During the repair process, very often decisions regarding the choice of finishing materials are subject to change at the very last moment. It happens like this - you choose the perfect wallpaper that matches both color and texture, sticks on the walls with knowledge of the matter, then you stand and admire, and you understand that something is not right. Too boring and monotonous, or something, or lacks something raisins small or contrast, so that it becomes completely harmonious. Do not rip off now freshly glued wallpaper? In this case, radically change the situation with minimal cost and damage will help borders for wallpaper. Today we will talk about tips for choosing and gluing a border tape.
1. The choice of the border tape, taking into account its main characteristics
A border tape, or a frieze, or a piping, or a fringing are the names of the same universal finishing material with the help of which you can very quickly and economically complement the interior and give it expressiveness and a characteristic shade. Those who claim that this is the last century, and borders have already gone out of fashion, since the interiors with their use are very reminiscent of the situation of the times of the USSR, just do not know how to use them correctly. Especially considering the fact that the modern look of the frieze is distinguished by high aesthetic qualities and impresses with its diversity.
This decorative element represents a strip from a few centimeters to a whole meter wide and is sold in rolls from 5 to 10 meters long. Choosing a border tape should not bring a lot of problems. Most stores with decoration materials offer a large number of ready-made collections of wallpapers that already contain one or more variants of frieze. If you first glued the wallpaper, and then realized that you need to complement the interior to complete the picture, then you need to pay special attention material of manufacture edging. The most common ones are:
- Paper - The thinnest and most delicate look that sticks and is removed very simply. However, due to their delicate texture during a careless gluing process, they can tear or soak. They do not have a particularly long service life and quickly fade under the influence of ultraviolet radiation. But this is the most budget option.
- Vinyl - differ from the previous ones in the increased level of strength to mechanical influences, have a denser structure, are not subject to fading, and therefore have a decent service life. Various contaminants are easily removed from their surface with conventional detergents, which do not spoil the surface, unless, of course, you rub the hard side of the sponge. Due to such practicality, they are often used in such environmentally specific rooms as a kitchen or bathroom.
- Acrylic - Also established themselves as a very practical decor, resistant to external factors. The cost of acrylic borders is somewhat cheaper than vinyl with almost equal performance.
- Textile - This interesting type of frieze consists of two layers. The first layer is the base, made of paper. A tissue layer is glued onto it, performing a decorative function. Often, velor is used for such purposes. The disadvantages of this chic element is poor resistance to moisture and mechanical stress. If you carefully handle or place such a border close to furniture, such as a sofa or armchairs, where there may be constant contact with pets or hairpins in your hair, it may scratch, stick out or lose its gloss. In addition, dust will quickly settle on it, especially if the tape has a small width. Allergy sufferers should definitely refrain from such an idea. Caring for a textile frieze is complicated by the inability to remove dust or dirt simply with a damp cloth.
- Made from fiberglass - the most practical of the options, which is resistant to both mechanical and other types of influences. Such a frieze will have an attractive appearance for many years. Its stability allows you to use this decor in any room. In this regard, it has the highest cost.
So that the borders do not create a clear contrast, it is necessary to select identical material the material of the main wallpaper. For example, acrylic silk-screened wallpapers decorated with paper borders instantly lose their chic and rich look and instead become ridiculous and vulgar. The same thing happens in reverse situations. Borders called hide the joints of two types of wallpaper, eliminate the effects of sloppy pasting or smooth out transitions between two or more colors, perform the zoning function. At the same time, they should remain an interior decoration. As for the choice of pattern and color, the border tape is:
- Solid color
- With ornament
The surface of the tape may be:
- Gold, bronze or silver plated,
Depending on the application areas very clearly in appearance differ borders for:
- Children's room - you will not confuse them with any others. They always "live" elephants, giraffes, dolls, butterflies and other heroes,
- Living room - such a border looks rather noble and rich. It can be depicted various stripes, monograms, floral patterns, elements of ancient Roman frescoes, calligraphic inscriptions and much more. Sometimes such a small element, with an appropriate pattern, is enough to demonstrate a particular design style,
- The dining room is the most “delicious” variety on which fruits and vegetables, tempting sweets, various drinks or just words corresponding to the kitchen theme can be painted. In this room, borders are often used to emphasize a window or doorway, a beautifully illuminated wall cabinet or pencil case, or on a wall opposite which there is a dining area.
2. Options for combining frieze with wallpaper
After you familiarize yourself with the main features of wallpaper borders, you need to figure out how combine correctly them with wallpaper. Two main characteristics by which it is customary to combine them - a color or pattern. Given the conditions, there are actually not so many selection options, but they are the most successful, and help to really create a holistic and piquant interior.
Plain wallpaper + frieze with ornament
One of the classic, noble combinations. This design option is suitable for discreet people who prefer elegant and seasoned interiors with their own zest. In this case width the tape should be such that the drawing is clearly and clearly visible on it. So that from afar it doesn’t just resemble a stripe of distinctive color. With this combination, compatibility is ensured by shade. therefore main rule - pick up a border with an ornament that will have sections that are identical in color to the main wallpaper. Even a small amount of such color matching will provide a harmonious perception. With this technique, you can easily diversify a calm environment, make it more dynamic and lively.
It is very successful to use a border with patterns in spacious rooms, where special emphasis is placed on the walls. Opposite them, any furniture may be completely absent. Also this option is optimal for decoration child rooms. You probably have often come across the fact that caring parents try to make their child's life as colorful and colorful as possible and please him in every way. In this regard, they make out the room depending on the preferences of the child. Often, themed wallpapers or murals with characters of their favorite cartoons are used for this. The case is costly and not entirely justified. Indeed, at an early age, the child very often and quickly changes his hobbies. Today he was delighted with dinosaurs, and tomorrow he became interested in airplanes ... That is why it is much easier, faster and more economical to replace a border with a boring and already irrelevant image than to re-paste wallpaper in the whole room.
Against the background of neutral walls with a thematic frieze, paintings with the corresponding image can be placed to support the idea. This is not a strict rule, it is just recommendation practical parents. Other combinations look no less successful in the room of small owners.
Wallpaper with a pattern + plain frieze
This combination will give some calm and orderliness to the room saturated with patterns. In this case, the frieze should reflect the color that is in the minority on the main wallpaper. So you can avoid oversaturation in one tone. The width of the tape is selected from the option of its location on the wall, which we will talk about a little later. One thing is for sure, that too narrow a strip against the background of large elements of the picture will look ridiculous and simply get lost. If there is mother of pearl on the wallpaper, you can pick up a monophonic ribbon to match it. Thus, it would seem ordinary wallpaper with ornaments, will acquire charm and sophistication. Usually in such cases, gold or silver edging is used.
Plain and color wallpapers + border options
Wallpaper with a picture always looks more expressive and interesting, but there are times when to decorate the entire room from bottom to bottom with colored canvases unacceptable. Especially it concerns small rooms. You run the risk of making them visually even less spacious and stuffy. In this case, do not completely abandon your favorite wallpaper with a picture. You just need to use them in smaller quantities. A popular option is to design the bottom of the wall with such paintings, and the top - in plain, pastel or the same color, but without a pattern. The place where there will be a junction of two varieties of wallpaper must be hidden either plain tape distinctive color or with the same pattern but having a different orientation, as in the example below, the walls look so harmoniously designed in the living rooms or bedrooms.
Wallpaper with ornament + frieze with a pattern
If you like just such a composition, then you should be very careful. Choosing the wrong ornament, you risk oversaturated all kinds of premises drawings and then only the walls will be striking, and not your chic furniture or original decor items. Such a solution in itself is very rich and rich. Based on this, the most good option will use a border tape of medium width, which depicts the same pattern as on the main canvases, but smaller. Or combine wallpapers of different colors, but with the same ornament, which should be repeated on the tape. In this case, the frieze is optimally positioned so that the direction of its pattern is perpendicular to the direction of the pattern on the wallpaper.
Dark and light wallpaper + border tape
Many designers are very fond of performing various color combinations to make the interior more expressive and voluminous. It not only looks spectacular, but also has practical point of view. Even the most neat and pathologically prone to cleanliness mistresses will not be able to avoid wall pollution from below. This is especially true for passage areas such as a corridor.. Therefore, very often the lower small part of the wall or its half is pasted over with darker wallpaper. Above, light tones are preferred. The junction of two canvases can be effectively hidden using a well-chosen border. Wallpaper, in turn, can be either plain or have an unobtrusive pattern. this implies two options border tape:
- Monochrome textured wallpaper in different colors can be combined using a border that has the color of the lower or upper canvas, but with an ornament. For example, a dark blue bottom and a white top will successfully complement a white border tape with a blue ornament, or vice versa.
- Wallpaper with a pattern of different colors can be supplemented with a plain tape to match the color of the picture. For example, the lower canvas is dark gray, and the upper is light gray. But on both canvases there is a black or white pattern. An unusual distinction in this case will be a thin black or, accordingly, white border.
3. Secrets of the successful application and location of borders
When you accurately determine the type of wallpaper and, based on our recommendations, select the most suitable border, you will certainly be asked how correctly position elements on the wall. Consider the most good options:
- Horizontal location - is the most common for many. The most common option when the border is located exactly in the middle of the wall. This is acceptable for rooms with normal ceiling heights. More interesting will be the location of the curb somewhere at the level of 1/3 of the height of the wall. This will help to slightly raise low ceilings. To hide the unsuccessful clipping of wallpapers or to provoke guests to pay attention to your chic stretch ceiling or an exquisite lamp, place the border tape directly under the ceiling. A wider tape will be more noticeable. There are a lot of options for such borders, sometimes they can be made in the form of large flowers, unusual birds or inscriptions. With the help of such an element, the interior will seem more thoughtful and complete. Another option for horizontal placement is directly above the floor. In this case, the border can have a width of 20-30 cm and be made in the form of a young grass with primroses or just have an interesting pattern.
- Vertical orientation is especially relevant if you want to highlight the wall, which is emphasized. It can be a wall of distinctive color, edged around the perimeter with a border with an ornament in color with the main walls. Or, conversely, a wall with patterns and a clear monophonic edging. In any case, such a decision will have a more expressive and neat appearance. After all, you will not only clearly indicate the boundaries, but also hide the joints or cuts in the corners, where it is beautifully difficult to accomplish this. Especially without proper surface preparation before this. The vertical border can also be wonderfully located on the plane of a long wall in the place where wallpapers of various kinds are found.
- Diagonal separation is extremely rare. But this option also has the right to life. Rooms look one of the walls of which is divided by a diagonal line very extravagantly and creatively. In addition, there is another a plus Using this direction - diagonals help to expand the space and slightly dissolve its borders, thereby making the room more spacious. Please note that the last design decision in the design of the apron in small kitchens was the diagonal arrangement of tiles. Which manifests itself in the method of laying flooring. So why not? Will look especially impressive wide stripes with a beautiful pattern on the background of plain walls. But zeal is not worth it either. The width of the border should not exceed ¼ of the height of the wall. In the case of the arrangement of two parallel stripes, even less.
- Highlight window or door openings. This is another not-so-standard way to use a wallpaper border. However, if you have such a desire or need, then you should not dissuade yourself. To highlight the window opening, you can stick tapes around its perimeter. This is acceptable if the curtains do not impede the further vision of such a decision. If you already have your favorite curtains, place a wide border with a beautiful pattern directly above the cornice and the entire width of the wall. Of course, it must match the color or texture of the rest of the finishing materials. Doorways are drawn in a similar way. In the case of gluing a border around the door frame, for example, instead of platbands, you can choose its color for the door leaf, and the picture for the color of the walls. It is possible and vice versa. The main thing, so that the color of the walls and doors are reflected in the appearance of the edging.
It is also worth noting that in addition to its excellent aesthetic qualities, borders can help visually highlight a particular area. So you can quickly and easily perform zoning space at little cost. It turns out to be especially successful when the border is placed vertically at the junction of the same in texture but different in color canvases. This technique is often used to separate a small area of the bedroom for the work area. Or by combining the living room and kitchen.
4. How to stick borders
First of all, you need to know that the border tape differs by gluing method.
- Some varieties are self-adhesive. In order to start work, it is only necessary to remove the protective tape from the adhesive layer.
- Others are simply impregnated with an adhesive. In this case, you only need to slightly moisten their base, wait a couple of minutes and stick.
- But most still require the same actions as regular wallpapers. In this case, it is necessary to pay attention to the glue itself, which should be marked on the package “for wallpaper borders”. Или попросить продавца подобрать необходимый вариант.
Что касается самого процесса наклеивания. Many mistakenly believe that the border is glued directly on top of the wallpaper. This option is acceptable only when using a paper border on paper wallpaper. Due to the minimum thickness of this material, no bulges will form on the wall surface in the future, and the frieze will adhere easily and reliably. In case of use of other materials, border glued only on the wall. Therefore, you need to start work with training surface itself:
- If it has defects in the form of deep scratches or dents, they must be smoothed out with a putty layer.
- After drying, it must be sanded with fine sandpaper or a special mesh to remove bumps.
- After that, the entire surface to be glued is primed.
- After the soil has dried, it is very important that markup. This will be the key to the correct location of the curb on the wall. To do this, use the building level and a special painting line. In one motion, you can precisely mark up immediately for a large length.
- Now you need to measure how much tape you need. Do not cut back to back. Do centimeter stock at the place of each junction. The excess will be easily cleaned with a clerical knife, but the gaps will be clearly noticeable in case of lack of material.
- To simplify the work, it is recommended to cut a large curb into segments 1-1.5 meters long. In this case, do not forget about the reserve. Cut the border in places where the drawing will most easily be combined. So you greatly simplify your work.
When you have properly prepared the walls, evenly marked them out and cut the frieze, you need to start mixing the adhesive and the main work.
- Give the glue a little infusion and proceed with application. The layer should not be too thick. Do not apply immediately to the full length of the wall. For the first time, it is enough to smear the area equal to the length of the strip. In some cases glue is applied to curb edging. He must be allowed to lie down for several minutes so that he soaks and only then glue. This feature will be specified in the instructions for the curb tape itself.
- Follow the markup clearly. Since the border tape is often glued in the first place, it will set the direction for the main wallpaper. In case of a skew, it is better to transfer the work.
- Wipe off excess glue immediately from the surface of the frieze with a soft cloth.
- The joints of the two strips must be rolled with a roller.
- When you get to the corners, make sure that the edge of the canopy must go at least one centimeter on the adjacent wall. This will ensure a joint without gaps.
- If you make a window or doorway with a border, it is better to join the edges at an angle of 45 degrees. Do not do this immediately before sticking. Position the tape around the perimeter of the opening with a margin. So that its edges come on each other and form the letter P. Without waiting for complete drying, take a ruler and a sharp knife. Attach the ruler at the required angle to the wall, press down firmly and slide it with a knife. Do not push too hard not to pull the edges of the blade. After making sure that you cut through both layers to the end, carefully remove the excess pieces and roll the joint with a roller. You'll get perfectly even bevel.
As you can see, the process of pasting ordinary wallpaper is even more complex and time-consuming than a decorative border. Following these tips and doing everything sequentially and accurately, you will certainly cope with this task perfectly.
5. Key Points Affecting Choice
It was said a lot to organize information and summarize the main results. selection rules border tape:
- To ensure the maximum level of compatibility of the frieze with the main wallpaper, do not neglect ready-made options.
- To fully understand how this kit will look like an assembly, browse directories. Decent suppliers have a lot of them,
- If you clearly know that you want to use the border in your interior, but did not find anything suitable among the finished options, leave a place under it. Paste the main wallpaper, after you see how they play on the walls, you will understand what exactly you will look for,
- If you can’t find anything, do it yourself their usual style matching wallpapers
- The border must necessarily repeat either the color or texture of the wallpaper. Then the combination will be harmonious,
- When choosing a ribbon for plain wallpaper, give preference to a darker shade,
- Wallpaper with a pattern perfectly complements the plain border,
- Wide curb ribbons with ornament look very impressive. You can use them very quickly. to diversify the interior,
- Wide borders of dark shades located on the bottom edge of the wall will protect it from pollution,
- Window and door look very sophisticated and expressive. openings with decorative edging
- The style and character of the picture on the border tape should in no case contradict the theme of the room and the main wallpaper,
- Be sure to choose material Borders identical in material to wall wallpaper. This will help to avoid not only visual contrast, but also the difference in thicknesses,
- The subject of the picture on the curb must necessarily correspond to the room in which they will be located,
- Sometimes border color It can be combined not with the color of the main wallpaper, but, for example, with a single piece of furniture of a distinctive color. For example, in a black and white interior, an unusual red armchair will create the necessary dynamics and contrast. If you choose a thin red border as the composition, then the room will instantly become more lively.
Do not be afraid to experiment and try to bring something new into the interior of your apartment with the help of such a simple but effective solution as a wallpaper border.
Execution material can be any. So, a decorative border happens:
- Gypsum plaster
Each of them has its own peculiarities, pros and cons, which we will definitely consider further.
There are many different materials that are used to make borders: wood, gypsum, paper, polyurethane, polystyrene.
An excellent and economical solution compared to all the others. Can be sold in rolls or as wall stickers. There is only one minus for such a border - it is flat, but if you use it correctly in the interior, it will look advantageous.
One of the options for wall stickers.
The decorative border in this design, of course, is good "for all times." Gypsum is an environmentally friendly material that is very convenient to use even in wet rooms. Gypsum decor always has a fantastic pattern due to the fact that all the nuances of the relief specifically in this material are perfectly readable.
The most diverse gypsum decor was used in this interior. And, of course, there are several different border designs on the walls and ceiling.
Plaster lilies with a detailed study of buds and leaves.
One of the most expensive is a wooden decorative border. The price depends on the cost of the source material and the complexity of installation, which should be done ONLY by specialists using a professional tool. Such a decorative border will be appropriate in interiors where the main finishing material is wood.
Wooden decorative border will become an indispensable decor of the respective interiors.
Polyurethane borders and various decorative elements showed themselves perfectly as a replacement for plain gypsum stucco moldings. They are easily painted and mounted. Strong enough and almost do not burn.
Polyurethane stucco molding is much cheaper than gypsum. It can be used as a replacement for plaster decoration, if you need a simple design of such jewelry.
Strengths - affordability and easy installation. Cons - a very soft material, it is easy to crush and break. Also limited decor options. Foam curb - an excellent solution for the repair of the class "economy".
Foam decorative border can also be painted in any color. Paint, as a rule, hides all the flaws of the material and presents it in a more favorable light.
If you are interested in learning more about ceiling skirting boards in different materials: gypsum, wood, polystyrene, polyurethane - we recommend reading this article.
Decorative border is not always sold in the form that is required in the interior. As a rule, these are blanks, which are then painted in the desired color.
Tip: to paint the curb after installation, you must first glue the masking tape along the entire curb on both sides. Thus, the paint will remain only on the curb, and the ceiling and walls will be clean. However, you can do without a tape if you skillfully use a spatula.
Coloring methods can be any: It can be one or several colors with clear borders (for example, various ornaments are painted so often). It can be a patina, a stone-like effect, etc. Here, everyone chooses what he likes.
Coloring of ornaments, as a rule, is carried out in 2-5 colors with clear borders. However, as can be seen in the photo, they can look great with a slight patina effect.
Painted gypsum rosette. For a detailed study - click on this photo.
Stucco painted in different colors will always be spectacular in an interior with high ceilings.
Trimming and mounting
The most difficult thing in mounting a decorative border is the plastic wall: external and internal corners, radius. The decorative border, plinth and fillet (ceiling plinth) are cut according to the same principle - at an angle of 45 °. Of course, if you have square and rectangular outline of the premises. If you have a lot of dull corners in the interior, circular lines - you need different values and methods.
Border trim schemes for joining at external and internal corners.
In order to saw off a piece of decorative border evenly and at the right angle, you need a miter box and a hacksaw (a sharp knife will be enough for polystyrene). True, such a set of tools is suitable only for polyurethane and foam molded products.
Take the choice of glue seriously - it must be suitable for the material your border is made of. Otherwise, you will not have everything to hold normally or in general the material will collapse under the influence of the glue composition.
Border trim video tutorial
Often the question arises: “When is it right to paint a decorative border: before installation or after?” There is no one right way: it can be done both before and after installation. The second method is often used. For example:
Decorative border for wallpaper
In this section, we will talk about a decorative border made of paper, which is sold along with wallpaper in rolls.
Such a border can be glued over wallpaper or on a prepared wall. It is glued with small cuts (calculate based on your comfort and dexterity). Just like the sheets of wallpaper, the border is smeared with glue and with the help of sleight of hand and a magic rag (or roller) turns into a perfectly smooth and beautiful decorative border.
The process of gluing walls with a border is no more complicated than wallpapering.
Decorative borders for wallpaper: what is their feature
Paste curbs most often in the upper segment of the wall. This does not mean that only this option is acceptable, but this can be called a typical case. Although, it will not be amiss to consider the option with a border around the perimeter of the ceiling, or, which is also interesting, in the lower third of the wall.
Features of the location of the border:
- At the top of the wall it plays the role of a decorative edging, which definitely makes the room more comfortable.
- Along the perimeter of the ceiling the border serves as a separator, a zoner.
- Bordering a wall near the floor - a way to hide the unsuccessful sticking of the walls when you are a little mistaken with the height of the wallpaper.
The border may be the border between the panel and the main wall. In this case, it is located at a height of at least 80 cm from the floor
But vertical use of curbs is not uncommon. For example, if you need to visually divide a wall into two zones - often this option is chosen in the nursery. Borders border the doors, mirrors, etc., in a word, what I want to highlight.
Paper borders for wallpapers in the nursery: specifics of application
A paper border is often used in a nursery. And this is a reasonable step.
The border in this case will help:
- Break the room into a zone (working, playing, neutral),
- Visually change the space, visually enlarge or expand it,
The border for wallpaper will help to separate the lower third of the wall, which in the nursery just makes sense to paste over with other wallpapers, more dense, washable, practical
A clear mistake would be to stick a border in the middle of the wall. It doesn’t just not look very impressive, it cuts off a considerable part of the wall, visually, of course. But vertically glue the border in the middle of the wall is not forbidden.
Options for combining wallpaper and decorative borders
Often, when buying wallpaper, in addition to the main finishing material, it is proposed to purchase such a decor element as borders. This product allows you to complement the appearance of the room, highlight significant design details, adjust the visual size of the internal space, hide decoration errors, set boundaries at the joints with other materials.
Border tape allows you to give the room a sophisticated look
In almost any specialized wallpaper store there are catalogs of border tape. The buyer can choose it independently from the proposed range. However, many manufacturers greatly simplify the selection task by providing one or more border options complete with the wallpaper model.
As a rule, the manufacturer offers two combinations: in color or in pattern. For example, green wallpapers of light tones with floral ornaments are perfectly combined with white or dark tones with a green border with or without the same pattern. In the case of a monophonic coating, you should opt for a frieze of a similar shade with any print. Such an addition will enrich the design of the room and make it more refined and attractive.
It is important to choose a border that will be in harmony with the wallpaper in the room
Helpful advice! In one collection you can find wallpapers and border tape with different patterns. Such a combination may not look very good in a small room, oversaturated the appearance of the walls and attracting too much attention to them.
Another option from the manufacturers are wallpapers and borders with the same image. For example, the former are decorated with large geometric shapes, and the edging is identical in color and shape, but smaller. It should also be taken into account that the wall covering should be combined not only with a frieze, but also with other design elements.
Border and wallpaper with the same image
Regarding the choice of colors, it must be said separately that a very motley ribbon is appropriate only in rooms where it is placed on walls. At the same time, even cabinets and other furniture elements are not planned to be hung. However, there is one type of room where the use of bright colors is justified - the nursery.
When a child reaches a conscious age, caring parents often want to paste wallpaper on the theme of the topic that is interesting to him at the moment. This is the main mistake, because the hobbies of a young child usually change very quickly. It is much more advisable to choose a border strip "according to interests". Replacing it will be much easier, cheaper and faster than completely re-sticking the entire cover in the nursery.
Themed kids room with a bright border
The walls themselves are executed in a neutral positive color. It is worth remembering that too bright and provocative premises can cause a feeling of anxiety in children.
The choice of material for the execution of the border tape for wallpaper
There are several options for making a decorative frieze.
Paper border for wallpaper. This option is exposed to ultraviolet rays, pigment fading, as well as mechanical damage during cleaning. Such a frame for repair can be used if relatively frequent changes are expected in the interior of the room. The main advantage is the ease of pasting and removal. All this should be taken into account before buying a paper border for wallpaper.
The design of the children's room in soft colors
Vinyl Framing. It is more practical, durable, durable, less prone to fading, easy to clean with wet cleaning. Vinyl tape is well suited for the entrance hall, kitchen, bathroom and other places with high pollution.
Acrylic edging. It includes all the advantages of vinyl, but has a lower cost due to the use of acrylic emulsion in it.
Textile hem. It has a two-layer structure of paper and fabric, as a result of which a greater density and strength of the coating is achieved.
There are many vibrant subspecies of paper borders.
How to properly place a wallpaper border on a wall
Следует сразу отметить, что окантовка никогда не клеится по центру стены. В противном случае визуально комната становится ниже. An ideal location is 1/3 of the height from the floor. In this case, the strip becomes the interface between the wallpaper of various kinds. One of the classic examples of the combination is "striped wallpaper - edging - patterned wallpaper." The choice can be made in favor of plain wallpaper, with the lighter glued at the top and the dark ones at the bottom.
The above-described option for the location of the frame is especially relevant when pasting the kitchen. The main factor here is practicality. Often, a more expensive coating is glued to the top of the wall, and special washable wallpaper and a vinyl or acrylic edging cover the work area.
Border with Vinyl Flowers
The most common arrangement of decorative border for wallpaper under the ceiling. At the same time, it partially replaces the ceiling plinth. It must be taken into account that gluing the frieze at the very top of the wall is recommended only for large spacious rooms. This emphasizes the beauty of the ceiling, makes the room more comfortable and cozy, and adjusts its visual dimensions.
Helpful advice! O Wallpaper border can be glued vertically. This allows you to visually highlight a specific section of the wall or functional area. You can fringe doorways, mirrors, furniture, etc.
One of the options for placing a border in the kitchen
Very rarely, a border tape for wallpaper is located below the floor itself. This technique can be used if an error was made when measuring the height of the wall and the wallpaper after cutting turned out to be short. There are also cases when substandard material shrinks when dried.
The border tape visually dividing the wall into two parts
Wallpaper for walls: a catalog of photos of current and stylish options
Types of wallpaper. How to choose a wallpaper for the rooms of the apartment: living room, bedroom, nursery. Wallpaper for walls: a catalog of photos and prices for various types of wallpapers.
Also, the tape is glued to the ceiling and, like a mirror image, immediately below it on the walls. This arrangement visually corrects the size of the room and its appearance.
Tips for preparing and applying wallpaper borders
When pasting, wallpapers absorb moisture and become more susceptible to mechanical stress and pollution. Therefore, they should be allowed to dry well and only after that proceed with application wallpaper borders. The drier the surface, the better the adhesion of the two materials after application.
Combination of vertical and horizontal borders
Glue for borders quickly polymerizes (dries). Therefore, in the absence of much experience, the gluing process should be divided into stages. This avoids situations where the plastered edging has dried up and become unusable. It is also worthwhile to make sure that you have all the necessary tools in advance.
On some wallpapers there is a pattern with horizontal guides, which you need to navigate. The lack of a parallel between the frame and the main wall pattern can be very noticeable and adversely affect the visual perception of the design.
Border placement should be determined in advance
Pieces when cutting need to be done a little longer, which will allow you to match the image. This is true for borders with a pattern.
You must carefully check the surface of the walls on which you plan to place the tape. Any irregularities will sooner or later appear due to the thin material of the performance. It is necessary to cover up all irregularities, cracks, remove the remaining paint or glue.
Stylish border allows you to divide the room into zones
When using a self-adhesive edging for wallpaper, one should not rely entirely on its quality. Over time, it can begin to fall off. Therefore, it is much more advisable to lubricate the surface with glue when placing it than to solve the problems that arise in the future.
Sometimes the wallpaper border is glued butt with the main coating. This is true for varieties with a developed or high relief (two-layer wallpaper with embossing or with an additional layer of foamed vinyl). In this case, ordinary wallpaper glue is used.
The border in the bathroom should be fixed with waterproof glue.
Necessary tools for applying a wall border
To glue the frieze you will need the following tools.
Level. It is very important to observe a strictly horizontal edge, which allows you to perfectly combine the border around the entire perimeter of the room and not spoil the appearance of the interior.
Smoothing roller. Serves for pasting bubbles and excess glue. This tool can be replaced with a plastic spatula or a soft sponge. However, the video has an advantage: the likelihood of displacement when smoothing the border tape for wallpaper is minimal.
The border strip on a plain wall stands out much brighter than in the picture
Cutting knife. It is recommended to use a clerical knife and a ruler, which allows you to more accurately cut the tape along the intended lines. It will also be needed when combining patterns and cutting off excess.
Brush. The surface on which the frieze is glued should be as clean as possible. A soft brush will help get rid of dust immediately before pasting.
The border will look good at any height from the floor
Sponge or absorbent cloth. It is needed to remove excess glue from the wall. The fabric should not be fleecy. It is best to use natural white linen or cotton fabric so that the dye of the cloth does not smear the coating when wet.
Glue roller. It can be replaced with a regular paint brush. However, it should be noted that when pasting the pile can cause a lot of inconvenience and slow down the work. If pasting is done by one person, it will be quite difficult for him to simultaneously hold the plastered frieze and at the same time get rid of the adhered debris.
When sticking a border on different textures, you should not regret the sticky substance
Wallpaper glue. When choosing glue, it makes sense to consult with the seller at the time of purchase, indicating the material of the frieze and on which surface it should be applied.
Stepladder or table. If you plan to place the curb on the walls in the upper part, then for work you will need a stepladder or a strong table that can support the weight of a person. It is necessary to remove in advance all objects obstructing the movement along the perimeter of the room. This will also reduce the likelihood of additional injuries when falling from a height.
Desktop. It is necessary for placement of a tape when smearing. The working surface must be thoroughly cleaned of dirt and can be covered with plastic wrap to avoid any contamination during operation.
The process of gluing a decorative border for wallpaper
Before starting the basic operations, make sure once again that you have all the necessary tools and materials. Remove all excess objects from the room or protect them from accidental contamination, conveniently position the work surface.
The border is able to decorate any room
Glue preparation. It is strongly recommended that you carefully study the manufacturer's instructions, as some adhesive mixtures are diluted non-standard. According to the general rules, the dry mixture is placed in a container with water and slowly mixed. The subsequent infusion process takes approximately 20 minutes. After this time, the adhesive is re-mixed until a homogeneous mass without lumps.
In the case of using glue mixed with acrylic, mixing with water is not required. Such material can be used immediately. It should be noted that due to the acrylic base, an ideal adhesion to the surface is ensured.
A cute one border option for a nursery
Note! Improper glue preparation will subsequently affect the decorative features of the wallpaper border. Therefore, it is worth treating this stage responsibly. Otherwise, the tape will have to re-stick.
Markup. In order for the edging to be glued evenly, you need to mark in advance with a simple pencil its location. This will greatly speed up and simplify subsequent work and make its result perfect. For marking, a level and a long ruler (or another flat guide for drawing) are used. The greater the distance between two points when drawing lines, the less the likelihood of deviations.
Designers often use a border for zoning
An interesting approach that significantly speeds up the process of drawing lines is the use of guide fishing line. In this case, you can mark out an arbitrarily long wall in one step. However, such work requires at least three people: two to maintain the guide and one to draw.
Ribbon cutting. This step is very simple, but requires special care. After the surface is marked, measurements are made and pieces of the border tape for wallpaper are cut. If the length is chosen with a small margin, the process of combining the joints can be greatly simplified. Surplus can be carefully trimmed immediately after placement on the wall.
You can decorate the border yourself with decorative elements
Glue application. Glue on a border tape is applied with a brush or roller. The oiled edging is left for 5-10 minutes. This time can be used to brush the surface of the wall again and remove settled dust.
Drawing a fringing. The wallpaper border is neatly placed on the wall according to the markings made in advance. When gluing in the corners, the end of the tape should grab the adjacent wall. The next strip is lapped, the allowance is 5-10 mm. This avoids gaps. Do not make sudden movements and strong bends. Otherwise, the border may break.
Border and two types of wallpaper from one collection
After application, using a special roller (or clean cloth), air bubbles and excess glue are expelled from under the material. Next, excess glue is carefully removed with a cloth or sponge. After the entire perimeter of the room has been processed, the border glued to the wall should dry well. Drying time depends on the selected adhesive, but often up to 24 hours.
Border for wallpaper around the perimeter of openings
Highlighting door or window openings with decorative tape will be a spectacular decoration and complement to the overall design of the room. The main difficulty here is that the pieces of tape need to be connected at an angle of 45 degrees.
Example border for a stylized office
To get a perfect joint, it is necessary to place vertical and horizontal overlapping strips, one on top of the other. Immediately after that, attach a ruler along the line of the future joint (diagonally) and draw with a sharp knife, cutting both layers. Then bend the edges and remove the trim. After that, return the parts of the joint to its original position and carefully smooth it, while removing excess glue.
The selection and drawing of the border on the wall is a simple task, which even the one who does it for the first time can afford it. However, it is worth remembering that what in theory seems to be a new, original idea - in practice, can give a result far from expected. Therefore, it makes sense if not guided, then at least take into account well-known rules and recommendations of specialists.
How to glue the wallpaper border: step by step instructions
The pasting process is simple, your main task is the perfect evenness of the walls, where the border will be fixed.
You will need a building level and a pencil.
Proceed as follows:
- Measure in several places the desired height from the floor (of course, the same everywhere),
- Put dots in these places, and connect the lines with each other,
- The place is determined, which means that half the work is done,
- Roll a small roll along the wall and cut it in the right places,
- Lay the pieces with the pattern down, and put special glue on the back of the curb,
- You can fold the canvas with an accordion so that the side with glue is inside,
- Take the canvas in your left hand, straighten the first fold and attach it to the wall,
- Smoothing the border from the middle, move to the edges,
- Apply the canvas until it is completely stuck to the wall.
Each new part must be combined with the previous one. At the corners, borders are glued according to the type of wallpaper, that is, overlap. The allowance will be approximately one and a half centimeter
Well, if you purchased self-adhesive borders, this will speed up the process. If you have a regular border, the question arises of which glue to fix it on. Paper borders are glued to glue for the corresponding type of wallpaper, more dense can be glued to liquid nails or Titan glue.
Do-it-yourself border for wallpapers: do it yourself decor
If you decide to make a wallpaper border yourself, the most obvious way is to cut a strip from another type of wallpaper. Of course, you need to cut carefully and strictly along the line marked in advance. Any irregularity will be noticeable.
But there are more creative options for making borders. If its length is small, you can build a border from children's photos. For the room of a kid or teenager, this is a very original and touching option.
You need to make a strip of a certain width on which children's photos will be pasted. To make the border look aesthetically pleasing, print the photo in decorative frames so that they do not just muffle glued to each other.
As an alternative, decorative plaster or piece decor can be used for wallpaper borders.
Do-it-yourself border for wallpapers can be made from:
- Fragments of designer cardboard,
- Greeting card
- Textile fragments,
- Self adhesive film,
- Colored fluorescent paper.
And here the most daring ideas can be taken - the border can be laid out from the covers of old records, magazines, posters.
Wallpaper with a border in the interior: important points
There are some more useful tips that may come in handy before you get started.
Tips for note:
- Do not stick the border on the newly glued wallpaper, be patient for a couple of days in order to avoid unexpected troubles,
- Special glue dries quickly, because glue the border step by step,
- When slicing, make the slices a little longer so that the pattern can be matched.
A wide border of dark color distracts attention from pollution, which often happens at the bottom of the wall
The border serves as a stylish addition to the interior. It seems to be a small detail, and the room becomes more elegant.
The border-delimiter eliminates the need to use furniture as an umbrella. One glued strip visually divides the room into zones, and this, as a rule, looks convincing.
It is important not to miscalculate in the palette. Do not confuse cold and warm colors, such a change will literally hurt the eye.