What should be done so as not to doze off, and then not to wake up in a ditch, hospital or in the next world? The number of accidents when the driver fell asleep at the wheel is quite high. Tips for motorists to help overcome drowsiness over short distances and long distances. Surely you heard a lot of stories when the driver fell asleep at the wheel and died. Driving a car often causes drowsiness in the driver. This situation is very dangerous for the driver and his passengers, if any. Such carelessness can be expensive. If you fell asleep while driving, then the likelihood of an accident and an accident is very high.
How to determine that you are already falling asleep? You stop paying attention to the road and cars. You can’t remember the song you just played and the distance covered. It became too lazy to go and turn on the turn signals. Eyes begin to hurt and move like in a tunnel. You start to brake sharply and fall out of the strip. Often yawning and blinking slowly.
If you notice these signs, then you need to do something. Tips on how to stay awake while driving from truckers, car travelers, and experienced drivers.
How not to fall asleep while driving? How not to doze off on the road?
1. The main advice before traveling long distances is to be smart. On the eve of the trip you should sleep well and do not drink alcohol. Do not overestimate the capabilities of your body when driving.
2. Make uncomfortable travel conditions that prevent you from being relaxed and sleepy. To do this, lift the back of the chair straight.
3. Adjust climate control. Turn down the stove in winter, and turn on the air conditioning in the summer or open the window a little. The coolness will invigorate, and the heat will tend to sleep.
4. Stop and charge. Vigorously stretch your arms with a wave, squat, turn your head. This will help fight sleep while driving.
5. Turn on energetic music or radio. Sing along to the songs and move so as not to fall asleep while driving. Listen to audio books and educational podcasts.
6. Turn your attention to passing cars, pay attention to signs, enjoy the sights. Do not concentrate on running road markings or a strip of trees.
7. Wipe your face, neck and hands with a damp cloth. You can use water for this.
11. Remember yourself after a full meal when you want to sleep. Do not get too full, because it makes you want to take a nap.
12. Use pungent odors to combat sleep. Natural oils, citrus fruits and pine are suitable for this.
13. Stop every two hours. Stop at gas stations for a bite to eat, drink coffee, warm up and unwind.
14. If you really want to sleep while driving, then stop and take a nap for 15 minutes. After that, it will become much easier and less sleepy. A longer sleep can cause a phase of prolonged sleep.
15. How not to fall asleep at night while driving? At night, turn on the light in the cabin, which will help fight the driver with drowsiness.
16. Drink more water. The body will begin to pump fluid through itself and will try to get it out of itself.
17. You can remove shoes and socks for a while. This foot massage invigorates, as does the cooling of bare feet.
19. Warm up right behind the wheel. Move your neck in different directions. Take a deep breath to fill your lungs with oxygen. Give yourself a few slaps in the face to cheer up.
20. Drink a couple of pills that are designed to combat sleep while driving. They are based on taurine, caffeine and vitamins.
And what kind of life hacks and tricks do you use in order not to fall asleep while driving?
How to understand that you are falling asleep
If you are in the vehicle alone, it will be difficult to recognize the moment of falling asleep.
- If you notice how you blink, you should be on your guard, as this is the first symptom. Usually a person does not notice his blinks, but he does it every 10 - 15 seconds.
- If you have identified the first symptom, multiply 15 by 5. You will not find the answer to this problem or will look for too long if you have reached an extreme degree of fatigue.
- Hallucinations are the most serious and obvious sign, which is clearly difficult not to notice. It can be fencing posts running across the road, the feeling of a trip around the city while you are in the forest.
How does a passenger understand that the driver is falling asleep
The passenger can significantly help the driver during the trip, as he will be able to control his level of fatigue. From the outside it is much easier to determine the moment of falling asleep, it is enough to conduct a dialogue. Trivial questions about how you feel or how you feel have the same trivial answer that a person doesn’t even think about - "normal."
We pronounce this phrase automatically. In order to be able to determine the moment when the driver falls asleep, it is better to ask him about how much to go when the nearest gas station is, what he ate for breakfast, etc.
The phenomenon of the meaninglessness of simple questions is easily explained. The human brain is capable, even with extreme fatigue, of generating a simple answer to an easy question.
Effective methods against falling asleep while driving
To cheer up for a while and get the opportunity to complete the trip without incident, you should use the following tips and tricks. So what to do in order not to fall asleep? Let us examine which methods are most effective and which are short-lived.
- Going on a long journey, be sure to bring along a passenger-interlocutor. A meaningful conversation will not let you get hung up on the monotonous control of the machine and lose control.
- Since just listening to your favorite audio recordings doesn’t help everyone, sing along as loud as possible. Loud singing activates the lungs, oxygen will enter the bloodstream in greater quantities and the body will become awake. Brain activity, in turn, is stimulated when trying to remember words and motive.
- It is much nicer to sleep in the warmth, so change the climate settings in the car, open the window. An open window will give a greater result, since fresh air will be an additional invigorating factor, but the method will help if several kilometers remain to the place of arrival.
- Knowing about the upcoming long trip in advance, take a course of drugs to improve brain activity. Dosages should be minimal and strictly according to the instructions.
- Stop on the side of the road and do exercises, run a couple of hundred meters from the car and back. Such a trick will give you 10-15 km of grace.
- Make sure that you are not comfortable in the driver's seat if you notice that you want to sleep. So your body cannot relax, and you cannot fall asleep.
- Make coffee according to any recipe, add a glass of energetic or cola, lie down to sleep for 20 minutes and you will wake up rested and alert. Such a drink is much more effective than strong coffee. Caffeine replaces adenosine receptors and does not allow them to participate in the formation of a drowsy state. Adenosine is eliminated from the body after sleep, therefore, the driver will not feel helpless after taking caffeine and the rollback of the invigorating effect will be minimal. Previously, this method is best tested at home.
- Small snacks in the form of nuts, crackers or sweets can distract the brain from monotonous driving. The activity of the body is activated under the influence of additional tasks. It is necessary to monitor the feeling of satiety, because it causes drowsiness.
- If 15 km to the final destination, and you fall asleep, wash yourself. Use cold water and do not forget to wet your hair. Using a regular wet towel will not give the desired effect.
- Concentrate on an additional task, try to perceive the surrounding information consciously. Define the models of cars that pass by, count their colors, count road signs or poles. Constantly change the control object so that the task does not become monotonous.
- Snuff affects the body more invigoratingly than a regular cigarette. In this case, the principle of exposure to the organ of scent is activated. Liquid ammonia is a more reasonable alternative to snuff, since frequent use of the latter is addictive.
- A similar effect will have a lemon, which can be sniffed every 10 minutes or cut in the form of a flower and hang like a flavoring. You can also eat a small piece.
- A short sleep will allow you to deceive the body if you do not have time to plunge into deep sleep.
- Electronic fatigue indicators are equipped with some cars. These systems analyze the manner of controlling the machine and movement, monitor the eyes and position of the head through sensors and warn the driver if a decrease in concentration was noticed behind him. Such systems can be purchased separately, visually they have much in common with a Bluetooth headset.
- The fight against drowsiness is possible through plant tinctures: ginseng, pink rhodiola, dimian, yohimbe, kutuaba. Due to the individual effect, it is better to test the drug in advance and at home.
Along with effective methods and tricks, there are tips that are more likely to be classified as myths, and if they help, then in isolated cases.
- Energy can have unpredictable effects. The desire to fall asleep really disappears, but the brain does not turn on in the work. As a result, external vigor borders on the general inhibition of the body.
- Cigarettes in an extreme degree of fatigue do not invigorate, on the contrary. The gaze is not focused, and for a while the person is in prostration.
- Coffee also does not help, because the brain is still not activated.
- Listening to loud music is not the most reliable way not to fall asleep, since with an extreme degree of fatigue a person is able to fall asleep to any sounds.
Lie down and sleep, in fact, the only effective method in the fight against falling asleep while driving. It is better to stop moving in time and set aside time for rest than wake up in the hospital if you are lucky. As for the length of the journey, truckers can focus on a maximum of 400 km per day.
For drivers of cars, this figure increases, but even an experienced driver will not be able to master 800 - 1,200 km and remain in a sane state. Each driver has an individual daily upper limit, it is better for beginners not to exceed the limit of 500 km.