The revival of a sleeping princess is a wonderful story from a fairy tale. It turns out that such stories happen in the life of flower growers: they often have to return the beauty, freshness and attractiveness of rose seedlings that look dead.
It happens: you choose the most aristocratic, most luxurious flower on the Internet, - you order, pay, and in the end you receive by mail the lifelessly frozen princess. Dried roots, wrinkled bark, withered leaves, stems in brown spots - this is only a small fraction of the symptoms that can occur after shipment. Even more alarming is the situation when the seedlings sent in the frosty March already started to bud.
The causes of plant diseases are different. A buyer who wants to receive a seedling by mail in the spring should understand that the growing season has already begun: both the plant and the surrounding flora have left their dormant state - they are developing. Perhaps the rose survived the heavy transportation, its conditions were difficult, almost destructive for the seedlings of roses, which dried up and moldy during the journey.
However, the main thing is not who is to blame, but in the other: there are practical, effective ways to give life to a beautiful beauty. To ensure the health of seedlings, you should start with disease prevention. And as you know, prevention is based on close monitoring and inspection.
Useful articles about roses:
The reasons why the rose blackens after winter
One of the reasons why roses do not shoot after winter is improper care. With inappropriate actions in the fall, the flowers may even die. To properly care for the "garden beauty", you should carefully study the rules for keeping roses. If additional shelter was used to preserve the bushes, then the time of its removal plays a big role. This should be done only after the end of the frost, otherwise there is a risk of ruining the shoots. In summer, plants also need shelter. Without it, the bush will burn or may rot. We will figure out how to save your favorite roses after winter, if they are very black. But to begin with, we will analyze the common causes of plant death.
Known as black spotting. It makes itself felt in the summer, when heavy rainfall occurs. Dark spores form on the sheet. They grow and darken even more. Ill leaves become lethargic and acquire a brown tint.
In such a question, how to revive the roses, it matters when the gardener removed the shelter from them. The plant begins to wake up and dissolve the buds. Untimely awakening harms, because the soil is still under the snow. To extend the hibernation a little, good shelter is required. To restore balance, you can add snow to the root area. Thus, the "pet" does not feel the arrival of heat ahead of time.
If roses do not wake up after winter, the question arises: what to do? In April, when the snow begins to melt rapidly, it is necessary to remove the shelter. Around the plantations, it is better to make grooves to care for excess water. If the bushes wintered well, then you can loosen the soil. After that, it is better to water the bush and feed it with fertilizer. Do not quickly deprive the flower of a protective coating to avoid burns. It’s better to remove the film on a cloudy day so that the plant gets used to the sun gradually.
Other problems after wintering and how to deal with them
Sometimes, after the awakening of the rose, it is overcome by all kinds of ailments. To fight back disease, you need to know how to reanimate garden roses after winter.
- Cracks in the plant - for treatment, you can use a solution of potassium permanganate or copper sulfate. Also, damaged items can be rewound with plantain and secured with a band-aid. Damaged shoots are best removed.
Important! Water remaining on the leaves will become the focus of the disease. For this reason, leaves must be removed in the fall.
Summing up on the topic of how to revitalize garden roses at home, it can be noted that the main thing here is to remain calm and methodically carry out all the necessary events. Also read our article, “Roses in Garden Landscaping.”
What to do if on seedlings of a rose mold and traces of a defeat of bacteriosis
Mold is a fungus that develops in conditions of high humidity, stuffiness and heat. It is localized more often on the roots, manifests itself as blue-white spotting and rot. How to deal with it? What fungicide to use - iron sulfate, Bordeaux mixture, home?
The best option for mold control on rose seedlings is a solution of potassium permanganate. The remaining funds can be used according to the circumstances.
- When the buds have blossomed on the seedling, sulfate salts should be discarded: for delicate tissues, vitriol is too toxic. In severe cases, the root system is treated with these substances.
- Hom - on the contrary, with closed kidneys it is completely useless.
- But a solution of potassium permanganate saturated to redness will burn the surface mycelium of mold fungi, but the pecking kidneys will remain unharmed.
Before treatment, all affected areas should be cut: the roots - up to thick, and the stem - up to one or two buds. Work with all chemicals should be carried out with protective gloves.
What to do if parasites in the soil
With a thorough examination in an earthen coma, you can sometimes see cyst-forming nematodes. These are round parasite worms of a microscopic size - up to 1 mm in length. The biological species is very tenacious: different species can affect roots, stems or leaves. To get rid of annelids, you will have to replace the earth. Nematofagin BT is added to the new soil. This is a liquid whose active substance contains the mycelium Arthrobotris oligospora - a natural enemy of nematodes.
The affected plant is thoroughly washed under warm water, heated to a temperature of 50 C. Open roots are carefully examined. If thickening - galls are found on the petioles, these roots are cut off. Then the roses are planted in the ground treated with a nematicidal agent.
An alternative to Nematofagin can be any antihelminthic medicine for animals: worms are the second name for nematodes.
Two more ailments to which the stems of roses are subject:
- Agrobacterium, a type of bacterial root cancer. The disease is manifested by growths on the roots. The affected area first looks like a tuberous seal, then - like a lignified tuber. Treatment: roots with growths should be trimmed, the remaining underground part of the plant must be treated with a solution of copper sulfate in a concentration of 3% (processing time - 5 minutes). The stem must be disinfected with a 3% zinc sulfate solution.
- Cancer Stems, Pseudomonas. Symptoms of the disease: reddish spots on the stem, compacted, as it were, depressed structure. Treatment. In the presence of small spots, the shoot bark is cut with a sharp knife, and the wound is covered with a tetracycline emulsion. With extensive damage, the affected areas are removed by secateurs. The rest of the plants are sprayed with 5% copper sulfate. As a prophylaxis, the stem is treated monthly with 3% zinc sulfate.
At the end of the treatment, in both cases the plant residues are burned, and the tool is wiped with medical alcohol.
How to save dried rose seedlings
If the seedling looks dehydrated, it is still alive. Even that branch, whose wood has changed color from white to gray-brown, keeps sleeping buds at the very root neck. If the skin of the stem is green, the thorns are pinkish, and the buds are simply dried out, this plant is still quite viable. For their resuscitation there are effective, albeit harsh in relation to the plant, methods.
Rose treatment with nutritious mixtures (gentle)
- First of all, the bush should be bathed well - for a day or two, place the rose seedling in a container of water. It is better to take snow instead of chlorinated tap water. It is useful to add honey - a tablespoon to a bucket in the container.
- After 24-48 hours, the rose is placed in the “intensive care unit”. As a supporting substrate for the initial planting, you should prepare the soil mixture: horse (brown) peat - 1 part by weight, hardwood - 2 parts by weight or purchased soil for growing roses.
- The components are mixed and diluted with water to a creamy state. To enhance the effective ability, an Epin or Energen tablet is added to the solution. Kornevin will do as well.
- Cut the upper part of rose seedlings as much as possible: leave two or even one bud. The roots are cut off gradually - literally 1 cm remove the most hopeless part to gently get to living tissue.
- Plants are “planted” in a creamy nutrient substrate. The healing process is monitored daily, if necessary, replenish the nutrient mixture in the tank.
- Finally, healing should occur within a calendar month, although in fact the seedling begins to show signs of life much earlier. With a favorable outcome, the rose is sent for rehabilitation - planted in a pot, which is placed on the window.
Intensive care for seedlings
This method of resuscitation of roses is similar to the previous one. The plant is also removed from the dried parts of the stem and root, and then soaked in a life-giving bath.
- For an intensive treatment course, a mixture with biostimulants is taken as a filler for the bath. A heteroauxin tablet, Epin pack or peat oxidate will do. Water procedures are carried out in complete shade - ultraviolet weakens the effect of drugs.
- Good results are obtained when the seedlings are placed in a substance of 10 liters of water, 15 g of urea, 15 g of superphosphate and a couple of drops of Heteroauxin or Kornevin.
After the end of water procedures (after 24 hours), the rose is planted in a pot and placed in a warm bright place. If weather permits, the seedling is determined for permanent residence in the garden. The sprout is covered with an inverted 5-liter baklaga with a cut neck. The soil around is regularly watered and loosened. Spend foliar top dressing with Epin, Kornevin is introduced into the ground, observing the manufacturer's recommendations.
In all water operations, measures must be taken to prevent tissue rot. It was found that the best method to prevent decay is aeration of solutions, for which you can use a conventional aquarium compressor. If an aquarium device is not available, you should at least systematically mix the solution.
Shock therapy - for roses that look hopeless
Suppose you double-checked the validity of all the recommendations, and the rose stubbornly refuses to show signs of life. There remains one more method - it looks like a Russian bathhouse or a Finnish sauna.
After the 1-2-day soaking procedure with Energene or Kornevin is completed, the container with seedlings is placed in a bathtub, covered with a thick cloth or an old baby blanket and doused with water heated to a temperature of 70-80 ° C. Quickly put plastic on top of the container to keep warm. package. After a couple of hours, the procedure is repeated. The bathing cycle lasts 2-3 days, and then the plant is planted in a mini-greenhouse under a jar.
Shock therapy is a last resort. If its effectiveness is at zero, you can try the local effect with potent agents.
The dried stalk is wiped along the entire length with concentrated Epin. A compress of tissue moistened with Epin is applied to the root neck, this place is covered with cellophane on top, and tied.
According to experienced gardeners, the method is effective and very reliable. But, at the same time, this is the last way of resuscitation.
What to do if the buds of the seedlings come to life and sprouted
Seedlings begin to grow (wake up) when the parcel with roses has been in a warm post warehouse for a long time. If this happened, both the plant and the owner are stressed: the buds are growing, and the root system is still sleeping. Without enough nutrients, a plant can die. The way out depends on the size of the growth.
If the buds just hatch and swell up to 1 cm in length, the seedlings are put on a joke - they dig in the garden. This method is effective when the earth is still covered in snow. In a snowdrift, dig a deep hole and place a container and an ordinary bag in which roses are wrapped. From above, the bookmark is mulched with earth, covered with a protective cloth, such as spanbond, and sprinkled with snow. In this state, roses are stored until the snow melts.
By the time the parcel is received by the addressee, the sprouts can stretch by 1.5 cm. Such seedlings should simply be placed in the refrigerator. In order to inhibit growth as much as possible, the roots of the plant are moistened, covered with peat. Roses are placed in a paper bag, which is lightly sprayed from the spray bottle, and placed vertically in the refrigerator. In this position, the shoots, even if they sprout slightly, will retain their natural shape. If you put the seedling, then the lateral bud, which turned out to be the top, will give a larger increase.
It is advisable to lower the temperature in the refrigerator from 5 ° C to 2 ° C. Thus, it will be possible to partially limit germination. However, it is hardly possible to completely stop the process in this way, therefore we recommend using this method only if you need to keep the seedling in the refrigerator for a very short time.
When the buds on the shoots unfold and reach 2 cm, rose seedlings are planted in a pot and put in a bright place. Greenhouse conditions are created for the plant - they cover it with a plastic bag or a jar. The soil and air are regularly moistened, but they try to prevent excessive wetting of the roots and stems. Under such conditions, the rose begins to grow and by the time of planting in the soil can reach significant sizes.