|The content of the article|
|1||How transparency looks in Photoshop|
|2||3 ways to make the image layer transparent|
|3||How to make a separate section of a layer transparent|
|4||How to save image with transparency|
By default, all new layers in Photoshop are created with 100% opacity. But the degree of transparency of the layer can be changed using the settings Opacity and Pouringlocated at the top of the Layers palette.
Opacity (Opacity) is a setting with a 100% scale that allows you to change the degree of translucency of absolutely the entire layer, with all the effects applied. If the value is different from 100%, the underlying layer will be visible. A degree of transparency of 0% indicates the complete absence of visible image pixels.
The transparency of the layer can be compared with tracing paper, which is imposed on the drawings in order to draw them.
Pouring (Fill) is a setting with a 100% scale that allows you to change the visibility of a layer without affecting the layer styles superimposed on it.
How transparency looks in Photoshop
Logically, the transparency of a digital image is the lack of saturation and color density. If you imagine color as a film, then transparency is the intensity of the transmission of light through it. But How to show translucency in a computer?
Photoshop introduced the transparency symbol for the world of computer graphics - chess background.
Now this symbol has become the standard. Many programs and web services use a chess background when it comes to transparency. For example, Yandex.Pictures or Google images show images with transparent elements on a checkerboard background.
3 ways to make the image layer transparent
First, you need to select the required layer (make it active). It will also be appropriate to select two or more using the Ctrl or Shift keys.
The background layer (with the lock icon) cannot be transparent. For him, these settings are inactive.
The thumbnail of the layer will not change, no matter what transparency value you make.
Method 1 Entering Numbers
Enter the value of the required transparency in numbers from 0 to 100 in a special settings window on the palette. Since both settings have almost the same effect, you can use any of them, the main thing to remember is their fundamental difference.
Method 2 Slider
To the right of the numbers there is a button with a small arrow. If you press it, a slider appears. You need to move it left or right with the mouse to reduce or increase the transparency of the layer, respectively.
The current value will be displayed on the display with numbers, and the image itself will change with the movement of your hand.
Method 3 Using the Keyboard
For a number of Photoshop tools, the ability to change the opacity of a layer using the keyboard is available. Select a tool, for example, Move, Eyedropper, Rectangle, Frame or Free shape (there are also a number of other tools that can be found by brute force).
Now press the numbers on the keyboard:
- The number 1 will change the opacity to 10%, 2 to 20%, 5 to 50%, and so on.
- The number 0 means 100%,
- Dial 55 and get 55%, 67 is 67% and so on.
To use the same trick to change FillingsHold the Shift key together with the numbers.
Instruction: how to make gradient transparency in Photoshop
- Open Photoshop
- We open the necessary picture
- 2.1 the first method is depleted when you know where the image lies, but even the folder itself is not open: with Photoshop active, press Ctrl + O. In the window that appears, select the path where our image lies,
- 2.2 the second method is eliminated if the folder in which the necessary image is located is opened: go to the folder, left-click on the image, drag it to the photoshopa icon (I hope you followed point 1 of this instruction?) In the task bar below, with a delay of about 1 second Photoshop will pop up and become active. Next, you just release the image onto the Photoshop window.
- Make a copy of the layer (always before starting work, make a copy of the finishing layer so that later you do not have to re-open it):
- 3.1 first option: move the mouse cursor over the layer, hold down the left mouse button and drag down on this sign - it’s second from the right
- 3.2 second option: on the command line, select "Layers" - "Create a duplicate layer ..."After that, hide the original by clicking on the eye next to the layer:
- Create a layer mask on a copy of the layer, after clicking on it to become active (it can be seen in the picture above that the top layer is highlighted in blue):
- 4.1 The first option: in the bottom row among the tools click on, it is the third on the left. Then a new mask layer will appear to the right of the layer icon.
- 4.2 The second option: on the command line, select “Layers” - “Layer mask” - “Show all”
- Make a transparent gradient:
- 5.1 first, make the created mask layer active - click on it with the left mouse button (a frame will appear around it)
- 5.2 then click on the left toolbar on, it is in the middle of the panel. It may be that you will not see such a tool, since in its place there will be this one (fill):. Right-click on the fill icon, select the gradient in the pop-up menu.
- 5.3 move the mouse cursor to the edge of the image or the place that will preserve opacity, hold down the left mouse button and drag to the edge or place of the image where there will be maximum transparency
- 5.4 release the mouse buttonHere is the result:Done, you did it, congratulations!
- Save the image.
- With full dignity, we go on to do great things.
I hope the article was useful to you.
If you have questions, ask in the comments.
How to make a separate section of a layer transparent
To make not the entire layer transparent, but only its separate section, some efforts will be required. As such, there is no tool for this purpose. However, depending on the task, there are at least two solutions.
Both decisions are united by the initial, perhaps the most time-consuming work - the creation of a dedicated area. The logic of actions is simple - you need to select a fragment of the image, with which further work will take place.
In your example, let's say you want to make a transparent gray round background. To do this, I will use the Magic Wand tool. In the settings panel, you need to set the parameter Add to selection, and then click on all the necessary sections until you select all of them.
After the selected area has appeared, you can make this fragment transparent.
Method 1 Cut the desired image section to a new layer
First you need to make sure that any of the tools for creating a selected area is active on the toolbar. for example Magic wandused in the previous step.
Now you can right-click on the selection. A context menu will appear. We are interested in the team Cut to a new layer.
As a result, this fragment will be separated from the current picture and moved to a new layer. And then with that new layer you can do whatever you want, including changing the transparency.
Method 2 Using the Eraser
This method is suitable if you want to achieve not a uniform decrease in transparency, but floating, that is, somewhere stronger, and somewhere weaker to make this effect.
Select the Eraser tool, set the value in the options bar Opacity different from 100%. Then erase areas of the image that are in the selected area. The impact of the tool will only be on those pixels that you selected.
Change the meaning Opacityif you want to achieve an uneven effect.
How to save image with transparency
There are many formats for saving images, but only two of them support transparency - PNG and GIF.
GIF has a limitation - the pixel must be either transparent or not, no third is given, that is, the transparency value, for example, 59% will no longer be supported. Also, this format has limitations on the number of colors used - there can be no more than 256 of them.
Therefore, the image must be saved in PNG format. Only he is devoid of all the shortcomings and is able to show translucent pixels.
To save a PNG image in Photoshop, you need to run the command: File - Save As. A dialog box appears in which you need to specify the location to save on the computer, and also select from the drop-down list File type — PNG (*. PNG).
Which layer is considered transparent?
Let's look at the first situation. Let's say we have a source image. Let's say a photo. And we should create a new layer. Suppose using the key combination ctrl + shift + n.
This new layer will be transparent.
The second situation. You already have a document with two layers. Both are opaque. It looks something like this.
The fact that we have two layers in the original image we can notice in the layers window. Let's try making the Harley Queen layer transparent.
To do this, in the layers window, we select the top one and lower its transparency to zero by moving the slider.
The layer with Harley became transparent, on the source we had an image of Deadpool. That's how it turned out to be simple.
How to make a layer translucent?
Let's get back to the same source with Deadpool and Harley. But this time we are already moving the slider not to zero. Let's leave, say, 50 percent. What will come of it?
The reception is very helpful. Often used in web design and when creating collages.
What other method can we influence the transparency of the layer?
Layer transparency can be changed through the blending options. Not too convenient workaround. Although, at one time I quite often came across him, so I’ll tell you. Go into the overlay options.
In the window that appears, we see the same slider with a percentage scale. Long and tedious, of course. But in fact there is such a thing and with it you can really reduce the transparency of the layer.