In different sources, the same asanas can be called differently. Also, different poses can bear the same name. In this article, we will consider the option of deflection with support on the feet and palms.
Probably, all of us in childhood could easily bend into the so-called bridge and stay in this position for some time without much effort. Usually this exercise is easy for children, but with age, after some period of time, you suddenly realize that this is far from a simple exercise. And all this is due to the fact that the spine loses its flexibility over time, which is the result of an incorrect lifestyle: lack of physical activity and inactivity as such, while back movement requires movement to maintain health. The pose of the bridge is a kind of “litmus test” in determining human health.
You do not need to be Einstein in order to establish that the student has some back problems if this exercise is something transcendental for him. At the same time, the Pose of the bridge is also an excellent means of healing the spinal column, strengthening the back muscles, and correcting stoop. The main thing is to start working with your body in time, and, accordingly, with the spine. And in time, in my opinion, this is still the strength and ability to perform some kind of manipulation with your body. Regular practice, coupled with awareness and sanity in the process of working with the back - the basic principles on which not only work on the spine, but also on the whole body. And yet, working with the back requires special care and discretion, because it is the foundation of life and health of all vertebrates. Therefore, if there are any serious diseases in this area, then before you start the practice of strengthening it and developing flexibility, you should consult a doctor or start practicing under the supervision of a yoga therapist. Well, for everyone who does not have contraindications to classes in this direction, you can begin to practice, guided by the above principles.
Seth Bandhasan, and how to rebuild the Pose of the bridge
In preparation for the full version of the Pose of the Bridge, you can practice a rather simple asana called “bandhasana set”, which strengthens the lower back and stretches the spine, preparing it for further stress. Starting position: lying on your back, legs bent at the knees, feet as close as possible to the buttocks, arms along the body. On inspiration, raise the pelvis from the mat to the maximum height, tighten the buttocks and push the pelvis up with them. Hands grab the feet of the heels or gather hands in the castle under the back. Stay in this position for several breathing cycles. With an exhalation, drop onto the mat, if possible, perform a few more approaches.
If this exercise is easy, you can try to make the full version of the "bridge". Starting position: lying on your back, legs bent at the knees, feet as close as possible to the pelvis. The arms are bent at the elbows, the palms are located under the shoulders, the fingers are pointing towards the feet. On inspiration, pushing your hands off the floor, raise the pelvis up, straighten your arms at your elbows, stretch your stomach and chest.
The face is facing the rug, the neck is relaxed, the lower back is extended parallel to the rug, the hips should not be spread apart, the muscles of the buttocks are tense. Stay in this position for several breathing cycles. With an exhalation, gently lower your back and pelvis onto the mat, relax. Perform one or two repetitions. As you progress in the practice of this exercise, increase the time spent in the pose. There are few contraindications to this posture, first of all they should include: back injuries, wrist injuries, heart problems, high or low blood pressure, headache. Well, the most important criteria in the issue of safety when performing this and any other exercise are, as noted above, awareness and sanity. Listen to your body, learn to balance your strengths and capabilities.
Beneficial effects of performing Bridge Poses:
- increases the flexibility of the spine, stretches the muscles of the back,
- contributes to the disclosure of the chest, shoulder joints,
- eliminates excess fat on the trunk and legs,
- stimulates the thyroid gland and pituitary gland,
- strengthens the wrists, muscles of the arms and legs, buttocks, spine and abdomen.
In conclusion, I would like to note that the Pose of the bridge is a kind of milestone on the path to healing the body, and not only on the physical level, because the full version of the "bridge" is fulfilled, a long stay in this position without undue effort and strain, the absence of painful sensations - evidence of the health and readiness of the body to perform more complex exercises. Practice consciously, cultivate constantly and in everything. Ohm.
Contraindications for the performance of Urdhva Dhanurasana are: impaired vascular tone, heart problems, back injuries, headache, carpal tunnel syndrome, diarrhea.
The pose of the bridge in yoga is beneficial: like all bends back, rejuvenates and tones the spine, the “bridge” strengthens the arms, gives rise to energy, a joyful mood, and when performed well, has a calming effect on the head.
Various variations of the bridge posture in yoga are a common component of many general strengthening and specialized back complexes. It is worth noting that the greatest therapeutic effect is achieved with prolonged retention of the asana.
- Deflection helps to heal the spine and develop flexibility. By increasing the amplitude of movement of the spine, the practitioner thereby enhances the nutrition of the spinal column and the tissues surrounding it. The back muscles are strengthened and extended, the stoop is eliminated.
- Urdhva dhanurasana opens the chest, relieves tension, tightness of this area.
- Asana helps strengthen the wrists, reducing the risk of sprains and injuries.
- Exercise can also be used as part of a complex aimed at losing weight. With the regular performance of the asana, "excess" fat is concentrated in the area of the trunk and legs.
- The Bridge trains the muscles of the buttocks, arms, legs and abdomen.
- Asana has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the pituitary and thyroid glands, leading to an improvement in the blood supply to the internal organs.
Those who regularly accept and maintain this position observe beneficial changes not only in their physical, but also in their psychological state. Stress, overstrain of the nervous system are eliminated. This is due to the fact that the pose of the bridge actively affects the chakras - the psychoenergetic centers of a person. She exerts the greatest influence on the Anahata chakra, which is responsible for emotions, the manifestation of love, and the responsiveness of an individual. Urdhva dhanurasana effectively eliminates the imbalance of this center, eliminating jealousy, the instinct of the owner in relation to a dear person and other negative manifestations of the chakra. Unpleasant emotions are replaced by benevolence, peace, the ability to selflessly wish happiness to others develops.
The bridge should be abandoned if there are the following contraindications:
- problems with heart
- back injuries
- damaged wrists
- high or too low pressure
For any diseases of the back and neck, before you start practicing asana, you need to consult a doctor.
Performing the exercise in this case is recommended under the supervision of a yoga specialist.
To start mastering the exercise is from the pose of the bridge to the set of bandhasana - a simple asana that prepares the body for a more serious load. Stacked on the back. The legs are bent at the knees, and the feet are located as close to the sciatic bones as possible. Hands lie freely along the body. At the same time as inhaling, the pelvis rises. It should be pushed up by the force of tightened buttocks until the hips are parallel to the floor. Brushes can be locked into the lock under the back or hold on to the heels. Having completed several breathing cycles, we return on exhalation to its original position.
The number of approaches varies depending on well-being and level of training.
If the set of bandhasana does not cause the slightest difficulty, we can proceed to a more complex variation. Asana suggests the same starting position that was necessary for the previous exercise. We bend our elbows so that the palms are under the shoulders, and the fingers of the hands are directed to the legs. We take a breath, while raising the torso with the strength of our hands. We stretch the pelvis up, while straightening the arms at the elbows. When performing this variation of the posture, it should feel good how the muscles of the chest and abdomen are stretched. It is also necessary to ensure that the neck remains relaxed, the buttocks are tense, and the hips "do not go away" to the sides. A person is looking into a rug. Hold the position for several breathing cycles. We fall on the mat on the exhale and relax the body.
When performing any variations of the “bridge”, it is important to appropriately evaluate one’s own strengths, to prevent overvoltage and excessive effort. The asana retention time should be increased gradually, carefully listening to the body. Regular and informed practice will surely produce results and allow you to move on to mastering more complex exercises.
- Settle on the mat, lying on your back. Bend the legs in the knee joints, and move the feet to the pelvic area.
- While holding your feet on the floor, raise your hips to the top position.
- Fix the shoulder joints on the mat (they should be directed up to the ceiling). Connect your fingers in the “lock” under the basin.
- Pressing your feet to the floor, strain your hips. The tailbone is directed towards the knee joints, and the chin is not pressed to the chest.
- Hold position for five breathing cycles, then slowly lower the body onto the mat. Repeat the asana twice.
One can prepare for the performance of this asana with the help of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana and Bhujangasana. After it, you can proceed with the implementation of Halasana, Sarvangasana, Karnapidasana.
When the exercise becomes easily feasible, you should go to a more complex variation with a raised leg to the upper position - Eka Pada Setu Bandha Sarvangasana.
Online Yoga Marathon for all ages
Recommended! Online marathon of health and yoga with free pay. More than 5,000 people have already changed their lives with it. Bonus: checklist of the 10 most healthy health habits.
The beginning of this posture is similar: the body rests on the floor surface with the help of four support points (shoulders and feet), the hips are raised up, the chin is not pressed to the body. Remaining in this position, you need to raise the right foot and pull it to the pelvis (left foot and shoulders pressed to the floor), straighten the leg up, perpendicular to the floor surface. Maintain balance for half a minute. On exhalation, return to the starting position (both feet and shoulders are pressed to the floor, hips are raised). Repeat the cycle with the left foot.
When performing a bridge pose in yoga, it is important to observe the following rules:
- raising the pelvis, it is necessary to reach it and the shoulder blades as high as possible,
- straighten shoulders and chest,
- Do not strain the gluteal muscles, but strive upwards by pushing the tailbone,
- do not push the knee joints in different directions and do not touch them, they should be parallel to the hips,
- you need to stop at a comfortable height until the pain in the knee joints.
These videos will help you build your asana properly:
Legendary Meditation Course Free
Recommended! The most popular meditation course for beginners in Russian. More than 100 thousand people have already learned to meditate. Try it yourself. More details.
It is difficult for Asan to complete the bridge for people who have tightness of the front of the body, clogged neck muscles or a weak back half of the body. Simplified variations of asanas are suitable for them.
- If you are unable to maintain the location of the knees parallel to the hips, it is recommended to do asana with a brick. Feet should be placed on a mat the width of the shoulder joints. Clamp the brick between the hips in the narrowest place of their contact (knees should not touch). Thanks to this method, the knees will be fixed in the correct position, and the lower back will not be strained.
- If your shoulders do not straighten, use a belt. When the pelvis is fixed in the upper position, you can not interlock your fingers with each other, but pick up the belt, placing the hands parallel to the shoulder joints. Raise the chest higher, expand the hips.
- If there is an abnormality in the cervical spine, a roller can be placed under it. Fold a blanket or towel in the shape of a roller and put under the neck. But it does not have to be very voluminous, it is better for the roller to repeat the natural bending of the spine in this section. Thus, the chin will not be pressed against the chest, and the neck and back are in a safer position.
Positive action of asanas:
- expands the chest
- stretches the cervical spine and the entire spine,
- normalizes the work of the lungs, thyroid gland and internal organs of the abdominal cavity,
- reduces the feeling of heaviness in the legs, toning them,
- stabilizes the digestion process,
- reduces pain during menopause and menstruation (you can perform asana instead of inverted deflections and postures),
- reduces headaches and backaches,
- brings the nervous system to rest, reduces stress and positively affects the mood of life,
- reduces anxiety and fatigue,
- favorably affects the body with high blood pressure, asthma, sinusitis and osteoporosis.