Golf care professionals know how to make their life as easy as possible with the right methods, tools, and materials. Here are 10 secrets from them that will help you grow a magnificent lawn with your own hands.
Sometimes one grass appears greener than another. And thicker. And much nicer and softer to the touch. Sometimes it’s a shame when, despite the fact that you spent a lot of effort and time on caring for the lawn in the country, you still could not achieve the perfect result. This is because graduate landscape designers and golf care professionals devote their entire lives to achieving this.
But even with ever-increasing pressure and the demand to grow an ideal grass area, golf care professionals are successfully saving on water and chemicals and, despite this, achieve excellent results. So says Tom Brooks, owner and manager of Carson Valley Golf Course in Gardnerville, who has been recognized for introducing environmentally sound practices into the golf industry.
The lawn, which does not need to be looked after, has not yet been invented (although now we can beautifully mow the lawn automatically thanks to robotic lawn mowers). Nevertheless, golf care professionals and landscape designers managed to find 10 secrets that help grow a beautiful lawn with your own hands, while reducing maintenance efforts to a minimum. So, let's talk a bit about how to mow grass.
1. Mow frequently and sharpened blades
If your dream is a perfect lawn, then the key to its realization is frequent mowing, which will make the grass thicker and prevent weeds from breaking through. Make sure that the knives of the lawn mower are well sharpened, otherwise the grass will look messy and become vulnerable to disease. It is possible to determine that the blade has become dull by the quality of the lawn mower - if the result is not an even row of mowed grass, but “cut” (the grass is not cut, but cut off), this means that the blade requires sharpening.
Also note that it is not recommended to sharpen a lawn mower knife yourself, it is best to entrust this matter to specialists (sharpening is done in service centers and in specialized workshops) - only in this way you can be sure of a high-quality result.
2. Do not cut too short
Golf care professionals cut the grass shorter to get a denser lawn, but the disadvantage of short-cut grass is that it grows faster. “The shorter the grass, the more fertilizer and water you will need, and all this will make the lawn care process even harder,” said Peter Landshut, a professor at Penn State University, a landscape designer.
But how short do you need to mow the lawn? It depends a lot on the type of grass on your lawn, but Emil Coates, a professor of crop production at Mississippi State University, advocates a one-to-three rule: never cut more than one third of the height of the grass at a time. If the grass is 6 centimeters high, cut off 2 centimeters or less. Even if you need to mow tall grass, it is recommended to first cut off only the top, and only after a few days cut the rest to the desired size (this must be done in 2 or even 3 stages). Cut more, and you risk damaging the vegetation cover, which will take two or even three mowing cycles to restore.
According to Roach Gausson, a lawn design specialist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, if you cut the grass a little and leave it fairly tall, its roots begin to grow and go deeper into the soil. The deeper the roots of the grass, the better it will resist disease and the less water it will need. You can find out how to change the height of the grass mowing from the operating instructions that came with your lawn mower. Please note that different mowers, due to some technical features, have different maximum and minimum cutting heights. This parameter must be considered when mowing.
It is also important to understand that a lawnmower cannot be dispensed with on a personal plot - it will be necessary to acquire a trimmer or a scythe. Thanks to their compactness and mobility, they will allow you to effectively mow grass around trees, between flower beds and along the fence.
3. Do not mow wet lawn
The third rule that will help you create a beautiful lawn with your own hands is not to mow wet grass. This is fraught with the fact that the soil is compressed, and the roots of the grass will not be able to breathe. If this happens, the grass will dry out and ugly bald spots will appear on your lawn.
4. Use the mulching function
Leave cut grass particles where they were thrown by the mower after mowing. In this case, you can not only avoid the fuss with the grass catcher, but you can also fertilize the soil with these particles. If you mow the grass often enough, the cut off particles will be short and small, which means they will be easily absorbed by the soil and the lawn will not look messy.
Many modern models of lawn mowers have a mulching function, it consists in grinding mowed grass. The principle of operation of such lawn mowers is as follows: the grass is cut, ground and then fed into the very base of the lawn, and does not remain on the surface. Thus, the mulch becomes as effective as possible.
The possibility of mulching is provided in most commercially available models of lawn mowers, for example: HUSQVARNA LC 153 (9613100-37), PATRIOT PT 47LS, HAMMER KMT175SB and many others.
5. Water abundantly but not often.
“The biggest mistake made by most lawn owners is over-watering the lawn, which causes excessive vegetation (an unsightly thick clump of tangled roots between grass and soil),” Brooks explains. Daily watering prevents the roots from going deep into the soil and is also a waste of water. Instead, it is better to water the lawn rarely, but abundantly, and carefully monitor whether the lawn needs additional watering.
According to Gausson, watering a lawn is necessary if:
• You feel resistance when you stick a screwdriver or steel rod into the ground,
• The grass begins to acquire a light bluish tint,
• Grass taken after walking on the lawn does not rise back.
If you do not have a system of channels for irrigation of the lawn, a conventional sprinkler will be enough. Landshut advises each time to water the lawn to a depth of 2-3 centimeters. You can measure the water-soaked layer by placing an empty tin can on the grass. When it is full, move the sprayer to another area and start measuring again. When you determine how much water is needed on your lawn, you can easily set the sprinkler on an automatic timer.
Bad soil, which contains a large percentage of clay, or soil compacted due to frequent walking on it, will not absorb moisture well, so such frequent watering of the lawn does not make sense. If water is collected in puddles and drains onto the paths before the tin can is full, go to plan B: water the lawn every evening for about 1 centimeter for three consecutive days, and then stop watering until it is will need again.
6. Avoid watering at night.
If you want a perfect lawn, do not leave the grass wet overnight. Before watering, make sure that the lawn has time to dry before it gets dark, since excessive moisture in the grass contributes to the development of diseases. Watering the lawn is most effective in the early evening or morning. If you pour the lawn at noon, the water will simply evaporate and will not reach the roots.
7. Do not overdo with fertilizers
There is an erroneous opinion that it is impossible to grow a lawn with your own hands and, to give the grass a beautiful, juicy color, you need to use as many fertilizers as possible. However, this is not at all true.
“Excessive fertilizer provokes the rapid growth of grass, and you will have to cut the lawn more often, but we don’t want this. Private users typically use far more fertilizers and pesticides than golf care professionals, ”Brooks notes. "And that kills the lawn." Excessive fertilizer also harms the environment: fertilizers are washed off into streams and ponds, dragging them with duckweed. So it is worthwhile to carefully monitor where you pour the fertilizer, and sweep up the spilled fertilizer from the ground onto the lawn. In general, no chemicals can help you grow the perfect lawn.
If you want to determine exactly what your lawn needs, check the soil composition every three to four years and send a soil sample to your local research laboratory. Such an analysis costs about 2000 rubles and will help determine the quality of the soil and its composition, including the content of salts, organic substances, nitrates, nitrogen, phosphorus and lime. You can take the result to the nearest garden supplies store, where you will be helped to choose fertilizers and additives suitable specifically for your lawn.
Most fertilizers are produced in granules, and evenly distributing them across the lawn will not be difficult. In small areas, a manual fertilizer spreader can be used for this, and for large areas, a wheeled spreader is preferable.
Natural fertilizers, they are also sometimes called organic, act slowly, because heat and water are required to decompose and be absorbed by the soil.
In order not to be mistaken in the choice, it is worth ignoring the name of the fertilizer, and carefully study its composition. The presence of ingredients that could well be found in a textbook on chemistry, such as, say, ammonium nitrate, immediately indicates that you have a synthetic fertilizer. Organic fertilizers use only those components that are found in nature, such as manure, sludge, bone meal, feather meal and other poultry products. It is advisable to use both types of fertilizers twice a year, namely in spring and autumn.
8. Do not mix fertilizers
No matter what type of fertilizer you choose, use only one type of fertilizer. As Scott Meyer, editor of Organic Gardening magazine warns, mixing organic and synthetic fertilizers never brings a positive result.
9. Grow thick grass, and weeds will not break through
An ideal lawn, of course, should not have weeds and diseases, it should only have thick, bright and strong grass. If there are few weeds on the lawn, pull them out manually or use a root eliminator, a garden tool with a metal tip in the shape of a fork. There will be no problem with weeds, especially if you pay your or your neighboring children for every weed they pull.
Having carefully examined your lawn, you may want to wait until the problem is resolved on its own or even leave it as it is, as golf care professionals do often. “If there are few weeds on the lawn, we don’t touch them until there is a threat that they will negatively affect the quality of the lawn and prevent the ball from rolling towards the hole,” Brooks says.
10. Choose the right herbicide
If you think that additional help in weed control doesn’t stop you, you can choose one of two types of herbicides:
• “Pre-emergence” prevents seed germination and is usually applied once a year.
• “Post-emergence” is used when the seeds have already sprouted mainly to control broad-leaved weeds, such as dandelions and asterisk (aka woodworm) or grassy weeds, such as grassland creeping or even wild varieties of cereals such as fescue and bluegrass. In order to get rid of such weed grass, ordinary mowing or weeding will not be enough.
Most herbicides are synthetic in composition. Natural weed control methods boil down mainly to strengthening the soil to prevent clogging, but corn gluten can be used as a natural pre-emergence herbicide, which can also fertilize the soil and prevent the germination of weed seeds.
Mixtures of the “two in one” type, consisting of fertilizer and synthetic herbicide, are a rather popular post-emergence supplement, since they allow solving two problems of the lawn at once with one action. But Gausson still does not recommend using them, since in this case the herbicide falls on the entire lawn, and not just on problem areas.
Most of these products, when used in moderation, are not at all as toxic as some of the media convince us. However, this is not a reason to use them in excess or apply where there is no weed. This is simply unreasonable from an environmental point of view, ”says Gausson.
If you are leaning toward synthetic herbicides, try using the least toxic ones that are right for your problem first. Before buying any of the products, look for the safety data sheets of these substances, which are usually laid out by manufacturers on the network, and compare the indicated LD50 values of several similar products (the average dose of a substance that causes the death of half of the members of the test group).
After you have decided on the choice of herbicide, take a small sprayer, mix the minimum concentration of the substance and go through the lawn, spraying only problem areas.
If you follow all these tips, but your lawn is still yellow, lethargic, and sparse, it may be affected by disease or pests. The treatment of diseases and pest control is a complex task that requires a comprehensive study of the problem before taking action. Take a sample of the affected grass along with the roots and a sample of healthy grass. Take these samples to your local research laboratory or horticultural center. They will help you determine the causative agent of the infection and find effective methods of dealing with it.
View other options
If all this seems too complicated for you, then you will have to forever abandon the dream of growing a lawn with your own hands and form a “dry garden” in its place from plants that do not require watering, or plant plants in the garden that do not require regular mowing, such as mosses.
Or you can resort to the lawn care system that neighbors Barry Stewart, an associate professor of soil science and crop science at the University of Mississippi, used long ago in rural Wisconsin.
“They waited for the grass to grow back on the lawn, and then cut it to zero, literally to the very roots. For the rest of the summer, the grass no longer grew, ”says Stuart. “Of course, it was far from an ideal lawn, and it did not look very well-groomed - the grass just burned out. But they achieved their goal. It was not necessary to mow the lawn. When it started raining in September, the lawn came to life again and overgrown with grass. ”
What is a lawn
Lawn - an ordinary site on the territory, flat or embossed, which is planted with grass of different varieties, annuals and perennials, cereals and flowers, depending on the type of lawn and human preferences. Virtually not a single summer cottage can do without a lawn, and there are enough grassy areas in the urban area. These are house territories, parks and squares, edging of footpaths, roadsides, alleys. Lawns are rightfully considered one of the best elements of landscape design, and occupy a serious place in the design of plots!
There are several types of lawns, followed by several subspecies, but still classification by plants, purpose, place of sowing. Among them:
- Sports lawns: for stadiums, tennis courts, racecourses, golf courses, cricket, badminton, yoga fields and others, which are quite expensive and not particularly suitable for summer cottages,
- Special lawns: for highways and railways, airfields, road slopes, hydraulic structures,
- Decorative lawns: for parks, boulevards, squares, summer cottages. It is precisely they that are the most interesting for the design of their own territory, perhaps in synthesis and combination with flower beds, hedges, small architectural forms, and even a garden and a kitchen garden!
Aesthetically valuable and expensive lawns, grassland on the site, on the facade, the main plans for landscape design. Посев производится около фонтанов и парковых скульптур, при оформлении въездной группы, входной группы жилых и административных сооружений. Основное назначение – строго декоративное. Газон не предназначен для ходьбы по нему или помещению на его поверхность дополнительного садово-паркового декора. Если говорить проще, достаточно дорогое удовольствие, которое сложно назвать универсальным и самым подходящим. Просто очень красиво и очень дорого.But is such a lawn suitable for ordinary summer cottages? Most likely not!
Ground grasses are an exact, almost formulaic combination of narrow-leaved cereals, high-quality meadow bluegrass and red fescue. Despite the fact that the quality of the seeds should be at a high level with a germination rate of more than 95%, a significant and expensive preparation before planting is ahead. Also, it is worth paying attention to the unquestioning requirements for care, which requires certain exercises at least once every 2 days, which is very expensive. Daily watering, sowing, mowing the lawn, top dressing and other manipulations are not for the summer resident who leaves the city not only to deal with the lawn. In his possession is a garden, a kitchen garden, a country house, which may require repairs, and without fail a summer kitchen, barbecue and gazebo. because, first of all, a summer residence is a vacation!
Ordinary lawns in the country
An ordinary lawn is the best option for a summer cottage. Beautiful, versatile, with a wide purpose, pronounced by numerous possibilities in terms of shades and varieties of grass, that is, you can always get the necessary look by color, size of the leaf, its shape.
The main purpose of an ordinary lawn is sowing in private areas, ennoblement of house territories, planting in palisades, standard landscaping of the free part of the site.
Ordinary lawn is much more unpretentious parterre, and in terms of its use, and regarding care. You can move around on such a lawn, rest on it, laying a cover, put garden furniture, place a children's or even an adult inflatable or frame pool, install a playground, put a couple of goals and allow children to play football on the playground. Yes, it’s possible to damage it, but you will need to try hard!
For planting an ordinary lawn at the cottage, meadow grassgrass, white clover, pasture ryngras, common meadow grass, meadow fescue are used — grass seeds from the average price category, individually or as a general gathering!
Maintenance of such a lawn is much simpler, as well as preparatory work on the surface. It is enough to devote up to 2 hours per hundred square meters per week to keep the lawn in perfect order!
Meadow lawns in the country
Fairly popular lawns, characterized by a variety of perennial and annual grasses and flowers. Bright representatives of the whole family, who are chosen not by the majority, but by a good half of summer residents!
Meadow lawns are used to decorate landscape areas, zoning, improve the overall flower picture.
Lawns with minimal whimsicality, mainly consisting of real meadow and field grasses. Easy mowing, watering, fertilizer once a year. this, in principle, is all the care that is needed. Of course, in view of the cold winter, acid rain or self-forming lawn, it may be necessary to seed.
For planting, seeding and general formation of meadow lawns, sainfoin, alfalfa, clover, bluegrass, ryegrass, and wheat grass are used. Plots are more like wild, but due to the care (watering, cutting, weed removal) are beautiful flowering. It is worth mentioning about universality - the lawn is decorative, at the same time a platform for rest, as well as a good place for children to play!
Moorish lawn in the country
The most beautiful and bright, fragrant and healthy lawn for the rest of the vegetation in the country, attracting beneficial insects for pollination!
The Moorish lawn is also the easiest to maintain. It is formed on the basis of a meadow, neglected ordinary lawn, which has not been looked after for several years. This is a picturesque meadow, which is additionally "equipped" with perennial and annual herbs and other plants for constant flowering. The most correct decision is to plant plants that bloom not simultaneously, but throughout the entire warm season. Thus, it is possible to achieve an ideal result, which is called a variegated, brightly blooming lawn by specialists.
An unpretentious grassy meadow, which has a more decorative order than for the location of the games and recreation area here. Poppies, irises, chamomiles, cornflowers, calendula, coreopsis, bluebells, forget-me-nots, flax are planted on the Moorish lawn. Already in the second year of planting the lawn, you can achieve the perfect result by constantly sowing the annuals that you want to see at the heart of the Moorish lawn this season!
At the very beginning of the formation of the lawn, it is very important to sow spermatogenous plants, grass after them, and only at the end - flower seeds!
Choosing a lawn bookmark
- You should choose the most even area, well-lit, which is periodically obscured. It can be a site near the main buildings, on the border of the garden, along the fences of the territory,
- Such territories are just characterized by a large accumulation of snow in winter, which is good for preserving grass from frost. For example, the same plot for the lawn along the fence. Under vertical surfaces always sweep more snow,
- A lawn in the garden is a good idea, but not the most practical. The grass will receive little sun, and at the same time a minimum of nutrients, as the root systems of trees will absorb them,
- It is advisable to choose the site either as flat as possible, or with smooth differences. It can be formed independently by arranging a small geoplasty,
- Planting a lawn requires drained or simply dry soil so that the root system does not rot in the first year!
Lawn planting technology
- It is necessary to clean the site with maximum quality, down to sifting the soil to a depth of 10-15 cm. This is difficult, but important for the roots of the plants, as well as eliminating injuries after laying the lawn, because in the future children will play here and they will know that under them soft grass, not shards of bricks or stones. That is, you need to remove all the garbage, as well as eradicate the weeds,
- It is important to form a surface as flat or sloping as possible. You can do this by moving the soil,
- If there is a need to drain the soil, this should be done. In the best way to improve the landing site will be gravel and sand,
- Before planting, fertilizers recommended for the selected plants should be applied, or simply complex fertilizers,
- Before sowing, the site must be loose!
Sowing a lawn in the country
- Before sowing, the soil is rammed, rolled with a special skating rink,
- After, it slightly loosens with a fan rake,
- Seeds are scattered manually, but without rushing, for uniform distribution on the soil surface. The norm, depending on the initial requirements, as well as the planting period, can be from 20 to 100 grams per square meter,
- For sowing, you can use the machine method, when grass seeds with a special nutrient composition are applied under pressure to the surface and slightly driven into the soil,
- With standard seeding, after seed application, it is recommended to roll the area again with a roller!
Young lawn care
Care for the newly sown lawn is necessary, strictly based on the rules of agricultural technology of those herbs and flowers that have been selected. It is necessary to normalize watering before emergence, it is imperative to sow the lawn, as it will partially be bald for various reasons (seeds were pecked by birds, seeds of poor quality with inappropriate germination, etc.). An important point is additional rolling of the lawn, piercing, fertilizing.
Basic lawn care in the country
- Regular watering and haircuts,
- Weed picking and fertilizing,
- Landing with fertilizers, simultaneous sowing of grass,
- Rolling the lawn with a special skating rink,
- Piercing and combing the lawn,
- Replacing turf, treating areas of the lawn with diseases, copious weeds, mosses,
- Timely garbage collection from the surface!
All these measures must be taken to obtain high quality lawn and its smooth, beautiful surface with green grass!
Preparation should be started in advance, preferably six months before the planting of lawn grass seeds. This is best done in August or early September.
Outline the boundaries of the future lawn and, choosing a cloudless day (it is desirable that the next days do not promise rain), treat the site with suitable herbicides. Tornado and Agrokiller proved to be quite good. They can destroy all vegetation, so use them very carefully, not forgetting about protective equipment.
After 2-3 days, the plants begin to turn yellow and dry, and after 5-7 completely die off. The site can be dug up and the stems of dead plants removed.
After that, wait a month - the weed seeds remaining in the ground will sprout. Repeat the punitive action, destroying the remnants. Dig the ground again, removing the remains of weeds. Leave the site until next year - in the middle of April-May (depending on the region and the weather in a particular year) it will be possible to continue work. During this time, the herbicides are completely neutralized.
Young weed control
Fresh lawn grass will not please you with its purity and beauty for a long time. Alas, the ubiquitous weeds will still be on the lawn. They can be brought in by the wind or, they just stay from last year, not completely destroyed by herbicides. Of course, they will seriously spoil the appearance of the lawn.
They will have to seriously fight. Fortunately, the process is not too complicated. It is recommended to mow the lawn once every one to two weeks. During this time, the grass has time to grow to a decent height, but the weeds only throw out the first leaves and stems. Therefore, they will simply be mowed along with lawn grass. Yes, they will grow back. But all summer they will grow back only a few centimeters, and winter frosts will finish them off completely. The most important thing here is not to let them grow enough to throw a dart and sow your lawn with a fresh portion of seeds. Otherwise, the struggle will become significantly more complicated. So, in the first year, regular grass mowing is not only a matter of beauty, but also the safety of the lawn.
Unfortunately, even in subsequent years, weeds will make themselves felt. For example, the ubiquitous dandelion. Its seeds are carried by the wind for many kilometers, and it is impossible to protect themselves from them.
Here you have to work exclusively by hand and very carefully. It is necessary to remove the entire root - leave the shoot and in two weeks get a new weed. It’s best to do this after the rains, when the earth is well wet. If there is no rain, use a special root eliminator.
With its help, you can carefully spread the ground under the lawn, practically without harming the grass itself, and it is easy to extract the weed along with the root.
Of course, keeping the lawn in perfect condition is not easy. But its beautiful appearance fully compensates for all the time and effort.
What types of lawns exist
1. Artificial - since the construction of lawns from real grass is time-consuming, the practice of creating coatings from polymeric materials has appeared.
- Moorish lawn - sowing from flowering and cereal plants.
- Ground - uniform in color, height of grass and density, is created in the most ceremonial places.
- Forbs - allows arbitrary height of plants.
- Meadow - a natural grass cover that is mowed no more than 1 time per year (the so-called lawn for lazy people).
3. Sports lawn - a dense elastic turf cover from cereals resistant to trampling. A classic example is a football pitch.
4. Lawns for special purposes - prevent soil erosion on slopes, slopes, riverbanks and canals. For this, geotextiles and roll lawn are used.
Which lawn is better to plant? The classic version is ground floor. It looks neat and does not require special care conditions. Recently, Moorish lawns and herbs have been popular - they give the site an originality. Some use a roll lawn (roll lawn), but most still prefer to sow the lawn from scratch.
How to make a lawn on an unallocated area? To get started, draw a diagram of it. Consider the location of trees, flower beds, paths, and other landscape objects so that they do not interfere with grass mowing. Lay the distance from the lawn to the tracks of at least 1 meter - it will be more convenient to work with the lawn mower. How to plant a lawn under the trees? Use ground cover plants such as clover, wood chips or mineral chips.
Preparation of a plot for a lawn, selection of herbs
- Garbage collection.
- Rooting stumps.
- Weed removal with herbicides.
- Digging a plot with a cultivator, adding fertilizers, creating drainage.
- Leveling and compaction of the surface. How to level the plot for the lawn? To do this, use a special tool, such as a skating rink and a rotary hoe. You can make a lawn roller with your own hands - use a heavy log, a metal pipe or a sand barrel for this.
- Cultivating the earth with a rake for the lawn.
After the site is prepared, it is left for 1-2 months under steam. At this time, seeds are selected for the lawn by varieties. To do this, take into account the climate, soil composition, lighting. For shaded areas choose a shade-tolerant mixture of herbs. To put a car on the lawn, they buy a variety that is resistant to physical exertion or use a special lawn grate.
How to sow the lawn: instructions
When to sow a lawn? There are almost no restrictions on this - you can do this from mid-April to early September. Mineral fertilizers for the lawn are applied before sowing. The surface is again plowed. When planting a lawn in the spring with your own hands, consider the weather: it must be dry and windless, otherwise it will be difficult to achieve uniform sowing. A special seeder or seed distributor improves sowing quality.
How to plant a lawn if these tools are not? Sow the area manually first along and then across. Estimated seed consumption - 30-40 g / m 2.
How to make a lawn in the country, if there is peat mix or mulch? Spread the material evenly over the surface to get a thickness of 1.5 cm. After that, walk on the ground with a roller - this will compact the soil and help the seeds germinate faster.
How to grow a lawn of good quality? One of the secrets to success is plentiful and timely watering. Pour the crops with a fine rain and do it every day in the future - small drops will not erode the soil and wash off the slightly strengthened sprouts.
How to plant a lawn? Keep the topsoil always moistened. If everything is done correctly, the grass will germinate in a week. If in some areas the grass did not break through, they are sowed.
How to care for the lawn
1. Watering the lawn - in hot weather daily. It’s best to organize a lawn autowatering. This is the secret of how to plant a lawn in a dry summer.
2. A haircut - it is carried out when the grass grows by 8-10 cm. Only the tips (1-2 cm) are cut off - thanks to this, the root system develops, new shoots grow, the grassy pillow becomes thicker. The further frequency and nature of the mowing depends on the type of grass, weather and season. Lawn mowing is done once a week. Its intensity is reduced in spring and autumn, since at this time the growth rate of shoots decreases. The first spring haircut is carried out when the grass grows by 10 cm. Mow this lawn by 1/3 - this will allow it to recover quickly after winter. To prevent damage to the grass, make sure that the mower knives are sharpened sharply.
3. Lawn aeration - Another important event. It is performed to improve the access of oxygen, water and nutrients to the root system. To do this, holes are made in the turf. The event is held once a year for normal grass cover. In temperate latitudes, a lawn is aerated in autumn, and in warm latitudes, in spring.
How to make a lawn on a site that is heavily trampled down? Give aeration a special role - do it more than twice a year. Thanks to this, you can even arrange parking on the lawn. In this case, a special tile or net for the lawn is used. Since some lawns have a large area, aeration can be difficult. Depending on the size of the plot, a suitable aerator for the lawn is chosen. Sandals for lawn aeration can act in its quality. The verticutter for a lawn will provide greater productivity.
4. Feeding the lawn - periodically apply mineral fertilizers to the soil using a spreader. If you give top dressing in time, you won’t have to worry about how to sow the lawn.
What determines the cost of lawn seeds
- Plant species - Moorish lawn is more expensive than classic grass.
- Seed grade - A sowing lawn with special properties, for example, resistant to shade or trampling, is more expensive than usual.
- Mixture composition - the harder it is, the higher the price.
- Producing country - grass for a lawn of a domestic company will cost less than a lawn from a foreign manufacturer.
How to make a lawn: cutting frequency
Timely cutting provides the lower part of the plants with sunlight. If this is not done on time, spots will appear on the lawn. The frequency of the event depends on the season, weather and the type of lawn. Определите оптимальную высоту травы — когда длина листьев превышает требуемое значение на 1-2 см, значит, настала пора её косить.
Как сделать красивый газон своими руками? Просто подстригайте его раз в неделю, два раза стричь газон допускается в период активного роста травы. Фото газонов на даче своими руками смотрятся не хуже тех, что сделаны специалистами. In fact, they are also no worse than professional ones.
To summarize: how to make a lawn in the country with your own hands
Follow our instructions, regularly look after the lawn after winter (spring), apply watering and aeration on time, do not forget to cut the grass correctly.
Which grass is better for the lawn? Think about this moment, taking into account the conditions of the site and its purpose. Approaching the matter responsibly and applying all our tips, you will get a beautiful green lawn.
If you want to more clearly see how to sow the lawn, watch our video.