Productivity, mood and well-being depend on how much a person rested, regained his strength. Many with sleep problems immediately grab hold of pills and soon cannot imagine how to fall asleep without sleeping pills. Unfortunately, many people have to think about how to fall asleep without drugs, because in our turbulent times, not everyone can boast of a strong and healthy sleep.
Why is it important to learn to fall asleep without sleeping pills?
Since sleep within a week of less than 6 hours a day leads to serious changes in the human body at the genetic level, it is worthwhile to address the problem of insomnia immediately. Otherwise, malfunctions in the immune system, an increase in the likelihood of inflammatory processes, anxiety, exposure to stress and all the same insomnia will become your constant companions.
The constant use of drugs with sleeping pills without fail leads to addiction. And its doses have to be increased all the time, switch to stronger drugs, accordingly, the risk of side effects from taking the tablets also increases. Therefore, it is extremely important to get used to falling asleep every night on your own, without sleeping pills.
Why can't I fall asleep without medicine?
In fact, everyone can fall asleep without sleeping pills, if his problem is not in the sphere of responsibility of medicine. If in doubt, it is worth starting with a doctor's consultation and a full examination.
The quality of sleep is affected by both its duration and the moment how quickly a person can fall asleep. Very often, the process of falling asleep is so exhausting and tiring that a subsequent sleep does not bring the expected rest and relief.
The reasons why you can’t fall asleep without medication include the following problems:
- stress. Sometimes stress fits into everyday life so much that we stop noticing it, and worrying about tomorrow's report, talking with a partner, or traveling is considered natural. If you leave work, you continue to scroll through all the details in your head, you are in constant stress. And if you feel depressed, then you should consult a doctor to cope with this condition first,
- bad habits. To fall asleep without pills, the body needs the right conditions - noisy parties, alcohol abuse, watching militants and even playing games on the computer overexcite the nervous system and can bring down the natural schedule of sleep and wakefulness,
- insufficient or excessive physical activity. And in fact, and in another case, the body is difficult to tune in to sleep. If you lie almost all day, it’s hard for him to understand when to sleep. With intense evening workouts, it's hard to calm down,
- lack of sleep. Oddly enough, lack of sleep can be the reason that you can’t fall asleep without pills. The reason is simple - you are constantly struggling with drowsiness, and for the body it becomes the norm,
- overwork. With any overwork, the body begins to produce stress hormones that overexcite the nervous system. And what kind of dream is it?
How to start falling asleep without pills?
To fall asleep without sleeping pills, you just need to:
- learn to sort out the accumulated problems and concerns, switch in a timely manner and relax. Remember the famous phrase of Scarlett O’Hara (Gone with the Wind) and say to yourself, “I'll think about it tomorrow”,
Causes of Insomnia
Before you start taking drugs that fight insomnia, you should find out the cause of this condition. Here are the main ones:
- anxiety conditions
- sleep apnea - respiratory stops during a night's rest,
- mental and physical activity,
- long-term use of drugs
- Drinking caffeinated drinks before bedtime
- existing diseases - bronchial asthma, problems with the thyroid gland, oncology, kidney and liver diseases, digestive tract pathologies.
In addition, a change in time zones and moving can be a source of difficulty with sleep.
Generations of drugs and types
Sleeping pills are divided into several groups:
- Benzodiazepine group. Suitable for those who have trouble sleeping due to unreasonable anxiety, fear, worries and phobias. This includes Phenazepam, Sibazon. If you use drugs of this group for a long time - more than 2 weeks, then this will lead to dependence and increased symptoms. With a single dose, the use of benzodiazepines does not lead to any negative consequences.
- Derivatives of Barbiturate Acid. Used in case of serious sleep disturbances. This group includes: "Barbital", "Hexobarbatal", "Phenobarbital", "Relodorm". They are prescribed as anticonvulsant, sleeping pills, relaxing drugs. With prolonged use, addiction syndrome may develop. In addition, barbiturates shorten the REM phase. When buying a pharmacist requires a doctor's prescription.
- Melatonin preparations. These medicines are some of the safest. Do not affect sleep cycles, do not cause drowsiness, fatigue during the day. This group includes: “Melaxen”, “Melaren”, etc.
- Z-drugs. The most effective and safest drugs with sleeping pills. They have no side effects, and cases of overdose have not been observed. It is worth noting that too long reception leads to addiction. This group includes Ivadol, Andante, Zopiclone.
There is another group of drugs that affects sleep quality - antihistamines. This includes diprazine, diphenhydramine. Not suitable for the treatment of severe forms of insomnia.
In what cases are fast-acting drugs prescribed?
Quick-acting drugs are prescribed for difficulties with falling asleep, numerous night awakenings, shallow sleep, as well as increasing the duration of night rest, eliminating arousal, and improving the quality of sleep.
It is worth noting that all drugs with sleeping pills, which have a quick effect, have one thing in common. They help to relax muscles, inhibit the activity of certain parts of the brain that are responsible for tension and anxiety.
Important! All drugs with sleeping pills lengthen the duration of the REM sleep phase, but reduce the deep stage.
Fast-acting sleeping pills
To begin with, we describe drugs that are dispensed in pharmacies without a doctor’s prescription and are the safest for the body.
The main substance that is part of the drug is melatonin. It is recommended to take 1 tablet before a night's rest - for half an hour. If severe violations with falling asleep are observed, the dosage can be increased by 2 times.
"Melaxen" is very rapidly excreted from the body. Among other advantages, it can be noted:
- acceleration of falling asleep,
- does not make you sleepy during the day,
- does not cause mental and physical dependence,
- the number of awakenings in the process of night rest is reduced.
Among the shortcomings can be noted the impossibility of taking during pregnancy and breastfeeding. People with hormonal disorders, individual intolerance to the components of the drug, impaired renal function, diabetes mellitus are also forbidden to use the medicine.
The cost of the drug is 650 rubles.
According to reviews, we can conclude: the drug "Melaxen" is very effective. Many argue that the medicine does not lead to drowsiness, contributes to instant sleep and deep sleep.
Donormil is a fast-acting sleeping pill. The main active ingredients are doxylamine. In pharmacies can be found in the form of conventional tablets and "pops" that dissolve in water. The drug is prescribed for sleep disorders, insomnia, frequent awakenings.
The action begins 10-15 minutes after administration. During this period of time, ethanolamine H-1 receptors are blocked. The duration of the drug from 6 to 8 hours. It should be taken 10-15 minutes before bedtime ½ tablet. The duration of therapy is 3-5 days. In severe sleep disorders, the dose may increase to 1-2 tablets.
Among the contraindications should be noted:
- the presence of angle-closure glaucoma in the patient,
- problems with urination in men, prostate diseases.
Use "Donormil" in any form is allowed to expectant mothers. Do not give medicine to children under 15 years of age. Caution should be given to people who suffer from temporary respiratory failure during the night's rest (apnea).
Important! To make the drug lull to sleep faster, doctors recommend ventilating the room before a night's rest, providing yourself with a comfortable sleeping place, not overeating and not watching films affecting the psyche.
Among the side effects, urinary retention, dry mouth, and constipation should be highlighted.
The main analogue of the drug is Reslip, Sonmil. The price of Donormila is 330 rubles. Sleeping pills are dispensed without prescription from doctors.
Many claim that with the help of Donormil, you can fall asleep in 10 minutes. Also, using this drug note the absence of side effects and drowsiness in the daytime.
Dreams is an all-natural drug that has hypnotic and sedative effects. It is absolutely safe, so it consists entirely of plant materials. It can be taken even by children of 2 years of age.
Available in the form of drops. It is used for insomnia in a chronic form, irritability, mental disorders, anxiety, depression, unreasonable fear, frequent waking up during the night's rest, long falling asleep.
Adults need to use the drug at night - for insomnia, 3 times a day - for anxiety. Dosage - 5 ml.
The cost of Dreamse is 1600 rubles. An analogue in composition of the product is Sonilux.
Numerous reviews suggest that the drug is good for anxiety, especially when important events are expected the next day. Dreams quickly calms, removes anxiety. The next morning, no drowsiness. Most who have tested this medicine recommend it for use.
You can read more about the drug in our review.
"Sonilux" is another medicine with sleeping pills and soothing effect, which consists only of plant materials. The drug promotes rapid falling asleep, reducing the number of awakenings and eliminating sources of lack of sleep and insomnia. In addition, the active components contained in this tool easily eliminate irritability, anxiety, fear, aggression, chronic fatigue.
Used for insomnia, 1 scoop 30 minutes before bedtime on an empty stomach. With psycho-emotional disorders, the number of receptions should be increased to three.
The cost of the drug is 990 rubles. The analogue is "Dreams."
Many argue that the drug is absolutely safe. Its action is equated with potent sleeping pills, which with prolonged use lead to addiction. "Sonilyuks", according to reviews, acts almost instantly, sleep comes quickly, the nervous system calms, and in the morning no drowsiness or fatigue.
You can read more about the drug in our review.
Another remedy that you can buy at a pharmacy without a prescription is Valocardin. This is one of the safest drugs, which will not only accelerate the process of falling asleep, but also eliminate the symptoms of angina pectoris, as well as reduce high blood pressure.
The main active components of Valocardin are: phenobarbital, validol. It is prescribed for insomnia caused by irritability, anxiety, neurosis. The drug is produced in the form of drops. It is taken at night half an hour before bedtime. Dosage - 15 drops (if necessary, can be increased to 25).
Advantages of Valocordin:
- Relieves pain.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Prevents vascular spasms.
- Eliminates bloating.
- Reduces the excitability of certain parts of the central nervous system.
- Blocks the activity of the area of the brain responsible for anxiety, anxiety, excitement.
- Does not inhibit reactions.
Among the shortcomings can be noted such:
- As mentioned earlier, one of the main active ingredients is phenobarbital. So, the frequent use of funds with its content is addictive.
- Systematic use may cause dizziness and drowsiness during the day.
The drug is not allowed to be taken by breast-feeding women and pregnant women.
The cost of Valocardin is 50 rubles. Among the analogues can be noted - “Corvalol”, “Validol”, “Barboval”, “Darvilol”.
An excellent tool that not only relieves anxiety and improves sleep, but also eliminates pain in the stomach. All those who use this tool talk about its effectiveness and safety.
"Fito-novosed" consists entirely of plant components. It has no side effects (except for allergies to the constituent herbs).
The main indication for the use of the drug is neurotic conditions, which are accompanied by anxiety, irritability, fears, insomnia, headaches.
Important! Among the advantages of Fito-Nova-Seda, one can note the lack of drowsiness, which makes it possible to take it during the day.
It is contraindicated to use the drug:
- children under 18 years old, expectant mothers and women who breastfeed their children,
- people with HIV
- with autoimmune diseases, tuberculosis, leukemia.
You need to take the medicine 3 times a day - for psycho-emotional disorders, and before going to bed - if insomnia suffers. Dosage - 0.5 teaspoon of extract. Be sure to dissolve in 50 ml of water. The course of treatment is 14 days.
The price of the medicine is 90 rubles.
Most people with insomnia report a good result after using Fito-novo-Seda. Sleep after use occurs in a few minutes. The medicine quickly calms, relieves irritability, does not cause fatigue and drowsiness in the daytime.
"Formula of Sleep"
The composition of this dietary supplement is dominated by traditional “sleepy” herbs, such as hops and passionflower, as well as vitamins B, Magnesium. This composition makes it easier to fall asleep and get a deeper and better quality sleep. There is also a variant of the drug, enhanced phyto melatonin.
The drug has a natural herbal composition, is available in various forms (tea, tablets, syrup), is suitable even for children (from 3 years), improves sleep quality, relieves stress. What is important, he passed clinical trials at the clinics of the Scientific Research Institute of Mental Health of the Tomsk Scientific Center SB RAMS and is not addictive. Among the shortcomings, buyers of reviews note that the Sleep Formula does not work immediately, but has a cumulative effect. Contraindications - intolerance to components, pregnancy, breast-feeding.
Tryptophan Calm Formula
The drug is based on the amino acid L-tryptophan, which affects the sleep-wake cycle. It also contains vitamin B and pantothenic acid, which are important for maintaining the body's anti-stress functions.
The drug improves mood during the day, reduces irritability, helps to calm down and fall asleep with insomnia against stress, good composition. Of the minuses, consumers mark the price of the goods. Among the contraindications are intolerance to the components, pregnancy, breastfeeding.
Another drug that almost instantly solves the problem of falling asleep is Phenazepam. It belongs to a number of tranquilizers. Among all sleeping pills, it is this medicine that is considered to be the best. Phenazepam's hypnotic effects can be expected 15 minutes after administration. It is recommended to take it with insomnia, which appeared due to fears, anxiety, phobias.
Important! Fast-acting hypnotic "Phenazepam" relieves anxiety and is used as an anticonvulsant medicine.
It is prescribed in this dosage: for adults, the daily norm can reach 6 g. the main active component (in difficult cases). A single optimal dose is 250-500 mcg.
It is taken 1 time a day before bedtime - for half an hour. Prolonged use may cause withdrawal syndrome and dependence.
Caution should be given to pregnant and lactating women. It is not allowed to use the drug with alcohol. The duration of therapy is 2 weeks, no more.
Upon purchase, the pharmacist requires a prescription from a doctor. Price - from 85 to 200 rubles.
According to doctors, “Phenazepam” is an extreme measure for insomnia. Есть более мягкие лекарственные средства, которые снимут беспокойство, тревогу и раздражительность, приводящие к бессоннице.
«Какой препарат принимать, чтобы я мгновенно уснул?» — спрашивают многие на приёме у доктора. «Имован» — это снотворное быстрого действия. It is registered in such cases:
- for sleep disorders
- when the process of falling asleep is difficult
- with numerous awakenings during a night's rest,
- with situational insomnia,
- with insomnia in a chronic form,
- when sleep disorders are associated with neurosis, anxiety, unreasonable fears.
You can not take "Imovan" for people with respiratory and heart failure, apnea, children under 15 years of age, as well as pregnant and lactating women.
A single dosage for people over 15 years old is 7.5 mg. In severe cases, as prescribed by the doctor, it can be increased to 15 mg. Elderly people and those suffering from severe renal impairment should start with a dosage of 3.75 mg.
Among the undesirable effects can be noted disorders in the digestive tract, disturbances in the functioning of the nervous system (headache, drowsiness, blurred eyes, hallucinations, scary dreams, confusion, dizziness).
You can not combine the reception of "Imovan" and alcoholic beverages. The drug is released only if there is a medical prescription from a doctor. Cost - 550-900 rubles.
According to reviews, Imovan really contributes to almost instantly falling asleep. Only a few complain about the many side effects that occur in daytime drowsiness, as well as difficulties with waking up in the morning.
"Ivadal" is included in the category of "sedative, fast-acting sleeping pills." The medicine is good to use when there are sleep disturbances, chronic lack of sleep, insomnia, constant awakenings during a night's rest.
Important! In the morning, drowsiness after taking Ivadal is not saved.
It is better not to take the drug for people with gas exchange disorders in the lungs, apnea, severe renal pathologies, liver diseases, as well as for children under 18 years old, women expecting a baby (in the first trimester) and nursing mothers.
Among the undesirable effects can be noted violations in the digestive tract, nervous system, allergic reactions. With long-term use of the drug (more than 1 week), addiction is observed.
Take tablets at bedtime - a quarter of an hour. A single dose is 0.1 g. The course of therapy is from 2 to 5 days. If the doctor has prescribed to continue treatment for more than a week, then the drug should be discontinued gradually.
The medicine is only available on prescription. The cost of the medicine is 830 rubles.
As for those who have tested the drug on themselves, in general, the reviews are positive. Many talk about the quick action of the drug. The drug is especially good for superficial sleep and frequent awakenings.
To quickly fall asleep, doctors often prescribe Reladorm to patients. The medicine has a combined effect. It begins to act in 15-20 minutes. It has the following effects on the body:
- anxiolytic, that is, relieves anxiety.
In pharmacies it is found only in the form of tablets. Such substances are included in the medicine - calcium cyclobarbital, diazepam. It is prescribed for sleep disorders caused by anxiety and neurosis.
You can not take fast-acting sleeping pills "Reladorm" for people with:
- mental disorders
- respiratory failure
- with thoughts of suicide
- renal and hepatic insufficiency.
In addition, the drug is contraindicated for pregnant women, nursing women, children under 15 years old, the elderly after 65 years. It is forbidden to use "Reladorm" for severe poisoning with alcohol and drugs that affect the nervous system.
Important! Doctors recommend to be careful with sleeping pills and not to use them for a long time because of the likelihood of developing addiction and withdrawal syndrome.
You need to take the drug 15 minutes before bedtime inside by ½ or a whole tablet. Among the side effects include digestive tract disorders, allergies, low blood pressure, dizziness, weakness, and fainting. The duration of treatment is 7 days (no longer possible, since there is a likelihood of developing withdrawal syndrome).
The medicine is dispensed only by prescription. The price varies between 380-600 rubles. Analogs are: Sibazon, Relium, Seduxen.
Opinions about this drug are divided. Some talk about its effectiveness, while others complain about a large number of side effects.
The main substance of Sanvala is zolpidem. On sale is found only in the form of tablets. The medicine is prescribed for people who complain of systematic and early awakenings during night rest, as well as difficulties with falling asleep.
The disadvantages of the drug include the inability to use in depressive conditions, as well as a negative effect on the central nervous system and digestive tract.
The optimal dosage of "Sanvala" is 10-20 mg (maximum). Elderly people should take no more than 5 mg of the active ingredient. Pills are needed before bedtime. The duration of treatment is no more than 4 weeks. Cancellation should be gradual.
The price of the drug is 350 rubles.
Many speak positively about this drug. After its use, sleep occurs quickly. However, there are those that talk about undesirable effects, among which drowsiness in the daytime and short-term pain in the stomach are most often noted.
Another good and quick cure is Andante. The drug is part of the pyrazolo-pyrimidine group. It is considered one of the safest of this category. It is prescribed in order to fall asleep faster and prevent early awakening. The main component, zaleplon, begins to act within 15 minutes. Available in capsule form.
It is not recommended for people who have intolerance to the components that make up the drug, as well as to expectant mothers. In addition, you do not need to use Andante fast-acting sleeping pills for pulmonary and renal failure, as well as for girls who are breast-feeding a child and children under 18 years of age.
Cerdy pluses can be noted:
- acceleration of the process of falling asleep,
- reduction in the number of awakenings at night,
- elimination of a severe form of sleep disturbance.
It is worth noting that the drug has several side effects: on the part of the central nervous system - lethargy, passivity, pain in the head, dizziness, temper, aggression, on the part of the digestive tract - the urge to vomit, diarrhea, nausea, pain in the entire abdomen. In rare cases, skin rashes, allergies.
Important! The fast-acting Andante is addictive if taken for a long time. With systematic use, withdrawal syndrome develops, which manifests itself in the form of increased symptoms of insomnia.
It is recommended that adults take the medicine by mouth with water. A single dosage is 10 mg. The duration of treatment should be no more than 2 weeks.
The price of Andante is 470 rubles.
Many who have taken Andante talk about its instant action. However, there are those who claim that they will no longer take this medicine due to the presence of side effects manifested in dizziness, drowsiness, and tiredness during the day.
The main component of the drug is diphenhydramine. "Diphenhydramine" has sedative and hypnotic effects. The therapeutic effect occurs 1 hour after administration and lasts about 6 hours.
It is recommended to use 50 mg 1 hour before bedtime. Among the undesirable effects can be noted disturbances in the nervous, respiratory, reproductive, immune, digestive, cardiovascular systems. Similar failures occur only with an overdose of the drug.
It is not allowed to take people with glaucoma, asthma, during pregnancy and lactation.
The price of the drug is 100 rubles.
As for the reviews, they are both positive and negative. Doctors say that "Diphenhydramine" is a drug that should be taken with insomnia only in extreme cases.
Sleeping pills should be taken with caution. Since many of them are addictive, followed by increased symptoms of insomnia. Therefore, before purchasing sleeping pills without a prescription, it is better to consult a doctor.
Perhaps taking medications with a soporific effect is not at all necessary. Indeed, in most cases, sleep problems can be eliminated by arranging food, a daily regimen, abandoning addictions, etc.
It’s no secret that a healthy and sound sleep is the key to well-being and good mood. However, not every person can get enough sleep. This is especially true for residents of modern cities, where every second person is faced with such a problem as insomnia.
How to fall asleep quickly and what methods of fast falling asleep exist? What if I can’t sleep? Why does a person suffer from insomnia and how to defeat her? We will try to answer these and other important questions in this material.
How to fall asleep quickly if you can’t sleep
Each of us, at least once in his life, wondered what to do to make himself fall asleep when necessary, and not when the body turns off by itself from fatigue. In fact, not everyone can easily fall asleep. To understand what to do to quickly fall asleep, you need to have at least a minimal idea of sleep and its stages.
Then, a problem called “I can’t fall asleep” can be avoided. So, a dream is nothing more than a physiological state, which is inherent not only to humans, but also to other mammals, fish, birds, and even insects. When we sleep, our reactions to what is happening around us slow down.
Normal physiological sleep is different from similar conditions, for example, fainting, lethargic sleep, comaperiod hibernationor suspended animation in animals by the fact that he:
- repeated every day, i.e. 24 hours (sleep at night is considered normal),
- characterized by a period of falling asleep or drowsiness,
- has several stages.
Falling asleep activity brain decreases as well as decreases heart rate. A person yawns, sensory sensory systems also decrease, and secretory activity slows down, which is why our eyes are sticking together.
During the night we go through the following stages of sleep:
- slow sleep comes immediately after a person falls asleep. During this period, muscle activity decreases, and we feel a pleasant relaxation. Due to the slowdown of all vital processes, a person sinks into a nap and falls asleep soundly. In the phase of slow sleep, there are three main stages: directly the stage of falling asleep or drowsiness, which lasts no more than 10 minutes, the stage of light sleep, in which the auditory sensitivity is still preserved and the person can be easily woken up, for example, with a loud sound, and also the stage of slow sleep, t .e. long deep and sound sleep with dreams,
- fast sleep lasts a maximum of 15 minutes. Although this is a separate period of sleep, researchers often call REM sleep another step in slow sleep. It is in these last minutes before awakening that our brain "wakes up", i.e. completely restores its activity and removes the human body from the country of dreams and dreams. Thus, acting as a psychological defense, during the transition from the world of the subconscious to reality. During REM sleep, blood flow in the brain and heart rate increase, production of adrenal hormones increases, pressure surges and changes in respiratory rhythm can be observed.
Sleep performs a number of essential functions in the human body. Firstly, it provides a good rest. After all, there is nothing better than sleeping after a hard day's work and it doesn’t matter if you were engaged in mental or physical work. Sleep restores strength and energizes for a new day.
During sleep, our brain processes the information received during the day, evaluates and experiences the events that happened to the person. Strong sleep is important for the immune system. Sleep disturbance painfully affects human health, constant lack of sleep, coupled with nervousness, cause irreparable harm and weaken immunity.
Scientists believe that sleep is a natural mechanism for the body to adapt to changes in the level of illumination. Historically, most people sleep at night, however, there is also daytime sleep, the so-called siesta. In the hot southern countries, it is customary to get up at dawn and relax after dinner, when the sun is at its zenith and doing anything on the street is simply impossible because of the sweltering heat.
The duration of sleep depends on many factors, for example, the person’s age, his lifestyle and degree of fatigue matter. Young children sleep most of all, and elderly people tend to get up “with roosters”. It is believed that a healthy sleep should last at least 8 hours, and the minimum for normal health a person should sleep 6 hours. If the duration of sleep is reduced to 5 hours or less, then this is a risk of development insomnia.
I can’t sleep, what should I do?
Why can't I fall asleep? We all asked ourselves this question when we could not fall asleep for a long time, tossing and turning in bed. So, if I want to sleep and can’t fall asleep, then the reason for this may be:
- disturbances in wakefulness and sleep. This condition is often inherent in newborn children who get enough sleep during the day and then do not want to sleep at night. Then they say that the baby mixed up day and night. The same thing can happen to adults, for example, if a person has shift work or he often flies by plane to other cities and countries, and his body is stressed by changing time zones. In addition, often we just don’t want to go on time to sleep on weekends ("weekend insomnia"), which leads to a shift in schedule and lack of sleep on Monday,
- uncomfortable place to sleep, as well as inappropriate bedding. Many in vain save on bedding, a comfortable orthopedic mattress and a suitable bed, believing that this does not play an important role in the sleep process, saying that if you want to sleep, you will fall asleep on bare ground. Of course, in this statement there is a bit of truth, but not everything is so simple. The quality of sleep, as well as its duration, plays a decisive role in the well-being of a person. It is one thing to oversleep, tossing and turning on an uncomfortable bed for 12 hours, and it’s another thing to really rest on a comfortable mattress, with a comfortable pillow and bed linen in a well-ventilated room,
- bad habits that harm the whole body and have a negative impact on the period of falling asleep, as well as the duration and quality of sleep. For example, smoking before bedtime interferes with relaxation, because nicotine constricts blood vessels,
- disease and sleep pathology. Many diseases in which a person suffers from a pain syndrome interfere with normal sleep. As a rule, the peak of pain occurs in the evening or at night, which prevents falling asleep.
Among the main sleep disorders are:
- insomnia (insomnia) Is a condition in which a person cannot fall asleep or sleeps poorly and poorly,
- hypersomnia (pathological drowsiness) Is the opposite of insomnia, in which a person on the contrary wants to sleep all the time,
- apnea (snore) Is a breathing disorder in a dream,
- sleep paralysisIs a condition in which a person’s muscles are paralyzed before falling asleep,
- parasomnia those. a condition that is caused by nervous strain or stress, in which a person can walk in a dream, suffersleepwalking,epileptic seizures or tormented by constant nightmares.
How to fall asleep very quickly
So, how to fall asleep, if you do not want to sleep, and tomorrow you need to get up early. There are several basic techniques or quick fall asleep techniques that will help you fall asleep firmly in a short time. However, the main principle of all these methods is to observe the sleep regimen. In addition, it does not matter if the person adheres to the basic rules of a healthy lifestyle or not.
Often, patients asking a doctor a question about how to fall asleep quickly if they do not want to sleep, expect the doctor to prescribe magic sleeping pills for them.
However, not everyone can use the medication solution to sleep problems. In addition, a good specialist will not rush to prescribe medications until he calculates the cause of the malaise and collects a complete history of the patient.
Hypnotic drugs are an extensive group of medicines that are used both for sleep regulation and for anesthesia during surgery. Archaeologists believe that natural sleeping pills, for example, a plant such as Belladonna or Belladonna, people used two thousand years ago.
In Egyptian manuscripts there is an indication that healers prescribed opium to their patients as a remedy for insomnia. Alcohol as a sleeping pill and the simplest method of anesthesia, the American Indians used about a thousand years ago.
The first drug anesthesia was invented in Germany at the turn of the 19th century. True, it included toxic and narcotic compounds (opium, dope grass, mandrake root, aconite, hashishand others), which, although they plunged the patient into sleep, but at the same time had a negative, and sometimes fatal, effect on his body.
Nowadays sleeping pills and drugs approved for use in anesthesiology have moved to a whole new level. Они намного безопаснее для человека (при разумном использовании не вызывают физиологического или психологического привыкания, практически лишены побочных эффектов). Кроме того их состав больше не токсичен и не ядовит.
However, the principle of exposure to the body of such funds has remained the same. Sleeping pills reduce the level of excitability of the nervous system, thus providing a sound sleep. It should be noted that drugs based on barbituric acid (Pentothal, Phenobarbital, Thiopental, Amobarbital), which for decades have been the most popular sleeping pills, are now universally replaced by new generation drugs, for example, derivatives cyclopyrrolones or melatonin.
The latter, in turn, is considered the forefront of modern medicine.Melatonin - it is nothing but hormone, which is produced by the human body to regulate circadian rhythms. In simple words, it is this compound that is responsible for our internal clock, which tells us when to sleep and when to stay awake.
The main problem of modern mankind is the level of illumination of our cities. With the discovery of electricity, daylight has become much larger. After all, now even at night you can turn on the light and will be almost the same as during the day. Due to the cardinal change in the rhythm of human life, the level of production melatoninshrinking, which inevitably leads to problems with sleep.
Therefore, doctors recommend taking drugs based on melatoninto stimulate the process of falling asleep. This is especially true for people who work in shifts or often fly. Both of them have a failure of the "internal clock", which melatonin helps to set up. To all that hormone Researchers also attribute antioxidant, antitumor, anti-stress, and immunostimulating properties.
Despite many advantages, sleeping pills are a double-edged sword. On the one hand, drugs of this group help a person to establish a dream, but on the other hand, they can have a detrimental effect on health and cause addiction. Therefore, one should always remember the danger of developing dependence on sleeping pills, which will only add problems to the person.
Often people need help to restore sleep after stress, which can occur for various reasons. Psychological trauma, recently experienced surgery, illness, as well as moving or changing jobs - this is stress for the body, and, therefore, for all its systems. In stressful situations, our body defends itself and produces the so-called «stress hormones»— adrenaline, cortisol andprolactin.
In response to the action of hormones, the human body begins to work in another "emergency" mode, preparing for action. Therefore, we feel not at ease, we are nervous and feel anxiety. Stress hormones make the heart beat faster, which affects the level of pressure, the respiratory system and, of course, sleep.
Fear and uncertainty make it difficult to fall asleep, and a person in addition to stress gets another problem - insomnia. Therefore, it is important to know how to overcome stress so that it cannot affect other areas of human life. Experts advise to solve all their problems before evening and not “bring” them home, where an atmosphere of calm and security should prevail.
Often people themselves provoke insomnia, very much wanting to fall asleep before some important event or trip, thus irritating his nervous system and provoking stress. It is believed that in such cases, you should not force yourself and further escalate the situation. It is better to get out of bed and do something useful or distracting, for example, breathe fresh air or walk your pet.
“I wake up at night and cannot sleep soundly” - this phrase was heard by many doctors from their patients. And each of us, at least once in his life, wondered how to quickly fall asleep at night, if you can’t. You can wake up from a sharp sound, touch, from a nightmare or because of an insect bite. It happens that we wake up in the middle of the night for no reason and then, trying to fall asleep faster, get nervous and angry.
In fact, this is another example of a stressful situation that can be resolved in only one way - by calming down. Of course, if the doctor prescribed you sleeping pills, then you can resort to their help, but there are other safer, albeit not so fast-acting options.
To begin with, it is better to turn to specialists for help, especially if you cannot sleep at night without constantly waking up after a certain period of time. Such an anxious dream or its complete absence can signal various malfunctions in the normal functioning of the human body. A somnologist will help answer the question why the patient cannot fall asleep at night and what to do in such a situation.
In addition to sleeping pills, sleep problems solve antidepressants, herbal sedative or anti-anxiety drugs. The above medicines cause drowsiness and soothe, thus helping a person to relax and plunge into the "kingdom of Morpheus."
Most often, to solve sleep problems, use drugs such as:
- Novo-Passit - This is a combined drug, which includes medicinal herbs and hormone guaifenzin. It helps to improve the functioning of the nervous system and cure insomnia,
- Fitosed - this sedative facilitates and significantly speeds up the process of falling asleep,
- Corvalol, Valocordin,tinctureValerian- these are plant-based drops that help calm down and fall asleep,
- Motherwort Forte - this drug contains in its composition magnesium (lack of which in the body exacerbates sleep problems), as well as vitamins Group B,
- Melatonin - this is a drug, which includes the same name hormoneproduced by the human body and responsible for the work of the "internal clock".
In addition to medical treatment, sleep problems can be corrected with the help of such procedures as acupuncture, hypnosis, meditation, homeopathy, electro-therapy (by exposure to pulsed current) and others.
How to fall asleep in 5 minutes
How to fall asleep quickly in 5 minutes? And in general, is there any universal way that will allow anyone who wants to plunge into a sound sleep in a matter of minutes. According to Dr. Andrew Weil, who is studying the effects of stress on the human body and how to deal with it, he was able to find the answer to the question of how to fall asleep in 5 minutes.
The thing is that the main reason that a healthy person cannot sleep normally is chronic fatigueand tension. Going to bed, we think about what happened during the day, experience some events, analyze them or worry about what we have to survive tomorrow. As a result, we “wind up” ourselves, which leads to the development of “stress hormones”, and sleep does not go on.
Based on this, the scientist concludes that there is nothing better than breathing exercises or meditation before bedtime. These techniques will help calm down and tune in a positive way. In order to fall asleep quickly, Dr. Vale suggests using a breathing technique called «4-7-8 trick»which monks and yogis successfully apply in their daily practice.
So, adhering to this technique, you need to act in the following sequence:
- first you should inhale deeply through the nose for 4 seconds, trying to relax,
- then hold your breath for about 7 seconds
- and then exhale for 8 seconds.
Another breathing technique that helps you fall asleep involves the following procedure:
- you need to inhale slowly for 5 seconds,
- then take a 5 second break,
- and finally exhale also for 5 seconds.
Counting breaths also helps to make you sleepy and fall asleep quickly. This method involves counting inspirations and exhalations. You need to breathe through the mouth and take it this way: inhale-one, exhale-two, inhale-three, exhale-four and so on until ten. Then the cycle repeats again. Performing this technique, experts advise concentrating on breathing and, as it were, passing through their own lungs with air.
Practicing psychologists advise their patients to calm and relax an exercise such as a carousel. Take a horizontal position, lie comfortably and relax. Lower and upper limbs do not press against the body. Start with a calm, regular breath and imagine that a stream of warm air passes through your right ear, hold your breath.
Further, warm air on the exhale follows through the shoulder of your right hand, and then the brush. Finally, pause. Then take a breath and again imagine that the air passes through the right ear. Hold your breath. Exhale the air and “send” it to the thigh of the leg and foot. Take a break.
Again, “inhale” through the right ear and hold your breath, and then on the exhale “send” air to the thigh and foot of the left leg, pause. Inhale, sending a stream of air over your right shoulder, and hold your breath. On exhalation, the air flow should “pass” the shoulder and the left hand. Pause and then inhale deeply for the last time. Hold your breath, and as you exhale pass air through your left ear.
The second round or cycle should begin with a sigh through the left ear, followed by a pause. You exhale through the left shoulder, arm and hand. Further, a deep breath and pause, and exhale through the thigh and foot of the left leg. After a pause, take a breath and hold your breath, and exhale through the thigh and foot of the right leg.
After a pause, inhale through the left ear, hold your breath and exhale through the right hand. Pause and again take full lungs of air, hold your breath and end the cycle by exhaling through your right ear.
As a result, in one cycle you take 5 breaths and as many exhalations. During this time, you should relax and concentrate fully on the flow of air that passes through your body. The main thing to remember is that when you exhale, the body relaxes most. Therefore, in any breathing practice, the expiratory phase is the determining place.
Technique "Special Services", which takes into account the physiological aspects of sleep. According to this method, you need to sit comfortably in bed, relax and close your eyes, roll them under the eyelids up. During sleep, eyeballs are located in this way, so this method helps to fall asleep quickly.
Using the technique of "reverse blinking" a person should take a comfortable position, close his eyelids and open and close his eyes at regular intervals. This is the opposite of blinking. As a result, brain activity decreases, the body relaxes, and a person goes into sleep.
In addition to the above techniques, you can use such auxiliary tools as:
- herbal tea or warm milk with honey,
- dill infusion,
- self-massage of the forehead in the area between the eyebrows, massaging the auricles, as well as the inside of the wrists,
- relaxing exercises, for example, “Beach” auto-training, when a person imagines that he is lying on a warm sea coast and hears a soothing sound of the sea or «Ball»when you need to imagine a large ball swinging on the waves.
Listed below are a few universal guidelines that can help you get a better night's sleep:
- Plan your day. Compliance with the regimen helps the body get used to a certain rhythm of life. Researchers have found that the human body breaks out of the usual rhythm in just a couple of days. Therefore, it can be really difficult to recover from several sleepless nights and go to bed on time. It is believed that for normal health an adult should sleep at least eight hours a day. True, the body of each of us is unique, so someone needs to rest more, and someone will have to sleep for six hours to stay awake.
- Daytime sleep is beneficial not only for children, but also helps an adult to freshen up and gain strength in the middle of the day. True, it is important to comply with the measure. Since, having slept a couple of hours in the afternoon, you are unlikely to be able to fall asleep easily in the evening. Therefore, some experts do not recommend people who have problems falling asleep to relax during the day, for them it will be the best way to accumulate fatigue until the evening. Another thing is shift workers, for whom daytime sleep is considered the norm, because they work at night, and rest during the day.
- When changing time zones, it can be very difficult to fall asleep, because not only the person’s day routine gets lost, but also the usual time of wakefulness and sleep. When you fly to the west, the first day in a new place after a morning arrival lengthens, so to sleep well, you just have to endure until the evening. With flights to the east, things are more complicated, so you can resort to help melatonin, which will help to adjust the person’s internal clock.
- Exercise is good for the body, but it should end at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. Otherwise, an overly excited body cannot fall asleep. Sports such as aerobics, running, skiing, Nordic walking, ellipsoid, swimming and cycling help to establish a dream.
- Not only the daily routine, but also proper nutrition play an important role in the process of establishing sleep. The last meal should be at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. In addition, you should carefully choose the dishes that are worth preparing for dinner. Heavy and slowly digestible foods should be discarded. It is better to give preference to protein products, for example, fish, lean meat, cottage cheese, yoghurts, and some fruits.
- Caffeine- This is the enemy of sound sleep, especially if you like to drink drinks or products containing this compound in the afternoon. Also, do not abuse chocolate in the evening, because you will save your figure and be able to fall asleep quickly.
- Of particular importance for easy falling asleep is the activity or physical activity that a person engages directly 2-3 hours before bedtime. It is believed that in order to avoid sleep problems, you should avoid watching TV, using a computer, phones or other gadgets before falling asleep. In addition, you should not perform complex calculations or solve logic problems before going to bed. All of the above actions do not contribute to relaxation and tranquility, but rather excite the nervous system, making it difficult to sleep peacefully. In the evening, it is recommended to read in bed or take a relaxing bath, and it is better to leave active activity in the morning.
How to fall asleep quickly
You are dead tired and want to sleep. But as soon as you bow your head to the pillow, the dream disappears somewhere immediately. And now it’s getting light, and you all tossing and turning from side to side. Common situation? In our review - expert advice on how to fall asleep quickly. Experience is shared by Eric Olson, co-director of the Sleep Medicine Center at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Harnet Valia, a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic for Sleep Disorders.
How to fall asleep with insomnia
Answer the question of how to fall asleep if insomnia tormenting a person, you can only figure out what kind of condition it is, how it arises and whether it is possible to cope with it yourself. So, insomniaor insomnia - This is one of the most common sleep disorders or disorders, in which a person sleeps poorly and has little or no sleep at all.
The risk of insomnia increases with shift work or with frequent flights with changing time zones.
In addition, this malaise can also occur due to constant overwork, in stressful situations, with some diseases, as well as in overly noisy and lighted rooms used for sleep.
If the patient has the following symptoms, then the doctor is likely to diagnose him insomniaorchronic lack of sleep:
- constant poor falling asleep,
- poor quality of sleep, when a person constantly wakes up and then cannot sleep for a long time or has nightmares,
- sleep disturbance is observed at least three times a week for a month,
- unstable psycho-emotional state associated with constant lack of sleep,
- increased anxiety and irritability.
The causes of insomnia may be:
- adverse sleep conditions (uncomfortable bed, pillow, mattress, synthetic bedding, poorly ventilated room, noise, psychological discomfort),
- failure in the usual mode of a person’s day due to shift work or flight,
- taking certain medications (antidepressants, nootropics, corticosteroids, antipsychotics) or psychotropic drugs,
- neuralgic and somatic disorders (hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, asthma, esophageal reflux, dementia, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson's disease, infectious diseases,accompanied by a fever heart disease, pain, itchingdue to skin diseases mental disorders, depressive states),
- elderly age.
Insomnia - This is a serious malaise, which not only causes a lot of inconvenience to a person, but also provokes the development of a number of serious diseases, for example, myocardial infarctionviolations in metabolism, stroke, depression and others. That is why you should immediately consult a doctor at the first symptoms of insomnia.
How to overcome insomnia and learn how to easily fall asleep? At the initial stage, the somnologist (a doctor dealing with sleep problems) conducts a full examination of the patient and establishes the causes of the ailment. This is an extremely important part in the treatment. insomnia. Поскольку именно от причины данного состояния врач выбирает подходящее лечение.
It is possible and necessary to fight insomnia without drugs, because sleeping pills only help to eliminate the manifestations of malaise, and do not eliminate its cause. By taking the magic pill, you, of course, will fall asleep, but insomnia from this will not disappear anywhere. Everything else, as we mentioned above, sleeping pillscan be addictive and have a number of contraindications and severe side effects.
Sleep with insomnia will help:
- Psychological counseling, i.e. sessions with a psychiatrist or psychotherapist, where the specialist will deal with insomnia caused by stress or an unstable psycho-emotional state of the patient, caused, for example, by trauma or experienced life events. A psychotherapist teaches his patients various relaxing techniques that help them to tune in a positive mood and fall asleep.
- Correction of the circadian rhythm (sleep and wake cycle) of a person using phototherapy (exposure to light),chronotherapy, as well as taking medications containingmelatonin.
- Therapy of neurological, mental or somatic diseases, the symptoms of which (for example, pain, pruritus, depression) can cause insomnia.
- The withdrawal of drugs that cause insomnia or their replacement with other drugs.
- Instructions on sleep hygiene. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly believe that it is not necessary to buy a good bed, mattress or bedding to get enough sleep. In addition, for a sound and healthy sleep, it is necessary to ventilate the bedroom, do not litter it with old and dusty things, and also periodically do wet cleaning. The clothes in which the person sleeps also matter. You should be comfortable, i.e. not cold, not hot, pajamas should not be small or large, and it is even better to choose natural fabrics that will not cause unpleasant sensations of itching or burning.
In the treatment insomnia Doctors recommend that their patients keep a sleep diary, which helps to identify the causes of their malaise. Various breathing techniques, which we also talked about above, help to fall asleep. People suffering from insomnia will not be amiss to learn the basics of meditation and get acquainted with other relaxation methods. All this will help to calm down, relax and fall asleep sweetly.
General recommendations for sleep hygiene or what to do or not to do to fall asleep:
- Experts recommend going to bed and waking up at the same time, i.e. adhere to sleep and wakefulness, then the body itself will get tired by a certain time, and you can easily fall asleep.
- An active lifestyle and physical activity help to relax, and therefore fall asleep during time, the main thing is not to overdo it and not to get excited just before bedtime.
- Adjust your daily menu so that in the afternoon do not eat drinks containing caffeineas well as foods that are hard to digest.
- To abandon bad habits, it is better of course forever or at least a couple of hours before bedtime.
- Going to bed just to sleep.
- Exclude daytime sleep, as Having slept in the afternoon, you may not want to go to bed in the evening.
- If possible, avoid strong emotional upheavals and feelings, even joyful ones, in the afternoon. For example, some people like to watch a horror movie before going to bed, and then they cannot fall asleep, because all sorts of fools climb into their heads
Seem to the doctor
He slept, of course, much better, but Sleep Disorder - share experiences like you. Now he sleeps without any medicine like a bruised one and a half years. How much a child should sleep - preschooler, schoolboy, teenager. How much sleep an adult needs. How to establish a healthy sleep c.
What else will help to fall asleep without sleeping pills, if you can’t sleep?
To develop a habit of easily falling asleep, master some relaxation technique. One of these is the well-known breathing technique, which promotes complete relaxation.
The essence of the technique is as follows: special breathing exercises regulate the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide, contribute to the complete relaxation of the muscular system of the body, and bring “thoughts in order”. As scientists noted, this respiratory system works akin to an air tranquilizer, a portion of a miraculous drug that does not need to be used, but the effect is amazing.
So, how to sleep with insomnia without pills? Learning to breathe using the 4: 7: 8 technique!
What is a set of special exercises for breathing?
- Lie on your back, straightening your limbs. Set yourself up for easy breathing. The position of the tongue is in the sky, behind the front teeth.
- Take a deep breath, hold your breath for four seconds. Hold for another seven seconds.
- The exhalation should last at least eight seconds.
- Follow this algorithm 3-4 times.
Take care of the correct preparation for bed - master the relaxation technique, and soon you will forget about sleeping pills forever.SharePinTweetSendSendSend