Few people in our country at least once in their life did not try to glue their own wallpaper and fringing to them. Of course, for such an important business, you can, having the desire and the opportunity, hire a team of craftsmen and a designer, and simply return one day to a beautiful house that smells of fresh repair. However, it will be even more interesting to feel “on your own skin” all the delights of choosing materials, the desired shade of wallpaper, repair work.
Learning to glue a border
Almost everyone knows how to glue wallpaper with their own hands, but few know how to paste a border on a wallpaper. Some mistakenly think that decorating the wallpaper with a border is simple and easy, but this is not entirely true.
Materials and Tools
Nothing special is needed for the border sticker, all the accessories that helped to glue paper rolls on the walls are useful. So, for the design of walls with borders should be "at hand":
- tape measure and scissors
- a thick, soft pencil of neutral color or colored chalk,
- construction level of sufficient length
- special glue, which will provide a strong bond of the edging to surfaces, it is sold in small banks or in tubes,
- a flat brush, its width should be slightly narrower than the width of the edging,
- roller for rolling glued edging,
- if the border is planned to be glued to the ceiling, you will need a ladder,
- brush for applying adhesive.
The border in the bedroom
Calculation of the required amount of edging
Calculating the required amount is quite simple - for this you need to know the perimeter of the room, that is, measure the short and long walls, add two numbers and multiply the indicators by two. As a result, you get the footage of the edging that you need to purchase. If the plans include decorating the windows and doors with a trim, the openings also need to be measured, and the resulting amounts added to the perimeter of the room. By purchasing borders, it is better to be safe and buy two or three spare meters of tape.
The whole process is carried out in six simple steps:
- First, you need to draw a baseline along the wall, in chalk or pencil. It is desirable to make the lines almost invisible, you can apply them with strokes. If there is no level, the baseline can be marked by measuring the same distance from the floor, at the desired height. All points obtained are then joined by a pale straight line.
- Next, determine the position of the edging. If it will be near the ceiling, then it must be mounted as high as possible. Sometimes the border is attached at a height of 90-100 cm from the floor, so you can revitalize the walls, distinguish between two types of wallpaper, visually make the room wider and slightly reduce its height.
- Rolls of edging should be rolled along the walls, cut into lengths of a meter (so it will be more convenient to work with them) and apply adhesive to them with a special soft brush. Then the tapes should be folded in half or accordion, with the side glued in - so they are thoroughly saturated with the composition and glued to the walls more firmly.
- Climbing the stairs (if the edging is mounted under the ceiling), the folded curb should be taken in the left hand, straightened and applied to the wall along the previously outlined line. Next, the strip should be smoothed out with a roller, to the edges from the middle, while removing air bubbles and excess glue from under it. So, moving along the perimeter, from the corner, you need to attach all the stripes of the curb. If there is a pattern, it must be combined. At the corners, the strips are glued using the “butt” method.
- The corner joints of the edging (on window or doorways) must be formed in this way: overlap each other with an overlap, leaving an allowance of 15 cm, then draw a diagonal line and cut the vertical border of the edging along it. Then bend the line diagonally, bring it to the longitudinal strip.
- The glued borders should be treated again with a roller, carefully ironing the joints and pressing hard on the tapes.
That's all, the process of working with the border for wallpaper is completed. After the wallpaper and the border are firmly glued, it is important not to open the windows and vents during the day so that they do not begin to peel off from the walls due to drafts. The result of framed walls can be seen in the photo.
Decorating a room with a stylish border is not difficult, it is quite possible to do it yourself, quickly enough. Even an inexperienced master, the one who holds a roller and a brush in his hands almost the first time in his life, will be able to paste a border on a wallpaper. The main thing is to follow the instructions, apply high-quality adhesive, carefully study the photos and videos offered here.
If you do home repair using wallpapering, then borders and friezes will help you transform the room in a magical way. They are used both in the traditional way, and as a separator between strips of different or monophonic wallpapers or monophonic or in two colors of painted walls.
Borders are self-adhesive and require the application of glue on them. Before buying, decide which type is best for the wallpaper that you purchased.
Borders can be glued at any height to create clear dividing zones. The only requirement is strict horizontalness.
How to glue borders on the wallpaper
Otherwise, the entire finish will go to smarka. To avoid this trouble, you just need to cheat a little: use the drive line. When gluing, be very careful not to curl or bend. This can greatly damage the quality of the finish.
- Border glue tends to dry out very quickly, therefore, glue the walls alternately, it is impossible to glue the whole room with a curb at one time
- the border is glued only to fully dried wallpaper. To see if you have chosen the right place for the border strip, first glue it on masking tape and only then on glue
- symmetrical patterns are often depicted on the wallpaper, they can be used as guides for borders
- cut the borders a little longer than the required length, this will allow you to trim them exactly to size.
- separate the self-adhesive border from the base
- glue it directly on the wall, because the glue seizes almost immediately, because it will be almost impossible to change the position of the curb.
- glue brush or large paint brush
- assembly table
- Wall sticker
- spirit level
- wallpaper brush
- self-adhesive or simple borders
- glue for borders
Technology for applying glue to the curb:
- cut borders into strips of the required length
- apply glue evenly from the middle to the edges
- for convenience, fold the border with an accordion to easily transfer it to the place of gluing
- wipe off the glue from the countertop with a damp sponge,
- allow the table to dry before applying glue to the next strip.
Technology for gluing a wall border:
- mark the level of the drive line around the entire perimeter of the room
- stick the strip of the border so that the excess goes to the adjacent wall
- smooth the curb with a brush to remove air bubbles and excess glue
- cut the excess border tape almost to the junction of the walls, remove it and smooth the strip of the curb again, gently smooth it with a brush and firmly glue the “valve” bent to the adjacent wall
- glue the next strip of the border, overlapping the previous one and aligning the pattern on the overlap
- draw a line with a pencil along the fold of a new strip, pressing it into a corner
- separate the border and cut a piece along the line
- smooth the border with a wallpaper brush and get a good corner butt joint
- stick the subsequent stripes. As you work, wipe off excess glue from the curb and wall with a clean, damp sponge
The article was written by the company BEAUTIFUL HOUSES specially for the construction portal www.stroi-baza.ru.
180016, Pskov, st. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 26
Phone: (8112) 72-42-89
Fax: (8112) 72-42-89
The article used photos from the site http://www.hicar.ru, the link is inactive.
Added: 09/07/2015 15:03:15
The transition of the color palette on the walls looks very original, besides it is practical, since the wallpaper below gets dirty more than the top. Therefore, the bottom of the wall should be darker. But unfortunately, there are no such wallpapers, therefore it is the wallpaper border that will help to achieve this effect.
As a rule, the border is glued around the perimeter either at the top or in the lower third.
If you do it from above, then the room takes on the most comfortable look, and in another case, there is a color separation. Please note that in the central part the decorative strip is never glued.
Occasionally, the very bottom of the wall is bordered.
How to glue the border on the wallpaper
This is usually used when you need to hide some flaws. By the way, the wallpaper border glued vertically looks very unusual. This is done in order to highlight a specific area of the wall or to frame doors, windows, furniture, mirrors and so on.
We live in a world not only of technological progress, but also of design, so we are now producing wallpapers, which include the corresponding borders. Many manufacturers produce wallpapers and borders of the same pattern, but with different calibers, that is, a large pattern is on the wallpaper, and a small one on the borders. It is imperative that the combination with the rest of the interior is perfect.
Borders for wallpaper are divided into several types:
- To size. Roll length - 5-10 m, and width - from 10 cm to 1 m.
- By combination.
- On the use of glue. There are self-adhesive borders that are protected by a special film with an adhesive base, they just need to be moistened with water and borders that require the application of an adhesive solution.
- By texture, the types of borders are embossed and smooth.
- In appearance: plain, with a pattern (various), luminous. The latter is the most interesting, since it accumulates light during the day, which then glows in the dark. And also lace and "gold".
- On the subject. For example, for the kitchen - fruits, vegetables and the like.
Scope of application
The wallpaper border is used in almost any room: bedroom, living room, hall, kitchen, office and so on. And everywhere it is appropriate. At this point, they even produce a border that does not allow moisture to pass through and use it in the bathroom.
Many people use decorative strips on furniture, mirrors, and other items. It looks quite extraordinary and attractive.
Simple selection rules
If you want borders to fulfill their purpose, you must adhere to certain rules. First of all, it is necessary to follow the classifications of decorative strips, which provide for a certain type for each individual room. Next, you need to pay attention to one-style.
It is also necessary to understand that gluing borders should be done on completely dry wallpaper, and if gluing is done with an adhesive solution, make sure that the glue does not protrude from the borders of the borders. If you use strips with a pattern, then you need to glue them from left to right, and not vice versa.
In order for you to figure out how to choose a border, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the basic rules. Of course, the store will offer you the widest assortment and even advise what to purchase. But unfortunately, not every seller has a competent approach to their business.
There are two types of the most successful combination that designers around the world adhere to. This is a combination of color and the presence (absence) of the image. For example, if your wallpaper is light pink with an abstract pattern, then the strip should be darker or white, either with or without the same abstraction. If the wallpaper is plain, you can pick up any ornament to them, but the color must certainly be a little darker. Make sure that you do not get too flashy and bright appearance, because it looks at least vulgar.
To make everything look harmonious, get borders of the same quality as wallpaper. A vinyl strip is glued to the vinyl base, paper to paper. The texture of both plays a very important role. This is reflected not only externally, but also affects durability.
After you have bought borders for wallpaper, do not rush to glue them immediately. First check every centimeter and make sure that there are no flaws throughout the strip.
Then use a brush to clean the surface of excess dust.
This is necessary so that the sizing is uniform.
And in order to keep the border tighter, wait until the wallpaper dries out as much as possible. If you bought a border that needs to be glued with glue, then buy acrylic-based glue. Firstly, it does not need to be diluted with water, since it is available in finished form, and secondly, the tube is equipped with a special applicator that has the shape of a brush or brush. Yes, and acrylic glue holds perfectly.
Now inspect the carefully dried wallpaper, evaluate the selected perimeter again and, if necessary, clean the surface. If any contamination is found, wash them with soapy water.
Before applying the adhesive, cut the strips into pieces of the length that is necessary and moisten with a little water. Then you need to smear with glue and leave to soak for five minutes. Then take, directly, for sizing. Sometimes some types of borders are glued butt to wallpaper. These recommendations are appropriate for a foam base, a two-layer embossed paper base, and a high-relief border.
It can be very difficult to glue the border in the corners, so pay special attention to this area. In the corners of the strip should overlap. At the end of the work, make sure that there are no traces of glue on the wallpaper and stripes. If you bought a self-adhesive base, check the quality on a small piece, because such a base does not always meet the requirements. To be sure, you can put a little glue on this surface.
You can choose a border based on the cost of the material. Let's say the cheapest is a paper base. In principle, paper is easily glued and peeled, but is considered to be short-lived. Yes, and you will not be able to wash it.
The vinyl base is quite high-quality and inexpensive, just washes and glues, and is also quite durable. Acrylic borders are an analogue of vinyl with the only difference being that an acrylic emulsion is applied to the surface here.
Video on how to paste wallpaper with a border
Alternating wallpaper stripes vertically
The combination of 2 paired colors of wallpaper can be expressed in alternating vertical alternation of different stripes of wallpaper at equal intervals. To glue wallpaper according to this option, you need to be very careful about the choice of paired shades for wallpaper. The principles for selecting paired colors for wallpaper can be as follows:
Necessary tools for wallpapering the walls.
- Use shades within 1 color (for example, green is a lighter and darker shade).
- Harmonious colors. For yellow, for example, it will be orange, egg, lime, cream, etc.
- Contrast colors (green - red, lilac - yellow, orange - aqua).
You can start the alternation using a smooth transition on one of the walls. This will eliminate sharp color changes, but get a very original effect.
For an oblong room, you can use the Symmetry technique. Background wallpapers should be lighter in color, and they paste over almost the entire room except for the center of 2 opposite walls. In the central part of the walls there will be a wide panel of wallpapers with an additional bright shade and a different texture. It is up to the size of the panel that the room will be perceived visually much less.
Somewhat reminiscent of the previous “Asymmetry” technique. In this case, glue the wallpaper on the 1st wall should be similar to the method described above. It is important to know how to glue the wallpaper on the opposite side. Bright strips of wallpaper are glued on it, starting with an angular arrangement. This approach to sticker wallpaper will visually increase the width of the room, slightly reducing its length.
Horizontal combination of wallpaper with a different pattern
Scheme of trimming extra centimeters of paper stripes.
Alternating the wallpaper horizontally, it is not necessary to adhere to the standard 1/3 ratio, pasting the bottom of the wall surface with a piece of meter length.
It is recommended in rooms with a large ceiling height to leave a wider panel of wallpaper below.
Connect imagination and experiment with the choice of colors and textures of materials. In the kitchen, a combination of different wall finishes (paint, tile, wallpaper) is welcome. In the bathroom, for obvious reasons, the choice is not so wide (panels, tiles, paint). In living rooms, the choice will have to be limited to different types of wallpaper.
- Today, a very popular technique is the emphasis on one zone. It is used to give a particular element of the interior increased attention in the overall composition of the whole design. For example, the selection of the wall area behind the TV. The main background in the room can be wallpaper with a pattern, then the highlighted area is decorated with wallpaper without a pattern.
- In the bedroom, it is also permissible to highlight an accent wall: often the wall located behind the bed is often glued with brighter wallpaper with ornament.
- Разделение по горизонтали — хороший альтернативный вариант вместо вертикального чередования. Нижнюю часть оклеивают фактурными обоями, а верхнюю — текстильными. Шов маскируют за планкой, молдингом или бордюром. When there is no idea how to properly paste wallpaper with a border, it makes sense to use the previous methods of gluing paired wallpapers.
- The patchwork technique looks original in any interior style. For its implementation will require different rolls of wallpaper. Equal pieces are cut out of them, which are then randomly glued to the wall.
- The protrusions and niches can be distinguished by material in contrasting shades. A special effect will be achieved against a colorful background.
Examples of design with different wallpapers of a children's room
Wallpaper labeling scheme.
How to paste wallpaper in the baby’s room using a combination of wallpapers?
- You can use the technique of wallpaper inserts: all the surfaces of the walls are glued with the same wallpaper, and bright heroes from animated films that form whole scenes are pasted on top of the background.
- If you glue wallpaper with a border in a child’s room, it’s best to glue a border with drawings at the level of the baby’s eyes, then he will be able to look at funny pictures with pleasure.
- Another interesting option in the child’s room: the upper part is made monophonic (painted or pasted), and strips of special washing wallpapers with carved edges are glued to the bottom at a distance of 45 cm from the floor. Such decorative wide wallpaper rolls are expensive. But you can find such a way out of the situation - to glue only the parts of the walls visible to the eye where there is no furniture.
Today, almost all wallpapers can be found suitable border.
What is important to consider when buying a wallpaper border, and how to glue the border according to all the rules?
Wallpaper borders are narrow strips of wallpaper used for decorative edging of the pasted area. The border serves as a horizontal embossment of the surface and the visual perception of the height of the room will depend on its size (the wider the strip, the lower the ceiling height will look). The size of the border is 10-20 cm wide.
The difference between the border and the frieze - the strip of the latter in width is more than 20 cm.
For which types of wallpaper do borders exist?
Border sticker sequence.
- For paper. They are easy to glue and easy to remove. Such wallpapers will be a great option for those who often make repairs. This is due to the fact that such strips are not very durable, instantly lose their brightness, and they can not be washed (especially with the use of detergents).
- For vinyl. Their practicality should be noted: they are easy to wash, clean, they retain their original color for a long time. Therefore, they can easily be involved in the design of a bathroom, toilet, kitchen, hallway.
- For textile. They include 2 layers: a paper bottom and a woven fabric top.
- For acrylic. These are analogs of vinyl. The main difference is based on the applied acrylic emulsion. Cheaper than vinyl.
An unusual effect is created by colorless borders made of artificial materials. They are used paired with wallpaper for painting or glued to plain painted walls, and then rolled up with water-based paint simultaneously with the wallpaper.
The glued border on the wallpaper creates a cozy and warm atmosphere in the room.
Finding a border is a responsible business. It is easy to find suitable borders for wallpaper. Surely already in the wallpaper store will offer a choice of several alternative options. This can be done from a beautiful catalog, the pages of which present samples of wallpaper and stripes in harmony with them.
Matching the border to the wallpaper canvas. Manufacturers limit the choice to 2 types of combinations of borders and wallpaper - according to the shade and presence of the pattern. For example, a dark green background with floral ornaments can be supplemented with a white or light green stripe with or without the presence of a similar pattern of twigs and flowers.
For plain wallpaper to pick a border of any color and with a different pattern will not be difficult.
Sometimes factories provide for the combination of various patterns on borders and wallpapers. But this should be done with great care in the presence of artistic taste. Otherwise, the wall may turn out to be too colorful.
Sometimes there are proposals from manufacturers when wallpaper with borders is made with the same pattern, but on a different scale. For example, on the wallpaper, the leaves can look large, and on the strip - miniature. It is important that the wall covering has a color consonance with other elements of the environment. Therefore, it is so necessary to accurately select the shade of the edging or the wallpaper itself.
Wall surface locations
The scheme for wallpapering the walls.
Wallpaper borders can be located at the top and bottom of the wall. In the first arrangement, a decorative edging is obtained, giving the room more comfort. In the second position, the border strip acts as a delimiter between different types of wallpaper. The border is not glued in the center, because in this case the room begins to seem much lower. Optimal consider location at a distance of 1/3 from the floor surface.
Less often do the edging at the very bottom of the floor. This technique is applicable in a situation where too short strips of wallpaper are cut off and the gap needs to be filled with something.
Borders for wallpaper can be glued both horizontally and vertically (to visually highlight a specific part or section of the wall). Of these, framing is performed for wall panels, photo wallpapers, interior doors, furniture and other accessories.
The history of the use of borders has been around for several decades. In addition to the fact that they are used in decorative quality, the strips can perfectly hide all sorts of flaws and wall defects. Also, if during the operation of the wallpaper, cracks, dirt appeared or your child simply showed his artistic talents on the wallpaper, you can hide all this behind the borders, which can be used in the most unexpected ways. Thus, you “kill two birds with one stone”: cover the spots and update the interior.
Gluing borders to the wall
You can paste a border on the wallpaper in several ways:
- Often, the border is glued directly to the wallpaper. But in this case, you will have to wait for the latter to dry completely in order to get the best result. It is preferable to use a special acrylic-based border glue. It is not necessary to dilute it with water, since it is released ready for use. The tube with glue has an applicator with a brush or brush. The glue is applied to the previously cut strips of the border, after which the base is moistened with water. The glue should be absorbed within 4-5 minutes.
- It happens that the border is glued back to back with wallpaper. This gluing method is recommended for wallpapers with a high relief (embossed wallpaper is two-layer paper or coated with foamed vinyl). In this case, the border can be glued with ordinary glue for the type of wallpaper used.
- Another way to glue a border. Around the entire perimeter of the room at a designated height, a horizontal line is marked with a simple pencil. After that, the upper component (above the curb) of the finish is glued. The lower edge is cut along the marked line with a metal ruler and a sharp knife. A border pre-impregnated with glue is glued butt to the edge of the wallpaper, while its lower edge of 1.5-2 cm is left not pressed against the wall. The canvases of the bottom panel wallpaper are planted under the curb and cut along the lower edge. The segment is removed, and the border is glued to the wall completely.
General recommendations for gluing wallpapers and borders
First decide where the border is to be glued: at the baseboard or under the ceiling, 1/3 of the wall or around the door and window.
It will not be amiss to make sure that the place of the future sticker is not contaminated. You can use a soapy solution to wash the surface. A clean wall is the key to successful and quality work.
There should be no voids, holes, cracks and other defects at the place of gluing of the future border. Since most of the borders are made of loose paper, sooner or later all the bumps will become noticeable. Holes should be puttied, traces of paint, glue and other stains should be erased. The glue is applied to an already prepared surface.
You can buy a self-adhesive border, but you should not count on the fact that it will hold perfectly. Lubricate with glue for greater reliability it does not hurt. When applying the curb to the surface of the wall, you need to carefully smooth it and remove excess glue.
Sticking the border in the corner, strive to lay the end of the border on the adjacent wall. Glue another strip with an overlap on the previous one. There is no gap in the corner.
Pasting interior doors or windows
Pasting windows or doors with stripes will add more decorativeness to the overall look of the room. There is one difficulty in connecting the strips: they need to be cut very precisely and connected to the mustache (observe an angle of 45 °).
Try to choose strips so that there are no patterns, large patterns or colors at the joints. Overlap the strips at the junction and use a diagonal ruler and a sharp knife to cut through both strips. Remove the line from the horizontal curb. Bend the edge of the same border and remove a section of the vertical border. Put the horizontal edge back, press and smooth the seam.
The use of borders is optional, but desirable. Especially when there are 2 border zones in the surface finish of the walls. The selection and use of borders should be approached competently and carefully, since the decorative frame can narrow and expand the room visually.