Cauliflower - 650 g
Bay leaf - 1 pc.
Salt - 0.5 tsp + to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Thyme - 2-3 branches (optional)
Butter - 5-10 g (optional)
Fresh greens - 1 sprig (for decoration)
- 81 kcal
- 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes.
Step by step recipe with photos and videos
Cauliflower puree is a great option for a tasty, light and very easy to prepare vegetable side dish that will be enjoyed even by those who are not a big fan of cabbage in particular, or vegetables in general.
Cooked in milk, with the addition of a minimum amount of spices, the puree has an incredibly delicate creamy taste and is so light, airy and creamy that you will not understand at first glance that it is by no means a potato. The milk added during cooking not only gives the puree a snow-white color and an appetizing taste, but also very skillfully masks the characteristic smell and taste of cabbage in the finished dish.
A great option for a diet, low-calorie, but at the same time really tasty side dish for everyone who is looking for variety in food or is not averse to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in the diet in the name of a slim waist. Give it a try!
For cooking you will need such ingredients.
Wash, dry, and then disassemble a head of cauliflower into small inflorescences, removing the head of cabbage.
Place the cabbage inflorescences in a small pot. Add bay leaf, 0.5 tsp of salt and, if desired, 2-3 branches of thyme.
Pour enough milk into the pan so that it barely covers the inflorescences of cabbage (I got about 700 ml). Bring the milk to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a minimum, cover the pan with a lid and cook the cabbage for 15 minutes until the inflorescences become soft.
Then remove the bay leaf and thyme and strain the cabbage. Milk, in which cabbage was boiled, also save.
Grind the hot cabbage with a blender or food processor for at least 5 minutes until an airy, smooth and uniform mash is obtained.
Add ground black pepper to taste, some more salt and, if desired, butter. Adjust the density of mashed potatoes according to your preferences, adding 1-2 tbsp. hot milk (if necessary). Mix well again.
The cauliflower puree is ready.
Serve hot to the table, garnishing with a pinch of fresh herbs if desired.
Selection and preparation of cauliflower
Mashed potatoes can be made both from fresh cabbage and from frozen. Preference is undoubtedly given to the first option. This issue is not discussed at all if the dish is prepared for the baby.
Consider the rules for choosing a cauliflower head:
- the head should be firm and resilient,
- inflorescences should be located as tightly as possible to each other and have a light beige color,
- green leaf mass should fit the head tightly,
- any browning or damage is unacceptable.
Initially, the head of cabbage is disassembled into large inflorescences and washed under running water.
If mashed potatoes are prepared for the baby, then large shoots need to be additionally soaked in saline. To do this, in a liter of water, 2 tablespoons of sea or table salt are bred. After the crystals are dissolved, the cabbage is lowered into the liquid for half an hour. This manipulation allows you to get rid of small insects, which may have chosen a vegetable.
After soaking, large shoots are rinsed once more and disassembled into small inflorescences. It's time to start processing the vegetable.
Cooking methods for mashed cabbage
You can boil cauliflower in several ways. We will analyze in detail each of them:
- On the stove. The treated inflorescences are laid in boiling water and boiled for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat. It is better to keep the lid tightly closed so that water-soluble vitamins do not evaporate.
- In a slow cooker. Cauliflower can be cooked in the “Stew” mode by adding a small amount of water to the bowl. In this case, the cabbage processing time is 15 minutes. The cooker lid must always be closed. Another option is to use the “Steaming” function, and boil the vegetable in a special bowl for 20 minutes after boiling the liquid.
- In a double boiler. If you prefer to use a double boiler, then you need to prepare cauliflower inflorescences in it for 20 minutes.
- In the microwave. Inflorescences are placed in a container suitable for use in microwave ovens, and water is added. For 1 kilogram of cauliflower you will need 100 grams of liquid. On top of the cup loosely cover with a lid or plastic bag. Prepare the vegetable at maximum power for 5 minutes. After the specified time, check the readiness of cabbage. This can be done using a kitchen knife or fork. If the instruments do not penetrate well, then cooking continues in the same mode for another 3 minutes.
- In the oven. Cabbage is placed in a small baking sheet and, almost completely, is filled with water. Prepare inflorescences in the oven for 25 minutes. The heating temperature should be 180 - 200 degrees.
The classic recipe for cauliflower puree
- cabbage - 1 head, with a total weight of approximately 1 kilogram,
- butter - 50 grams,
- water or cabbage decoction - 200 milliliters,
- salt - 1 teaspoon.
Prepared cabbage is heat treated until tender by any of the methods listed above. Fold half of the softened pieces into a blender bowl, add 100 milliliters of water and punch all together until a homogeneous consistency. Then add the second parts of the products, salt and oil. The procedure is repeated. Ready mashed cauliflower can be pepper with freshly ground pepper to taste.
Channel "Video. Recipes Culinary "presents you the recipe for making mashed cauliflower and zucchini
How to diversify mashed potatoes
You can add mashed potatoes from other vegetables to the cabbage base. It goes well with cauliflower: carrots, onions, broccoli, pumpkin, zucchini, garlic and potatoes. You can also add chicken yolk and sour cream in mashed potatoes.
Watch the video from the channel “Video. Recipes Culinary ”, detailing the preparation of mashed potatoes from carrots, cabbage and potatoes
Cauliflower puree for the baby
Features of preparing mashed potatoes for babies are as follows:
- cabbage is thoroughly washed and soaked in saline,
- you need to cook cabbage in clean, preferably bottled water for baby food,
- you don’t need to add any spices to the dish,
- the consistency of the puree for the baby should be the same as kefir,
- You can dilute the puree with clean water, cabbage broth or breast milk,
- Extra virgin olive oil is used.
Harvesting mashed potatoes for the winter
Cauliflower mashed potatoes are not screwed under the lid for the winter, since any home preservation is contraindicated in children under 3 years of age.
The way out of the situation is freezing. Puree without additives is packaged in small containers or plastic cups, and sent deep into the freezer. Frozen cauliflower puree is stored for approximately 10 months. The main thing is to observe the temperature regime of the refrigerator at -16 ... -18ºС.
The benefits of cauliflower puree for a child
First of all, it should be emphasized that this vegetable has a rich composition. He contains:
- a lot of protein
- healthy dietary fiber (at the same time there are fewer of them than in the white one, therefore the risk of colic and swelling is reduced),
- wide range of acids
- vitamins - first of all B, E, D, A, C, K,
- minerals - it is iron, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium.
Pediatricians advise to stay on this particular vegetable as a complementary food for the following reasons:
- cauliflower stimulates the elimination of toxins, normalizes intestinal motility and microflora, and also restores the mucous membrane,
- improves the condition of the heart muscle and blood vessels,
- due to its iron content is an excellent prophylaxis of anemia
- relieves inflammation
- positively affects the functioning of the nervous system.
Recommendations and tips for the preparation and introduction to the diet
It is best to cook the first complementary foods from vegetables grown at home. This will guarantee that cabbage does not contain harmful substances. If this is not possible, soak the store product for four hours in water - during this time it will get rid of pesticides and toxins.
Important! Inspect the cabbage head before buying: the presence of black spots, green or brown patches, damage is unacceptable. Inflorescences should be light beige or milky.
You can make mashed potatoes and frozen cauliflower, but preferably still a fresh vegetable that contains more vitamins. When choosing frozen cabbage, give preference to one on which there is not a lot of ice. Thaw the vegetable at room temperature.
Rules for the introduction of mashed potatoes in the children's diet
- start with a small portion of the dish - half, or even a quarter, of a teaspoon or a baby spoon, let's eat at lunch or in the morning,
- wait at least a day before re-offering the crumbs of mashed potatoes,
- the optimal age for such a “tasting” is about 4-6 months,
- you need to increase the portion size very smoothly, gradually bringing it to 50 g,
- so that the baby is more likely to try mashed potatoes, at first it can be diluted with breast milk or with the mixture that you feed the baby, later milk is replaced with unrefined sunflower oil (two to three drops),
- the consistency of mashed potatoes should be like kefir, otherwise the baby will not be able to swallow food.
You can cook mashed potatoes in a slow cooker, in a microwave, and in a double boiler. The answer to the question of how to cook cauliflower for baby puree depends on the technology chosen: in the first case, cooking will take about 25 minutes, in the second - ten, in a double boiler - fifteen.
Before cooking, soak the inflorescences for 20 minutes in water: this will get rid of insects inside (if any).
Important! Do not salt the first servings of mashed potatoes, this can damage children's health and cause the crumbs to refuse to feed. Do not introduce cauliflower into the diet at the same time as other dishes.
Recipe for Baby Cauliflower Puree
If you want to make mashed cauliflower as the first feeding for babies, use the following recipe:
- separate several inflorescences, rinse them thoroughly under running water, brush them,
- boil water in a saucepan, throw cabbage into it,
- reduce the fire when the water boils again, and boil the inflorescences under the lid for ten minutes,
- let the cabbage cool, then grind it with a blender or grind through a special strainer,
- add in the puree a little milk (breast) or milk mixture, so that the dish acquires the consistency of kefir.
If you cook mashed cauliflower using a microwave, steam or multicooker, the recipes are no different than the cooking time. Older children of mashed potatoes can be diluted with vegetable broth and add vegetable oil to it.
After the baby has mastered this dish and met with other vegetables, you can make multi-component puree from a mixture of vegetables.
Important! Do not salt baby food!
Delicate, airy mashed cauliflower is a great alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
Try and see!
- K color empty - 500 grams,
- cream 33% fat - 50 milliliters,
- butter 82% fat - 50 grams,
- salt is about taste.
To make mashed potatoes, use fresh or frozen cauliflower.
Fresh cabbage must be disassembled into small inflorescences. It is permissible to use frozen cabbage without defrosting.
Cut the butter into small pieces and bring to room temperature.
Boil enough water in a large saucepan to cook the cabbage.
In boiling salted water, place the cabbage inflorescences and cook for no longer than 3 minutes from the moment of boiling again.
Drain and return the hot cabbage to the pan.
Add cream to boiled cabbage and simmer for 3-5 minutes together, until cooked. Salt to taste.
Transfer cabbage into the bowl of a stationary blender or food processor. Turn on the whipping mode, starting at low revs. Without stopping beating, gradually add butter to the cabbage. If possible, gradually increase the whipping speed - this way the puree will be saturated with oxygen and become very airy. Beat mashed potatoes until smooth.
If desired, it is permissible to add to the prepared puree fillers to taste: fresh herbs, fried onions, creamy, hard, smoked or spiced cheese, pieces of fried bacon or mushrooms, curry powder, Dijon mustard, creamy horseradish and many others.
Cauliflower puree prepared according to this recipe has a very delicate, delicate, sweet and creamy taste, has an incredibly airy consistency.
Serve mashed potatoes as a side dish for any meat, poultry or fish dishes.