You will need a photograph of a face measuring 25 x 20 cm or a portrait of the same size. As a rule, they photograph the head and shoulders, concentrating on the face. A photograph that includes a person’s shoulders is called a three by four photograph.
Such a photograph is the hallmark of actors and people of art. It is shown to directors to determine whether a person’s appearance is suitable for a specific role.
In the UK, these photos are done in black and white, while in the USA they are usually colored. Therefore, it is very important that the photographer knows for the filming of the film of which country the actor is being photographed.
How to take the right photos?
Having in your asset high-quality professional photographs is one of the most important things in this industry.
The basic minimum, which will allow you to contact the agencies for placement in the database and leave these printed photos to casting directors on samples and castings. Now, what are the requirements for photographs:
- photographs should be taken with a smooth, filling light, without shadows on the face
- competent cropping: several close-ups (head and shoulders), a waist plan (waist-high) and several growth plans (full-length)
- on emotions: a calm, friendly look at the camera, a few photos with an open smile (for work in advertising),
- background - plain, preferably gray or white
- clothes: without stripes and prints, mainly the middle of the color scheme
- makeup: natural, natural, the way you plan to go to auditions
Now let's open the secret - these photos are already enough to start a career and such photos are not expensive at a price. The fact is that before you order a full-fledged expensive portfolio, you should already have knowledge about the methods of posing, acting techniques, the ability to work with a professional photographer, etc. For beginners, in most cases there is no such knowledge and the result is not the one that expected. Here are some questions you should ask before choosing a photo shoot:
What is the price and what will it include? Do they do hair and makeup? How many images are included in the price? Are printed photos or a CD delivered? What is the difference in prices for color or black and white and is it possible to do both?
Will I be led or will I pose on my own? For the first time, look for a professional photographer to help you look better while guiding your actions. Because it’s very difficult to immediately understand how you look best in the frame or portray the right emotions without practice.
How long will the photo session last? Find out how much time the photographer gives you. Then there is no need to worry if something does not work out, because you will know how much time is left.
And finally, will it be possible to make additional copies? And what will it cost you ..
Photographer's career: where to start
- Buying an entry-level or mid-range SLR camera (depending on your capabilities). Read here which camera to choose for a beginner photographer. How to choose a SLR camera - here.
- Direction selection. The most promising area (in terms of finance) today is wedding photography, as well as family and children's photography. However, this does not mean that you should limit yourself only to these limits. Perhaps your vocation is shooting fashionable lookbooks or a position in the photo department of a well-known glossy magazine. Or vice versa, news and reportage photography. Listen to yourself and your desires in which particular genre of photography you would like to work and reveal your talent.
- Portfolio Creation. In order to get an internship with a professional photographer, or just start your own group (public) on social networks to attract the first customers, you need to have some own work in stock. You can wait for inspiration for years, or you can take it and start shooting today. Inspiration can be sought in the work of other photographers, but simply copying other people's ideas and work is not professional. Search and develop your style.
- Search for an internship or job. Decided on the direction and prepared a portfolio? It's time to look for an interesting internship or job for beginner photographers. You can start the search with special sites like hh.ru, job.ru and rabota.ru. Typically, these positions are called “Assistant Photographer” or “Assistant Photographer”. Do not expect much from such work, sometimes photography itself in such a position is very small, but you need experience to move on. As for the internship, usually they almost ask for it. Famous photographers (even in small cities), glossy magazines, photo studios and even online stores often need photographic assistants. Feel free to contact your resume and portfolio directly and via email with a business proposal. And remember, water does not flow under a lying stone, but for demand - they don’t beat in the nose.
Real great photographers were once assistants to other great photographers and that is how they learned the profession. A photographer's assistant is a person who carries a tripod and gains invaluable experience from a great master right in the process of work. Previously, professional photographers took only boys and students of specialized universities as assistants. Previously, in general, the profession of a photographer was considered exclusively male. Now the gurus of photography are also happy to hire young smart girls and pass on their knowledge to them.