Microsoft Edge is a standard browser in Windows 10 that replaces Internet Explorer.
To view a story in Edge, open the story menu using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + H. You can also open this menu by following these steps:
- Click the “Hub” button located in the upper right corner of the window.
To clear your browsing history in Edge:
- Open the story menu.
- Click the Clear All History button.
- Check the box next to each type of data that you want to delete. The browsing history is the first item on the list, so make sure it is checked.
- Click the Show More button to see additional options. Select everything you want to delete.
- Click the “Clear” button to delete the selected data.
- If you want to automatically delete the selected data after closing the browser, check the box "Always delete this data when I close the browser."
- When done, click on the Hub button
To view browsing history in Firefox:
- If the home page is not set, you can click on the “Log” button in any browser window. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + H.
To erase browsing history in Firefox:
- Click on the drop-down menu button.
You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Del.
To access your browsing history in Chrome:
- Press the keys and Ctrl + H or type chrome: // history in the address bar.
- Press the menu button.
Click the "Delete Data" button.
- To access the log of visited web resources, go to the browser properties: click on the gear icon in the upper corner of the window or open the “Tools” menu. The item "Properties" is at the very bottom.
- In the properties window, go to the "General" tab and in the "Browsing history" section, click on the "Delete" button.
- In the next window, select “Log” (list of visited websites) and click “Delete” again.
- By clicking on the “Ellipsis” button in the upper panel, we open the main menu. Go down and click "Options".
- Find the option to clear the browser data in the list of parameters and click "Choose what you want to clean."
- In the next menu, select “Browsing History” and press the clear button.
In order not to go into every browser and not clear the history, it is much more convenient to use specials. utilities - cleaners. I recommend CCleaner, System Care, Wise Care for these purposes (the first, in my opinion, is most preferable - it is in it that I will show the whole process of work).
By the way, on my blog I have an article about the best programs for cleaning Windows from garbage - I think now linking to it will be very useful: https://ocomp.info/programmyi-dlya-ochistki-musora.html
In addition, these specialized cleaning utilities have features such as overwriting deleted files - i.e. The utility makes other programs unable to recover deleted files. Those. as a result, we clean the history completely and permanently - so that it will subsequently be impossible to restore!
CCleaner is one of the best utilities for quickly and efficiently cleaning Windows from garbage. The utility very carefully approaches its work - it only deletes junk files that will not damage the operation of your system. In addition to its immediate task, the utility can defragment registry files (to improve performance), delete uninstalled programs, control startup, etc. functions.
Consider clearing your browser history.
After starting the utility, click the "Analysis" button - it will allow you to assess the degree of "contamination" of Windows with various junk information (temporary files, broken shortcuts, tails in the registry, browser cache, etc.) within a minute or two.
Analysis of the system and browsers in particular (estimate how much garbage has accumulated)
In my case, CCleaner found about 21,408 MB of garbage - which, you see, is not enough!
Please note that the menu on the left shows which browsers will be cleared. If you do not want to clear the history in a specific browser, uncheck the boxes next to it.
To start cleaning, click the button with the same name below (see screenshot below).
Clearing 21,408 MB of garbage
How to clear history in Opera
Opera makes it possible both to clear the entire story and to remove only selected pages from it. But first you need to go to the main menu (“Opera” button) and click on the “History” item. Or just press Ctrl + H on the keyboard.
- To delete all data for the selected period of time (from the very beginning of using the browser, per week, per day or in the last hour), click on the “Clear visits” in the upper right corner.
- In the new window, select the item of the same name and press the clear button.
- To delete individual pages viewed, go back to the log (Ctrl + H) and move the cursor to the desired line. Click on the cross that appears on its right side.
How to clear history in Yandex.browser
We analyze the example of Yandex browser version 188.8.131.5276.
The steps to clear browsing pages in Yandex Browser are almost the same as in Opera and Google Chrome. And now you will see how slightly they differ.
- We go to the “historical” section of the Yandex web browser, opening the main menu by clicking on the button with three stripes. Or by pressing Ctrl + H.
- To erase a single record, right-click on the arrow in the form of a triangle, which appears on the right when you hover over the line, and mark “Delete from history”.
- To completely remove the magazine, click "Clear History."
- In the next window, mark the views, select the time range and click on the corresponding button to start cleaning.
How to clear history in Firefox
I am using Mozilla Firefox version 43.0.4. If you have one of the earlier, this instruction is suitable for you. So…
- The main menu, from which access to the section we need opens, is still hiding behind the icon with three horizontal stripes in the upper panel. We’ll go into it and select “Journal” or press Ctrl + H.
- Our next choice is the “Delete History” item, which in addition is opened with the hot keys Ctrl + Shift + Delete.
- In the new window, mark visits and downloads, indicate the time interval and click OK.
To erase individual entries about the pages viewed, go back to the previous menu and select “Show entire log”. The list, divided into periods, opens in the "Library" window. To remove an unnecessary entry, click on it with the "right mouse" and select "Delete this page."
How to recover deleted information about visited sites
With methods for removing traces of web surfing, I hope everything is clear. Now a little information for those who act as the controller of negligent Internet users. Know: information about which sites were viewed on a computer can be restored!
If you thought about conventional data recovery programs, then they are unlikely to help in the way the small HstEx spyware utility can do, which can extract all the ins and outs of most popular browsers.
How to use HstEx:
- Install and run HstEx with admin privileges.
- In section Input / Output Settings specify three parameters:
- Data source - the volume or disk image where the search should be performed.
- Export folder - folder to save the restored.
- Data type - The browser whose data will be read.
- Click “Start” and wait for the recovery to complete.
- Enjoy discredit on the ward of the user.
When strolling through the vastness of the global network, remember that many of the data that you consider deleted is successfully recoverable. So that once it’s not “excruciatingly painful”, visit incriminating sites in incognito mode and only from a personal computer or smartphone.
Safari on iPhone and iPad
To view and delete your browsing history on iOS:
- Open the Safari browser on your mobile device.
- Scroll up until you see the address bar located at the top of the screen and the toolbar located at the bottom.
- In the toolbar, click on the fourth icon on the left, which looks like a book.
- Click the "History" button.
- Click the "Clear" button.
So that the story could not be restored.
If you want your story not to be restored with the help of specials. programs (for example, such: https://ocomp.info/10-programm-dlya-vosstanovleniya-dannyih.html), you need to do one more operation - wipe the free space with zeros.
You did not notice that copying information to a disk takes a long time, and deleting takes 1-2 seconds. and there is no file. Why is that?
The fact is that when you delete a file, Windows simply begins to think that it does not have anything on this address on the disk, and at any time you can write new information there. BUT! The file itself, until a certain point, does not disappear anywhere from the disk, and until this place on the disk is overwritten, it can be restored.
The operation of overwriting free space will just go through such areas on the disk and hammer them with “zeros” so that there is nothing to restore.
Thus, to completely delete the history, after the program reports to you about the successful completion of the cleaning operation, go to the section "Service / Erase discs" and select the following options:
- only free space (we have already deleted the story from the occupied one),
- simple dubbing (the easiest option is both fast and fairly reliable),
- local drive "C: " (specify the drive where you have the browser installed).
Erase free space (so that all deleted files cannot be recovered)
The erase operation can last quite a long time - it may take 1-2 hours per 1 TB disk. But, usually, the Windows system disk is still made smaller, and therefore the operation is much faster. In any case, if you are worried about the story, the extra 10-20 minutes do not play a big role.
There is another important point. Some browsers enable one very interesting feature by default: history synchronization (for example, it is in Chrome). And if you are registered and authorized in the browser, then the whole story not only accumulates on your hard drive, but also on Google servers (data is sent from time to time to the cloud).
Thus, deleting the entire history on the disk, and then opening the browser, you can see that the history has not disappeared, the entire visit log will be filled, as before. Therefore, before cleaning, I recommend disabling history synchronization in the browser.
In Chrome, this is done quite simply, you need:
- either open Settings / Sync and turn off synchronization,
- either open the page chrome: // settings / syncSetup , and similarly move the slider to off.
Disabling History Sync in Chrome (Settings / Sync)
After this disabled option - the history will not be restored after it is deleted from the disk. You can sleep peacefully.
Although we deleted the story completely, there are still some ways that help partially find out what web resources you visited. I talked about how to do this in one of my articles, I give a link to it below (I recommend that you read it).
How to see the history of site visits, even if it is deleted - https://ocomp.info/posmotret-istoriyu-posesh-saytov.html
With this method, do not forget that on the disk there will be information that can be restored using special. programs (because without third-party utilities you cannot “zero” the free space on the HDD).
Perhaps the only plus of this method: no need to download and install additional programs.
There are three ways in the Chrome browser to enter the site history log:
- click on the "three lines" icon in the upper corner of the screen, select "History" - "View History". A magazine should open,
History in Chrome browser
To clear the story, just click the link of the same name in the menu on the left. See the screenshot below.
To open the quick clear history window, Chrome has a special key combination - Ctrl + Shift + Del. The window that opens after this click is shown below.
Ctrl + Shift + Del - which window opens in Chrome
If you don’t want Chrome to remember the history, turn on incognito mode (using the Ctrl + Shift + N button combination) or select this option in the settings. The browser will open a new window - which will be protected from tracking.
In incognito mode - Chrome doesn’t remember the story!
Also do not forget that to completely clear all traces - you need to wipe the free space with the help of specials. utilities. I talked about this in the first part of the article!
- To quickly clear the history - click Ctrl + Shift + Del . The combination is the same as in Chrome.
- To open the story: press the key combination Ctrl + H, or open the menu "O -> story" (note: "O" is a red circle in the upper left corner). See the screenshot below.
History in Opera
- the first way - you can call up a quick cleaning window. Keys: Ctrl + Shift + Del. Next, indicate the time for which the history will be deleted, for example, in 1 hour.
Mini-window in Firefox - shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + Del
you can call the side menu with the magazine and see your story for 1 day, week, month, etc. In addition to viewing, there is also a function to delete it. To call the side menu - press Ctrl + H.
Sidebar with History - Ctrl + H in Firefox
Well, the third way is to click on the icon with 4 sticks (such as books) in the top panel, then select a magazine and decide what to do with it - look, delete, etc.
Firefox - the main window
If you often erase browsing history in your browser, use incognito mode.
If you click on the address bar, then using the keyboard shortcut Shift + Del you can delete individual elements of the browsing history.
If you do not see the File, Edit, View menu in Internet Explorer or Firefox, press the Alt key.
This publication is a translation of the article “How do I clear my Internet browser history” prepared by the friendly team of the Internet technology project.