The search for recommendations on how to paint a brick house outside usually starts with the owners of buildings who have already begun to lose their external presentability. Without a doubt, brick buildings are quite durable: if the building material is selected and laid correctly. High thermal insulation qualities of bricks, especially if they are reinforced with additional insulation.
At first, the appearance of the house is quite decent. However, over time, the contrast between the brick and the connecting seams begins to catch sight, traces of weathering and physical damage are clearly manifested, and the building material darkens, which makes the structure groomed and gloomy. Yes, and the likelihood of wall destruction increases slightly.
Many ways to upgrade their homes have been invented, but painting remains the fastest, cheapest. She, according to experts, best protects the brick facade from excessive moisture, freezing and subsequent destruction in the months of the off-season, when the water freezing in the pores works to break the material.
How to paint a brick house outside, determined by the condition of the building, the selected material for painting and the presence (or absence) of equipment.
In any case, only facade water-based emulsions are suitable - the rest are either too unstable to atmospheric influences, or do not adhere well to the brick base. However, you can choose among them, since they are made on a different basis.
Silicate. They are made on the basis of silicate glue (aka liquid glass). The least persistent, but the cheapest. You will have to repaint the wall in 2-3 years.
Acrylic. Stability is much higher, to some extent they protect the painted surface from getting wet, they perceive dry cleaning well.
Acrylic silicone. The best choice when evaluating quality: high vapor permeability, resistance to abrasion and chipping, reliable protection against precipitation. Remember to paint the facade earlier than 10 years later is not necessary. But the cost is by no means for every budget.
Any such option will last longer than whitewashing. But if there are no strict financial restrictions, it is better to take acrylic-silicone paints.
Whatever coating you choose, the preparatory work and the rules for painting themselves remain the same.
- A building that is to be coated with paint should be at least a year old. To paint only the erected house is unreasonable: in the masonry, the processes of leaching the solution proceed, its humidity is not stable, in addition, the building continues to shrink.
- Before painting, the entire wall is cleaned of moss, fungus and mold, if any, and is washed from the floor - white salt streaks. No paint will reliably lie on them. Then the facade is saturated with antiseptics.
- The wall to be painted is washed first with a soap solution, then with clean water, and dried for a day. Naturally, time is indicated for clear weather. If you are unlucky and it rains, you will have to wait longer.
- Since both the brick and the solution connecting it have high hygroscopicity, a primer is required before painting.
- Acrylic resin formulations are preferred.
- Before starting work, everything that will not be painted (blind area, doors, windows, basement) is closed with building polyethylene - unless, of course, you want to wash off the paint with solvent later on.
The rest of the technology, how to paint a brick house outside, is no different from painting any other areas. I would just like to clarify the nuance of the choice of color. It is selected in such a way that it is combined with existing finishing materials (natural stone, wooden elements, etc.) and does not conflict with the shade of the roof covering.
However, if the whole facade is painted in one tone, the house looks faded and expressionless. Designers advise contrasting colors to highlight windows, cornices, doors, if the house is two-level - choose different colors or shades for floors. Small details painted more lightly emphasize the main background and emphasize the architecture of the building. If the main color itself is light, then the decor is selected in a darker tone, but not excessively: excessive dimming visually makes small elements even smaller and heavier.
How can I paint the facade of a brick house?
The new brick house does not need additional decoration, as it will already have a very beautiful appearance. However, over time, brick loses its appeal. Painting a brick house will help restore the exterior walls of the building well-groomed and beautiful. It also allows you to change the color of the facade, mask small wall defects, harmoniously combine the old house and new outbuildings. Therefore, we will further consider how to paint the facade of a brick house.
Painting the brick facade will give the house even greater durability.
How to beautifully paint the facade of a building?
Everyone wants their house to be beautiful not only inside, but also outside, because residents will have to look at it every day for many years. Paint is one of the radical methods of solving the problem of changing the appearance of a building. It looks beautiful on any surface, has the largest color palette compared to other finishing materials. Therefore, the choice of a particular facade color is limited only by the imagination of the builder.
Types and characteristics of facade paints.
However, when choosing a paint color, experts advise taking into account the established color schemes, as well as taking into account the surrounding environment. For example, for painting a private house, near which there is a lot of greenery, natural or pastel colors are perfect: yellow, beige, blue, pink, brown, shades of green. The house, which is located in the city, is not recommended to be painted in soft and light colors, because after a while such walls will be covered with dirt and dust. Therefore, city buildings are designed in rich, bright, but not very bright colors: brown, brick, red.
If the design project allows, you can experiment with unconventional tones: yellow, orange, purple. Especially these colors are suitable for hi-tech houses. With the help of paint you can realize any graphic ideas. You can cover the facade with a contrasting ornament, draw a picture or emphasize the architectural features of the building in various shades.
The choice of paint for a brick house
The choice of a coloring material for brick facades must be approached with all seriousness, since not only the appearance of the building, but also the ability of the facade to perform protective functions will depend on the right choice. To do this, the paint must fully meet the technological requirements:
Latex paint is suitable for brick walls with salt stains.
- be resistant to ultraviolet radiation,
- have good waterproofing properties,
- have high resistance to mechanical damage,
- when dry, remain porous enough so that the brick walls can "breathe", otherwise after a while they will be covered with mold and fungus.
Facade paints fully satisfy these requirements, so painting a brick wall should be carried out with just such compositions. Among the facade paints, the most popular are lime, organosilicon and polyvinyl acetate (latex) paints.
Lime coloring matter gained great popularity due to:
- low cost
- good breathability
- resistance to high humidity and high temperatures.
As a binder for such paints, fused lime, slaked in water, is mixed with fillers and mineral pigments. Hardening of this finishing substance occurs in the process of carbonization. In this case, limestone is formed - a natural, weather-resistant substance.
Organic additives (linseed oil or casein) are used to increase the weather-resistant properties of lime paint.
To increase the thickness of the coating layer, mineral fillers (quartz sand or lime flour) are used, which allows to increase the resistance of the facing material to mechanical damage.
Organosilicon paints and varnishes are varnishes and enamels that are used to paint various surfaces, including brick. Among their positive properties it is worth highlighting:
Before painting, the brick wall is treated with a water repellent to form a water-repellent vapor-permeable layer.
- resistance to temperature extremes, ultraviolet radiation and other harmful external influences,
- high resistance to mechanical damage,
- low moisture absorption
- excellent vapor permeability
- beautiful appearance.
However, organosilicon paints have a fairly high cost, so they are not widely used when facing facades.
The most popular in facade works were latex paints, which have such positive aspects:
- have good adhesion
- are breathable, fireproof and moisture resistant,
- have excellent decorative properties.
Painting a brick base with this substance allows you to reliably protect it from the harmful effects of moisture.
What should you know before painting a brick?
- Make sure you need to paint the brick. Initially, this material is not intended for such processing. Manufacturers offer a wide range of finished products with different colors and textures. Such material is able to maintain its attractive appearance for a long time. Painting, on the other hand, will require periodic maintenance and renewal of the coat approximately every 5 years.
- Take your time to process new brick walls. After the construction of the brick house, it is necessary to wait about a year to complete the processes of weathering, leaching and drying of the material. When painting fresh masonry, you may eventually encounter the appearance of various defects, which will be quite problematic to fix.
- Correctly evaluate your capabilities. Do not forget that the main difficulty lies not in painting, but in the proper preparation of the surface, which requires a lot of time and effort.
To paint a brick facade should be approached very carefully. If possible, experts recommend contacting the builders or former owners of the house to find out the features of bricklaying. This will allow you to choose the right paint material.
How to paint a house outside
Simplicity and cost of painting a house outside holds a leading position among all types of existing finishes. To solve the problem of how to paint the house outside is not difficult, and not costly.
However, in order to properly paint a plastered or brick house outside, first you need to thoroughly prepare the surfaces, choose the type of paint and tools that you will need to paint the house with your own hands.
Preparing the walls of the house before painting
To begin work on painting the house outside you need, of course, with the preparation of the walls. They must be strong, reliable and well primed. Initially, the surface is freed from the presence of an old coating, existing dirt, dust or mold. To do this, you can wash the wall with water from a pressure washer, and then thoroughly wipe particularly dirty places with a hard brush.
Places where there was mold or moss must be treated with a bioprotective agent. After that, all existing cracks are closed, the plastered surfaces are repaired. If the house is new and plastered, then fresh plaster must be dried for a month - one and a half, and then put a primer on the house.
The house is primed in the same way as the walls are painted, while the primed walls must dry for at least a day. After the primer dries, you can start painting.
Send the material to the mail
Brick is often used for external wall cladding. But such a surface is not always distinguished by an attractive appearance, so many decide on its decorative finish. How can I paint a brick house outside? There are a lot of options for solutions for this procedure, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Before choosing it is recommended to study in detail the features of each mixture.
Brick house painting
Preparation for the process
When painting the brick facade of the house outside, you need to consider that it will be extremely difficult to remove such a coating from the material, since the brick surface is characterized by good absorption. Therefore, before such processing, you need to think about the appropriateness of this procedure.
If the decision to paint the brick wall was made finally, you will need to prepare the basic tools:
- Hard brush for metal.
- Putty and primer mixture.
- Brush or roller for applying mortar.
- Thin brush for seams.
Brick wall paint roller
In order to qualitatively paint a brick, special attention will need to be paid to the selection of paint.
Why paint a brick wall?
Artificial ceramic stone is a popular material for construction work. For the construction of walls, ordinary brick is used, the surface of which is rough and unattractive. When choosing masonry as a decoration element, it is necessary to improve the aesthetic perception of the surface. Brick color in white looks great in rooms decorated in the style of loft, modern, high-tech. The characteristic relief of the walls is preserved, but its presentability is enhanced.
Photo 1. Painting a brick with white color makes the room lighter
Brick facades of buildings are painted for various reasons:
- As a result of long operation, the original appearance is lost.
- The masonry has partially collapsed; repairs require plastering and restoration of color.
- The construction of extensions where the creation of a common harmonious composition is required.
- The desire to change the decorative appearance of the structure is also a weighty argument (photo 2).
Important information! The application of paintwork improves not only the architectural appearance of the facade, but also has practical significance. The material receives additional protection from the adverse effects of the external environment.
Photo 2. Changing the decorative appearance of the facade by painting
The choice of paint for a brick surface
Before you paint a wall of red brick in a different color, you need to choose the optimal composition. The choice depends on several factors:
- outer or inner wall
- coating requirements
- masonry quality.
In order for the coating to look harmonious and not peel off, the paint and varnish products must meet certain requirements:
- vapor permeability - an artificial stone has pores that provide air exchange, the coating should not form a film on the external walls, worsening the microclimate in the room,
- UV resistance - color should not fade,
- water resistance - provides surface protection from precipitation,
- high adhesion - the property guarantees uniform painting of red brick in white without peeling during operation.
The facade coating must be frost-resistant. The optimal compositions for external work are acrylic, latex and silicate paints. The first 2 options are made on the basis of synthetic resins. They protect the masonry from moisture, have a low consumption and a variety of colors. Silicate compositions based on liquid glass are durable, waterproof and vapor permeable.
The quality and durability of the paintwork depends on the preparation of the substrate. The remaining dirt and efflorescence lead to a quick peeling of the paint, so the preparatory work takes more time than directly applying the paint composition.
Photo 3. Facade cleaning
It is necessary to start preparing and repairing the foundation a few days before you decide to paint the red brick in red or another color. A brush with metal bristles will help to clean the design well. Traces of fungus or mildew are treated with a special solution, washed with salt and water with soap and water. Old masonry always has flaws - cracks and chips are filled with putty. After repair, wait for the complete drying of the solution. Then the surface is sanded with sandpaper.
The last and most important step in preparing the walls is the primer. It reduces the absorbency of artificial stone, reducing paint consumption. Soil application also improves adhesion. The composition of the solution includes disinfectants that inhibit the development of fungi. The primer composition is applied in 2-3 layers, preference is given to materials with acrylic or latex.
Figure 1. Preparatory work
Tools for work
Если вы знаете, как покрасить кирпич в белый цвет и будете выполнять работу самостоятельно, понадобятся следующие инструменты (фото 5):
- Кисти – волоски инструмента выбирают в зависимости от вида лакокрасочной продукции. Для акрила рекомендуются полиэфирное волокно, масляные краски наносят натуральным волосом. The width of the brush is 75-100 mm, for processing corners you will need a narrow model with a beveled edge.
- Paint roller - choose with a pile of 2 cm. It’s easier to work with the tool than with a brush, but the quality of application is worse (photo 4) - you will additionally have to brush the seams.
Photo 4. Roller painting
- Tray for paint.
- Spray gun - the best option for large areas.
- Safety glasses, gloves, respirator.
Photo 5. Tools for painting
How to paint a decorative brick in white: instruction
When working with this material, you will have to take into account the features of its structure. One coat of coatings will not be enough. Creating a high-quality coating is possible only if the painting is carried out in several stages, while a new layer begins to be applied after the previous one dries.
- 1. The paintwork material is prepared, bred according to the instructions, tinted.
- 2. When painting the exterior walls, dry and warm weather is selected.
- 3. Using a brush complicates the work, but allows you to put smooth strokes. The composition is applied horizontally, following the masonry pattern (photo 6).
Photo 6. Painting a brick with a brush
- 4. Before you completely paint the red brick in white, you will have to apply at least 3 layers of the paint composition.
- 5. Work starts from the top of the wall. Particular attention is paid to painting corners.
- 6. The areas near the door and window openings are sealed with masking tape to prevent paint from entering.
- 7. Smears are placed with an overlap of several millimeters.
- 8. It is better to carry out external work with a spray gun, but during the painting process you need to wear a respirator to protect the respiratory tract.
- 9. In order to embody the design solution “antique masonry” or to highlight some elements, an ordinary sponge is used.
- Do not paint masonry that is not 1 year old.
- Before starting work, make sure that the surface is dry and clean.
- Do not use acids or chemical solvents when cleaning walls. Enough water and soap.
- Interior decoration is carried out by compositions for internal work. In facade paints are harmful volatile compounds.
- Brick, painted white, requires care - the decorative layer is updated at least once every 5 years.
- It is advisable to carry out the work at a temperature of about 25 ° C.
- The second coat of paint is applied only after the first one has completely dried (photo 7).
Photo 7. White, like any other, paint is applied in 2-3 layers
The video will show the features of self-painting brick walls in the apartment:
The main advice of experts is to weigh the pros and cons of painting bricks in white. This is an irreversible process and the natural appearance of the material cannot be returned. Painted masonry requires care - it is periodically washed with soapy water and the paintwork is updated.
The use of fragments of brickwork in the interior design is an actual version of modern design solutions. The traditional red color of the material does not always fit into the overall decor. And painting the brick in white can give the walls a stylish look. The light surface is in perfect harmony with any furniture, visually expands the space. Also, using staining, you can fix minor defects. Returning aesthetics to the walls will require a lot of time and effort, and surface preparation plays an important role in this.
Lime-based solutions are quite popular. The advantages of their use include:
- Low cost.
- Excellent air permeability.
- Protection against moisture and heat.
Application of lime composition
The connecting element of such paints is the closed lime slaked in water, to which fillers and minerals are added. Hardening of such a solution occurs as a result of carbonization. The result is natural limestone.
Special organic additives such as linseed oil or casein are used to increase environmental protection. To increase the thickness of the coating, quartz sand is added, this will provide protection against mechanical damage and deformation.
On our site you can find contacts of construction companies that offer home decoration and insulation services. You can talk directly with representatives by visiting the Low-Rise Country exhibition of houses.
Such solutions are represented by various varnishes and enamels, which are used for facing different surfaces. The advantages of their use include:
- Excellent protection against sudden changes in temperature, sunlight and other environmental influences.
- Good strength.
- Low moisture absorption.
- High vapor permeability of the coating.
- The appeal of painted brick.
Silicone varnished brick
But at the same time, such mixtures have a significant drawback in the form of high cost. Because of this large distribution, they did not receive.
This type is used most often. The benefits of the latex mixture include:
- Excellent adhesion.
- The solution is fireproof, moisture resistant and breathable.
- The appearance of the treated surface is extremely attractive.
Processing with such a composition allows guaranteeing a long service life and protection against various external influences.
It might be interesting! In the article at the following link, read about how to paint a wooden floor in a house.
Such a solution is the most economical solution. It can be used not only for brick surfaces, but also for cinder blocks or adobe. Whitewashing, although it is considered an obsolete type of cladding, still has a number of advantages. These include:
- Low cost of composition.
- Ease of the painting procedure.
- Antiseptic characteristics of the mixture. After this treatment, the likelihood of mold or mildew formation is significantly reduced.
- Excellent vapor permeability. This characteristic is of great importance when choosing a solution.
- Pre-treatment of the surface with a primer is not required.
Whitewashed brick wall
There are weaknesses in this choice. Whitewashing gets dirty, so it’s better to use it for walls that will not touch clothing. Also, such coverage will need to be updated periodically, approximately once a year. Painting is carried out in 2 layers, after which all minor surface defects will become invisible.
The nuances of facade painting
Whatever type of paint is used, the rules for painting will remain unchanged. The basics of such decorative cladding include:
- The building to be painted must be at least a year old. Processing a newly built house is not recommended, as it continues to shrink, and the humidity of the building has not yet completely stabilized.
- Prior to painting, the surface must be thoroughly cleaned of dirt, mold or fungus. Otherwise, the solution will lie unevenly. You will also need to pre-treat the facade with antiseptic solutions.
- The surface to be treated should be washed with a soapy composition and then with clean water. After that, you will need to wait until the wall has completely dried out for about a day.
- Since the brick has a high level of hygroscopicity, it will first need to be treated with a primer mixture.
- It is best to use acrylic solutions for painting such walls.
- Before painting, all surfaces of the house that will not be processed must be covered with a cloth or polyethylene. Otherwise, the mixture may accidentally get on the door or window, and it will be quite difficult to remove it.
- For painting, you will need to prepare scaffolding or scaffolding, since using a ladder or stool is inconvenient and rather dangerous.
- Paint should be applied to the entire surface in 1 step. If the employee is tired, he can take a short break in a few hours, but not more. If the painting is continued the next day, the shade of yesterday and the new coatings will be very different.
- For painting, a brush, roller or spray gun can be used. When doing it yourself, it is best to use a roller. It applies the composition quickly, evenly and with low consumption.
- Facing should be made in 2 layers. A new layer is applied only after the previous one has completely dried. Drying time may vary depending on the type of dye.
- When painting with a brush or roller, you need to apply the solution with neat, uniform movements in different directions. So the mixture will lie more evenly.
Preparation for staining:
The first step is to carefully prepare the walls, they must be durable and carefully treated with a primer. The old coating is removed from the surface, dirt, dust and mold are cleaned. To do this, the wall can be washed with water from a hose and treated with a hard brush.
Brick wall cleaning
Areas where mold or moss has formed will need to be faced with an antiseptic composition. Then, all found cracks and other defects are closed. If the building was recently plastered, you will need to wait until it is completely dry, it can take a month, after which a primer is applied.
The primer process is similar to painting, the same tools are used. The primer dries out within 24 hours. After the primer has dried, you can proceed to painting.
Applying paint to a brick wall
Typically, a brush, roller, or spray gun is used for such cladding. For a smooth surface, a short-haired roller or brush is a good solution. Textured walls are best treated with a wide brush with a long pile. The airbrush is quite an expensive tool, and its use requires some experience, so it is better to entrust the processing with it to professionals.
Perform external painting on a warm, dry day, the temperature should be more than 5 degrees. All uncultivated surfaces and nearby structures will need to be pre-covered with a cloth or polyethylene so that the paint does not get on them.
The first layer should be applied without long breaks for rest, otherwise stains will appear on the wall. The next layer is applied after drying the previous one or after the time specified in the instructions for the solution. In order not to constantly clean the tool with which the cladding is carried out, it can be wrapped with polyethylene or cloth, this will avoid drying of the coloring mixture. The process of exterior painting of the house is based on the translational movement of the tool in different directions alternately.
It might be interesting! In the article at the following link, read about painting a wooden house.
The right choice of material for coloring is the key to the attractiveness of the appearance of the house and the durability of its lining. The main thing is that the composition was specifically designed for the exterior walls of the building. A more specific choice should be based on your own preferences and financial capabilities. Ideally, the process of applying the coloring composition is best entrusted to professionals.
Painted brick facade
It is also extremely important to choose the right shade of the mixture. For exterior cladding, the color of the walls should be in harmony with the roof palette and the general environment. Too bright paint colors will stand out and ruin the overall impression of the cladding. If you can’t choose the right shade yourself, you can turn to the designer for help.