The ancient art of dreaming was told to the world in the second half of the 20th century. Carlos Castaneda.
His amazing books present a unique experience of teaching magic and changing the state of consciousness. Castaneda claims that he took over the experience of a Mexican Yaki Sorcerer Don Juan for many years.
The theme of sleep is dedicated to his separate book "Dream art". In general, this practice is an important milestone in the spiritual path, which is why the idea of dreaming is a red thread in all the texts of the author.
Dream Technique for Beginners
Brief instructions on how to get into a lucid dream in one night, is aimed at the internal control of virtual reality and involves a whole set of rules. We list the most important points:
- Closely examine your arms and legs in detail, if this is not possible, then you are sleeping,
- Try to re-read the same text twice - in reality it will not change, but in a dream the text will change,
- Try to name yourself by name, surname and patronymic out loud, in a dream this rarely happens.
Scroll mentally the order of your movements: how you entered this room, what you did before, in reality it is not difficult to do, but in a dream the order of actions will not be so easy to establish.
If you understand that everything that surrounds you is a dream, then some simple trick will help you wake up quickly. You need to lie on the floor, wherever you are. The proof that you have tracked that you are in a lucid dream will be that you instantly wake up after you lie down on the floor in a dream!
How to track the moment of falling asleep
This will require a fairly long period of practice, since healthy people first turn off consciousness, and only then sleep paralysis occurs. Therefore, it is best to track the moment of falling asleep already after you once fell asleep, and then - woke up.
This state of drowsiness and half-wakefulness must be remembered and recorded in your memory. Each time it will be easier and easier for you to enter your dream and track the moment you fall asleep.
Another trick is to put the clock next to you and watch how the time changes at the moment when you either fall asleep or wake up. Think over the behavior in the situation that repeats in your dream. For example, if you want to get rid of a nightmare, then even before falling asleep, work out a scenario of events in which you are the winner.
Lucid dreams how to learn
Be sure to master holotropic breathing when a person breathes rarely and not deeply. This exercise alone helps to plunge into a lucid dream, and if at the same time you still learn to focus your gaze into the distance, the question is, how to get into a lucid dream in one nightwill quickly find a solution.
It is most often possible to fall into a lucid dream if you fall asleep while lying on your back. It is in this position that the body relaxes as much as possible, and consciousness turns off almost simultaneously with the body, which helps to better track the moment of falling asleep.
Even before falling asleep, think over your actions in a different reality, for example, like this: I have to turn on the light and if the switch turns out to be faulty, be sure to call the master. Put somewhere near you a sheet of paper where the telephone will be written, as well as the name and surname of the master. If in a dream you try to turn on the light and nothing comes of it, then you will begin to search for this sheet of paper with a saving record. If the note is not in the right place or the inscription on it turns out to be blurred - you will instantly realize that this is a dream!
You can independently model your behavior during wakefulness, as you will do in a particular situation, finding yourself in a dream. This will be difficult at first, but the more you practice, the easier it is to achieve what you want.
How to learn to control dreams
In reality, write on paper those images, sensations, characters and objects that most often come to you in dreams. Think about what to do in a given situation, mentally change the storyline of those incidents that usually scared you in a dream. For example, if you fall in virtual reality, then accustom yourself to the idea that you can just fly and change the flight path as you wish.
Psychoanalysts argue that regular practice will achieve brilliant results not only in the field of controlled dreams, but also in everyday life. People learn to part with their phobias and fears more easily, make decisions faster in difficult situations, and show greater flexibility in solving some everyday problems.
How to get into a lucid dream
Doctor of Philosophy, somnologist Patricia Garfield and psychophysiologist Stephen LaBerge have never been involved in esoterics, their approach to the study of dreams was strictly scientific. Nevertheless, these people have learned for themselves and successfully teach others how to see lucid dreams!
There are times when a person who wants to see them and who knows how to enter this state enters a lucid dream the first time! Perhaps such people are more suggestible than others. Or better concentrate. No one has yet explored a specific group of people who are capable of lucid sleep without preparation - it cannot be said what exactly distinguishes them from others.
The simplest technique for beginners - it was practiced by Stephen LaBerge himself - allows you to maintain awareness when you fall asleep, and is especially suitable for those who fall into sleep instantly, literally “failing”, and if anything remembers from what they saw, then hypnagogic images before turning off consciousness: a mix of muddy figures and snatches of slurred voices. LaBerge advises focusing on the account with the addition of the words "I am sleeping" (or any other). Without being distracted, go to sleep and consider: “Once - I sleep”, “Two - I sleep ...”. As a result, Steve reports, you will realize that you are already asleep, but at the same time the "inner" part of consciousness is awake! Someone mutters: "one hundred fifty seven - I am sleeping"? If “I sleep” does not suit, you can basically repeat anything, even “I am here”, even “I am the king of earthly kings Assargadon” - the essence will not change: the main thing is that you will fall asleep, but remain conscious.
There is another technique for entering into a lucid dream, which begins in reality - you need to be puzzled by asking yourself as often as possible: “Is this a dream or reality?” (“Am I sleeping or not?”). It is in a state of wakefulness, during any activity or rest, ask yourself this question as often as possible! And do this not mechanically, but each time honestly answering yourself: “This is a reality because ...” (“gravity acts on me”, “I know what is written on the poster behind me,” “in the next room dad sits “It's definitely dad, not Jabba the Hutt.”) The technique is based on the fact that in dreams we most often act - at least at first - in the same way as in reality. As during wakefulness, we do not ask ourselves in a dream the question of how to sink to the bottom of the sea without a spacesuit - out of habit, this seems to us impossible. As in reality, we go down the stairs, although we could have jumped out the window from the tenth floor. So: constantly asking ourselves whether we are sleeping or not, in reality, sooner or later we will do it in a dream! Steve LaBerge claims this is bound to happen!
Briefly about the practice of lucid dreams: what needs to be done to learn to see them, remember and work with them in the video:
How to realize yourself in a dream
How to learn to be aware of yourself in the world of dreams, if in a dream it seems to you that you are sleeping? Actually, you have already realized, but you need to "establish yourself" in this knowledge, to understand that the "director" of this dream is you. There are many ways to prove to yourself that you are really sleeping, and all of them are based on the correlation of sleep and reality. You know that everything is possible in a dream, and reality is limited by physical and other boundaries? Try in a dream to make sure that these frames do not. If they really do not exist and reality changes - this is a dream. In reality, the inscription on the wall does not blur and does not change the meaning, does not skip time on the clock, and in the mirrors you see yourself, and not someone completely unlike you.
Evaluate the environment and try to ask yourself a question that in reality can only be answered in a certain way. And then try to take actions that are consistent with the answer. "How to make this dog bald?" - "We must take the scissors and cut it." So do it! And look what will happen. Well, in any case, not like in reality. Scissors will not be in place in the drawer of the table, as there is no table. There are scissors, but they have four rings and four ends. And so on.
Lucid Dream: Techniques
Practices of lucid dreams exist in a multitude - both among different nations, and among individual prominent figures. Not all of them are equally useful, especially for beginners. Yogis certainly know how to do this, but if you do not practice yoga, their technique will not help you. The American Indians have their own point of view on this subject - but until you are called Sika Deer or the Star Seen From the Bottom of the Canyon, you are unlikely to be able to penetrate deeply into their ways. According to Patricia Garfield, a whole tribe lives in Malaysia - the Senoy people - living literally according to the principles of accounting for all their dreams. There, even small children who have just learned to speak are able to answer the first morning question of the head of the family: “What did you see in a dream?” But we don’t live according to the instructions of our dreams.
As for the individual representatives of the human race, who know how to enter a lucid dream, one should treat each of them as soberly as possible. They are divided into three types:
- Advocates of the scientific approach (LaBerge, Garfield). In any case, worthy of trust.
- Gurus of various spiritual practices (these are citizens like the late Osho - Buddhists, okolobuddists, Hindus, quasi-Hindus, Hare Krishnas, Jains - thousands of them). If you are really passionate about the religious component of all this and are absolutely sure that you intend to continue in the same spirit - there, when you reach a certain level, they will tell you how to learn lucid dreams. Unless, of course, the guru is really interested in your spiritual development. Steve LaBerge noted that the practice of lucid dreaming from Bhagwan of Sri Rajneesh seems to be intended only for the Enlightened - for ordinary people it is incomprehensible and unrealizable ... In fact, the practice of B. Sri Rajneesh is suitable only for one person. His name is Osho.
- Esoterics (the public is motley, often frankly charlatan). These ones can be really dangerous just because they climb into other people's brains with unwashed hands. It may end with the fact that you realize yourself not in a dream, but in a madhouse.
Do not succumb to persuasion to know lucid dreams with the help of any interesting substances, if you do not dream of drug addiction or insanity. Such extremes are not needed! As already mentioned, lucid sleep practices are available to anyone!
Something about the preparatory phase
Here's where Garfield and LaBerge agree on OS practices (what needs to be done to see them):
- clearly state what you want to see (very specifically! Not “I would like to meet this wonderful actor ...”, but “In a dream I will invite Ivan Reon to dance”),
- internally accept this very opportunity - to bring about the right dream, do not doubt that you will succeed, believe in it,
- constantly concentrate on the desired dream. Imagine the desired situation, think it over, clearly imagine the situation, the appearance of the person / people you want to see, think up questions for them - all according to the situation. If you need not to meet with Reon, but to go to sea with Columbus, take a tight look at Columbus and his campaign. If you want to solve a creative problem, imagine all possible, even the most delusional, options for solving it.
An excellent, working and, most importantly, simple and understandable practice, brought out by Patricia Garfield from the experience of antiquity. The fact is that the ancient Greeks and Romans (probably the Egyptians and the Sumerians, but we know less about them) knew very well how to cause a lucid dream and did it regularly!
Garfield cites the example of the Greeks who came to the temple of Asclepius, the god of healing, in order to heal from the disease or find out a way to treat it. It was a whole journey - more spiritual than physical (although the second too — many traveled from far away, and this only helped to tune in to the indispensable “response of the deity” - a lucid dream).
How to see lucid dreams in a Greco-Roman way?
- Find a place where no one will disturb you (among the ancients it was a temple, sometimes a special place in the temple).
- Clearly state - with a clear, concise phrase - your intention. "I will see in a dream ...".
- Relax completely.
- Visualize what you want to see as clearly as possible.
- Believe that you see what you want.
- Work with what you see: ask questions! Remember that in a dream they can be asked not only to someone, but also to something. “Why are you showing me this?”
- Pay particular attention to those images that have a positive effect on you.
- Waking up, write down what you saw and heard, preferably in the present tense.
- Find other people interested, discuss dreams with them, give them a certain role in your life - and the subconscious mind will certainly respond, begin to interact with you.
Patricia advises against quitting the practice, even if at first it seems unsuccessful. Time, patience - and everything will work out.
How to get out of a lucid dream
There are several options:
- the dream will interrupt spontaneously (something from outside will wake you),
- you will enter the phase of slow sleep - that is, you will fall asleep more deeply and the OS will "fade away" by itself,
- if you want to wake up, being in the OS, you can do it of your own free will. It is very likely that you will find your own, personal way to interrupt the OS (all practices are somehow implemented through the prism of each particular person, you will not have the same as LaBerge). But there is also a method mentioned by several practitioners at once to get out of a lucid dream: make some sudden movement, which can be ridiculous, not appropriate for the situation. Relatively speaking, if you are talking with someone on top of a tower and decide to wake up, jump from it.
Lucid dreams are a very interesting practice of self-knowledge. Steve LaBerge sincerely believes that she has a great future - because she helps people realize their creative potential. Patricia Garfield also wrote a lot about the creative component of the practice. If you have a desire to try, nothing prevents you from doing this. What are you losing.
What is lucid dream? What is it for?
Castaneda says that dream the ancient Toltecs practiced - a wise Native American tribe living in the territory of modern Mexico several centuries before the advent of our era.
In the memory of descendants, these mysterious people remained as the greatest sages of their time, who were able to know the innermost secrets of the universe. It was on the basis of this ancient knowledge that the training of Castaneda by the mysterious Don Juan was built.
Ask yourself: “What do I want cause a lucid dream? ”If you pay attention, you will see that this term consists of two words: "Awareness" and "dream". Awareness is the constant monitoring of your thoughts and attention to your state of "here" and "now."
How is the canvas of sleep different from real events? Isn't everything mine stay in a dream and in reality part of something single? Having stepped on the path of knowing oneself and the surrounding reality, a person begins to think about the nature of sleep and approaches the magical concept of dreaming.
In the Toltec tradition, a dream is not just a mosaic of events and a series of images during rest - it way to know the universe and travels to other worlds. Here we come to the following basic concepts.
- Energy - The main driving force in the universe. No energy - no life. Dream practice will require you a large amount of vitality. Familiarize yourself with energy conservation techniques in your body.
- Intention - this the bright power of your desireset before you as an unbending goal. Having directed all your strength to achieve this goal, you can get a tangible result.
- Attention - The most important quality that a practicing dreamer needs. To by intention you could hold and remember dream images, develop memory in real life. Useful anyway.
Dreamers from all over the world have managed to collect and fix a set of basic rules that will help even a novice quickly call their first lucid dream.
- Start saving your strength.
- When you accumulate energy, create powerful request-intention confess in a dream.
- Try to feel everything brightly border states: hunger, tiredness and drowsiness, the moment immediately after waking up.
- The most important is the moment of falling asleep. Record what is happening around you and try to consciously track how your consciousness is drowning. Give yourself the command to look at your hands in a dream.
If you do everything in the proper sequence, then a lucid dream will not keep you waiting.
How to cause a lucid dream the first time
Для самых нетерпеливых также отыщется несколько парочка техник.
Прерванный сон. Обычно осознанное сновидение случается или в момент засыпания, или ближе к моменту пробуждения. Чаще всего это происходит с 4 до 6 утра. Sleep in advance for 5-6 hours, and then wake up to the specified time period, take a cool shower or just wash yourself, drink coffee.
After that, lie on your right side and, falling asleep, imagine that you are already in a lucid dream.
Technique of persistent intention. Our thoughts are like waves and have their own energy frequencies. Try to convey to the Universe your desire for a conscious dream, all day expressing your intention to become aware. At the same time, try to induce a borderline state of sleep and wakefulness.
Feedback from practitioners
More and more people around are starting to strive. to spiritual life and going beyond ordinary perception. On the bookshelves appeared a mass of books detailing all kinds of experiences of new perception. This trend did not bypass Russia.
At the turn of the millennium, a unique group formed in our country called “Dream Hackers”. These people managed together step into the world of the unknown and provide the public with interesting facts and instructions. Those who wish can study this course in detail by discovering a book entitled The Ravenna Workshop.
Sleepy paralysis - an unsolved mystery
Sleep paralysis - mysterious state and unpleasant. The essence of this phenomenon is that a person wakes up and discovers that he cannot even lift a finger, but at the same time he can see, hear and acutely feel everything that is happening around him.
Typically, paralysis is accompanied by a vivid, memorable feeling of fear and a sense of presence in the immediate vicinity of otherworldly beings.
All this can manifest itself in different ways. Someone just hears rustlings and steps. Others see all kinds of entities and feel their frightening effect on themselves. Some people even find scary creatures sitting on their chest and pressing on their chest.
Scientists are trying to explain this frightening phenomenon with muscle weakness during a certain phase of sleep and bright hallucinations. But practitioners all over the world attribute sleep paralysis to the manifestation of an unknown and really existing fact.
Inquisitives may even find classification of various entitiesthat can visit a person during "paralysis" and deliberate withdrawal. All this information is freely available on the Internet.
How to induce a lucid dream without sleep paralysis
Many practitioners intentionally cause sleep paralysis in order to enter a lucid dream, and then gently leave the state of paralysis. To do this, calm down and give the brain the command to completely relax the body. After that, try to start moving your leg or arm. Very soon paralysis will recede.
The unpleasant consequences of sleep paralysis include enormous loss of energy and a feeling of weakness. Practitioners claim that otherworldly beingsfeeding on our fear, they pump life force out of our body.
All this can lead to a weakening of the immune system and, as a result, to the disease. Therefore, it is better to try to get out of this state as soon as possible.
How to distinguish lucid dream from reality
Many aspiring dreamers ask the same question with concern: “How to understandthat I really sleep? ”Even dreamers with a certain experience sometimes begin to confuse reality and dream. Most often, such a state of uncertainty occurs when a person is constantly practicing or is in a state of physical fatigue.
The most important thing - act calmly and start to carefully study the situation. The dream space is as close as possible in its external characteristics to the real interior, but to find certain differences will not be difficult if you follow the instructions.
- Look for the watch and look at the time. Remember this number. Look away and look at your watch again. If the meaning has changed, then you are still sleeping.
- Usually people practice lucid dreams at home. And who better than the master to know the decoration of his house? Take a closer lookwhether there are objects unfamiliar to you around. Have you found? Congratulations, you are dreaming!
- Find a book and try to read it. If the text starts constantly changeThe conclusion is obvious.
- Another interesting technique is to try to look at yourself in the mirror. Sometimes a mirror arises at the desire of a dreamer by itself from the air - this is an occasion to think. Usually, the reflection in a dream takes on bizarre outlines and is unfixed. Try to track and remember ongoing changes. Some are amused by contemplating two noses and an extra pair of hands.
- The same interesting transformations may begin to happen if you begin to contemplate your body intently. Try to fix your eyes on your hands. Surely, they will change.
- It is often quite dark in a dream. If you try to find the switch, then light can start to happen. strange metamorphosesuncharacteristic of real life.
- An essential feature - in a dream, you move from point A to point B instantly by thought. It would be really nice to avoid all these traffic jams and difficulties, is not it?
Dream Map and Dream Diary
The dreamers discovered that each of us has unexplored inner spaces of consciousness, which can conditionally be called a Personal City. Many people may dream during their lifetime recurring dreamscontaining the same locations and plots.
Using all their attention, experienced dreamers were able to discover that you can intentionally explore the area of your inner world and even make a map of locations and objects.
To better remember your dreamsit is recommended to keep a personal dream diary. Each dream is best recorded immediately after waking up, while the memory still captures all the important details of what was seen.
The practice of lucid dreaming is a unique unique experience that will help take a look at the world with different eyes and discover new facets of what is happening. Remember that a dream is not just entertainment and an attempt to diversify the world, but spiritual improvement, the ascent of the soul on the steps of knowledge. And the first question that you should ask yourself is “Who am I and what am I doing here?”