People cannot exist without society and communication - these are one of the main human needs. Nowadays, everyone who has access to the Internet probably has accounts on some social networks. Communication brings people pleasure, so developers are trying to make this process faster and more comfortable, trying to diversify the functionality of their products.
This article will discuss the development of Twitter Inc, which has become so popular that it brings its creators an income of about $ 50 million a year.
This “money generator” is Twitter, which today is not inferior in popularity to its social counterparts, although it does not look like Facebook, VKontakte and the like.
On Twitter, users have the opportunity to both exchange messages with a length of 140 characters, and to maintain their blog by publishing posts that do not exceed the established limit, which is why it is called "microblog".
Why does the leading microblogging service have such a name? Everything is very simple: communication between users of this resource is very similar to how the birds chirp among themselves, making short sounds in the same way as people send short messages to each other and publish tweets.
Translated Twitter means twitter. The developers decided that this is a good name and settled on it. What affected the choice of logo, which depicts a bird:
- High speed of information dissemination. Twitter provides an opportunity to report important news to a huge number of people in a very short period of time. In literally minutes, a published tweet will be read by millions of users,
- The information that is posted on Twitter is open to each user of the resource,
- Mobility. You can publish news or write a message using the web version, special client programs, as well as SMS, which is paid according to the tariff plan of the mobile operator.
Sign up on Twitter
Every day there are more and more users of this social network, since it is very fashionable to have a Twitter account. Signing up on Twitter takes only a few minutes:
1. To create an account, the first thing you need to do is go to the registration page and fill in the fields standard for social networks:
- Name and surname
- E-mail address,
It should be noted that registration without e-mail is not possible - this is a required field. Then you need to click on the "Registration" button:
- Acquaintance with Twitter - the page provides a brief description of the functionality and purpose of this social service,
- Interests - the user must choose topics of interest: news, sports, music, etc.,
- After areas of interest are selected, Twitter offers the most popular and interesting pages. After reviewing them, the user can delete those that he does not like,
- Uploading a photo - a photo can be downloaded either from the file system or take a picture using the camera of the gadget used, whether it’s a phone, tablet, or laptop,
- Search for friends. Twitter suggests finding friends through other resources: Gmail, Yahoo, etc.,
- The last step is to confirm the registration with a letter sent to the user's email inbox.
Having completed all the points described above, you can begin to conduct your microblog and correspondence with friends, as well as explore all the features of the Twitter service. Registration in Russian significantly facilitated the creation of an account for a domestic audience, which ensured an increase in the number of users of this resource.
How to make Twitter popular
So the main question is how to make twitter popular? Here, as they say, there is no single and completely correct recipe and approach, but there are a lot of different nuances, recommendations from the gurus of this sphere. And all these tips, well, or most of them, have already been tried by someone on a practical plane and have been cross-checked hundreds and thousands of times. Without a doubt, in this process a special and very important role is played by how popular a person is in his real life. Of course, if you are a famous singer or singer, athlete or actor, politician or journalist, then recruiting subscribers who will closely monitor your thoughts, updates on the page, make retweets and reposts for you is much, much easier than for an ordinary person.
We must not forget that on Twitter there are also false accounts of world-famous stars. However, their audience can be very impressive. You can recognize the “fake” page and distinguish it from the real account of your idol, but now (in this publication) is not about that.
Imagine a simple communication with people - with your friends. You communicate “live” every day, you are interested, you are full of emotions, joy. You share any news, jokes, opinions, gossip among yourself - finally. But there are such moments during “live” communication with your friends, when you start to get bored and a little boring. Admit it! Also on Twitter, try to make your personal page “live”, interesting and diverse for followers. To increase interest in the page, you must first fill in all the information - photo (real), work, area of interest, etc., etc. It’s better to write truthfully. If in your life or in the life of acquaintances there was some kind of joke or just an interesting situation - share related photos with your subscribers, find out how to add a video to Twitter. You have an interesting video file “on hand” - share, post, discuss, comment. Also do not forget to retweet other friends - quote, take part in discussions. The main thing is not to be boring and boring in your posts. Boredom will not contribute to a set of followers, that's for sure.
The most popular twitter in the world
Believe in what you will soon have withThe most popular twitter in the world. But there should be, in addition to faith, hard work to promote your twitter. Follow people on Twitter. In the sense - keep track. Constantly add them daily. Add those who added you or "tracked" you. Use the built-in Twitter search engine for these tasks. Also gaining popularity is facilitated by such a simple thing as gratitude. Express it to your best subscribers. You can do this with a list or express individual thanks to someone. Firstly, when you are thanked, it is very nice, and secondly, it will contribute to the fact that more readers will know about you. Tweet, gentlemen! And you will succeed in this field!
Can I read Twitter without registering?
A large number of users of Twitter, to some extent, owe to movie and music stars, government officials, just public people who have created accounts on this social network and post interesting moments, as well as news from their lives, which is extremely interesting for fans. Therefore, you can read tweets of idols, and ordinary users, without hindering yourself by creating your page within the service.
On Twitter, you can also search for people without registering, just go to https://twitter.com/search-home# and enter the name and surname of the person of interest in the search bar, but since he can have a lot of names, it’s better to use by anyone, then Twitter will give the only true result:
Programs for registering twitter accounts
Twitter is not only a means of communication, but also a tool for promoting and advertising brands, doing business, promoting websites and blogs. Not every webmaster knows about how Twitter links affect the site indexing in the search engine, and they actually have a tremendous effect.
The more links, the faster the indexing. It is for this that there are programs for mass creation of Twitter accounts. Registration on Twitter is free, which makes the task easier, but high-quality programs cost money. One of the most popular is RegTwitt, with which you can create accounts, configure them, post links, do retweets, etc.
Thus, Twitter is an alternative to many vkontakte and Facebook bored with their advertising (and also a competitor, therefore, registration on Twitter through VK and other social networks is impossible), and acts not only as a means for quickly disseminating information and communication, but also as a tool for promotion of a brand, blog, website, doing business and advertising campaigns.
Answers and references
1. In a tweet, you can mention other users by putting a sign @username anywhere in the message. All mentioned in the tweet will notice this.
2. A tweet that begins with a mention (the first word goes @username), will not appear on your profile in the Twitter web interface, but will appear on the page with answers to the tweet. It will also appear in the profile in applications for Android and iOS, as they do not separate the responses from other tweets.
3. A tweet that begins with a mention will not appear in the follower feeds, except for those who follow you and the person who is first listed on this tweet. That is, if you mentioned first @ username1, and then @ username2, then the tweet will appear in the feeds of those who follow you and @ username1.
4. If before the icon @ If there are still some characters, the previous two rules do not work and your tweet will appear to all followers. So the appeal to @ username1 and @ username2 It will be visible to everyone and will be displayed in your profile in the web interface.
5. You can reply to any tweets from one thread, all of them will appear in it. There is one parent tweet and any number of responses.
6. If during the answer you remove the name of the author of the tweet to which you reply, it will be just a tweet, not an answer, it will not get into the thread.
The exception is when you reply to yourself to continue the thought of the previous tweet. You can remove your name despite the fact that many customers automatically substitute it.
Be sure to do this when writing a few tweets connected to each other. So it will be convenient for followers to follow your story, you will not need to search for previous tweets or go to your profile. And if, when answering yourself, leave your name on a tweet, then only the first tweet will appear in your profile, and the rest will not, because you started from the mention.
7. Many third-party clients do not support the answer to themselves without including the name in the tweet, and the API documentation does not indicate that this is a feature. Only official Twitter clients allow you to mention someone in the response in the thread appropriately; third-party clients have fun linking anything to anything. Previously, the web interface also allowed this, so the API probably still allows it. If you are not using an official client, try and see what happens.
8. The previous rule also applies when you give someone a long answer. Answer, and then answer for yourself, removing the name from the tweets. The result is a thread of three messages.
9. Twitter shows the answers in a somewhat random order, throwing the “important” up. If you wrote an answer, for example, from three tweets, in each subsequent reply yourself to the previous one, so they will definitely go in the correct order.
10. When you reply to a tweet, the names of everyone who is mentioned in it will automatically fit in the response. If you reply to retweets, the name of the author and the person who retweeted will be automatically entered. Sometimes it will be polite to delete some names if you want to reply to the author. There are frequent cases when only two people participate in the discussion, while pulling into it everyone who got into the thread at the very beginning.
11. In official Twitter clients, long threads in the feed are minimized, leaving only the first tweet and the last two visible. If you prepared a long speech for Twitter, then it’s a good idea to put the main message in one of these three tweets that your followers will see. Here is another reason why politely pack long thoughts into threads: this will save followers from your flood in their feed.
12. Sometimes you can see several threads of the same conversation on Twitter. For example, if A wrote several tweets, B and C answered them, and you follow all three, then you will see separately answers B and separately answers C. Twitter does not deal with such sorting very well, so sometimes there is confusion in your stream due to the fact that the root tweet appears several times.
13. Since Twitter clients view the stream as a whole, you can refresh the old tweet by replying to it. The answer is a new tweet, it will appear in the feed of the followers, but the client will also include in the thread the first tweet as a context, regardless of his age.
14. If you open tweet answers, they may not be in chronological order. At the top are the “best” answers. Which of them are the best is determined by Twitter itself, but it seems to work well, because if you answer yourself, your answers will almost certainly be the first in the thread.
15. If in the answer you mentioned A, and he changed his nickname to B, then the tweet will remain in the thread despite the fact that it no longer mentions the author of the parent tweet. The answer will appear in your profile, because it now mentions a non-existent user. For those who do not follow you, it will be easy to find your renamed account by looking for answers intended for the old name.
16. Threads are not interrupted, even if part of the tweets is hidden due to the fact that the participant is blocked with you or he has a closed account. The tweets of these users will not be visible to you, but you will see the answers to them.
17. If you delete a tweet from the middle of the thread (or the author of the tweet will delete the account), then the thread will be terminated at this point. Responses to the remote tweet will not be visible when the parent tweet is expanded, and the parent tweet will not be visible if you look at these answers.
18. You can quote a tweet - it will appear in your tweet as a small rectangle. This way you will not create an answer to the quoted tweet and your tweet will not become part of the thread. If you want to answer, get into the thread and quote, no need to retweet or quote a tweet. You need to reply to the tweet, manually include the link to it in your tweet and make sure that you mention the author.
19. The author of the tweet will receive a notification that you quoted him. However, unlike retweets, it will not receive notifications about likes and retweets for quotes unless you separately mention them. If you do not want the author to know that you quoted him, take a screenshot of his tweet (this will remain in your profile even if the author deletes the tweet) or use a shortcut for the URL (this will not allow the author to remove your quote, blocking you).
20. A quote tweet just includes a link to the author’s tweet. Even if the author’s tweet is deleted, your gray card will remain on which it says that the tweet is no longer available.
21. Tweets appear in many feeds simultaneously and attract many similar responses in a short time. It will be polite to check existing answers to a popular tweet or tweet from a famous person before inserting your five cents.
22. It is usually very rude to get into a conversation between two people, especially if they seem to know each other better than you know them, and they know you. And even more so it’s rude if your opinion sharply contradicts their statements. However, there are no strict rules. There are times when this behavior may be more or less appropriate. But sometimes the situation is similar to the one as if on the street you overheard the conversation of two passers-by and decided to share your opinion with them.
23. When quoting someone or mentioning with critical commentary, remember that you attract the attention of your followers to the person. Haters, trolls and simply those who always have an opinion in any case can run into the author of a tweet. Think about whether you want to put this person to such ordeals.
1. Hashtags are words with a # in front of them.
2. Which symbols may appear after the icon is a controversial question. Once the rules have definitely changed.
3. The only real use of the hashtag is to switch to tweets of a similar theme by click.
4. Hashtags appear in the "Hot Topics" widget, but there are also ordinary words, without the # sign.
5. It makes no sense to tag all the words in a tweet with hashtags. No one is searching on Twitter for the #fun tag. And if you saturate the tweets with hashtags, you will be mistaken for a retarded marketer.
6. Twitter also supports cache tags, in which $ is placed instead of #. This icon is mainly used by traders.
1. A tweet can contain one embedded attachment.
2. You can tweet four images, one video or a poll. You cannot combine them in a tweet. Official brand accounts have a handful of extra pieces to embed.
3. By including images or videos in a tweet, you’ll lose 24 characters, since direct links to images and videos will be at the end of the tweet. This is done for customers who display only text, and for users who read Twitter via SMS: they do not see the attachment, but can open the picture in a browser.
4. When you turn on the survey, the link is not added to the tweet, but, curiously, it still takes 24 characters. Возможно, это баг клиента, но случается это и в веб-версии, и на Android, и на iOS.
5. Сторонние клиенты могут не поддерживать вставку медиафайлов. В частности, пользователей TweetDeck смущает то, что очень часто из твита пропадают опросы. Остаётся только текст твита и ни намёка на то, что там был опрос. Некоторые сторонние клиенты вовсе не поддерживают опросы.
6. Если вы добавили неочевидное вложение, Twitter начинает проверять ссылки с конца твита. The link leading to the tweet is displayed as a quote, the link to a website that supports Twitter cards is displayed as a card (as a quote). There can only be one attachment, so as soon as Twitter finds something that it can use, the search stops.
7. You can embed someone’s published media file in your tweet by inserting at the end a direct link to the file, which ends approximately like this: Ccic9mZWAAE06rP.jpg. This is not a quote, and the author will not know about it.
8. Twitter cards can be associated with an account. On Twitter for Android (not in the web version!), The response to a card tweet includes the nickname of the author of the quoted tweet. For example, if you reply to a tweet with a link to YouTube, then @YouTube will automatically fit into the tweet. This is very strange, given that YouTube is indirectly related to the video.
9. Downloaded media can be marked as sensitive (sensitive content), which usually means “pornographic”. A warning will be shown to the user, unless he specified in the account settings that it is possible not to show such warnings. Marked media will also not appear in the sidebar of the profile for those with alerts on.
10. The API supports marking of individual tweets with 18+ content, but official clients do not do this - you can set the settings in your account, and all media files you upload will be marked in this way. Other users can also mark your content as sensitive. Twitter can automatically detect such content, but sometimes filters fall, for example, photos of hairless cats.
11. If 18+ content is embedded in your own tweets, you will be shown a warning when you try to see it, even if the warnings are disabled in your settings. This way you'll understand what your tweets are tagged, although this is confusing.
Ignore and the blacklist
1. Blacklist users cannot view your profile. Of course, they can use a different account or log out. And probably some Twitter clients do not support this feature.
2. Blacklisted users cannot like and retweet your tweets.
3. Blacklisted users cannot follow you. If you blocked someone who already read you, then he will be automatically unsubscribed. You also cannot follow blocked users.
4. Blocked user tweets will not appear in your stream or in the threads you see. You will not find his tweets in the search results. But if someone you are reading quotes a tweet from a blocked user, you will see him.
5. A blocked user can see your tweets that someone has retweeted.
6. A blocked user can mention you or reply to you, but you won’t know about it unless someone quotes it, retweets or likes this tweet. And if someone decides to reply to a blocked user’s tweet, your name will automatically appear in the response and you will be notified. Other users will see the full thread.
7. A blocked user can insert a link to your tweet, but it will appear in his profile with a gray dash “Tweet is unavailable”. The tweet is not shown, but the link to the tweet remains visible, therefore, users can see your tweet by clicking on the link.
8. Ignoring is manifested in different ways. If you make up a user whom you follow, then his tweets will not appear in your stream, but you will receive notifications when he answers you or mentions you and so on. This can be useful when you want to muffle the buzz from social networks. If you make up someone you don’t follow, you won’t receive notifications. In both cases, you will see the tweets of this person in threads and search results.
9. If you follow someone who retweets too much, you can only mute his retweets. This is done in the person’s profile menu.
10. If it seems to you that someone has blocked you, you can find out about this by going to the user profile - a message will appear on top. But it is impossible to find out if the user has muddied you or simply ignores you.
11. You can block and muffle someone at the same time, but that makes no sense. If you unblock the user, he will remain in ignore.
12. The API removes tweets from blocked and locked server-side users for streaming requests (such as feed), but leaves them for other requests (such as viewing a single tweet). Therefore, it is possible that some Twitter clients neglect the rules and you can sometimes see a tweet of a blocked user in a thread.
13. Do not tweet screenshots “User is blocking you”. This is old entertainment, and you can stop doing it already.
1. Almost all Twitter search options are available on the advanced search page. All of them are tied to the use of a prefix for the search query: from these users, from the specified date.
2. There are filters not listed here that are specified in the API documentation. They look like this: filter: safe, filter: media, filter: images, filter: links. It is likely that there are some other undocumented features.
3. The search is applied to shortened links, so you can find links to the site by simply entering its URL in the search without the http: // protocol, since it does not appear in tweets.
4. Side effect: you can find citations of tweets of a specific user by typing in the search bar twitter.com/username/statussince all tweet addresses start like this. Also, images and videos posted by this user will be included in the results. This can be fixed by adding a filter. -from: username.
5. If you search to: username, you will only find tweets that start with @username, other references will not be included in the extradition. If you search by request @username, then in the issue there will be both mentions and tweets from this user. To find only mentions, enter in the search bar @username -from: username. Can be combined with a trick to search for quotes.
6. It is believed that the filter from: applicable only to the nickname that the user had at the time of writing the tweet, but experience proves the opposite. Perhaps the results vary depending on whether someone took the old nickname.
7. Some customers, such as TweetDeck, support a live search results channel next to the feed and notifications. Perhaps this is necessary for those who care about what they say, even if they are not personally mentioned in tweets.
8. If you use the search for tweets by the name or title of your project without mentioning you, be careful: you can stumble upon completely unflattering reviews. It is better not to engage in discussions with those who initially do not like your work. You cannot convince them, but you can spoil your impression of yourself.
1. You can make your account closed so that only your followers to whom you have approved access can read it. Your profile will tell everyone else that your account has been closed.
2. Will remain public: your avatar, banner, name, bio (including location, website, and so on), the number of tweets, followers, those you read, likes and lists. Hidden: tweets, media files, your followers and those you follow, the contents of the lists.
3. Twitter for iOS hides bio, the number of followers and those you read, which is sometimes very inconvenient. How will people understand that you are very cool and you need to ask your subscribers?
4. When you close your account, existing followers remain. Others will be forced to send a request if they want to read you. You can accept or reject it. If you want to force someone to unsubscribe from yourself, block and then unblock this user. Or just block it.
5. Subscription requests are easy to miss: the interface is not too obvious when a new user is knocking on you.
6. The user will not receive a notification about whether you have allowed access or not. If you approve, then he will begin to see your tweets, if you reject the request - again going to your profile, he will not see the inscription "Waiting".
7. If you open an account, all requests will be automatically approved.
8. The only way to see pending requests (which you have sent but which have not yet been approved or rejected) is through the API or clients using the API. Official customers do not show this anywhere.
9. No one can retweet a closed account, even followers.
10. Quoting also does not work for closed accounts. It will be shown that the tweet is not available, even if the author of the account quotes himself. Clicking on a tweet link works.
11. Notifications are not sent from closed accounts to those who do not follow them. From a closed account, you can like, retweet, follow, as usual, and the corresponding numbers in the indicators will grow, but notifications will only come to readers.
12. If a user with a closed account likes several of your tweets or retweets, and then you follow it, then notifications will not come retroactively.
13. A closed account will not appear among those who like and retweet a tweet. This will only be visible to approved readers.
14. Despite the fact that the followers and those read by a user with a closed account are hidden, it can be seen in the lists of those who read it, or those whom it reads. There is no way to automatically correlate this data to calculate all the followers and followers, but the very existence of a closed account is not a secret. In particular, if you follow someone who follows the number of subscribers, he can just look at the list and find you.
15. Everyone can mention a user with a closed account, whether he follows him or not, and a notification about this will be displayed in the closed account.
16. A user with a closed account can send private messages to anyone and can open private messages for everyone.
17. Responses to a user with a closed account are in no way protected. If he participates in the discussion, then his own tweets will be hidden from those who do not read it, but public responses to them will be visible in the thread. Also, anyone can search for mentions of a user with a closed account to find conversations in which he took part and understand what was said in his tweets, based on the context.
API, third-party clients and more
1. Hot keys work in the web version, their list can be viewed by clicking on the question mark in the Russian layout.
2. The official API does not support some features of Twitter, including polls, ads and private message to multiple users. Customers who use this API also do not support these features.
3. Even TweetDeck often lags behind Twitter in supporting some features. Because of this, for example, the ignore in TweetDeck is different from the ignore in Twitter.
4. Tweets indicate through which client they were sent. Official Twitter clients no longer show this, but in the API this feature is still available, so some third-party clients use it.
5. By default, Twitter allows you to find your account by postal address or phone number. You can disable this feature if you wish.
6. Twitter has a feature that allows you to collect several public tweets (even from other people) in one group and show it to someone. Official clients do not know how to collect tweets, this can only be done through the API or TweetDeck. Collections are not shown anywhere and are available through a direct link. You cannot control the order of tweets in the list, they are arranged according to chronology.
7. Lists do not support most of the features of the tape, first of all tweets of the same thread are not shown together. However, you can create a closed list, add people to it and read without their knowledge.
8. You can promote a tweet, that is, it will turn into an advertisement, which, as a rule, is of no interest to anyone except the advertiser. Promoted tweets have interesting properties: they are not visible to anyone in your profile and search results. You can target a promoted tweet.
9. And on Twitter there are “checkmarks of authenticity” that are issued to verified users.
For owners of genuine accounts, additional features are available: filters on the “Notifications” page (“All”, “Mentions”, “Authentic”), a choice between two options for the feed (“No answers” and “All”), secret notifications (Twitter will tell if your tweet will be removed from your favorites) and analytics, which has more beauty than good.