The portable Sony PlayStation Portable set-top box has won the love of users, and is still relevant, even if it has not been produced for a long time. The latter leads to a problem with games - discs are becoming increasingly difficult to find, and the console has been disconnected from PS Network for several years now. There is a way out - you can use a computer to install gaming applications.
How to install games on PSP using PC
First of all, users who want to play games on this console from a computer are forced to disappoint - even at the time of its release, it had low hardware characteristics, so there is only ScummVM, a virtual machine for launching quests of the 90s, for this platform. A further article will be devoted to installing PSP games from a computer.
In order to install the game using a computer on the memory card, we need:
- The console itself with modified firmware, preferably based on the latest software release, and at least 2 GB Memory Stick Duo media. We do not recommend using Memory Stick Duo adapters for microSD, as this has a bad effect on stability,
- MiniUSB cable for connecting to a computer,
- A Windows PC or laptop running at least Vista.
As an alternative, you can use a Memory Stick adapter for a computer: remove the card from the console, insert it into the adapter and connect the latter to a PC or laptop.
Now a few words about the games. It is desirable to have “native” games for this platform in the ISO format, since some of those in the CSO format may work incorrectly or not work at all. PSX games should be in the form of a directory with files and subfolders.
The procedure is as follows:
- Connect the PSP to the computer using the USB cable, then open the console "Settings" and go to USB connection. If you are using the adapter option, skip this step.
The computer must recognize the device and download all the necessary drivers to it. On Windows 10, the process takes place almost instantly, on older versions of “windows” you have to wait a bit. To open the memory card directory of the memory card, use "Guide": open section "Computer" and find the connected device in the block "Devices with removable media".
See also: Adding the “My Computer” shortcut to the desktop in Windows 10 A little nuance about games. Often they are distributed in archives of the RAR, ZIP, 7Z formats, which are opened by the corresponding programs. However, some archivers perceive ISO as an archive (in particular, WinRAR), so always look carefully at the file extensions. PSX games must be unpacked. Go to the directory where the games are located, then find the desired ISO file or folder with the PSX game there, select the desired one and copy it in any convenient way.
See also: How to enable display of extensions on Windows 7 and Windows 10 Return to the directory of the PSP memory card. The final directory depends on the type of game being installed. Game images should be moved to the catalog ISO.
PSX and Homebrew games should be installed in the directory Game, which is located in the PSP directory.
Possible problems and solutions
The prefix is not detected by the computer
A fairly common malfunction, which most often occurs due to the lack of drivers or problems with the cable or connectors. Problems with the drivers can be solved by reinstalling them.
Also try replacing the cable or plugging it into another USB port. By the way, PSP is not recommended to be connected to a computer through hubs.
I copied the game, but it is not visible in the "Memory Stick"
There can be several reasons for this problem, the most common of them - they tried to install the game on the official firmware. The second - the game is in the wrong directory. Also, problems with the image itself, memory card or card reader are not excluded.
The game has installed normally, but it’s not working properly
In this case, the reason is the ISO or, more often, the CSO file. Games in the latter format take up less space, but compression often disrupts the performance of resources, so it is recommended to use full-size images.
As you can see, the procedure for installing games on a PSP using a computer is quite simple.
Thank the author, share the article on social networks.
Sony Computer Entertainment Introduces Next Generation Handheld Game System Launched in 2011 January 27, 2011 at a specially organized press conference in Tokyo (Japan), Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) introduced a new portable gaming system of a new generation (codenamed - NGP), which will be a real breakthrough in the field of portable entertainment.
How to set ISO, CSO and PSX games?
How to install games on PSP
Instructions for installing ISO and CSO games for PSP:
How to run * ISO and * CSO games on PSP?
To do this, you must have custom firmware installed (M33, GEN, or Prometheus), preferably the latest version.
For firmware GEN, M33 and Prometheus
1. First, download the game for the PSP in ISO or CSO format. The game may be in the archive (.rar, .zip, .7z )
2. We take out from the archive the game itself (image) whose format (ISO or CSO).
3. We throw the game into the folder X: / ISO / at the root of the memory card (where Xyour memory card). If there is no such folder, then we create it ourselves, but rather we format the memory card via PSP, and all folders appear.
4. Go to A GAME - Memory stick and there is your game. Najimaey X and enjoy the game!
* If the game does not work on the PSP, insert any game disc (you can also have a demo) into the UMD drive, so that the game is playing. You can still in the menu RECOVERY enable function Use NO-UMD (Configuration - Use NO-UMD), does not work with all games, so if you have at least one drive, then do not enable this mode.
Instructions for installing PSX (games from PS1 consoles) games for PSP:
You must have custom firmware installed (GEN, M33 or Prometheus), preferably the latest version.
For firmware GEN, M33 or Prometheus
1. First, download the PSX game.
2. We take out the folder with the game files from the archive.
3. We throw it in the folder X: / PSP / GAME / in the root of the memory card. If there is no such folder, then we create it ourselves.
4. Go to the GAME - Memory Stick and there is your game. Press X and enjoy the game!
Unfortunately, some games go only to 3.52 M33, and some only go to 3.71 M33. Therefore, we need to ensure that we can choose the necessary method for launching each PSX game.
To do this, we need to download POPSLoader (it already contains the ability to use the choice of PSX download method from 3.52 and 3.72). After downloading, unzip the contents of the archive to the root (top) directory of your memory card. If asked about the need to replace files, agree.
Now we go into Recovery mode on the PSP (see how to do this) and in the Plugins section activate the popsloader plugin (Enabled should be written next to it). This will allow you to select the necessary kernel when starting the PSX game.
Copy PSX games to PSP:
You must unzip the archive with the game into the PSP / GAME folder of your memory card. As a result, the full path to the game should be of the form PSP / GAME / Name of the game / EBOOT.PBP
The game starts from the menu Memory Stick> Memory Card
Choosing a PSX game download method:
Now, when downloading a game from our catalog, you should pay attention to the item “Download Method”. If at this point there is only 3.52 POPS, then we need to use the 3.52 firmware files to run this game. Fortunately, we do not need to reflash each time, all the dirty work for us will be done by POPSLoader.
How does POPSLoader work?
When you start each PSX game for the first time, you will be asked to select a launch method (only points 3.52 and Original from flash work. If the game requires 3.52, select 3.52. If the game requires 3.72, select Original from flash. After the first launch, the system will remember your choice, and will no longer pester you with this question on this game.
If for some reason you want to change the boot method, just hold down the right trigger (R Shift) when loading the PSX game and make your choice again.
If you don’t see the choice of the download method at all, then you have not activated the plugin (read above).
* Perhaps the original size of the picture will seem too small for you, so you have the opportunity to stretch it to full screen by pressing HOME (after starting the game) and selecting the menu item Settings -> Screen mode -> Full screen
* As for management, you can also configure it as you like using the Assign Buttons menu item.
* When playing multi-disc versions of PSX games, we have a new menu item - Change disc. As a rule, it is inactive until the system prompts you to insert another disk.
Installing Homebrew Applications on PSP
A hacked console can run pirated versions of games, also third-party applications that significantly expand the capabilities of an already functional platform.
Depending on the version of official software, the appropriate firmware method. To get everything we will talk about later, you can contact to the workshop, where within one day the wizard will quickly install the appropriate software.
How to install the game on PSP
Step one - loading images. You need to enter the name of the game on the computer in the browser search bar and download it to your computer, for example, via torrent.
Most often, games will look like a file with permission .cso or .iso. If it downloaded in the archive, unzip it to any folder on your hard drive.
Second step - connecting the console to the PC. There are 2 options for downloading the game to your PSP:
- Connect it with miniUSB-USB cable
- Remove the memory card and insert it into the card reader.
PSP uses memory cards Memory Stick PRO Duo.
If you connect using a cable, the console should be turned on at that moment. The computer will display a message about the discovery of a new device and offer to select the actions that we can perform with it. We need access to files on a memory cardthat we choose.
The same thing will happen with a Memory Stick.
Before inserting a memory card into a computer, it needs to be formatted (all data will be deleted). This procedure is done only at the first connection, then at will.
To format a Memory Stick, go to “Settings” - “System Settings” - “Format Memory Stick”.
Third step - Installing games on the PSP. Unlike other stitched consoles, the process itself does not require any additional settings or other “dances with a tambourine”.
- Games on the PSP we throw in the folder ISOcreated in the root of the memory card (you can install the game on the PSP in ISO or in CSO formats - no difference)
- Disconnect the console from the PC / remove the memory card and insert it into the console,
- Go to the games menu.
As you can see, nothing complicated in installing games from PC to PSP simply no.
Download PSP games without firmware it is impossible, if it comes to booting from a PC. Games for official PSP firmware are bought on the PS Store or on UMD disks.
Besides, how to throw off games on PSP, in this article you can find out which applications can be installed.
List top PSP apps you can see here.
If you're a fan of the PS One and other 90s consoles, install emulatorwhich will launch games from GameBoy and GameBoy Advance, Sega Megadrive, Dendy, etc.
In addition, by downloading the file manager, which has a built-in player and a “reader” for books, you can not only manage all the files on your console, but also listen to music in certain formats.
In our workshops produced PSP firmware . You can safely trust the many years of experience of our experts. Call and sign up!
If the above is not enough, special video and audio players help to brighten up time in transport, in the park, at break, in the queue and other places.