Clomid is an antiestrogen nonsteroidal structure. Its effect is due to binding to estrogen receptors of the pituitary gland and ovaries. With a low content of estrogen in the body, when the medication is used, a moderate estrogenic effect is manifested, and with a high one, an antiestrogenic effect is observed.
When taken in small doses, Clomid enhances the secretion of gonadotropins (FSH, prolactin and LH) and stimulates ovulation. In high doses, the drug inhibits the production of gonadotropins.
Clomid does not possess androgenic and gestagenic activity.
Clomid, according to the instructions, is prescribed for treatment:
- Dysgonadotropic form of amenorrhea,
- Infertility, including anovulatory infertility and dysfunctional metrorrhagia,
- Galactorrhea developing against the background of a pituitary tumor,
- Secondary and post-contraceptive amenorrhea,
- Chiari-Frommel syndrome,
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Androgen deficiency.
Clomid is also used in the diagnosis of disorders of the pituitary gonadotropic function.
Contraindications to the use of Clomid are:
- Liver and kidney failure,
- Hypersensitivity to clomiphene or auxiliary components of the drug,
- Ovarian cyst
- Metrorrhagia of unclear etiology,
- Genital neoplasms,
- Tumor or pituitary pituitary,
- Ovarian failure due to hyperprolactinemia,
Method of use of Clomid
To stimulate ovulation, Clomid, according to the instructions, is prescribed once a day at 50 mg. The recommended time for taking the medicine is at bedtime, the duration is 5 days. The application should begin on the fifth day of the menstrual cycle, in its absence - at any time.
If ovulation does not occur within 30 days, it is possible to increase the dosage by a factor of three or increase the duration of therapy to 10 days.
The maximum course dosage of Clomid is 1 g. The onset of ovulation is determined on the basis of various factors:
- The growth of serum progesterone during the likely middle phase of luteinization,
- The average cyclic increase in LH production,
- The presence of biphasic basal temperature,
- Menstrual bleeding in women with amenorrhea.
If ovulation was, but pregnancy did not occur, usually the reception is repeated in the same dosage.
In cases where ovulation most likely took place, but after there was no menstrual bleeding, pregnancy should be excluded before taking the next treatment course.
When using Clomid, it must be borne in mind that the medication increases the likelihood of developing a multiple pregnancy.
According to the instructions, Clomid is effective at a high level of endogenous estrogen content, less effective at a low level, has practically no therapeutic effect against a low concentration of pituitary gonadotropic hormones.
Clomid treatment should be carried out under the supervision of a gynecologist, and ovarian function and the “pupil” phenomenon should also be monitored.
Men for 3-4 months, Clomid is prescribed 1-2 mg daily 50 mg with systematic monitoring of sperm.
Clomid, according to reviews, can cause disorders of the nervous system, most often manifested in the form of dizziness, headache, drowsiness, slowing down the speed of motor and mental reactions, depression, increased irritability and insomnia.
Also, against the background of taking Clomid, violations may occur from other body systems:
- Flatulence, nausea, gastralgia, vomiting, diarrhea (digestive system),
- Allergic dermatitis, rash, vasomotor disorders (allergic reactions),
- Increased ovarian size, increased urination, polyuria, dysmenorrhea, lower abdominal pain, menorrhagia (genitourinary system),
- "Flushing" of blood to the face, weight gain, tenderness in the area of the mammary glands, alopecia, decreased visual acuity (other).
In case of an overdose, Clomid, according to reviews, most often leads to the development of nausea, vomiting, "flushing" of blood to the face and visual impairment. In this case, as a rule, the medicine is canceled and symptomatic treatment is carried out.
The active component of Clomid is clomiphene citrate, which belongs to the group of antiestrogenic drugs. Use in small doses leads to increased production of gonadotropins: prolactin and hormones with follicle-stimulating and luteinizing effects, which contributes to ovulation.
If the estrogen content in the body is low, Clomid has a moderate estrogenic effect, and in the case of a high content - antiestrogenic. Taking large doses activates the production of gonadotropins.
How to take Clomid on PCT
The recovery regimen with Clomid after a course of steroids depends on its duration and the number of stimulants taken. The stronger the dosage of steroids and the longer the cycle, the longer it will take to return the body to normal.
- After an ultralight course: 15 days at 50 mg, then the next 15 days at 25 mg
- After an easy course: 15 days. X 50 mg, 15 days. X 25 mg, 15 times (1 time in 2 days) 25 mg each
- After moderate use: 30 days. X 50 mg, 15 days. X 25 mg
- After intensive use: 15 days. X 100 mg, 15 days. X 50 mg, 15 days. X 25 mg
- After overdose: 3 days. X 150 mg, 12 days. X 100 mg, 15 days. X 50 mg, 15 days. X 25 mg.
To restore the production of own testosterone, other anti-estrogen drugs are also used. What works best depends on many factors. Basically, several pairs of drugs are compared:
- Clomid or Tamoxifen? Competing agents are similar in structure, but the latter is stronger. Therefore, it takes less to restore testosterone. However, it is believed that the described tool is the best choice for PCT after taking progestins.
- Proviron or Clomid? Both medications have an antiestrogenic effect, but each of them is different. The difference is as follows: Clomid stimulates tissues to release hormones, which helps to increase endogenous testosterone levels, and Proviron inhibits the enzymes responsible for the transformation of steroid hormones into estrogens. Due to this, the process slows down, which leads to the accumulation of testosterone in plasma. But the effect is temporary, therefore, after some time, the level of male hormone decreases again.
Do I need to drink Clomid on a steroid course
While taking anabolics, the level of androgens is extremely high, and therefore the body does not need to synthesize its own substances. The hypothalamus stops giving commands to the pituitary gland to produce hormones. Until the concentration in the body of substances received from the outside is maximum, Clomid will not be able to stimulate the body. The drug can be taken during the steroid cycle only as an antiestrogenic agent.
The use of the drug should only occur under the constant supervision of specialists.
The drug stimulates superovulation, which creates favorable conditions for the development of multiple pregnancy.
If ovulation is presumably taken after administration, but menstruation has not occurred, a woman should be checked for pregnancy. Repeated administration of tablets can be carried out only after confirmation of the absence of conception.
Tablets can cause a decrease in alertness, drowsiness, and a slowdown in reactions. At the time of admission, you should abandon potentially hazardous activities: driving a transport or controlling complex mechanisms.
Like any medication, Clomid can not be taken with alcohol, so as not to reduce its effect.
The use of Clomid may be accompanied by undesirable conditions:
- NS: headaches, vertigo, sleep disturbance (drowsiness / insomnia), inhibition of mental or motor reactions, increased nervousness, irritability
- Gastrointestinal organs: nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea, abdominal pain
- Allergic reactions: rashes, dermatitis, vasomotor disorders
- Genitourinary system: pain in the lower abdomen, frequent urination, increased urine output, dysmenorrhea, longer and more plentiful menstruation, an increase in the size of the ovaries (including cystic).
Other side effects include:
- Body weight growth
- The tides
- In rare cases, visual impairment
- Hair loss
- Breast tension, soreness.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life is 2 years after release. Storage conditions - in a darkened place at t not exceeding 25 ° С.
In 2004, Clomid’s registration in Russia was canceled. The pharmaceutical market has other drugs with an identical effect for the treatment of infertility. In order not to harm the body, the selection of generics should be agreed with the attending specialist.
EGIS Pharmaceutical Plant (Hungary)
Average cost: (10 pcs.) - 576-640 rubles.
Hormone based on clomiphene citrate. The medicine is used to eliminate infertility due to problems of ovulation or spermatogenesis. Clostilbegit is also used in bodybuilding to restore the body's ability to produce testosterone itself.
The drug is made in tablets. The treatment regimen and treatment features are prescribed by the attending specialist.
- Helps with proper use.
- Eliminates ovulation problems.
- Weight gain
- Provokes cystosis.
Why do I need to take antiestrogens?
Antiestrogens are widely used by athletes who use androgenic-anabolic steroids to increase the effectiveness of training. The benefits of antiestrogens can hardly be overestimated, because after a course of steroids the endocrine glands reduce the production of testosterone. This happens for a simple reason: if the hormone enters the body from the outside, the need for its production disappears. As a result of this, the pituitary-hypothalamus-ovary arch becomes less and less active. And the longer an athlete takes steroids, the less testosterone is produced. It is important that the rate of decline in the activity of their own glands depends on the intake of prolactin, extradiol and progesterone. If the level of one of these hormones exceeds a certain value, the activity of the endocrine glands will be suppressed even more. Therefore, it is important to monitor hormone levels, be tested on time, and always have extraradiol and prolactin inhibitors at their disposal.
The less active the pituitary-hypothalamus-ovary arc becomes, the more forces will have to be spent in order to “wake it up”. Naturally, you need to return testosterone levels to normal values as quickly as possible: not only your appearance, but also the effectiveness of training depends on it. In order for the testosterone level to return to normal as soon as possible, it is recommended to take antiestrogens: clomiphene citrate, tamoxifen citrate and thorimifene citrate. Unfortunately, tamoxifen is better to be found from restoration: it is considered the dirtiest and from its reception rather unpredictable side effects can be expected. The most effective drug that many athletes recommend is clomiphene citrate, otherwise called clomid. Of course, it costs quite a lot, but the quality and result justify the high cost.
How does clomid work?
Many athletes after a course of taking steroids try to restore testosterone levels using dietary supplements, herbal infusions and other dubious means. This should not be done: after the course, the body is in the hormonal pit, when the level of follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormones is almost zero. Namely, the intensity of testosterone secretion depends on these hormones.
Clomid affects the production of FSH and LH. In addition, it binds to estrogen receptors. Therefore, even if a high level of estrogen is found in the athlete's blood, you should not be afraid: the hormone will be inactive.
In the first days of taking clomid, the levels of LH and FSH quickly reach a maximum, while the level of testosterone increases. In just a couple of weeks, testosterone levels come to a condition that was observed before the course of steroids. However, the duration of the drug depends on the individual characteristics of the athlete’s body: for someone two weeks are enough, someone needs several months.
How to take Clomid on PCT after the course
Clomid dosages depend on what the steroid course was taken. The more drugs were taken and the greater their dosages, the longer it would take time to bring the body back to normal.
In general, the reception scheme looks like this:
- after a very difficult course - 3 * 150, 12 * 100, 15 * 50, 15 * 25,
- after a hard course - 15 * 100, 15 * 50, 15 * 25,
- after the middle course - 30 * 50, 15 * 25,
- after an easy course -15 * 50, 15 * 25, 15 * 25 (once every 2 days)
- after a very easy course - 15 * 50, 15 * 25.
The first digit is the number of days during which the drug should be taken. The second digit following the asterisk is the recommended dosage of the drug. For example, 15 * 100/15 * 50 will mean that clomid must be taken within 15 days at 100 mg, and then another 15 days at 50 mg.
Reviews about the drug
On the Internet, there are practically no negative reviews about the drug. This does not seem surprising: Clomid has no side effects, at least if taken in accordance with the instructions and recommendations of specialists. Clomid makes it possible to quickly restore testosterone levels after a course of steroids, and also contributes to minimal loss of muscle mass.
How does clomid in the body and what effects can be achieved
Photo: How to take Clomid
Before buying this drug, you need to understand how clomid acts in the athlete's body. This drug is a powerful antiestrogen that blocks estrogen receptors located in the hypothalamus and testicles. It appeared on the market of pharmacology in the 70s of the last century, then it was used as a medicine for infertility and continues to be used in this field today.
Clomid is also actively used in sports practice during post-cycle therapy to eliminate unwanted reactions from the use of anabolic and androgenic steroids that occur due to the conversion of testosterone to estrogen - female sex hormones. Clomid also allows you to increase the concentration of gonadotropic hormones, which are responsible for regulating the concentration of testosterone and estrogen in the body. In general, clomid has the following effects on the athlete:
- blocks estrogen receptors in the hypothalamus, pituitary gland and gonads,
- stimulates the production of follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormones,
- accelerates spermatogenesis, promotes the early maturation of eggs in the follicles.
As mentioned above, many steroids are converted into estrogen in the athlete's body, in turn, too high an estrogen concentration can lead to gynecomastia and excessive water retention in the body - these effects are extremely undesirable in sports practice. Clomid slightly eliminates fluid retention, but the main direction of its use is the restoration of the natural production of the main male sex hormone, which is significantly suppressed by the influence of steroids and in some cases can lead to testicular atrophy. The degree of suppression of the functioning of the axis of the hypothalamus-pituitary-testes depends on how powerful the anabolic substances were and what dosages were.
It should be borne in mind that with too low testosterone in the body, the concentration of cortisol, a catabolic hormone, begins to increase, which helps subcutaneous fat deposits to accumulate faster and muscle tissue to become actively destroyed. To stop these processes, post-cycle therapy is carried out using antiestrogens - clomid.
After you have found out the principle of clomid in the athlete’s body, you need to understand how to take clomid after the course - the optimal dosage, the recommended duration of administration.
Clomid regimen for post-course therapy
Photo: How to take Clomid
How to take Clomid during post-cycle therapy depends on how difficult the steroid course was. The more anabolic substances were present on the course, the greater the dosage of steroids, the duration of the course of use, the greater the length of time it will take to restore the normal functioning of the body. The use of clomid during post-cycle therapy is as follows:
- a very difficult course of steroids requires PCT lasting 45 days - 3 days at 150 mg per day, then 12 days at 100 mg of clomid daily, then 15 days at 50 mg and at the end 15 days at 25 mg,
- a heavy course of anabolic and androgenic steroids ends with a PCT lasting 45 days - 15 days for 100 mg of clomiphene citrate, then 15 days for 50 mg and 15 days for 25 mg daily,
- для среднего курса пкт составляет также 45 дней, но с другими дозировками – 30 дней по 50 мг, потом 15 дней по 25 мг,
- an easy course of anabolic substances requires PCT for 45 days - the first 15 days are taken at 50 mg of the active component of the antiestrogen, then 15 days at 25 mg of clomid, at the end of post-cycle therapy 25 mg of clomid is also taken, but every two days for 15 days
- a very easy course of steroids ends with a PCT lasting 30 days - the first 15 days are taken at 50 mg of clomid daily, at the end of post-cycle therapy 25 mg of antiestrogen is used for 15 days.
Athletes are not able to understand what clomid tastes like, since antiestrogen tablets must be taken without chewing with water. There is also an opinion that clomid administration can be connected on the course of steroids to minimize estrogen-dependent adverse reactions, but it is worth noting that aromatase inhibitors do just fine with this task, since clomid only blocks the activity of estrogen receptors, while the body retains a high concentration of female sex hormones but they just become inactive.
It is also worth noting that the time when it is necessary to start taking clomid after the course is calculated individually. Different steroid substances are characterized by different half-lives in the athlete's body. If you start taking antiestrogen too early, when a high concentration of androgens is still observed in the blood, then its use will not give the desired result. If, on the contrary, it takes too long to wait, then the athlete risks losing a large amount of muscular tissue.
Also quite relevant is the question - how to understand that clomid is working. If estrogenic adverse reactions have already manifested themselves, including gynecomastia, then the intensity of these effects should decrease already during the first week of administration. Other athletes notice the fact that clomid acts in the form of a decrease in the phenomenon of rollback, the establishment of sexual function.