- What is a knockout punch:
- Fizuha: developing speed and explosive power
- KO Stats
- Battle Stats Sites
- Influence of own weight on a knockout punch in boxing
- Black Belt Street Fights Knockout Statistics
- Methodology of Dmitry Kostovarov
- How to make a hit stronger
- How to make a hit faster
- Physiology of shock motion
- How to beat with your fist
- How to kick
- Boxing Timing
- Battle psychology
- Where to beat
What is a knockout punch
Before moving on to the basic exercises for staging a knockout punch, let's define the basic concepts. So that we have one common understanding. A knockout punch consists of only 3 components. This is the physical readiness of the fighter, the correct strike technique, timing of the strike.
The physical characteristics of a fighter include the strength and speed of the strike. Pain tolerance. Joint mobility, muscle flexibility and shock surface readiness.
The right technique depends on the build of the person. The impact is affected by the length of the arms and legs of the fighter. His physiology. And of course, the psychological attitude to win and readiness for an extreme situation.
Imagine very different situations:
- Sack kick practice
- Performance in the ring in front of 10,000 audience
- Sudden attack in a dark alley
Each of these situations requires a separate psychological preparation. Separate preparation!
Timing is where and when you need to get to knock out the enemy.
Types and application of kicks
All kicks can be divided into:
In addition, the blows are divided in height:
1. High kicks (to the head, neck). Must be used exclusively by masters. Such attacks are more spectacular than effective, and only a master can make them formidable weapons. A newbie, on the contrary, runs the risk of "substituting" and even falling, balancing on one leg and performing a difficult exercise. Training high kicks requires extensive training and practice.
2. Average kicks (chest, torso, belt, groin). These are the most powerful punches. They can be long or short, have maximum destructive power. Training medium shots allows you to apply them after a few months of training.
3. Lower kicks (thigh, knee, lower leg, foot). These are the most insidious, quick and inconspicuous blows that are easiest to master. They can be used even by children. A correct hit with the edge of the foot (the sharp edge of the sole of the shoe) on the lower leg in front, or with the heel (heel) on the standing leg above, can “bring to life” the most serious opponent. Training such strikes is simple, but requires knowledge of the anatomy of the lower limbs and usually takes from several weeks to several months. Such blows can be relatively easy to knock down even the heaviest enemy.
From the personal archive of the author. 1988 year. In its karate section.
Now let's talk about how to train kicks (including at home). To do this, in addition to knowing the tactics of battle and good general physical fitness, you need to:
• Develop the necessary strength and speed.
• Significantly improve stretching.
Personally, I almost never:
• Did not engage in static stretching, did not writhe in the throes of pain on the floor according to the Soviet gymnastic technique of violent twine.
• I did not do relaxing meditation according to the Eastern method of “easy” sitting on the twine.
Instead, myself and my students performed the following exercise:
It is necessary to raise the right leg up to the maximum possible height to check the existing level of stretching. In this case, two conditions must be fulfilled (we call these conditions the “rule of two”):
1. The leg to be lifted should be straight at the time of maximum lift, and the leg standing on the floor may bend slightly.
2. Standing leg should stand on the floor with full foot (without lifting the heel off the floor!).
A pole is set to the height level obtained. Through this pole it is necessary to throw the legs in accordance with the "rule of two." This rule must be followed and monitored constantly!
We throw the legs in accordance with the technique of blows. We work on quality and speed, throw legs alternately (left - right, right - left) from 100 to 500 times a day 4-5 times a week. By the way, do not work daily and around the clock, give your feet a rest 2-3 days a week so that they recover.
About once a week, you should increase the height of the pole by several centimeters. Thus, in a year you will have developed muscles, a good basic technique, and you can sit on the twine. It should be noted that dynamic stretching prepares the muscles of the legs, abs and buttocks in the correct proportion.
How to train a strong and quick kick was written in another manual on the website www.extreme-voyage.ru using this link.
W-shu, personal archive, 1988, an underground gym.
On my own behalf, as a conclusion, I want to note that, as my skills improve:
1. The first 10 years of training, I really wanted to achieve mastery in high kicks.
2. Later, I became aware of all the advantages of striking to the middle level - for example, powerful, strong, economical, knocking down and breaking all bones heel strikes from a turn into the body.
3. But only recently have I fully understood the charm and effectiveness of lower kicks and sweeps. To deprive a person of support by damaging a standing leg and “drop” anyone, and do it gently, gracefully, economically and imperceptibly in the heat of battle - now for me it is the highest level.
How to make a hit stronger
I strongly suggest that you read an article about iron in martial arts >>> There, the recommended exercises with a barbell with video clips are described in steps.
To increase strength, we need: an Olympic barbell, a wheel from a Belarus tractor and a set of sledgehammers according to your budget. From 5 to 24 kg. You can start with the 1 easiest. Set of weights 16, 24 and 32 kg.
As well as a horizontal bar and bars in the yard. A beautiful road in a forest or park with obstacles, slides and descents 5-10 km. On which you need to run in the morning. The toolbox is clear?
You can start with a minimum. What is at hand right now. And this is you and your weight. It can be picked up, pulled, thrown, moved over rough terrain with acceleration, etc.
For our purposes: staging a knockout punch - we need a lot to eat and a lot to train. Since we need mass. But, training, training, strife, wolf, radish. Therefore, we need powerful exercises for all muscle groups.
I will list by importance. The jerk and push of the bar, the jerk and jerk of the kettlebell, hitting a sledgehammer on the tire, circus numbers of Russian strongmen, breaking the chain, juggling kettlebells, etc.
How to make a hit faster
And here I will be the captain of evidence. To beat faster, we will beat faster, and not perform any kind of particularly sophisticated exercises. I suggest taking the most powerful punches and kicks into your arsenal, learning and increasing speed. And like it - add more hits.
Let's choose a small arsenal of techniques:
- Elbow to the head
- Direct hit from the right hand to the head
- Two-handed side impact to the head
- Kneeling to the head with a grip on clothes, neck
- Side kick to the head
- Kick in the groin from below with a foot
- Control shot - finishing technique
We will start with the first two, and we will add the rest by readiness.
Methods of increasing the speed of blows:
- In front of the mirror smoothly
- In front of the mirror increasing speed
- Pear bag
- To the enemy
- Super Series or American - We deal one hit in arithmetic progression
- Beats per minute
- With weights
- With rubber
And where is the protection? In timing. With a sudden hit, protection is not needed.
Well, the second level of technology: systemic attacks on pain points. You can read about systemic shocks in my book.
"Anatomy of the battle."
You can support the author and order the book from me electronically. Or buy paper on ozone, liters, etc. Enter my last name in the search on these sites.
Physiology of shock motion
Man is a complex kinematic chain. With a huge number of joints and muscles involved in the stroke.
Depending on physiology, one person needs to start with a knee hit in the head - a large fighter with long legs. And another with a biting elbow strike - a thin high-speed light guy.
Any hand strike is easier to learn with an elbow strike, and with a knee kick. With the correct setting of these 2 strokes, all the rest will be obtained automatically. The basis of the movement lies in these two.
The kick involves the legs, body and arms. I hope to soon post a video tutorial on your YouTube channel. A link to the channel is on each page below.
In the meantime, verbally: for the right elbow strike from the boxing rack, we begin the movement from the back foot. We twist the heel forward, pushing the pelvis with the foot, while unfolding the shoulders. Slash the arc forward elbow forward. The palm looks down and is pressed to the chest from the side of the hand. Blow in a straight line forward. Like a direct kick. Not on the side. Impact surface - protruding elbow bone.
Possible options: when the elbow goes from top to front, in the nose, the eyebrows of the enemy. A blow is applied to the chin from the side.
Knee kick: one-handed grip on the neck, clothing. U-turn on the supporting leg, turning the pelvis forward along the arc and a blow from the bottom up, or in a straight line to the opponent’s head. Heel pulled to 5 point.
When punching, it is important to prepare the impact surface and properly form the fist. Punching is weaker than the elbow and can cause injury to the hand, especially for boxers.
Therefore, hardening of the brush on the bag and solid objects is of particular importance. As an option, punches in a solid boxing bag without gloves. What for some reason are the athletes so afraid of.
And they are afraid of injuries. Which they have guaranteed, if you beat your whole life with gloves.
When kicking, it’s important to understand what kind of shoes you have on your foot. And do not hit the knee or jaw with toes in the shales. You can lose your fingers.
We finished the physical part. Let's move on to timing.
And here we need to understand that we are not boxing. Therefore, the main aspect of surprise is psychology. And, therefore, all exercises for the arms, for the legs are certainly useful. But they do not solve our main task with you - surprise.
- Kicks from a relaxed state
- Shots from unexpected positions
- Ability to talk with an adversary
All this is trained in various trainings. But the search should not conflictology and psychocourses. I would recommend Alex Leslie and his pickup trainings. Definitely help.
Anything further will help too. But with less effect:
- Kicks in the move
- Hitting flying objects, elastic ball tennis ball
- Punching strikes, etc.
And another important component is knowledge of anatomy. Knowing where to hit is as important as when. If I carefully read the text, above I already wrote a little about it. More information is in my book The Anatomy of Fight. And the military surgeon Vladimir Silyanov helped me write it. I talked about the experience, it is about anatomy.
Do you want to get a free part of a book with a description of where to beat from a military surgeon and martial artist?
Method 1 Front Kick
The front kick (“Mae Geri” in Japanese, “Ap Chagi” in Korean) is mainly used for striking the legs, groin, solar plexus, throat and face. Because a punch on the face does not do as much damage as a kick on the lower leg. In addition, because of its simplicity, the front kick can be used with great speed and without compromising power. This is often one of the first techniques taught by martial arts students.
- 1 Take the battle stance. The preferred fighting stance differs depending on the combat discipline, but the general rule is that the strong leg should stand behind - its thumb should be set aside. The weak leg should be in front, and her thumb should be directed straight forward. The body, as a rule, is directed towards the strong leg (the body of the right-handed person will be directed to the right, the left-handed person - to the left). Your hands should be in a protective position or relaxed. For kicking, your arms are less important (which is obvious).
- 2 If you want to perform a faster kick, you must use the leg in front (weak). If you want to perform a stronger front kick, use the leg that is behind (strong)
- 3 Raise the knee of the striking leg so that the thigh is parallel to the ground to the height of the wrist. This is called charging. Take a breath while doing this.
- 4 Kick the leg, quickly throwing it forward. Performing the front kick, you can use the foot pad or the inside of it as the shock surface. When striking, quickly release air from the lungs. This will ensure that by training kicks, you will not forget to breathe (which is easier to do than it sounds!). Remember: inhale during contraction of the muscles, exhale during opening. It will also help you relax your body and allow you to use the right technique, as holding your breath will mean intense muscle tension. In this case, you will try to control your kick with excessive force, which will weaken and slow it down, and you will get tired faster.
- 5 Take your foot out of the impact position, with your thigh again parallel to the ground.
- 6 Place your foot back on the ground. If you used a weak leg to strike, then it will return to its original position. If you used a leg that was behind to strike, then put it on the ground as you would with the other (changing the side of the rack).
- 7 Execution can vary in height, strength, speed, and whether you return your foot to the ground or not. In many disciplines, there are techniques for delivering multiple kicks with one foot that are not placed on the ground.
Method 2 Kicking to the Side
Side kick (“Yoko Geri” in Japanese, “Yup Chagi” in Korean) - this is a much stronger push kick. It is not intended for quick attacks, since it serves to inflict significant damage to the enemy. In addition, it is a little harder to complete. There is one trick associated with mental representation, which works well even in children. It consists in using images and “charging and“ exploding. ”The student must imagine how the bullet is charged into the barrel simultaneously with raising the shock leg to the highest possible height. Then the bullet shoots out of the channel as a result of the“ explosion. ”It seems that this trick is good It helps to raise the leg as high as possible, and then perform a push with the heel, with the development of maximum power.Just advice on the use of the image.
- 1 Take the battle stance.
- 2 Raise the leg located at the back so that the knee is at the level of your chest and the foot is somewhere at the level of the hips (at the initial stage, do not try to raise it too high. The goal is so that the sole of your foot is pointing down and its outside is looking at the target). This is sometimes called the cocked position because you are ready to shoot.
- 3 Kick the foot so that the striking leg forms a straight line from the cocked position to the target. Beat the heel or, if you are a more advanced student, the outside of the foot. While striking, rotate the foot pad to direct your heel toward the target.
- 4 Return to the cocked position. At the same time, turn on the foot pads to the starting position.
- 5 Place your foot on the ground in front of you. The leg that stood behind before the blow should now be in front, and vice versa. A side-kick is an accelerated version of a side-kick, often used in sparring to earn points for hitting an opponent's groin.
- 6 Take the fighting stance.
- 7 Move your shock foot along the support leg to its knee.
- 8 Bend your percussion foot toward the target (preferably under the kick). Use the same foot position as with a side jerk.
- 9 Without pausing, bend the foot back to the knee.
- 10 Swipe the foot down and place it on the ground. Complete in combat stance.
Method 3 U-Turn Kick
A kick from the U-turn (“Mashi Geri” in Japanese, “Dole Chaga” in Korean) - this is perhaps the most common kick in battle. It is strong as a side kick, and at the same time as fast as the front.
- 1 Take the battle stance
- 2 Put one foot forward, as if you were doing a front kick. Using the front foot will be more sudden, however, the back leg is much stronger and it will be more aggressive because you take a step forward. Instead of holding the lower leg in a vertical position with the knee up, lower the knee as if you were doing a front hit to the side. To do it right, it’s very important to use your hips to hit, because the power of the blow is in them! This is a cocked position.
- 3 Hit with a quick snap movement. You must use a foot pad, shin or the inside of the foot to strike (again, depending on where you want to hit). Remember that you must always hit through the target.
- 4 Return to the cocked position.
- 5 Put your foot on the ground so that she now occupies the front position (if she did not occupy it before). Либо вы можете вернуть ногу в исходное положение, но это нужно сделать очень быстро, сразу же после того, как вы изо всех сил ударили по цели.
- 6 Если все сделано правильно, то вы сможете выбросить с ударом все тело, не смещая центр его тяжести и не теряя равновесия. Кроме того, его исполнение получится гладким, и не таким механическим, какими кажутся шаги.
Method 4 Backward Jitkundo U-Turn
This strike is more effective as a finisher. It is performed on a very strong scale. Its disadvantages include poor entertainment, so you should not use this blow in order to impress others.
- 1 Put your hind and front legs forward. Raise your leg and take advantage drumstick for a direct attack. If you use the inside or the cushion of the foot to attack, then with the correct execution of the next element, you can cause significant damage. While the leg is in the air, do not click, but bring the blow. Karate experts will object, because they can do it without losing their balance. Indeed, the effect of height joins the shock, and a large weight does not move forward.
Types and techniques of performing a direct kick
Three main techniques for conducting a direct kick are worth highlighting. This is an upward kick, a penetrating kick and pushing a direct kick to the stomach. They have completely different biomechanics. Accordingly, if we kick a direct kick, so that a biting movement is obtained, this is an upward kick. If we send a direct blow forward, representing the shock point behind the opponent’s body, this is a penetrating blow. If the movement is made by the pushing movement of the thigh, then this is a pushing kick. Different trajectory and accordingly different goals and objectives.
1. Direct upward kick.
How to beat Keage Mae Geri's upward blow.
The first movement begins with the back of a standing leg. We take the knee forward, after that we begin to sharply perform the extension of the leg and hit the target with a whip. Sharply return the leg to its original position along the same path. The shock part in this technique is a foot pillow.
This blow can be applied both to the body and to the head. The advantage of a blow also lies in the fact that you can work at a distance of a blow with your hand.
2. Direct penetrating kick.
How to beat Kekomi Mae Geri's piercing blow
We take out the knee and turn around on the supporting foot in order to move the pelvis forward. After that, we extend the leg. We send the blow forward and stick it into the enemy. We take out the pelvis in order to put a lot of impact forward. The point of impact is beyond the center of gravity of the opponent. It can make its way into the body, it can also easily make its way to the head. The movement is longer than the upward stroke, respectively, longer. When a faster action is needed, it is best to hit with an upward stroke. However, penetrating kick is stronger, this is its advantage. Although it is necessary to work here at a longer distance.
3. Push kick.
How to beat a pushing kick.
There is another option for applying front-kick. Thais call this strike Type. The peculiarity of this blow is that we take the knee much higher than the point of impact and then send the pelvis forward and perform a pushing movement. If when performing an upward strike, the leg at the end is almost straight, with a penetrating strike the same thing, then in the type we beat as if from top to bottom. We should ideally form such a feeling in ourselves. It’s like we drive the enemy into the floor.
The strike can be performed both from the far leg and from the front one. It can also be used to break the enemy’s defense and continue to finish off with a series of punches and kicks. The shock part in this case is the entire foot.
Direct Kick Protection
Let's analyze the simplest and most elementary way of knocking down the front of a kick. When the opponent kicks with his left foot, we throw the left hand down, knocking him at the expense of the elbow. In this case, it is necessary to shift slightly to the right in order to leave the line of attack and deploy the corps. By the way, the knocking down movement is, in fact, a block of karate called Gedan Barai Uke - the Lower Block.
After knocking down a leg, you need to grab it a bit and fix it, right under the opponent’s heel. After that, due to the rotation of the case counterclockwise, we drag the leg forward for ourselves and carry out a counterattack movement. It is very important to knock down the leg with a movement not from top to bottom, but along the tangent, so that your hand does not enter the bone, into the muscle, otherwise you can be injured.
If an opponent hits with his right foot, then all actions are mirror-like. We block it with the right hand, the movement of the body after fixing the legs occurs counterclockwise.
Front kick defense and counterattack
Consider another way to protect against direct attack and counterattack.
The right hand in this case is the main one in order to knock off the line of attack along a tangent. With your left hand, grab the opponent’s foot from below, as described above. In this case, the body is slightly pulled back in the pelvic area. Moreover, this must be done at the moment when the blow has almost arrived. That is, he is already going, the opponent naturally invests in a blow, and we dodging and catching him by the heel fail at ourselves. At the same time knock down the leg with the elbow of the right hand. The fist of the right hand does not fall in any case, always covering its head. We turn the body counterclockwise, pulling the opponent’s leg towards him, controlling with his left hand under the heel, and blocking it with his right elbow. We charge on impact and turning the case, now clockwise, we carry out counterattack combinations.
Front kick defense and counterattack
A direct kick is one of the main tools of any fighter, so you need to hone it in training in order to be able to correctly use it in battle.
Below you can see the execution in the video of a direct kick to the stomach.