Mango is one of the most common fruits in Asia, sold in every market and in every store. In our country, this fruit continues to be exotic.
Few people know that in the homeland of mangoes - in Thailand, India and Myanmar, it is even eaten unripe by adding sharp and sweet spices to the pulp.
The taste of ripe mango is reminiscent of the combination of flavors of ripe pineapple and peach. Its flesh literally melting in the mouth quenches thirst, gives freshness and coolness, while also stimulating appetite.
Selection of ripe mangoes
When choosing a suitable fetus, you need to pay attention, first of all, to the following points:
- smoothness of the peel (it should be shiny and attractive),
- density and heaviness - too soft specimens have probably already begun to deteriorate,
- sagging and wrinkling of the skin, which indicates the overripeness of the fetus,
- sweet and pleasant aroma - the presence of sour or alcoholic notes indicates spoilage that has begun,
- skin color - hardly anyone will like the pulp of green fruit, flavored with hot Thai spices.
One ripe mango contains many vitamins of groups A and B, calcium, magnesium and iron, and almost half of the daily intake of vitamin C necessary for a person.
Do I need to peel mango and how to do it
The peel of the fetus is very thick, absolutely tasteless and not very useful for our body. It is customary to cut it off, as well as remove the bone.
Let’s figure it out how to peel a mango with a stone in the simplest way.
- In order to cut the maximum pulp, you need to install the fruit vertically. The sharp end of the mango should be at the bottom.
- The mango seed is large and flat and is located along the entire fruit.
- The knife should be directed along the bone and gently cut the flesh on both sides.
How to peel mangoes: two basic approaches
The whole variety of mango cleaning methods comes down to two main options. The peel from the fetus can be removed at the very beginning of cleaning and cutting or at the end.
One way or another, the first step is to cut off the stem with leaves, thoroughly rinse the fruit in water. You can use a special brush for vegetables, although it seems absolutely superfluous. After all, the peel will still be removed.
Other ways to peel and chop mangoes at home
The simplest thing is to carefully remove the peel from the fetus. Then separate the bone from the pulp, and then cut it into beautiful cubes.
A more spectacular way is as follows:
- the fruit is cut in half along the bone,
- then perpendicular cuts are made on both halves in increments of a couple of centimeters, while the skin should remain intact,
- then both halves need to be slightly bent with the pulp side and cut off the marked cubes with a knife.
In order to peel an overripe mango with a bone, you just need to cut it into two halves, remove the bone with a spoon, and then proceed with it to taste the fruit pulp.
Mango can be peeled and vegetable housekeeper. The main thing is to do this as carefully as possible so as not to cut off the precious pulp.
Already cut into two parts of the mango from the peel can be peeled like this:
- stock up on a plate and a glass, tightly clasp a glass with one hand, take the fruit in the other,
- attach the mango to the edge of the glass, so that the skin is outside the dishes,
- lightly press on the fruit and hold it half to the bottom of the glass,
- transfer the separated pulp from a glass to a dish and discard the peels.
In this way, you can get two whole and peeled halves of an exotic fruit. Then they can be cut as you like and serve.
Another simple method of slicing a peeled fruit is with slices, like a simple apple or pear. Knife virtuosos can use the most dangerous way - divide mangoes into thin slices. With them then it is quite possible to decorate some noble dessert.
To clean or not to clean?
It has long been known that the pulp of this fruit includes many useful vitamins and properties. In this case, the peel of the fruit is considered no less useful product. Often, mango peels are used in the treatment of diseases. However, eating it is not recommended. The taste is not the same, and it is difficult to chew.
The peel of the fruit itself is a powerful allergen, when compared with the pulp. So, we clean the fruit without hesitation!
How to cleanse the fetus?
Since the ripe fruit is juicy, peeling it will be the most difficult. But here, cleaning methods differ.
1) can clean it with a knifeas if it’s a potato and eat like an apple. However, you will have to prepare for splashes of sticky juice - on clothing, on the surfaces of the face, skin and interior. And in the appendage between the teeth there will be threads from the fruit.
2) The second method is less eccentric and more civilized. On both sides of the fruit, keeping as close to the bone as possible cut the fruit into slices. We also cut the pieces of fruit remaining on the sides, and remove the stone. As a result, we get the halves on which we make cross-shaped cuts excluding cuts of the skin. If you turn out the slices, you get a "mango hedgehog." It remains only to cut it off the skin of the fetus and put on a saucer. In order not to lose juice, we carry out an operation on any container.
3) The previous method is not suitable for a soft, ripe fruit. However, it will be possible to arm yourself with the most ordinary spoon and absorb the crumb from the casing fruit.
4) If the fruit is too ripe and soft, then we discard complex theories and simply cut the fruit into equal parts. However, with this method we will not get whole pieces of fruit.
5) In cases where the fruit has ripened, but not too soft, then clean it with a potato peelerstarting at the top edge of the mango. After that, take a small knife and cut out the fetal lobes. And cut the flesh along its axis.
So easy to peel mangoes. So, it’s not a tricky business and it’s time to move on to practice, and then to the table!
To process the mango fruit, we need:
- Sharp knife. This is really important, because when processing mangoes, especially soft ones, without sharp tools, you can lose a lot of precious juice from the fruit and crush it,
- A plate so that the juice does not spill over the entire kitchen surface, and then be able to pour it back onto the processed fruit,
- A glass to separate the pulp from the skin in an original way,
Method number 1: Half in a glass
- We lay the fruit horizontally, and taking it with our hand, cut along the part, slightly to the side of the bone. Try to cut the piece as close to the bone as possible:
- Repeat with the other half of the fetus:
- After receiving two halves, take a glass cup, and alternately pry the flesh with the help of the face of the glass, trying to "scrape" it off the skin:
- Take the core, carefully cut its skin and cut out the bone, leaving only one pulp. For convenience, use a small knife,
Method number 2: Mango hedgehog
- Similarly to the first method, cut two halves of the fruit to the left and right of the bone, as close as possible to it,
- Put the half pulp up and make longitudinal cuts with an interval of 0.5-1 cm:
- Now you can proceed to cut across, resulting in cubes.
Important! The cuts should be done very carefully, as close as possible to the skin with the blade, but in no case not cutting it so as not to damage the entire "structure".
After completing the transverse cuts, carefully invert the contents of the “overturn”, receiving protruding cubes, which, subsequently, can be cut and continue processing:
- We do the same operations with the second half.
It is not necessary to make transverse and longitudinal cuts. It all depends on your imagination and desires. For example, you can make diagonal dimensions, then the cut fruit will look much more efficient.
Method number 3: Using a spoon
The essence of the method is to cut the fruit into three parts, as well as in the previous methods, and to cut the halves in such a way as to make the hedgehog again. Unlike the method with the hedgehog, we make the net smaller, after which we take a spoon and pry the flesh as close to the skin as possible.
The disadvantage of this method in comparison is that the loss of juice will be greater due to a small section of the fetal fibers.
Tip: Do not rush to throw a mango seed. It can be planted at home, and it is quite possible that after a while you will become the happy owner of a mango tree at home.
Method number 4: Mango for mashed potatoes, juices, cocktails
Children are very fond of mashed exotic fruit. It is useful for the organs of vision, due to the content of vitamin A. In the case when we do not need the shape of cubes or other forms of the fruit, we can peel the skin with an ordinary potato peeler and cut the mango into pieces in a circle around the bone. Beat the resulting pulp with a blender and serve. It is especially important when the fetus is ripe and does not have an elastic shape for its convenient processing.
To feel the real, sliding and sweet taste of the fruit, with all its subtleties, serve and take mangoes chilled.
How to serve mango
Depending on the method of cleaning and preparing mangoes, there are different methods for serving this exotic fruit on the table. Basically, the fruit is cut into slices or small cubes for convenient eating with a fork. Do not serve mangoes with skins, guests should not touch the fruit with their hands when it secretes juice. It tends to irritate the skin, which can spoil the impression of the visit and the table as a whole.
If there are children on the guest list, make them a mango puree. The fruit is sweet enough and does not require additional processing, except for breaking into porridge with a blender.