Onigiri is a fairly common dish in Japan, which is made from fresh rice. Along with sushi, it is very popular. But to consider onigiri one of the types of land is a mistake, since it is a completely independent dish with its own history. But in Japanese restaurants you can find onigiri sushi.
These rice koloboks appeared in the 10th century during the Heian period, then they were taken by peasants with them in the field as a snack, and also the soldiers ate them during the campaign. You will not be surprised to learn that the main ingredient in the onigiri recipe is rice. Japanese onigiri look like white volumetric triangles or small balls having a substrate in the form of Nori algae. Most often, the recipe for these triangular koloboks is prepared with a filling, but you can do without it, since rice is important for this dish, not the filling.
Not everyone knows how to make onigiri on their own, but cooking onigiri at home can be quick and easy, just know the step-by-step cooking process with a photo. Fortunately, today you can buy in any supermarket special rice for sushi and nori seaweed. Even at home, this dish is tasty and satisfying, and is perfect as a snack.
How to cook rice for onigiri
Properly cooked rice for onigiri is already half the cooking success.
- For Japanese cuisine, choose round-grain rice, as it contains more starch, which means it will not be crumbly.
- Also, in the grain, all husks and black spots should be absent.
- Rinse thoroughly before cooking. The Japanese washed it seven times, no less and no more. Pour it into a bowl and pour water into it, then rinse the rice and drain the water. Repeat this procedure seven times until the water becomes clear. Apparently, among the Japanese, this number has some magical meaning, but nevertheless, for the eighth time, the water is indeed transparent. If you don’t like this ritual, you can just put rice in a sieve and rinse it under running water.
- Pour clean water into pure rice and let the croup lie down a little, about half an hour. Usually for cooking rice, it is placed in cold water and then brought to a boil, while the Japanese cook differently. They first boil water, and already pour rice into the boiling water, tightly close the lid.
- There should be a little more water than rice, that is, it should cover it a centimeter.
- During cooking, steam should not leave the pan; first, rice must be cooked over medium heat, after 5 minutes of boiling, turn down the heat, and cook until cooked.
- Once rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let stand a little longer under the closed lid.
Toppings for onigiri
You can choose any filling that you like.
- But the Japanese most prefer salted or salted salmon. Salmon is especially good with cucumbers.
- Since Japan is a country rich in a variety of seafood, any fish (tuna, eel, salmon, trout, shrimp, caviar) is usually used in the filling.
- In addition to fish, you can add meat or sausages to the filling.
- Pickled cucumbers and pickled apricot fruits, also called umeboshi among the Japanese, are also popular.
- The fillings for onigiri are very diverse, you can put chicken and vegetables.
Cooking “Rice Buns"
We bring to your attention instructions on how to make onigiri yourself at home.
- Since rice is ready, we proceed to the formation of rice balls. The cooking process and the name of these rice meatballs are inextricably linked. Onigiri in translation from Japanese means to compress. So in order to create balls and triangles, still warm rice will need to be squeezed a little in the palm of your hand. But before that, put the stuffing in the grits. Just do not squeeze the rice too much, otherwise it will lose its taste.
- Wrap the resulting kolobok with a strip of nori seaweed, sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds, and lay beautifully on a plate. If you don’t eat “koloboks” right away, then you should not wrap them in nori seaweed, otherwise the nori will simply soften and spread.
- If the “balls” seem fresh to you, it’s okay if you add a little salt, although in real onigiri salt and any other seasonings are not used.
- For decoration use sesame or caviar, as well as people with special imagination, create little rice men.
Although this dish is easy to prepare, but it is very tasty, you can cook onigiri by the arrival of friends, or just for a snack. This Japanese dish is usually served with sake. Enjoy your meal!
Cooking with eda offline
Cooking with eda offline
- Uncategorized (1)
- Sandwiches (33)
- Second courses (322)
- Baking (421)
- Side dishes (82)
- Mushroom dishes (60)
- Desserts (150)
- Snacks (352)
- Hot Snacks (133)
- Cold Appetizers (86)
- Meat Dishes (338)
- Note (58)
- Drinks (25)
- National Cuisines (12)
- Vegetable dishes (168)
- First courses (131)
- Holidays (153)
- New Year (101)
- Easter (16)
- Christmas (9)
- Halloween (21)
- Fish Dishes (96)
- Salads (170)
- Sauces (26)
- Dough for (54)
Recipe for Shugaring Pasta
The number of ingredients is calculated per procedure.
- 6 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
We mix everything in a metal bowl, put on a slow fire. The mixture must be constantly stirred so that it does not burn. After a few minutes, it will darken and become golden. A sweet caramel smell should come from the paste. After that, add lemon juice. Remove from heat, let cool, but not completely. Otherwise, the mass will harden, and then it will be very difficult to knead it.
If, using the same recipe, take 1 kg. sugar, 8 tbsp. l water, 7 tbsp. l lemon juice, then you get a six-month supply of paste for shugaring. True, he is preparing a little differently.
All ingredients must be mixed in a metal bowl and put on a strong fire. The mass must be constantly stirred so that the sugar does not burn. After a few minutes, the fire must be reduced, cover the dishes and simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes.
Sugar should completely melt, mix with water and juice, become liquid. It needs to be mixed again, left for another 10 minutes.
When the mass begins to boil, we detect another 10 minutes. During this time, the composition should darken, become homogeneous, and also acquire a sweet caramel smell. When the sugar begins to foam, measure out another 5 minutes and remove from heat. Pour the hot mass into a plastic container with thick walls, let it cool. This mass cools for about 3 hours.
Store shugaring paste in a dark, dry place. Before the next hair removal, it is enough just to slightly warm the mass in a water bath.
Lemon juice can cause irritation on sensitive skin, so citric acid in the same proportions may be included in the recipe as a substitute.
A shugaring recipe may also include tincture of walnut and honey. Honey, as you know, has anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties. Walnut tincture effectively destroys hair follicles.
Be sure to check the mixture for readiness. To do this, take a small piece of caramel mass, try rolling it into a ball.
If the mass is malleable, does not spread in the hands, you did everything right. If the mixture is too hard, add 1 tbsp. l water. Put in a water bath. When it melts, mix it well. Then remove from heat, let cool again.
Too liquid means that the recipe was not followed. Such a mass for hair removal is unsuitable.
How to do shugaring at home
Immediately before applying the sugar mass to the skin, the paste must be properly kneaded to make it plastic.
Take a small piece of caramel, about the size of a quail egg, and start to knead it. If the paste is difficult to knead, add one drop of hot water.
When the caramel mixture becomes lighter, and the threads, when stretched, acquire a pearly shine, the paste is ready for use.
Sugar balls ideally remove short hairs about 2–4 mm long. Longer pasta simply cannot completely “capture”.
Shugaring legs and arms
Roll a small ball from the mashed piece of caramel, stick it to the skin. Roll it against hair growth. Wait a couple of minutes. During this time, the mass envelops each hair. You will understand this by the sensation of tightness and pulling hairs. Then, with a sharp movement, remove the caramel from the skin in the direction of hair growth.
Together with the mass, the hairs should also leave. Mash a piece again, apply it on the skin again. So you need to do on the entire surface of the legs or arms. When the piece is completely in the hair, pinch off a new portion and blind the ball again.
It is very important that the movement is sharp, strictly parallel to the surface of the skin - so the sensations from hair removal will be less painful.
For easy removal of hair from the legs with your free hand, you can slightly stretch the skin.
After the shugaring procedure, it is enough to rinse the sugar mixture with hot water and apply a moisturizer to the skin.
Complete hair removal with caramel paste will take approximately 1.5 hours. But the result will pleasantly surprise you: delicate and smooth skin without irritation.
When you master enough dexterity, and the sensations will be almost painless, perform shugaring of other, more sensitive areas (bikinis, armpits).
To remove unwanted armpit hair at home, take small pieces of caramel. It is also necessary to process small areas of the skin, as the armpit area is very sensitive.
The hair in the armpits grows up, so the ball on the skin needs to be rolled down, and torn, respectively, up.
The first time underarm shugaring can take about half an hour and be quite painful. This is due to the fact that the hair follicles are very strong and do not “want” to leave the follicle. But over time, the hair weakens, and the procedure will take no more than 5 minutes.
For shugaring the bikini zone at home, the hairs should be no more than 5 mm long., Otherwise the procedure will be painful for your body.
For convenience, place one foot on the edge of the bathtub or on a chair. Take a small ball of caramel. Mash it and apply to the skin. Depilate the bikini area with small patches of skin, about 2 cm by 2 cm, so that the hairs are removed the first time. Smooth the mass against hair growth and, gently pulling the skin, sharply tear off the caramel in the direction of hair growth.
To hold the mass on the skin, so that it better adheres to the hairs, you need no more than half a minute. Even better, if you cope with each area of the skin in about 10-15 seconds. The longer you hold the mass on the skin of this delicate area, the more painful it will be to remove hair later.
For the first time, individual hairs may remain. But you do not need to treat the skin until all the hairs have been removed, otherwise you may get redness. Better move on to the next area of the skin, and untreated areas can be processed later.
After the procedure, rinse the caramel with warm water and apply a soothing cream “after hair removal”.
The second bikini shugaring procedure can only be done in 10 days. And if you completely switch to shugaring and refuse a razor, then the hairs will grow more slowly, and the procedure can be done much less often.
Unwanted facial hairs are also ideally removed by the sugar mass. On the face are usually the shortest hairs, so the process is less painful.
It must be removed according to the same principle as on other parts of the body. Smear against hair growth, tear off in the direction of their growth. After the shugaring procedure, for several days, refuse to go to the solarium, otherwise you risk getting burns and pigmentation.
Honey hair removal at home
Honey depilation is based on the same principle as caramel hair removal, only slightly different ingredients are used in the preparation of the paste:
- Natural honey - 200 g. You can use absolutely any honey: linden, buckwheat, clover honey.
- Freshly squeezed juice of three lemons.
Mix honey and lemon juice, bring to a boil over low heat. Do not use unenameled iron utensils. After that, put the honey to cool. Honey hair removal at home is carried out using the same technology as caramel hair removal. Please note that hair removal is strictly prohibited for people prone to allergic reactions.
Contraindications to shugaring
The main contraindication to shugaring is diabetes. For the body of a healthy person, this does not pose any danger, but for sick people it can turn into a complication. Carrying out depilation at home, you need to be careful with citric acid, which is part of the paste: it can cause severe irritation, especially in the bikini area.
There are certain restrictions under which the shugaring of a house should be delayed for a while. You do not need to do the procedure if the day before you were exposed to prolonged exposure to sunlight or visited a solarium. It is not recommended to do hair removal on the eve of a visit to the beach or solarium.
If there is damage to the skin, do not epilate until the wound heals.