All iLive content is reviewed by medical experts to ensure the highest possible accuracy and consistency with the facts.
We have strict rules for choosing sources of information and we only refer to reputable sites, academic research institutes and, if possible, proven medical research. Please note that the numbers in brackets (,, etc.) are interactive links to such studies.
If you think that any of our materials is inaccurate, outdated or otherwise questionable, select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Proper facial skin care begins with its obligatory cleansing. Today in cosmetic stores you can find all kinds of products that help cleanse the skin and cope with many problems. But even ultramodern gels and lotions wash away not only dust and dirt from the skin, but also the lipid layer with natural moisture and fat. They are necessary so that the face remains tender and without irritation.
Today, facial cleansing with oils has become a popular procedure that can be carried out both in the salon and at home. Thanks to this cleaning method, it is possible to effectively deal with various kinds of contaminants without drying the skin.
If you dream of beautiful and supple skin, a natural complexion, you want to get rid of acne, acne, redness and other unpleasant problems forever, then cleansing your face with oils is exactly what you need. You need to understand that not all oils are suitable for every girl. You should choose a tool for your skin type. In addition, some oils (especially essential oils) help get rid of problem skin, even in adolescence. A variety of oils can also be used to treat herpes, acne, acne, dermatitis, or burns on the skin of the face.
First of all, it is necessary to choose the right composition of oils for cleaning the face. Castor today is considered the most versatile and popular tool for the care of any skin type. In this case, you can use it alone or in combination with other oils. To prepare an individual mixture you can use:
- Oily and acne-prone skin feels great after cleaning with jojoba oil, almond or linseed oil.
- For aging and sluggish skin, you should use apricot kernel oil, avocado, argan or peach oil.
- For owners of dry skin, it is better to pay attention to grape seed oil, wheat germ, cocoa or walnut.
- But for the combined type, corn or sesame oil is perfect.
If you have already selected the optimal oil mixture for yourself, you can proceed with the cleansing procedure. The preparatory stage is the steaming of the skin and light heating of the oil.
Advantages and disadvantages
Many people are distrustful of oil cleansing of their skin.
Especially often skeptical reviews can be heard from owners of problematic and oily skin. But it is worthwhile to understand that facial cleansing with oils has many advantages:
- First of all, such tools are universal. They are suitable for almost any type of skin, even for those prone to acne.
- Oil cleansing is great for off-season facial care and the cold season. It helps to save the skin from the negative effects of cold, frequent changes in temperature and frost.
- This procedure is multifunctional. It helps to thoroughly remove makeup, deeply cleanse the skin and moisturize it. After applying the oils, many do not even use moisturizers.
- This method is safe and completely natural. Thanks to him, the protective lipid layer of the epidermis is not destroyed.
- Facial cleansing oils are available - they can be purchased at any cosmetic store or pharmacy.
Of course, this method also has disadvantages:
- The skin adapts for a long time to cleaning with oils. In order for the skin to completely get used to this procedure, it will take at least 10 days.
- This process is more laborious and lengthy than washing with a regular gel.
- It is necessary to buy towels and special napkins more often, as they deteriorate faster due to oil.
- The main step is to pour a small amount of oil at room temperature on your palm. With soft and light movements rub into the skin of the face. Please note that this massage should last no more than two minutes. Leave the oil mixture on your face for another half minute.
- The final step - soak a flannel napkin or towel in hot water (up to 38 degrees). Use it to remove excess oil from the skin. When the cloth cools down, dip it again in water. Continue the procedure until oil remains on the skin.
Castor Oil Face Cleansing
Due to its special composition, castor oil is considered one of the most effective means for cleansing the skin of the face. It can be applied quickly and without problems, it is well absorbed, helps moisturize, soften, cleanse, whiten, soothe, smooth the skin and remove fine wrinkles. After the first month of use, you can see the effectiveness of castor oil.
In addition, the remedy actively fights warts, scars, moles and other defects. It is suitable for any type of skin, but is usually used for dry and flaky skin. If you are the owner of oily skin, it is better to apply castor oil in a small amount to avoid greasy pores.
Castor oil is used to cleanse your face from freckles, age spots, blackheads. To whiten the skin, you need to mix it with other oils (sea buckthorn, grape seed, wheat germ, rosehip). The resulting mixture can be applied to the face up to three times a day for 15 minutes, and then washed off. Use a week. Perform this procedure at least once every two months. After the first 7 days, you will see that the skin has become noticeably cleaner and more beautiful, has acquired an even tone.
To eliminate or make less noticeable freckles, it is necessary to make a special mask based on castor oil. To do this, take one teaspoon of oil, chopped cucumber, lemon juice (can be replaced with sea buckthorn oil). To make the mask thicker, you can add a little honey there. Apply to skin for 15 minutes and then rinse. Use also week.
To clear acne, you can prepare this mixture: 1 teaspoon of castor oil mixed with 1 teaspoon of calendula tincture, a crushed tablet of aspirin and egg white. Apply the mixture to the skin in layers. Each new to slightly dried old. After 10 minutes rinse with warm water.
Castor oil is an excellent way to look after aging skin. This can be explained by the fact that it can penetrate into the deepest layers of the epidermis and stimulate the production of elastin and collagen fibers there.
Face Cleansing Essential Oils
Along with natural oils, skin cleansers can also be supplemented with essential oils. They will help to enhance the effectiveness and properties of such a wash, as well as give the skin a pleasant aroma. Essential oils for face cleansing are selected in accordance with the type of skin.
If you have normal skin, it is best to use essential oils of bergamot, orange, lemon. They should be added no more than 1 drop per 15 ml of base (other oils).
To moisturize too dry skin, you can make masks based on essential oils of neroli or roses. It is also worth adding one drop per 15 ml of base.
Oily skin, prone to acne and blackheads, especially needs proper cleansing. To achieve an effective result, it is recommended to use, along with natural oils, essential oils - rosemary, lavender, tea tree.
Essential oils of sandalwood, geranium, patchouli and palmarosa will help make the aging skin of your face more elastic.
But incense, fennel, myrrh and pine help rejuvenate.
When using essential oils to clean your skin, you must be extremely careful. They can be applied only in combination with the basic foundation. Only lavender and tea tree oils are used in their pure form pointwise to problem areas.
Face Cleansing with Olive Oil
Olive oil is a natural source of nutrients for the skin. This product is considered unique, as it contains a huge amount of moisturizing ingredients. For cosmetic purposes, only extra virgin olive oil is used.
Cleaning the skin with olive oil is carried out using the classical method. First you need to apply a small amount of the product on a slightly wet and warm cotton pad. Gently massage the disc across the entire face. Thus, you can quickly get rid of makeup and dirt. Do not be afraid to apply olive oil to oily skin, as it never leads to irritation or acne.
Face oil cleaning at home
So, you decided to use face cleansing oil, but do not want to spend your time hiking in a beauty salon. This procedure can be carried out without problems at home, but you need to know exactly what type of skin you have. In accordance with it, the optimal cleaning agent is selected. So, for example, if you have dry skin, it is better to add a small amount of castor oil to the mixture.
Mix and store the product in a clean container, which has a convenient lid. Before re-filling it with a mixture, it is necessary to rinse thoroughly with laundry soap. Do not abuse facial cleansing oils. Such procedures are best done no more than once every one and a half to two months.
As such, there are no contraindications to the use of facial cleansing with oils. Thanks to only natural components, they do not irritate the skin, do not lead to redness or allergies. In addition, after the first procedure, you can notice a positive result. The skin becomes soft, tender, sufficiently moisturized, excess fat, dirt, dust is eliminated and acne problems go away. But cosmetologists warn that it is worth carefully selecting the oil for your individual type of skin. It is also not recommended to use such funds for individual intolerance to oil components.
If everything is done correctly, then after the first procedures you can notice an improvement in complexion, remove problems in the form of acne or blackheads, whiten freckles or age spots. After oil, the skin becomes more elastic, moisturized, cleansed, soft and beautiful.
Sometimes after cleansing your face with oils, you may feel that your skin has become tight. In this case, you can once again apply a little oil mixture on a slightly damp face and pat your hands. Wait until the product has completely absorbed, and then remove the excess.
If this does not help, you can use any moisturizer that suits your skin type. But usually, additional care after such procedures is not necessary.
Sugar as an exfoliator for the face.
In case of minor damage to the skin of the face (scratches, cuts, irritation), it is recommended to wait a bit using sugar scrubs.
Benefits of sugar facial scrub.
To prepare a cosmetic product using brown sugar, you can take various ingredients. Everyone chooses their composition, depending on the condition of the skin.
As for the product itself, only for use on the skin brown cane sugarwhich contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
Regular white sugar is a refined product, there are no useful substances in it.
People with too sensitive skin are advised to add oatmeal to powdered sugar.
Sugar scrub with egg yolk - Recipe 1
- Take an egg yolk and a tablespoon of cane sugar. If the yolk is too thick and difficult to mix with sugar, a small amount of milk can be added.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Top with a thin layer of powdered sugar.
- Massage the face with your fingertips until all the sugar has completely dissolved.
- If necessary, you can wet your hands with warm water.
- Rinse your face with cool water.
This type of scrub is perfect for all skin types - for dry and oily, young and aging.
Sugar Scrub with Egg White - Recipe 2
- Separate the protein from the yolk and beat it until bubbles appear.
- Cleanse your skin well.
- Apply a layer of egg mixture.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of powdered sugar on top of your face.
- Massage the face with your fingertips until all the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Rinse your face with water.
This type of mask is more suitable for people. with oily skin.
Sugar Scrub with Yogurt - Recipe 3
- Take a small amount of natural sugar-free yogurt.
- Apply a layer of yogurt to washed face skin.
- Apply a thin layer of icing sugar on top.
- Massage your face until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Wash yourself well.
This scrub is ideal for dry, sensitive and aging skin.
Recipe 4 - Sugar Scrub with Liquid Soap
For this recipe does not need any additional basis for preliminary application to the face. All you need is to take brown sugar and grind it in a coffee grinder or in a food processor to a state of fine powder.
- Prepare a tablespoon of brown powdered sugar.
- Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap.
- Wet and thoroughly cleanse your skin with liquid soap or a special cleanser for daily use.
- Take some sugar powder with wet fingers.
- Apply sugar to the entire surface of the face, with the exception of the eye area.
- Massage your skin thoroughly for several minutes until sugar disappears.
- Wash and dry your face with a soft cloth, refresh your skin with cool water.
Recipe 5 - Sugar Scrub with Olive Oil
If you have dry skin and you don’t know which remedy is better to use to achieve good results? In this case, a home-looking exfoliating facial cleanser is a scrub with brown sugar and olive oil. For dry skin, the oil will be just the topic, moisturize and soften the skin for a better peeling effect (exfoliation of old cells).
For owners of oily skin, you can add a little lemon juice to this mixture.
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
Grind brown sugar in a coffee grinder for 5-7 seconds. Sugar grains should be small enough so as not to damage the delicate skin of the face.
Add olive oil until sugar absorbs it and the mixture combines.
Apply mass on the face with gentle circular motions. Leave the scrub on the skin for 10-15 minutes.
After that, rinse the mixture with warm water and wipe your face with a towel or go with a napkin. Your skin will be soft and pleasant to the touch. A certain amount of oil will remain on the face. Do not worry, it will be absorbed very soon and it will not be noticeable.
Such a sugar facial scrub with exfoliating effect is very easy to prepare at home. It can be used several times. Store at room temperature in a cool, dark place for no more than 3-5 days.
Skin Cleansing Oil: How Does It Work?
Cleansing the skin with oil - still this way of facial care often causes skepticism and mistrust. And in fact, personal feelings tell us that we will not cleanse the skin that way, but rather, clog the skin with droplets of fatty oil. But personal feelings are not always true. Do not be afraid to apply oil on the skin of the face. It alone will not cause acne. Acne, acne, comedones, acne are formed as a result of many different factors: hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells, as well as a combination of these factors. Our skin itself produces fat, because it needs it. It is inherent in nature. Fat lubricates the skin, protects, moisturizes it so that it can look beautiful, clean and radiant.
What oils can be used to cleanse? Do not run to the fridge for sunflower? Good fit:
- jojoba oil, it is suitable for all skin types, and especially desirable for skin prone to acne,
- sweet almond oil, suitable for all skin types, especially oily,
- grape seed oil, suitable for all skin types, especially oily,
- avocado oil, for dry and aging skin,
- sunflower seed oil, for all skin types,
- olive oil, for all skin types,
- apricot kernel oil, for dry, aging skin, as well as for normal skin,
- Argan oil, for all skin types, especially for fading.
However, the base oils for cleansing are considered to be extra virgin olive oil (used for moisturizing), and castor oil for cleansing. Castor oil is thick, dense, penetrates into the pores and draws out stubborn dirt from there. Olive oil contains a lot of antioxidants, and castor oil is great for cleansing and healing.
How to cleanse your skin with oil
Вот программа, следовать которой можно каждый день, используется смесь касторового и оливкового масел:
- по массажным линиям нанесите небольшое количество смеси на лицо и шею, помассируйте лицо и шею,
- take a cotton cloth, preferably terry or flannel - for example, a towel, moisten with hot water, wring it and put it on your face to warm your face and open the pores that need to be cleaned,
- when the towel starts to cool, remove the oil with gentle movements - so you remove the dead cells,
- rinse the fabric in hot water and remove any residual oil and dirt from your face - you will have to repeat this two to three times to remove all the dirt and remaining oil, but after that your skin will surely shine,
- spray your face with cold water to tighten pores,
- if you feel tight, put a moisturizer on your palm, rub between your palms and gently hammer into wet skin.
A few recipes for other castor oil based mixtures:
- for oily skin: 2 tsp castor oil and 1 tsp. additional oil (e.g. jojoba, almond, grape, olive),
- for normal: 1.5 tsp. castor and 1.5 tsp. apricot kernel oil
- for dry skin: 1 tsp castor and 2. tsp extra oil, such as avocado.
Cleanse your skin with oil at the frequency that your senses tell you. It can be every day, or maybe 2-3 times a week.
Cleansing the skin with oil - advantages and disadvantages
How good is this cleansing?
- It is suitable for all types of skin, oil cleansing is suitable for skin with acne, the skin gets rid of dryness and acquires radiance and shine.
- In addition to cleansing the skin, a mixture of oils can be used to remove makeup.
- With this cleansing, we do not deprive our skin of its own protective layer.
What inconvenience does skin cleansing with oil bring us?
- The skin does not immediately get used to such a procedure.
- The time for cleansing will take a little longer.
- Towels will change more often, since oil does not contribute to their long life.