Worm breeding as a business is a great way to generate income without serious financial costs. Start-up capital is minimal, equipment is simple. The technology of growing worms at home does not require special knowledge and skills.
For those who decide to start an entrepreneurial activity, selling worms is an excellent option for making a profit with a small starting capital. High profitability and steady demand will ensure the prosperity of your vermiferm. Learn the features of this process, invest some money and get a steady income.
Is there a demand for who worm shoppers are?
Before opening a vermiferm (so called a place for breeding worms), study who needs your products. "Creeping Workers" provide several valuable products that can be implemented:
- actually living worms,
- vermicompost (fertilizer),
- Worm tea (Vermichai).
For fertilizing the soil
Valuable organic fertilizer - vermicompost is in demand both by summer residents and large farms. Biohumus increases soil fertility, enriches it with useful substances.
Start with small volumes. Use humus yourself and sell to neighbors in the country. The expansion of production will allow reaching more respectable customers.
Rarely now you will meet a fisherman who spends time searching for worms for the upcoming fishing, digging the soil. Most prefer to come and buy bait in fishing stores. The life expectancy of worms is large, demand is steady. One individual can be sold at 2 rubles. And how many worms do you need for fishing? At least 30 pieces. You will sell several packages per day. The conclusion is obvious.
At the pet store
Birds, fish and other inhabitants of the pet store constantly need live food. Worms will be taken from you with great pleasure.
For fish farms
Owners of fish farms need a lot of live feed. The high nutritional value of the worms explains the need for vermiferm products.
For plant nutrition
Worm tea - a unique product that allows to increase the yield of fruit and vegetable crops by more than 2 times. Those who grow strawberries for sale will also be your customers. The waste product of the worms is collected in a container. Natural fertilizer can be used for indoor plants and for open and closed ground (in greenhouses).
The production of biohumus and its relevance is described in this video:
The scheme is as follows:
- Preparing the habitat of your "pets".
- Purchase of breeding stock consisting of adults, fry and cocoons of worms.
- Settling a family in a prepared "house".
- Processing of compost by worms and conversion of the latter after a certain period into vermicompost.
- Propagation of worms.
- Collection of fertile layer, worm tea, live individuals for sale.
- Adding a new layer of nutrient litter that serves as food for worms.
- The process begins anew.
Nuances and secrets in the process of breeding worms
Consider the features of the life of the worms. Your task is to create comfortable conditions for their life and reproduction. A quiet, calm place without vibrations and noise will help to achieve good results.
It is not enough just to fill the earth in a box, populate the worms and wait for their quick reproduction. The soil in which they live can be divided into three zones:
- Upper layer - a place of food. Soil enriched with nutrients and organic residues will be required,
- Middle layer - the space where the bulk of individuals live,
- bottom layer - the most valuable. Here, soil processing products and derivatives of vital activity are accumulating: biohumus and worm tea.
Note: worms multiply rapidly. Think about whether you can increase the area of the vermiferm. Harvest enough new “houses” for transplanting individuals.
Year-round cultivation of worms will require good distribution channels. Explore the market and potential buyers in your area, city, village. Focus on indicators: a stable family, having wintered in good conditions, will increase by almost 10 times!
Basic conditions for worm breeding - what is needed for this business
Examine each item carefully. Creating a home vermiferm is quite simple. The advice of specialists and experienced farmers will help you.
Even some retirees plan to open a business in breeding California worms, the main thing is to study the technology and put it into practice, as described in this video:
California Red Worm (HRC)
Popular view. When buying, make sure that the individuals are mobile and red. Breeding stock should be from 1500 individuals or more. For 1 cubic meter of soil from 1 to 3 families will be required.
It multiplies rapidly, provides high-quality biohumus. Not picky about food. It does not tolerate temperatures well below + 10C.
A direct competitor to the famous California counterpart. High activity, the ability to process feeds efficiently, and the rapid growth of biomass are distinguished by the type of Prospector.
It tolerates temperatures from + 9C to + 28C. From 1000 kg of substrate, the yield of vermicompost reaches 60%.
Give preference to industrial types of worms: the HRC or the Prospector. Productivity is higher than that of a conventional earthworm.
What equipment will be needed
To organize a small home vermiferm you need a minimum amount of equipment and inventory:
- sieve for sifting,
- instruments measuring the acidity of the soil and its temperature,
- room thermometer
Make the main emphasis on the proper arrangement of collars, pits or boxes for growing worms and preparing compost.
What packaging and in which cases is better to use
Where to place newly acquired individuals and where to plant new families? At home, use several varieties of nurseries:
- Wooden box
Size: 1m x 2m x 0.5m. Boards - from 25 mm thick. The openings in the bottom will allow the outflow of valuable fluid. To collect it, the box is installed with a slight slope. Below you need a pallet for collecting vermicum. The cover is made of plywood and downed boards with holes for ventilation.
- Old fridge
All "entrails" are removed, the camera is installed with the door up. We need holes for ventilation in the door and walls. Be sure to set the "house" at an angle to the bars.
- Cardboard box
A great option to start an activity. Dimensions of a nursery box made of cardboard: 400 mm x 300 mm. Eco-friendly material breathes well. Worms feed on pieces of cardboard. The box is damp and thinner - bring a new one.
- Plastic container
There are many varieties: from a large flower pot to high-quality plastic containers of large sizes. Prerequisite: air access, otherwise the worms will suffocate in too moist soil. Drill holes in the walls and cover. Place a basin or drip tray for collecting vermicum.
- Special Vermicomposter
The most convenient and expensive version of equipment for breeding worms. Most small entrepreneurs use homemade options easier.
How does the vermicomposter work?
Which soil is better to use and why
The activity of individuals, their reproduction and the rate of processing of organic waste depends on the quality of the soil.
Follow the rules:
- half of the tank fill with a layer of humus. You can add some shredded cardboard,
- moisten the mixture. Humidity should not exceed 70-80%,
- after 2-3 days, make several depressions in the soil, populate the worms with part of the soil in which they lived before being transplanted into a box,
- smoothly level, moisten the soil. Cover the "house" with cardboard,
- wait a couple of days
- after successful acclimatization, feed can be added.
Always carry out a test check-in in a small container. Place 50 to 100 individuals on a substrate. After a day, check if they are alive. This will let you know if your pets are soothed with acidity.
A few dead worms are a signal for a change in acidity.
Improve performance will help:
- sawdust or straw,
- tops of plants.
To reduce acidity are suitable:
- ordinary chalk
- ground shell
What and how to feed the worms
All types of worms do not have special food requirements. The value of worms is that they accelerate the processing of waste rotting on your site in a compost heap for 1.5 - 2 years, several times. Biohumus for sale and grown worms can be harvested every 4-6 weeks.
Basic feeding rules
Worms feed on novice rot and dead plant debris.
- meat waste
- citrus. Increase acidity
- not diluted kefir. Increases soil acidity, leading to mold,
- the whole peel of vegetables or fruits, bits (freeze or skip the cleaners through a meat grinder to destroy the cell walls),
- fresh manure. Rotting substance generates a large amount of heat. The temperature will rise to 70C, the worms will die.
- plant residues: cabbage leaves, potato peeling, banana peel, boiled vegetables,
- food waste
- stale bread, pastries,
- tea leaves and coffee grounds,
- egg shell powder
- the water with which you rinsed a can of sour cream or kefir,
- grass, leaves, straw,
- fermented manure (cow, horse), chicken droppings. Important: in very old manure, few nutrients remain.
A new portion of food is added after everything is eaten. Excess food waste leads to increased acidity and fermentation in the soil.
What packaging options for transferring worms to customers can be used
Products are packaged in:
- Dense plastic bags measuring 150mm x 100mm with holes for breathing worms. Store at a temperature approaching the lower mark. So the worms will be less mobile. A sufficient layer of soil is required. Convenient for fishing shops or individual fishermen,
- cardboard boxes. Box weight - within 8 kg. A sufficient layer of substrate is required. Uterine families tolerate transportation well. The transfer method is suitable for large consignments.
Worm Implementation Options
Use all channels to attract potential buyers. People should learn as much as possible about your products.
How to sell:
- Direct sales method. Go with the goods and offer to the shops “everything for fishing”, in pet stores, familiar fishermen, neighbors in the country, farmers. Vermicay is readily taken by amateur gardeners and avid summer residents.
- Advertising on the Internet: on free bulletin boards such as Avito, in social networks, on a farmer or fishing site. Perhaps you have a website? Use this pad too.
If funds permit, print flyers. If you are limited in finances - write announcements and paste them on bulletin boards.
Estimated Estimated Business Profitability
Breeding worms as a business is a profitable investment. With 2 cubic meters of nursery per year of successful work, you can get up to 15-20 thousand individuals for sale and about a ton of vermicompost. Only 2 rubles per 1 unit - and you already have 40 thousand rubles. Add the value of vermicompost and vermicompost.
The profitability of the vermiferm lies within 150% and above. Some owners manage to raise this figure even higher.
The reasons for such good performance are:
- practically non-waste technology
- minimum food costs for worms,
- high breeding rate of individuals,
- low production costs
- fast and high-quality waste processing into vermicompost,
- equipment can be made from improvised materials,
- a minimum of farm workers
- wide opportunities for marketing products,
- steady demand.
Pros and Cons of a Worm Breeding Business
Growing worms benefits both the owner of the vermiferm, and the environment, and numerous buyers, spared the problem of finding valuable protein feed. There are practically no shortcomings in such a business.
In case of significant success, it will be possible to think about acquiring a mini-factory to diversify your business - in more detail.
For those who decide to grow worms for sale, it would be advisable to start with a small home farm in an old refrigerator or wooden box.
Having fully mastered the technology, having studied in practice the nuances of the case, "having recruited" customers, you will be able to expand and organize a vermi-farm on an industrial scale. More substantial investments will be required. At this stage, you can prepare a business plan for breeding worms in order to optimize processes and attract additional funds for development.
A home mini-farm will allow you to make enough capital to open a serious production.
Now you know that breeding worms as a business is profitable and environmentally friendly. Learn technology, establish sales channels - and your business will flourish.
Hello, I am going to start this business with minimal costs (One uterine seed) and further development. I’ve been studying this issue for a long time, and your article is very good, but I can’t find where to find information about how much manure (cattle) should lie down before the urea leaves and how to speed up this process. I would be very grateful if you help or tell me the necessary literature on which you can prepare in more detail and correctly.
I did not know that worms can hibernate at sub-zero temperatures. In our city, a lot of people sell worms right on the highway when we go to visit another city. And not only in the summer. It can be seen that it is very profitable, and the troubles are minimal, especially in the summer. My husband sometimes buys from me, mainly in autumn and winter. And in the summer he digs himself.
Thanks for the good information, I will definitely try
Hello. Is there a difference in breeding for increasing the number of worms and for the production of vermicompost?
Good time, days. Interesting, I want to do it.
Good deed. First of all, restoration of ecology, restoration of the humus layer of the soil. Mother Earth will be healthy and grace to humanity. With a good alignment and proper balance of power, sweat laboring rain will pour in gold.
Subject to the availability of a personal subsidiary farm, it is sufficient to invest no more than 50 thousand rubles in a home-based worm breeding business. The main expenses will be spent on the purchase of the brood stock and the manufacture of boxes with substance for the winter maintenance of worms. Also, depending on the scale of production, the availability of an appropriate feed base is necessary. Otherwise, the business will not be profitable.
I'm on retirement. Tired of traveling on shifts! Maybe worm breeding too? The son has come up with an idea today. I don’t know how to be! Can try?
please give me your phone number I want to talk about your business
How do I order worms to start with? I live in Israel
Once they gave me a jar of California worms, and I never had such a crop. Please tell me the address where you can buy worms closer - I live in Khabarovsk
I can’t say that there is no end to worms from buyers in our town by the sea, but in the summer season trade is quick. True, I not only grow worms. I also have my own fishing tackle shop, where I also sell worms.
In our region, breeders with signs and boxes sit along the road and sell worms. I don’t know how legal this is, but such sales significantly save fishermen’s time. It’s not necessary to go to special shops to buy worms; you can buy bait along the way. This option can be considered as one of the ways to sell the goods.
I breed worms in the basement of my house. Started with a small volume. First, a tray near a paid lake - not far from my village. Now there is a circle of their customers. To retirement, the supplement is not bad. Many fishermen call in for bait. Especially in winter and early spring, demand is good.
By the way, I have been doing this business for about 5 years now, breeding worms for fishing, in my summer cottage. The business is excellent, no investments, only naturally it takes time. I also keep a tent in the market to sell worms, they disperse very well! Already have their own clientele.
Yes, the business is specific. Well, if such products are in steady demand, and you must live at least in a private house. This is definitely an amateur, although there will certainly be a demand for such exotic.
I could not get past this topic, because I remember a real example from the late 90s, when our friend was able to unwind and rise from scratch in this business. Now this is a seasoned businessman. And then it was an ordinary teacher of labor in vocational schools, then state employees were not paid salaries for several months, and even then, if payments were expected, they were a penny. For which you can’t feed your family. And he decided to grow worms, and right here in the vocational school, in the back room. The director was aware, but turned a blind eye to this, then everyone survived as best they could.
I remember how we all walked and looked at these worms, if I’m not mistaken, they were California red (I remember exactly that they weren’t the usual rain). Guys teased our businessman, women fuked and turned up their noses.But nevertheless, he borrowed everything from salary to salary, since the profit from this business was obvious, he sold it to pet shops, gardeners, gardeners, fishermen, he did not break the price, and they took it with pleasure.
And he was busy with them, as with small children. And he constantly monitored the temperature, set the boxes with the material at different levels, and observed the ventilation modes. Once there was a tragedy that derailed his business - they told him that they needed to add eggshells to the ground for food. But they didn’t specify that it should be finely ground, just in flour. And he threw it into the ground, just crumpled, the worms simply cut themselves when moving in the soil. This is now a lot of information on the Internet, and such errors can be avoided, and then our businessman collected information bit by bit from the same amateur businessmen in magazines and called up them around the country.
What am I leading to - this business is really profitable, the sales market is huge and wide, there would be a desire. But do not classify it as one of the easy and quick-returning ones; there are risks, as in any business.
But, something that does not require a huge start-up capital and even a pensioner in strength is obvious.
It would not even have crossed my mind to make worm farming. I read the full article, everything turned out to be more than real. But I don’t think that from this lesson there will be a constant stable income, so you can do this as a hobby, in your free time or for pensioners in order to earn extra money and not sit idle. By the way, I think it’s better to breed worms in the city, because for the sale of “finished” products it is better to have regular customers who are unlikely to go to your village for a can of worms. But still, the income from this may well be, and if you wish, you can carefully study all the points and nuances and try to make money on it
Very interesting type of business.
Low cost, simple and cost effective.
The pitfall of this business, I think, will be the sale of products in Russia.
As I understood from the article, everything is happening in Latvia.
But what about our 35 degree frosts (I live in the northwest)?
Thank you very much for the valuable information.
It seemed to me that in our small town there was nothing to do, all the ideas had already been sorted out, but there were some unexpected methods, and you had to think of such a simple solution! We need to think carefully about this, of course, some pitfalls will come up, but I think everything is completely solvable. The main thing is that no one is engaged in such a business so far, so we must hurry. As they say - everything ingenious is simple!
Worm breeding at home as a business: advantages and disadvantages
Worms can not only be collected in the wild, but also grown in special farms - vermifers.
The scope of worms is very wide. They can be used in animal husbandry, vegetable growing, fish farming and other agricultural sectors.
Different types of worms can become:
- valuable top dressing for poultry,
- fish food in fish farms or bait necessary for fishing,
- manufacturers of organic fertilizer, widely used in horticulture and vegetable growing.
Despite the abundance of end users, the need for worms in the market has not yet been met. A novice entrepreneur may well occupy this niche.
Worm breeding as a home-based business has a number of advantages:
- minimum investment
- the business is suitable for people with no agricultural experience,
- starting with small volumes, you can gradually increase production,
- worms are undemanding and quickly multiply,
- food leftovers, paper and other waste are suitable for food,
- wide market.
Breeding nutria at home for beginners: where to start and how to succeed in this area, you can find in the article here.
It is worth considering the small difficulties of the project:
- Demand for worms is not structured, each entrepreneur will have to build sales channels independently.
- It is better to place a mini-farm on a personal plot, to breed worms in an apartment is not too convenient.
- For normal life, worms need high temperature and humidity. It’s difficult to provide the necessary conditions in winter, so the business can be considered seasonal,
- The farm cannot be left unattended.
A drop in temperature, a drying out of the substrate or a lack of nutrition can cause massive death of the worms and your financial loss.
Starting a Worm Breeding Business for Beginners
- Register a legal entity.Best suited registration as an IP. Such an organizational form allows you to pay tax at a minimum rate. No additional permissions are required to set up a worm farm.
- Choose a location for the farm. For fast propagation, worms need to provide high humidity and a stable temperature. Settle the worms in a warm outhouse, in a barn, garage or basement. The room can be equipped with an additional heater with a household humidifier.
- Buy worms. You need to purchase them from the owners of worm farms. Choose the worms of the species you need or breed several breeds at once. The conditions of their detention are the same.
Which worms are suitable for breeding?
Different types of worms are suitable for breeding on a mini-farm. Each breed has its own advantages. The most popular are:
- Earthworms. A popular species in demand among fishermen. Worms are readily bought by poultry farms and private farms. The worms are nutritious, easily adapt to any conditions of detention. They do not like waterlogged soil, they are absolutely undemanding to feed. You can not buy individuals for a vermiferm, but collect them on your own personal plot.
The only disadvantage of the species is low fecundity. Worms reproduce slowly, so they are best grown together with other breeds.
- Dung worms. They breed fast enough, suitable for quick processing of fertilizers. Worms can be bought or collected on their own, reducing the initial costs of organizing a farm. Fertility is low; in a year, one individual produces a livestock of 200 worms.
- California worms. The most popular type for those who rely on the production and sale of humus. Californians cultivate the land very well and are highly productive. Fertility is average; no more than 500 worms per 1 individual are produced per year. For the farm, you need to choose the largest, brightest and most mobile worms, sluggish and pale are rejected.
- Prospectors A very prolific breed, the bottom of the individual is able to produce up to 1500 worms during the year. Undemanding to the conditions of detention, omnivores. They tolerate a drop in temperature to 9 degrees without problems, while maintaining sufficient activity.
Breeding budgies at home as a business: an approximate business plan with calculations and tips for caring for these birds can be found in our new publication here.
Breeding worms at home for fishing.
How to breed worms at home for fishing and selling?
To place worms, any plastic or wood boxes are suitable. The optimal size is 30-40 cm. Boxes can be arranged in tiers, saving space in the room.
You can use specially made wooden containers. They need to make holes for fluid drainage and ventilation.
The boxes are filled with wet compost, then a batch of worms is launched in them. From time to time, the soil needs to be carefully loosened and watered from a fine-meshed watering can.
2-3 days after the settlement of the worms begin to feed. As feed is used:
- manure (pork, cow, rabbit, goat),
- shredded and soaked paper, cardboard,
- food waste (cleaning and residues of vegetables and fruits),
- tea or coffee brewing.
Meat, eggs and other waste products of protein origin are not suitable for feeding worms. Solid vegetables and fruits can be pre-passed through a blender. The feed is laid out on the compost surface of 3-5 cm layers.
Find out in this article how to start your business in breeding turkeys and what are the conditions for keeping these birds in the winter season.
If you plan not only to breed worms for sale, but also to receive nutritious humus, do boxes double. Numerous holes are made in the bottom, the worms gradually move down, releasing the processed humus, which can be removed and replaced with fresh compost.
How to sell products?
It is better to sell worms at once through several channels. You can:
- organize trade in the market,
- take worms to pet stores in bulk,
- offer them to shops selling fishing products,
- sell worms at retail outlets selling gardening supplies.
Here are some basic rules and tips for raising and keeping sheep at home.
A business plan for breeding worms at home for sale.
Sample business plan: cost and income accounting
Calculating the costs of organizing a farm is easy. If you have a suitable room, you will have to spend money on containers for worms and the purchase of mother liquor. Food costs are negligible.
To create a small farm you will have to spend:
- purchase of worms - from 3000 rubles,
- creation of a farm (boxes, care equipment) - from 2000 rubles.
One worm per year can produce offspring of up to 1,500 individuals. With an average price of 30 cents, the profit from one worm will be 450 rubles.
A sample business plan for breeding fish in artificial ponds, as well as a guide to create an artificial pond with your own hands - here.
Reviews of vermifer farmers about the worm breeding business
Review of Vasily from Moscow:
My small farm is located in a major garage. He was engaged in breeding worms at home for his own fishing, then he supplied them with friends and neighbors, first for free, then for money.
It turned out that the case is quite profitable. Today there are no sales problems, everyone is dismantled for the season.
I’m thinking about expanding production, there are already requests from traders in the market, they will take worms for sale.
Review of Konstantin from Volgograd:
My father, an avid fisherman and gardener, decided to tackle the worms. I read that they make good fertilizer. They bought California worms, they say they are the most useful. Humus is really processed perfectly, we use it in the garden.
Well, we sell little worms, they multiply quickly. And there’s almost no need to take care of them, they live in crates, just manage to sprinkle manure.
Of course, we have amateur production, but you can earn money on it. We want to try to buy more worms next year, we will breed them seriously.
Among the owners of vermiferms, this type of worm is very popular due to its unpretentiousness in food, high vital activity, and also fast reproduction. It is worth noting that the standard number of red worms reaches 1,500 units. When choosing a family, you need to pay attention to the color and mobility of individuals. A distinctive feature of red worms is the increased amount of vermicompost generated as a result of life.
Unlike the Californians, the prospectors are more resistant to sudden changes in temperature. High activity, efficient feed processing, fast biomass growth, unpretentiousness in feed, excellent substrate performance and a huge amount of vermicompost make this type of worms highly popular.
It is recommended that you start a business with worms with thoroughbred species: their efficiency and productivity is much higher than that of ordinary earthworms living in local soils. At the same time, these varieties are distinguished by an increased number of by-products, which is also one of the most important conditions for keeping a vermiferm.
Land in the nursery
The high vital activity and normal vital activity of worms, especially pedigree species, requires ensuring the most optimal soil conditions by dividing the soils in the nursery into three main zones:
1. The lower layer, in which secondary worm tea and vermicompost are formed and accumulate,
2. The middle layer, the main habitat of individuals and families,
3. The top layer by which worms are fed. The selection of soil for the top layer must be given special attention.
The quality of the soil determines the activity of the worm, the rate of reproduction and processing of food. Maximum efficiency can be achieved by following a few simple rules:
• Containers for breeding must be covered with a dense layer of humus mixed with crushed cardboard,
• Make sure that the soil moisture does not fall below 75 and does not rise above 80%,
• Populate the family 2-3 days after laying the soil in a container,
• Cover the nursery with cardboard,
• After acclimatization of the worms, apply bait.
In addition, special attention must be paid to the level of soil acidity. For breeding worms, the optimal indicator should be within the established norm of 6.5-7.5 pH. If dead worms are found, the soil acid level must be measured. You can increase the acidity through impurities from straw or sawdust, while chalk, eggshell or limestone helps to reduce the rate.
The choice of premises also needs to be given special attention, because a high reproduction rate over time will require the expansion of a vermiferm. Any heated room with high humidity is suitable for breeding a worm. As a location, you can use:
• Basement or cellar,
• Garage or outbuilding,
• Attic room.
With the development of business, most vermifermers face the need for expansion. It is worth noting that a separate room for the farm is relevant only when it requires a high volume of products sold.
With a sharp drop in temperature to + 4C, some of the individuals die, the rest fall into sleep. That is why the most acceptable temperature for maintaining the activity of earthworms is considered to be + 15 ... + 25 degrees. Nevertheless, in modern markets, species are presented whose peak activity is at a temperature of + 8C.
Earthworm Breeding Equipment
In the initial stages, the worm breeding business requires a basic set of equipment. In addition to containers, it is important to purchase or find:
1. Industrial scales,
2. Screen sieve,
3. Wheelbarrow for transporting containers,
4. 10 liters. soil transfer bucket,
5. Shovel, pitchfork and rake,
6. Devices for measuring soil indicators,
7. Indoor and soil thermometer,
8. Racks for storage of containers.
Container for breeding worms at home
As a nursery at the initial stages of business organization, you can use:
1. Wooden nursery.
The most optimal option is a wooden box with a size of 1x2x0.5 m. With a thickness of boards from 25 mm. The cover for such a nursery is made in accordance with the materials and dimensions of the box. Do not forget about ventilation. To ensure a stable flow of worm tea, several holes must be drilled at the bottom of the structure, as well as a container adapted to collect liquid.
2. The chamber of the old refrigerator
The most optimal nursery option for beginner vermifermery. The old refrigerator, devoid of internal parts, is installed horizontally, the bars are inclined. An influx of fresh air requires holes in the door.
3. Cardboard boxes
The least expensive option of organizing nursery. Besides the fact that cardboard is one of the most environmentally friendly and "breathing" materials, worms use it as food. In case of soaking or thinning, it is enough to bring a new box, a little larger than the one that is used as a nursery.
4. Plastic containers
Plastic is one of the most popular materials for creating a worm nursery. At the same time, you can use both ordinary flower pots and large containers, however, in both cases, it is necessary to ensure the ventilation of the container.
5. Professional vermicomposter
One of the most expensive and effective nursery options, with many advantages. A multi-level construction, including several waste compartments, a liquid collector, means for maintaining soil moisture, as well as an advanced earth ventilation system ensures maximum worm reproduction efficiency.
Worms are extremely unpretentious to food, however, properly selected food can accelerate the release of substances responsible for the production of vermicompost. The best food for the earthworm is dead or rotting plant debris. To increase the vital activity of worms, it is recommended to feed:
• plant residues,
• food waste,
• stale pastries,
• egg shell powder,
• residues after washing containers from kefir or sour cream,
• fermented cattle manure or bird droppings.
However, some foods can lead to a decrease in the activity of the worm, increase or decrease in acidity of the soil, as well as the death of certain species. Thus, the use of:
1. Meat waste
2. Citrus (affects the acidity of the soil),
3. Kefir, not diluted with water,
4. Цельных огрызков, неперемолотых растительных остатков,
5. Свежего навоза, выделяемого тепло в процессе гниения.
Важно помнить, что новую порцию корма необходимо добавлять лишь после того, как будет съедена старая. In the presence of excess, the process of soil fermentation is activated, due to which a significant increase in pH is observed.
Earthworm Breeding Business Scheme
The scheme for breeding a worm for further sale is as follows:
1. Site preparation
2. The acquisition of breeding stock (family),
3. Settlement in the nursery,
4. Processing of compost into humus,
5. Reproduction of individuals,
6. Collecting soil, liquids and worms for sale,
7. The introduction of nutrient litter for further reproduction.
After this, the cycle can be repeated.
Sales of finished products
Before starting a business, you need to determine the category of product buyers. In addition to the worms themselves, the by-products of their livelihoods are extremely popular. For example, humus, formed due to the activity of worms, is actively used in agriculture as one of the best fertilizers. Equally popular with gardeners and gardeners is worm tea for feeding indoor, greenhouse and street plants.
In this case, the main customers of vermifer farmers are considered:
- Gardeners and gardeners who turn to breeders for humus and vermicum - fertilizers that increase soil fertility and crop quality,
- Owners of fishing stores. Based on how much worms cost for fishing, modern fishermen prefer to purchase them in specialized stores. The rather long life expectancy of the earthworm provides a constant demand for these products,
- Pet shop owners using worms as food for animals, fish and birds. It is worth noting that pet stores prefer to buy worms in bulk,
- Owners of fish farms in need of huge amounts of feed. Unlike pet stores, fisheries representatives purchase bulk worms in bulk in bulk from several suppliers.
That is why the cultivation of earthworms can bring profit, albeit small, but stable, because the worms themselves, like the products of their vital functions, are in great demand.
Worm breeding is a cost-effective and profitable type of business
With minimal investments during the year, growing worms as a business allows you to get up to 40 thousand rubles on worms alone, because today the cost of one individual varies between 2 rubles and 2 cubic meters. m. nursery has a potential of 15-20 thousand individuals. In addition, about a ton of vermicompost and several hundred liters of worm tea are collected from the same nursery. To start a business, it is better to immediately buy 2-3 families of worms, the cost of such an acquisition will be from 3000 rubles. For the settlement of 1m3 of soil will need 1-3 families.
The high rate of return and potential of the vermiferm is explained by:
• lack of production waste,
• minimal cost of feeding,
• fast reproduction,
• low production costs,
• availability of materials,
• vast sales markets,
• steady demand not only for worms, but also for fertilizers.
It is worth noting that the cultivation of worms as a business pays off by optimizing production capacities and expanding the number of nurseries.
Advantages and disadvantages of a worm farm
Most vermifer farmers argue that breeding earthworms as a business is free from flaws. Starting from a small home farm, using an old refrigerator, a cardboard box or plastic dishes as a nursery, you can master all the nuances and subtleties, building up a customer base. Over time, the cultivation of earthworms can be expanded, but this will require more serious investments. Nevertheless, statistics show that the vermiferm passes the breakeven point quickly enough, therefore worm breeding, a business plan drawn up by a specialist, can attract serious investment.
Starting from a home mini-farm, you can stay on a steady income, but the money collected from the sale of worms and fertilizers should be enough to open a more serious production.
In addition, the cultivation of worms is very beneficial for the environment, because fertilizers sold by breeders have a positive effect on the soil, as well as plant growth and increased yield. Today, entrepreneurs get the main profit from growing worms for fishing, because summer residents do not yet know how to make compost and what role the worm plays in obtaining high-quality soil for growing vegetables.
By the way, a business on worms can become a business in the form of an addition to the main one. Good luck