(1 ratings, average: 5,00 out of 5)
I would like to get a thoroughbred puppy so that I can be proud of my dog. There are so many offers that are suitable for the price. The Internet is full of ads for the sale of cute pets. However, doubts creep in, and not unfounded - and then they will be deceived. How to determine the breed of a dog more precisely so as not to make a mistake and not to waste money in vain?
How to determine the breed of a dog from a photo
All ads for selling dogs online are accompanied by photographs, sometimes very attractive. It seems that she, a long-awaited dream, looks at you from the next shot with such touching eyes. Should I trust this picture?
Accurately determining the breed of a dog from a photo is almost impossible. Provided that there is no pedigree information and scanned documents are not presented. Not only because an unscrupulous seller can change the picture presented on the Internet on the bulletin board using Photoshop. The fact is that in the text of the announcement usually do not publish those exterior parameters that are required to determine thoroughbred.
This, for example, height, weight, chest volume, body length from the withers to the tail, etc. In addition, each breed has its own unique international standards. All the nuances are known only to a specialist who deals specifically with a particular pedigree group.
Even a highly qualified professional is not able to say specifically by examining a photograph of a dog. He can only state that this animal has more or less similarities with one or another breed. How much the appearance of the dog meets the standard will be difficult to judge.
In addition, not everyone has the opportunity to find such a specialist. Nevertheless, on the Internet there is a resource that does not help exactly, but nevertheless determine from a photo online the possible membership of a dog in a particular breed. This resource should be perceived, rather, as a game and not consider the information issued to it thorough.
This is the site https://www.what-dog.net. Here you can download the selected photo, and automatically get the result.
The technology consists in the fact that a computer program recognizes a species of an animal by the location of its eyes, the configuration of the nose, ears of the dog shown in the photograph. However, the camera is able to somewhat distort the real appearance of the pet. After all, it is proposed to use a webcam for photographing, which even more so does not compare in quality with the good camera. Therefore, the result is unlikely to be reliable.
Any specialist dog handler will say that you cannot determine the breed of a dog by a puppy, especially a newborn. After all, puppies change literally every week, grow. Not only the length of the paws or the fit of the ears, but even the color may change.
For example, Yorkshire terriers in puppyhood are short-haired and brown in color. And when they become adults, their hair becomes long and on the back can acquire a special bluish tint.
How many cases when they got a seemingly purebred puppy, and something unimaginable grew. Only remotely similar to the representative of the selected breed.
The only criterion is to acquire a puppy from an authoritative breeder who cares specifically about the conservation and distribution of the breed, and is not only engaged in personal enrichment. Documents must be in order, not fake. You should also look at the parents of your future pet to make sure that the breeder is honest.
As I was offered to breed "thoroughbred chihuas"
There was a curious case with me. I was walking with my dog Zosya, a lap-dog, along the street. A certain citizen came up to us and offered to bring my dog to one of his male chihuahua dogs. He, as it turned out, is a breeder and specializes in breeding “chihuashas,” as he put it.
He was not at all embarrassed that I asked the question about the thoroughbredness of those puppies that would result from such a cross. He only noticed that "chihuashki" would be born, which customers would simply tear off with their hands for a lot of money, which we will share later.
Naturally, I did not agree to such an adventure. I do not need to deceive people who want to buy thoroughbred animals, especially at a serious price. And the prospect of making a beloved dog out of a beloved dog somehow did not please. Not to mention the fate of Mestizo puppies.
So the authority of the breeder, fame and good reviews of satisfied customers are practically the most important criteria for choosing a purebred puppy.
Puppies most unlike adults
Here are the breeds whose puppies are completely unlike adult dogs:
- Tibetan Terrier - in puppyhood it is a small and fluffy lump with a cute snub nose and short hair. But, becoming an adult, he turns into a dog with unusually long hair, which grows, including on the head. Completely closing eyes and ears.
- Bobtail - representatives of this long-haired breed, being puppies, unlike adults, have curly hair and a completely different color.
- Saluki - in childhood, this is an awkward puppy whose movements are awkward, which causes a smile and emotion. He does not even remotely resemble an adult dog of this breed. Slim, light and precise in every movement. Grace and grace are complemented by the long hair on the ears and tail that appears only after 8 months of life.
- Bearded collie –Puppies of this breed are determined extremely difficult. These are curly fluffy lumps. How they grow up if there are no documents is completely incomprehensible. These kids turn into quite tall dogs with magnificent straight long hair of a peculiar double color.
- Bergamo shepherd - the kids are shaggy, but the coat is short, black. During growing up, these animals acquire a surprisingly long coat of wool, which consists of three types of hair rods. The hair grows for 5-6 years until it completely covers the dog, from the crown of the head to the ground.
- Otterhound - this breed in childhood cannot be determined at all. Characteristic signs appear only after growing up. These are thick eyebrows and a beard.
How can I determine the breed of a dog by appearance
Accurately determine the breed of a dog by appearance can be over the age of 1, and in some cases 2 years. It is easiest to go to the vet and do a DNA test. However, this is an expensive procedure that will take more than one day. In addition, not every city has a similar technology.
You can try to do it yourself, armed with a directory with a description of international standards of various breeds. To do this, be patient and understand where to start and in which direction to move. First of all, you should familiarize yourself with the basics.
Absolutely all dogs can be divided into three main groups:
- Thoroughbred purebred breeding dogs. These animals have external features that meet international standards. Data on this is contained in the passport, which records the nickname of the animal, information about the breed, color. The origin of each puppy is recorded in the pedigree, which indicates the so-called purity of blood. Information is given here about all of his ancestors, parents, and the owner. The pedigree is drawn up starting from 6 months of age up to 15 months. Therefore, if the breeder offers to take a two-month-old puppy with a pedigree already prepared, then such a document is a fake. A mark and a chip may be present on the body of the animal. Then information about such a chipped dog can be obtained at a veterinary clinic or at a dog breeders club. If you find a dog "suspicious" of a breed on the street, but there is no brand or chip, then you should contact a specialist, veterinarian. He will conduct its inspection for compliance with international standards of the breed to the parameters of the body of the "foundling."
Metis Husky and Shepherd Dog
Methods for determining the breed
There are many standard criteria that correspond to the characteristics of a particular breed. However, the main ones are worth exploring in more detail.
Any specialist, starting an examination of an animal, first of all pays attention to his age. Since it is necessary to understand - an adult animal or a puppy in front of him.
The age is usually set by the teeth. Here the reliability is not very high if the dog was picked up on the street. Indeed, even in a puppy, as a result of a difficult life, his teeth may be worn out and in the wrong condition as in a baby born in favorable conditions, in the family or in the nursery.
Then proceed to the examination of the body to determine the main parameters. One of the main the size dogs:
- Dwarf breeds - weight up to 5 kg in adulthood, growth not more than 30 cm at the withers.
- Small breed - weight from 5 to 12 kg, height from 30 to 40 cm.
- Medium - weight, respectively, from 12 to 22 kg, height from 40 to 55 cm.
- Large - weight from 20 to 30 kg, height - 56-65 cm.
- Very large - weight from 40 to 50 kg, height 70-75 cm.
- Giants are those that exceed the size of very large breeds.
Belonging to a specific breed group can be understood by the structural features of the skeleton of the animal in combination with other parameters. For example, the structure of the skull is the length of the muzzle, the setting of the ears. The height of the paws and their shape, etc.
- The narrow backbone. Its characteristic features are narrow, equal in width chest and pelvis. Usually a narrow skeleton is combined with other parameters. Tall, muscular slender legs. Long elongated muzzle. The abdomen is lean, the sternum is voluminous. Ribs low, almost down to the elbows. In general, the constitution is dry, and the body shape is streamlined. Similar signs are characteristic of running breeds - greyhounds and hounds. Representatives of breed groups:
- Russian greyhound
- Scottish greyhound
- English hound
- American Bulldog, Russian Greyhound
- The middle backbone. This is a wide chest and a narrow pelvis. Such a skeleton structure has many breeds. Starting with the Finnish Spitz and ending with the Husky. With an average skeleton, it is very important to determine other characteristics in order to establish belonging to the breed. However, typical service dogs are all service dogs, including shepherd dogs. German Shepherd
- Broad backbone. A wide chest is equivalent to a powerful and heavy pelvis. Usually such a physique is characteristic of strong and muscular animals. They have large paws, a wide skull, powerful jaws, a strong nose with large nostrils. Here are typical breeds:
- Mastiff, Alabay
- Shortened skeleton. Typically, the body of such dogs is square. The hind legs are slightly shorter than the front. Such animals often do not have a very long or even short nose. As an example - Pekingese, Spitz. Most often, shortened skeleton are dwarf and small-breed animals. Pekingese
Other breed characteristics
Important features that are found in international breed standards to which you should pay attention:
- Posture. Representatives of different breeds may have a different back inclination: descending, inclined, straight. For example, German Shepherds by standard should have a back angle of 20 degrees. If the back is sagging, this is not a feature of the breed at all, but a sign of a disease or malformation of the animal.
- Head. Here, all the smallest details are taken into account, including its size, various details of the shape of the skull, the transition from the forehead to the nose, the development of the jaws, the ratio of the cranial part to the facial percentage, the shape of the back of the nose, lips, etc.
- The ears. They can have different sizes and shapes, as well as fit. Ears can be erect, semi-erect, hanging, cropped.
- Teeth. Different breeds have their own dental formulas and types of bite.
- Eyes. The color of the eyes, their shape, incision, fit and even look are evaluated. German shepherds, for example, have a piercing gaze. The color of the eyelids and the hair around the eyes also matter. In colored lapdogs, eyes should be as if summed up with a black pencil, as human fashionistas do.
- Neck. It can be long, short, wide and thin. Even the angle of inclination in degrees with respect to the horizontal of the back is taken into account.
- Tail. The variety here is incredible. Take into account its length, position - above the spine or below. Straight or curled, with a stiff or silky long coat, fluffy or short coat, cropped or not.
- Paws Separately, the front and hind limbs are considered. Here the parameters are complex, there are many of them. There may be requirements for the angle of inclination between the scapula and the humerus. The ratio of the forearm and metacarpus, the angle of their location in relation to each other. The angle formed by the thigh and lower leg. The location of the elbows, the shape of the toes, pads. The condition of the joints and much more, say, the color of the claws.
- Leather. It can be close to the body or located in folds of various sizes and in certain places. In this case, the color of the nose is very important.
Animal hair is one of the most important breed criteria. Here, not only its color is evaluated, but also its structure.
Take a look at how a completely unique specialist, with amazing knowledge and unusual sensitivity, determines the breed of dogs by touch, according to the structure of the coat. Although, keep in mind, this is just a show, and Irina Korkh sets in fact not a breed, but a phenotype:
Dogs have 5 types of coat:
- Coat of medium length with undercoat, which is found in most animals. An example is for shepherds, pugs, husky dogs.
- The coat is long with and without undercoat. It is found in Yorkshire terriers, varieties of spaniels, collies, Maltese lapdogs, shitsu, lhasa.
- Smooth coat without undercoat. It can be tough, like a schnauzer. Soft - found in different terriers, pinschers, boxers.
- Curly with undercoat, which is also curled. Here you can name poodles, lagoto romagnolo, Portuguese water dog.
- Hairless breed - Chinese Crested, Mexican Hairless Dog.
The color of the wool is, at times, of fundamental importance for determining the breed of the animal. In dogs, it is very diverse. Primary colors - black, brown, red. All the rest are only options and shades, indicating the clarification of the primary colors: gray, fawn, blue, apricot, murugi, coffee.
White color also is basic. In this case, the wool contains an extremely small amount of coloring pigment, in fact this is albinism. However, complete albinos are not found among dogs.
The color of the coat in dogs may not be continuous, but may consist of different sections of two or more colors. Due to what a certain pattern is formed on the body of the dog. This effect is called coloring:
- Black color - usually consists of two colors, red and brown, red and black, like German shepherds, for example, black and gray. A darker shade is usually expressed on the back, partially covering the ears, forehead, shoulders, hips, and the upper part of the tail. For some breeds, shades of black color and its location are important.
- Tan - also two-tone with different shades. The main background of the animal’s coat is usually dark, and the tan is lighter. They can have a peculiar pattern, like a Doberman or Rottweiler. Settle in certain areas of the body.
- Wolfish, gray-gray when the hair itself is colored unevenly. Deep darker color, and to the top - light. Rare red color is rare.
- Brindlewhen fairly bright stripes of dark color are noticeable on the main light background. They can cover only certain parts of the body or the entire body. The color distinguish red, gray and porcelain tiger color. By the location of the stripes, it can be blurred, merged, intermittent.
- Piebald - a combination of dark and white spots on the chest, head, legs, tip of the tail.
- Marble color - the main background is white, but torn dark spots are located throughout the body, the magnitude of which is completely different. Smaller ones are located on the head, limbs, and larger ones are located on the body.
- Spotted color - This is a white background, on which black, red or gray spots go. They spread throughout the dog’s body, not only along the body, but also on the head, on the ears, around the eyes, tail.
- Speckled color - similar to marble, but differs from it in that the spots are small and of the same size, evenly distributed throughout the body. Типичные представители – это далматинец и английский сеттер.
It should be noted that for some breeds, the combination of the color of the coat, eyes, eyelids and nose is very important.
Behavior and character
Different breeds of dogs breeders bred not only for the sake of beauty. The man needed hunting assistants, defenders, rescuers. Therefore, not only the appearance, but also the behavior of the animal was adjusted in the selection process. Some instincts stood out, while others tried to obscure, to make less obvious. So the working qualities of dogs were born that characterize a particular breed and are their hallmarks.
For example, shepherd dogs are shepherd dogs. They genetically incorporated such behavior. Having met a cow, a sheep on its way, the shepherd immediately takes up its "duties". Her concern is to collect the animals in a herd and protect them. Sometimes shepherd dogs also behave in relation to people, children. Taking care of the kids, the dog can even sometimes nibble them slightly on the heels, as she does, driving the sheep.
Hunting dogs have an unusually subtle sense of smell. They make a stand if they are envious of prey, their instinct for persecution is highly developed, but at the same time they are not able to carry out security functions.
Why you need to determine the breed
The information you receive by studying your dog’s breed will be very important for further care and training.
Some breeds suffer from special chronic diseases. It will be necessary to properly feed such an animal, walk, keep it in a certain place, so as not to provoke the manifestation of the disease.
There are breeds that need special care for wool and skin. One long-haired animal should not be cut so that it opens its eyes. To others categorically contraindicated too short haircuts, such as, for example, the Pekingese.
Knowing the working qualities of your dog, it will be easier to learn to subordinate and control it. Train to order and train. There will be no questions “why is she doing this, I'm shocked ...” and scolding her for “wrong”, from the point of view of the owner, behavior. Find the right approach to your dog so as not to inflict psychological trauma on it, uselessly trying to change what is in the genes.
By the way, genetically based behavioral characteristics should always be complemented by a good upbringing. You can’t let everything drift, because working qualities will never replace high-quality training.
If the dog turns out to be a purebred mongrel - not at all bad. "Dvorrier" is more resilient, smarter, healthier thoroughbred and purebred animals. Live longer, unpretentious in food. They will bring love and joy as much as the most expensive thoroughbred dogs.
The most important thing is to wonder why I need a thoroughbred dog. This is a fad so that the neighbors get envious or a serious hobby, to which you are ready to devote a rather substantial part of your life. Participate in exhibitions, spare no effort and money to care for the appearance, professionally train a pet. It requires a dog with certain working qualities or just a nice and cute friend.
When you answer this most important question, then you can choose a breed of dog for yourself.
Take an online test, determine what kind of dog it is
Take the test online, see if you can determine which breed of dog it is. Check how you are ready to have a cute pet.
Of course, you won’t determine the breed of the dog. From the photo, as you know, this is impossible to do. However, to determine the phenotype is quite possible. Check yourself how well you know the dog breeds, whether by appearance you can try to recognize them in the photo.
(1 ratings, average: 5,00 out of 5)
- Dog Breed Definition: Looking for Special Signs
- 1.1 Growth
- 1.2 Format
- 1.3 Color
- 1.4 Features of wool
- 1.5 Head shape
- 1.6 Ear shape
- 1.7 Tail
- 1.8 Character Features
And to identify which breed you are dealing with is sometimes very difficult. They gave you a dog, and the donor himself does not know whom he handed you? Or maybe you found someone else's lost pet, and you need to find out his breed in order to advertise? Or the employees of the animal shelter in which you took the dog are not sure: is it a bulldog or a boxer? Situations are different, but the algorithm for determining the breed is always the same.
Dog Breed Definition: Looking for Special Signs
So, a newly made pet or “foundling” in front of you. Arm yourself with a measuring tape (tape measure or tailor’s flexible meter), a catalog of dog breeds (preferably with a identifier from the photo and a detailed description of each breed) and proceed.
Growth. Measure the height of the dog - the distance from the floor to the top of the withers (the place where the shoulder blades connect). By this criterion you can determine which format the breed belongs to: giant - above 75 cm (Great Dane, Tibetan mastiff, etc.), medium - from 35 to 55 cm (Labrador, Collie, etc.), small - up to 30 cm (toy terrier, Pomeranian, etc.). Attention! Dimensions are for adult dogs. Puppies are getting harder.
Format. When looking at a standing dog from the side, you will notice that the format of its body is close to a square or rectangular shape. This is the ratio of body length to animal growth. For example, the Airedale, Giant Schnauzer has a square format. A rectangular, more elongated shape is characteristic of a pit bull, a German shepherd.
Color. Many breeds have a standard color, for example, characteristic spotted Dalmatians, black color for German shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans (black “vest” and lighter paws and chest).
Wool features. The breeds can be long-haired, short-haired and even without any hair. Wool can be straight, curly, wavy, fluffy or stiff, like a wire - this will also become one of the selection criteria when searching for the right breed in a catalog or directory.
Head shape. Depending on how massive the head is, dog handlers distinguish between heavy (Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, St. Bernard, etc.) and light heads (collie, greyhound, etc.). Also, the head can be long (collie, dachshund, etc.) or short (bulldog, pug, etc.). It is important to pay attention to the transition from the forehead to the muzzle - it can be almost imperceptible, like a collie, a bull terrier, or well expressed, like a St. Bernard, a chihuahua.
Ear shape. This is a very important sign of the breed, so carefully examine the dog’s ears and determine what type they are:
- erect (auricle fully raised up),
- semi-permanent (the upper part of the ear is bent),
- hanging on the cartilage (ears firmly "stand" on the cartilage at the base, and the rest hang freely),
- hanging (ears hang freely, starting from the base).
The tips of the ears can be sharp or rounded.
Tail. The tail of a dog can be twisted into a donut and lie on its side or be raised upward, it can have a saber shape or curl at the very tip, be cropped or be absent altogether. In movement, the dog can lift the straight tail up or carry it like a “log”, lowering it at a slight angle.
Character Features. In the first hours after the "meeting" the dog may not show its character to the full, because it does not feel very comfortable in an unfamiliar environment. But if you have already found a common language with the animal, pay attention to whether it is active in games or prefers to watch how someone else plays. She reacts vividly and “childishly” to praise, the call to play or answers you without losing dignity.
In the first case, it is highly likely that you are dealing with a dog of a hunting or sports breed. And restrained phlegmatic people can be guard, service breeds.
The greatest difficulty is the definition of a mestizo breed. More precisely, the determination that your new pet is a mestizo. They may manifest the characteristic features of several breeds at once, which took part in the “breeding” of such mixed offspring — Doberman’s shag and silly collie hair, standing ears of a German shepherd, tail “donut” like a husky, etc.
Therefore, in case of any difficulties, take the time to consult with an experienced dog handler. He will determine the breed of the dog and the "level" of its pedigree, and will also help to understand which cocktail from which breeds led to the birth of your pet.
And the most important thing. A dog without a pedigree, even if it is very beautiful, cannot be a full participant in pedigree shows and is not allowed to breed. So do not have illusions that a pet found or donated without documents will become a champion. You can specify its breed exclusively “for yourself”. But we love our dogs not only for diplomas and titles. Enjoy your friend’s company, and leave the battle for regalia to nurseries and breeders.
Why determine the breed
Knowing the breed of your pet is a non-empty whim of the owner. By pet affiliation to one or anothergroup of dogs can say a lot about the features of its development, health and behavior.
Depend on the breed:
- temperament, character, inclinations of the animal,
- predisposition to specific diseases,
- pet care features,
- training methods
- standards of appearance and behavior, evaluated at exhibitions.
Thoroughbred and not purebred
A puppy born to a thoroughbred mom and dad receives a passport and pedigree, which says that his parents belonged to a particular dog group and his parents also. Without this paper, a dog cannot be officially called a thoroughbred, even if all the signs are present. In terms of workflow and bureaucracy in animals, everything is like in humans.
Given the presence of the pedigree, as well as the external pedigree characteristics, all dogs can be divided into three large groups:
A passport-less dog is no worse than a dog with a passport. If she is considered to be purebred, but in all respects similar to a Doberman, you can proudly call her a Doberman and treat her like a Doberman. Most likely, she will not mind. Mestizos leave unlimited scope for imagination. Can show to friends strong-willed profile of the dog and claim that it is a German shepherd, even if the full-face of a pug.
Accurate definition of breed
How to find out your pet’s appearance with absolute accuracy?
If you examined the entire pet, but did not find the stigma anywhere, the test is expensive and there is no expert at hand, do not despair. You yourself are able to roughly determine which group of dogs yours belongs to. This will require:
- a good pedigree guide with clear pictures where you can see dogs from different angles,
- a keen eye for evaluating a dog’s parameters,
- patience to review dozens of breeds in search of the one true.
You can also use various online identifiers . You will have to answer a number of questions about your animal, evaluating its appearance and specificity of behavior. Based on your answers, the system will display a list of the most suitable breed groups, among which you will choose the most similar.
How do some breeds differ from others
If you were an expert in dogs, you could look at one of them and immediately make a conclusion about the breed. Your absolutely accurate verdict would be based on structural features animal and striking specificity of behavior.
Let us introduce ourselves as experts and try to see the differences between different groups of dogs.
A true professional will first determine the age of the animal, because the manifestation of pedigree signs in puppies and adults can be very different .
An excellent guideline is the presence or absence of milk teeth in the dog. A change in the set of teeth occurs around the age of 4-7 months. There are also a variety of tables linking the degree of abrasion of molars with the age of the animal, however, they do not always work.
A little puppy can almost always be recognized by its behavior and movements. They are clumsy, cowardly and playful. The proportions of the body are distorted relative to an adult animal: a large head, a pear-shaped tummy.
How to determine the breed of a puppy
If you, an expert, are asked how to find out the breed of a puppy, do not rush to answer that it is easy, unless the small dog is a smaller copy of the breed you are familiar with.
Funny four-legged child able to change greatly during the first year of life. At this point, he may have distinct signs of the breed, but may not appear.
The only reliable way to get a thoroughbred puppy is to take it from a professional breeder along with a full package of documents. These kids are usually not cheap .
The length of the hair of dogs can be classified as follows:
It should also be noted the nature of the undercoat, the presence of a bang or beard, the structure of the hair - hard or soft - and its shape - straight or curly.
Representatives of many breeds have a characteristic color, by which they can be easily recognized.
The constitution, or type of structure of the skeleton, is one of the important pedigree features. Some dogs are small and fragile, others are very powerful and massive. A professional evaluates an animal by the width and depth of the chest, the length of the body and legs, the structure of the pelvis.
The backbone of a dog can be:
An elongated and shortened structure is distinguished along the length of the body.
Small structural features , such as the size and shape of the ears, can tell the expert a lot about the breed of the animal.
Animals of different breeds are distinguished by temperament, behavior, reaction to dressing and instincts.
Some dogs have been used for a long time and are still used on the hunt, so they are immediately given habits: they sniff the air, always ready to drive the prey. It is easy to distinguish cattle dogs.
Almost all miniature breeds, as well as some large ones, have a choleric temperament, they love to run and play actively. Dogs and St. Bernards are melancholy, prefer a relaxing holiday.
Do not be discouraged if your pet does not resemble any of the official breeds by phenotype. Due to their genetic diversity, mestizos are considered healthier and smarter animals than their purebred counterparts. And any dog can become a faithful and devoted friend.
Attention, only TODAY!
When choosing dog breeds with photos you need to be guided not only by funny faces and touching poses. The goal should be - from a huge variety to choose just such a breed of dog that will correspond to the lifestyle and character of a particular person. You need to ask yourself a number of questions and honestly answer them. For example, you should think about how much time you are willing to devote to caring for a pet: combing, walking, training. It should also be borne in mind that the dog is a living creature that can be capricious, sick and must be fully responsible for it. Depending on the breed, the dog can be an excellent hunter, shepherd, guard, nanny, family companion or even an expensive prestigious “accessory”. You can choose a suitable breed of dog using the information and photos of dogs that are presented on our website.
The choice of a pet and friend for many years is very responsible, but also insanely pleasant. Therefore, when looking at dogs photos, a person always relaxes and is optimistic from cheerful animals, the most important quality of which is an incomprehensible character trait - a likeness of love for a person, obedience and fidelity.
Today in the world there are more than 400 dog breeds, and every year they appear more and more. In such a variety, it is very difficult for even a professional dog handler to navigate, not like ordinary fans of four-legged friends. But sometimes we have to figure out for ourselves which breed the doggie belongs to. How to quickly and easily find out the breed of a dog? Today we will open all possible ways!
Determined by appearance
To begin to understand what breed the dog or puppies belongs to, is from the appearance. Of course, this primarily applies to mature adult animals. It is important to evaluate each part of the body, the color of the coat, the features of the skeleton, and then you can use the identifier of dog breeds with a photo.
But belonging to one or another breed in the absence of documents should be determined by an expert at the exhibition. Only his opinion carries weight, for himself the owner can come up with any breed.
First of all, you should determine the size of the dog and evaluate its composition. Using a centimeter tape measure the height at the withers and assess which species the foundling belongs to - small, medium, giant. The withers are the upper back of the dog where the shoulder blades converge. For example, the toy terrier belongs to small breeds, the Great Dane - to gigantic, Labrador - to medium.
Next, the physique format is evaluated: the dog can have either a square or rectangular elongated type. Format is the ratio of body length to animal height. For example, a square type breed is a St. Bernard or a like, and the Australian Kelpie or pit bull are elongated. Well, any child will define a dachshund by her body as a “sausage”.
An important role in determining the breed is played by the dog’s coat, its structure and color. Many tetrapods have certain types of color and a special hairline - long, short, thick or rare, curly and so on. Например, шерсть, скрученную жгутами как у комондора, не спутаешь с волнистым и мягким мехом черного терьера. У некоторых и вовсе нет шерсти. Многим терьерам характерен достаточно жесткий волос, однако среди них немало и короткошерстных собак.
Many breeds have a special characteristic color. For example, Dalmatians are spotted, Dobermans - black or chocolate with tan, Labradors - plain black, fawn or brown. The German shepherd is black, zoned, and black.
Of course, one cannot exclude the possibility that the dog may be mixed with other blood or be “defective”, have a non-standard color. As an example, you can recall White Beam with a black ear - he was a Scottish setter, but with an atypical color.
We look at the shape of the skull
The shape of the head and skull of the dog is also an important factor in order to find out with the help of a breed identifier with a photo. There are different formats provided by the standards. So, dog handlers distinguish long (collie) and short heads (French bulldog), light (greyhound) or heavy (Staffordshire terrier). This part of the body can also be wedge-shaped or, conversely, cheekbone.
When using the determinant for the photo, it is important to take into account such an important detail as the severity of the transition from the forehead to the muzzle. Some dogs, such as the bull terrier, do not have a peculiar "step", but the Chihuahua has it clearly.
The lower jaw can protrude forward in dogs with a “bulldog” muzzle. In general, most breeds have a scissor bite.
We look at the ears and tail
Sometimes to tell which breed the dog belongs to, its ears will help. They can be standing, semi-standing, hanging on the cartilage or just hanging, as well as cropped. Certainly you will not confuse the huge "towels" of the basset with the small ears of a corgi. A husky’s auricle is always standing, but a dog’s can be either drooping or cropped.
By the way, by the way the ears are cropped, you can also try to determine the breed. In dogs that are characterized by qualities such as protection, the ears will be small. But those with whom they serve “for beauty” may have rather large sharp “locators”.
Remember about the tail, using the breed identifier with a photo. It happens to be twisted into a ring, saber, with a curl on the tip, stopped. There are dogs that, according to the standard, carry it, bullying high above their backs, and someone keeps it as if it’s poles even in motion.
Take into account the nature
When determining the breed, it is very important to find out what is the nature of the four-legged. Each breed was bred for specific purposes. Hunting or sporting dogs are usually energetic and tireless, service dogs are very hardy. Some breeds have a pronounced phlegmatic character (St. Bernard, Newfoundland), others behave with great dignity (Great Dane, Neapolitan mastino).
Of course, there are exceptions. For example, a Labrador, if he works as a guide, will most likely be very calm, although in fact the breed is very energetic and playful. And an ill-mannered bloodhound certainly will not impress a serious hunting dog.
Find out by photo
The easiest way is, having examined the dog carefully, determine the breed using the guide-determinant. There are a lot of them now both on the Internet and on bookshelves in stores. The qualifier-book presents the main (or even all) dog breeds with photos. It is through them that you can find the dog that is most similar to your fourth friend and find out what kind of blood it is.
It is easier with online identifiers - here it is necessary to tick off the necessary points in the description of the ears, tail, and hair of the dog. It remains only to wait for the verdict of the program and find out who your guest is. Mobile identifier applications are also being developed that will help search for lost dogs. You can learn more about it by watching the video.
We determine the breed for the puppy
But the puppy to find out the breed of the dog is often not possible. The fact is that almost all babies are very similar to each other, especially in the first weeks of life. As a rule, during this period it is only possible to more or less approximately determine to which size the puppies belong. Most likely, only a pedigree expert will cope with this difficult task.
However, there is a chance to find out who will grow out of the baby found. It is also worth fully evaluating the entire appearance of the puppy. Huskies usually have erect ears even at a young age, Dalmatians will be white or with color marks. By the way, according to the coloring of the puppy, it is not always possible to accurately identify - many overflow with age. Sometimes belonging to the species can be suggested by the shape of the head, tail or physique.
If the puppy does not have documents, then there are no guarantees that a thoroughbred dog will grow out of it. If you suddenly bought a baby on a “bird” without a pedigree, it makes no sense to post his photo on the forums, so that the breed tells you. It is not known whether you purchased a thoroughbred dog or an ordinary cur.
Since the dogs were domesticated, many breeds have been bred. To date, the total number of different varieties of four-legged friends is about four hundred. In this article we will tell our users how to find out and determine the breed of a dog with a photo, what is needed for this and why, in principle, this is done.
Why is it necessary to determine the breed of a dog?
"Help determine the breed of the dog." Such a question can be increasingly seen on various thematic resources on the World Wide Web.
There are different situations when a person needs to determine the breed of a dog, we will talk about them further:
- For example, if a four-legged friend was found on the street, and in its appearance it is very difficult to say about a predisposition to a particular breed. After all, each pet has the right to its own home. Often people ask such a question to veterinarians and dog handlers before taking an animal to their home.
- If you need to determine the breed of the puppy before buying it. As a rule, the question of the need to determine the variety of a pet arises precisely in such cases. After all, when the puppies are small, it is very difficult to say something about their belonging to a particular species. Most often, small puppies with their appearance resemble yard dogs, although in fact they are purebred. And vice versa - thoroughbred animals may well resemble thoroughbred ones, but this disappears with age. Accordingly, in the case of buying a puppy it is very easy to get caught on a mestizo.
- If you need to find relatives, albeit a beautiful, not thoroughbred pet. Sometimes it happens that the owners got a miniature dog, and later it turned out that this is not the breed that the seller told them about. Then people may need to determine the breed of the parents of their pet in order to understand how to raise it and how to care for such a dog.
We determine the breed by the appearance of
One of the easiest and most convenient methods for determining the breed of a dog is to examine its appearance. The entire description of the dog must be verified with the official standards of the variety you are thinking of. To do this, you need to take several steps:
- First of all, it is necessary to determine the characteristics of the animal. In particular, we are talking about certain traits inherent in individual breeds. Start recommended with your pet's body size. You will need to measure his height at the withers, mass, to assess his physique. An important factor in this case is the type of case, it can be rectangular or square. To measure height correctly, use a tape measure - measure the distance from the floor to the withers of the animal. It will also be useful to study the shape of the cranium, which can be either pointed (cone-shaped) or flattened.
In addition, it should be noted and the position of the ears, that is, what they are 0 straight or hanging, and maybe bent. The next point is the tail - it can be docked, raised above the back, lowered, ring-shaped or saber. The last thing to evaluate is the quality of the coat. Touch it to the touch, give an assessment of the fur - it can be soft, hard or silky. In addition, consider the length of the coat (short or long) and its characteristics - straight or curly. One of the main factors is also the color of the animal - it can be monophonic or spotty.
- Temperament and character. It should be noted that this trait is one of the important in determining the variety. Each breed of dog has its own specific character. For example, “hunters” by origin are always energetic and vigorous, they love outdoor activities and will start the game as soon as possible. If we talk about tame dogs, for example, such as Chihuahuas or, they are less active. This factor may not help to fully identify the animal species, but it should be taken into account.
- Use the correct literature. When you have already compiled a description of your four-legged friend and decided on his character, you need to find the right source of information. And not just a description of the standards, but complete information about each individual breed. We can advise you, if necessary, to use the search on our resource. In the "" section you will find complete information about all the popular and many dogs known today. It provides data on standards, nature and a full description of the most famous breeds.
- Recheck data. If you are almost sure that you have determined that your dog belongs to one or another breed, we recommend that you double-check your guesses in other sources. You can consult a veterinarian or dog handlers about this.
Looking for a breed of puppy
Read on for how to find out if a puppy is purebred or not. Finding out which variety of puppies is not so easy, because there are several nuances in this matter. First of all, if the pet does not have any documents defining its variety, then it is officially considered not thoroughbred. According to experts, in this case, you can hardly be sure that your dog belongs to a particular breed.
Remember that no matter what breed the puppy is, he is a living creature and even his belonging to yard dogs - this is not a reason to drive the animal out into the street.
If there is an urgent need to resolve this issue, then try to consult a veterinarian. A qualified specialist will help you find out which species the animal belongs to. If even a doctor at such an early age cannot say whether the pet has a species or not, then this question will have to be postponed until the dog has matured. As for the standards - in this case we are talking exclusively about adult dogs. And puppies can be fundamentally different from their parents until they grow up. Unfortunately, even a professional will not always be able to accurately answer this question.
We recognize the breed by photo
There is another option - post a photo of the animal on specialized online forums. It is impossible to exclude such a probability that someone can determine the type of animal from the photo. Therefore, if you want to find out if your animal belongs to any species or not, this option cannot be excluded.
In addition, you can try to determine belonging to a particular species from the photo using special tests. Whether your animal belongs to one or another breed or not can be found on the Internet. On special sites there are tests that allow you to resolve this issue. If you do not have a photo, then you need to take it - depending on the tests, photos may require different ones. But usually tests involve uploading photos in full face to a special server that will help determine the type of pet.
Of course, there is no absolute guarantee that the server will provide the correct information on the photo. But then you will know roughly what to look for next and among which varieties to choose.
Sorry, there are currently no polls available.
- DNA test. If you have already lost hope and do not know what to do, then you can take a DNA test. To date, the cost of such a test is quite small. The disadvantage is that so far there are not many varieties of animals in the database, but there are the most popular ones. In any case, such a test will help ease your task.
- Another piece of advice is psychological testing. Check the natural instincts of the animal, this will make it possible to determine at least a group. That is, you can try to determine the shepherd's qualities of the pet. As a rule, dogs of manual breeds are not at all interested in this.
- Consultations with specialists. Dog handlers and veterinarians always know more about animals than other people. Even if the veterinarian has not encountered one or another species, he has a greater chance of determining it.
Video “Which breed to choose”
We suggest you familiarize yourself with tips for choosing a dog.
During the domestication of the dog, many breeds are bred. According to general estimates, the number today ranges from 350 to 400. Some species have already been deleted from the register as extinct, others are represented by several individuals. How to determine the breed of a dog among a known variety?
It is possible to use dog breeds reference books. Each animal is accompanied by descriptions, photographs. Sources are incomplete. Sometimes a dog found is so unsightly that it’s difficult to judge the breed in appearance. Looking for the owners of the possible ancestors of the Mestizos. This is a difficult task. To simplify the search, special interactive programs have been created today. It is permissible to use the Internet, printed literature, ask dog breeders, dog handlers, veterinarians, place an ad.
Looking for breed in appearance
A simple and unambiguous way to identify a dog is to examine the appearance. You will need to make a description of the pet, as in the standards, then look for the right one. To determine the breed of a dog by description, a number of simple steps are performed:
- Identify the features of the dog. It will be necessary to identify traits specific to the breed. Start with the dimensions of the animal. Measure weight, height at the withers. Looking at the type of case: square or rectangular. Roulette is used to measure growth. It is necessary to measure the distance from the floor to the withers - the protruding part of the shoulder blades. The format of the body is the ratio of height to body length. Then they examine the shape of the skull - flattened or pointed. Mark the position of the ears: set, hanging or erect, bent. They look at the tail: bent into a ring, saber-shaped, cropped, raised above the back or lowered. Evaluate the properties of wool by running into the cover of the hands. Oriented to sensations: hard, soft, silky, long or short, straight, curly. The color of the animal is noted: monotony, spotting.
- Character is an important feature of the breed. The character was formed for the desired purpose. For example, hunting dogs are always cheerful, with a supply of energy, while decorative dogs are phlegmatic in nature, with sloth. It’s difficult to narrow the search circle by the mentioned attribute, but it is better to take it into account.
- Find a complete reference. When the description of the unknown dog is compiled, look for an authoritative source of information. In printed literature, dogs that are common and characteristic of the territory of residence are presented, and incomplete information is found on the Internet. It is permissible to try to determine the breed of a dog from a photo using special services. In the photo, the characteristic features of the animal should be completely noticed. Many special services are known where it will be possible to approximately model the appearance of the dog.
- Search for the necessary traits. If a similar dog is found in the picture, try to carefully study the description of the standard. It greatly complicates the search for uncleanness of the pet. Representatives of the "nobility", mestizos, have many relatives.
- Data checking. If the standard is defined, it is worth checking the guesswork in other sources of information. A simple survey of friends, a veterinarian consultation will clarify the breed.
Each standard is just a collection of common symptoms. Minor deviations are always possible. On the streets there are often dogs that do not match the declared description, counted by curs. Have to be patient to find relatives of the pet.
Determine the breed of the puppy
A difficult task is to determine the breed of the puppy. A list of subtleties is foreseen. Firstly, if the puppy does not have a code or a chip, documents, a dog can not be considered thoroughbred. Under this condition, it cannot be guaranteed that dogs of the same breed are present in the family.
Better take it to the vet. An experienced doctor, in addition to helping identify the breed, will vaccinate, use an anthelmintic. Health care comes first. The issue of accurately determining pedigree will have to be postponed until growing up. The breed standards describe adult dogs; puppies are often not like parents.
There is no definite decision on how to determine the breed of a dog by a puppy. It is possible to try to guess the characteristic features of the skull and the quality of the hair, although the dog begins to change the puppy coat only after a year. Finally, it is possible to try posting a photo and description on special forums. Perhaps someone recognizes the characteristic features of puppies of certain breeds. The main thing is to find the differences. For example, the lack of wool will significantly narrow the range of breeds that are few in number. Зато «дикий окрас» и всклокоченная шерсть заметно усложнит определение. Часто породистые собаки на первый взгляд выглядят, как дворняжки.
Щенок любой породы либо беспородный требует любви и заботы, оставаясь домашним любимцем. Отсутствие чистокровности не делает пёсика менее умным и понятливым, хулиганистым и страшненьким.
Here are examples of methods that simplify the preparation of a portrait of a dog and search for parents. When there is no longer any hope that the breed exists at all, it is permissible to use a DNA test. The study is carried out for a small amount of money, but so far not too many breeds have been added to the database. However, the analysis will significantly facilitate the task.
The second secret, how to determine the breed of a dog, is to conduct psychological tests. To understand the breed, you will need to experience natural instincts. Check the dog next to the herds for attempts to graze, offer to bring in conditions close to the hunting. If nothing interests the dog, the animal looks like a fluffy lump, there is a decorative breed.
Veterinarian is a storehouse of information. If the doctor has not seen such a breed before, there remains a greater chance of identifying it.
When it is not possible to establish relatives, it is concluded that the dog belongs to the second generation of domestic animals, in whose blood so many breeds are mixed that it becomes extremely difficult to identify ancestors.
Determining the breed is a difficult task. In fact, it is done only if the “foundling” gets into good hands. Porosity affects the nature of the animal, a tendency to certain diseases. Even the "noble" breed deserves careful handling, the dog is the only animal that loves the owner more than himself.