Waxing is a procedure in which hairs are removed with the root. Microtraumas are present on the skin after manipulation. If it is incorrect to monitor the dermis after, and violate the rules of the rehabilitation period, various undesirable manifestations may occur. Sometimes after waxing, irritation appears. It is accompanied by itching, redness, swelling of the tissues and severe discomfort.
The reason for this phenomenon may be:
- Non-compliance with hygiene by the woman herself. The skin should always be clean before and after hair removal. Before the procedure, it is advisable to wash the epidermis with soap and steam. This will not only eliminate all germs and pollution, but also anesthetize the procedure.
- Lack of sanitary standards in the cosmetologist’s office. The master is obliged to monitor the cleanliness and disinfection of all used tools. A disposable diaper should be placed on the couch.
- No scrubbing before the procedure. It is necessary to remove the keratinized layer of the dermis so that there are no problems during and after hair removal.
- Poor antiseptic treatment before and after waxing. The specialist must carefully process the entire area that he plans to epilate. After the procedure, a special composition is applied - cream after depilation. It moisturizes and kills germs. If this is not, then this is done separately: first, the skin is disinfected, then moisturized.
- Failure to comply with the rules that the master will talk about. You can’t visit the solarium or sunbathe in the sun, bath, sauna, swimming pool and other public places. This ban will be relevant for 3-4 days, while the wounds are healed. It is undesirable to bathe in the bathroom at this time and bathe under hot water in the shower.
- Wearing squeezing, coarse synthetic clothing. After manipulation, you can not irritate the skin. It is advisable to wear something loose, natural and soft.
- Mechanical effect on the skin. Combing, rubbing with a washcloth, etc.
- Hypersensitive and thin dermis. If you are the owner of just such a skin, then irritation will appear with any method of removing vegetation. This can be minimized by observing all the rules at any stage.
- Apply decorative cosmetics or use deodorant in the first two days after the procedure.
- Poor composition. Cheap or expired products often cause irritation. If there are any unnatural components in the composition, then an allergic reaction can also be added.
- Poor wax removal after hair removal. You can not leave the composition on the skin, even in a minimal amount. It is removed with oil and napkins. If this is not done, the pores become clogged and, as a result, irritation and ulcers.
- Improper removal of vegetation. If the master is inexperienced, then he can make technical mistakes. In order for this not to happen, choose a trusted specialist. If you are doing the manipulation yourself, then learn the technique of waxing from and to in theory, and only then begin to practice.
If all the above are taken into account and the risks are eliminated, then irritation will not appear.
What does it look like?
Irritation after waxing looks like:
- small red dots
In the photo you can see what it is.
Why does irritation occur?
In the process of depilation, exposure to the skin of varying degrees of intensity occurs. So, when shaving, the machine along with the vegetation also removes particles of the epidermis, and when using an epilator, sugar paste or wax, even deeper layers of the skin are affected, since the hairs are pulled out together with the root. The follicles are connected to the fatty ducts, which, in turn, are located in close proximity to the nerve endings. For this reason, when hair is removed, irritation occurs, and the excreted sebum can provoke inflammation. The epidermis can respond to this as follows (depending on individual characteristics):
- the appearance of red or pinkish spots,
- dryness, tightness and peeling.
In addition to mechanical effects, there are other reasons for the appearance of irritation:
- excessively dry and sensitive skin
- an allergic reaction to a component of a cosmetic product (depilation cream, shugaring paste, wax, shaving gel, etc.),
- first hair removal / depilation (in young girls who are just starting to get involved in hair removal procedures, skin that is not used to such effects can react with irritation to the first 2-3 sessions),
- lack of preparation of the epidermis (steaming, moisturizing and removing dead particles make the procedure less traumatic),
- non-compliance with the methodology (getting rid of excess vegetation without certain skills and dexterity is fraught with irritation),
- the use of low-quality cosmetic products,
- lack of proper care after the procedure (moisturized and “nourished” skin is less prone to problems).
Irritation is not just a cosmetic defect. As a rule, red tubercles on the skin itch, delivering a lot of discomfort. In advanced cases, inflammation and pustules may appear. In such a situation, it is better to consult a dermatologist.
Skin reddened after shugaring or wax depilation is a normal phenomenon that disappears after 2-3 hours (with sensitive epidermis, it can last up to 48 hours).
Knowing the causes of irritation, you can organize a hair removal procedure in such a way as to avoid trouble. To do this is much easier than to eliminate the annoying consequences. Prevention is carried out at all stages of hair removal / depilation:
- method selection
- subsequent care.
Most often, irritation occurs when shaving. If possible, it is advisable to choose a different method of depilation, or at least follow the recommendations described below.
The risk of irritation increases with removal of hairs against growth. Therefore, shugaring is the most preferred depilation method, especially for owners of sensitive skin.
However, irritation can be avoided by using any method of vegetation removal.
A day before the procedure, it is recommended to treat the necessary skin areas with a scrub. This will remove the dead particles of the epidermis and raise the hairs, making it easier to remove. Immediately before the session, you should:
- Take a hot shower or bath, wipe dry (the steamed epidermis is less traumatic to hair removal, and also not so sensitive to pain).
- Wipe the treated areas with an antibacterial agent (for excessively dry and sensitive skin, it is advisable not to use alcohol-containing products).
- Wait for the epidermis to dry.
Hair removal procedure
The right choice and preparation of tools for hair removal, as well as adherence to the methodology are factors that reduce the risk of irritation. Regardless of the method selected, you must:
- check the skin reaction before using any cosmetic product (apply a small amount of product on the elbow bend: if after a day there are no undesirable manifestations, the composition can be used),
- stock up on drugs from reputable manufacturers,
- do not use expired funds
- sanitize the hands and tools that will be used during the procedure.
Table: recommendations for the use of various methods of getting rid of unwanted vegetation
Skin Care After Hair Removal
After the procedure, you need to treat the area cleaned from unnecessary hairs with a disinfectant (you can buy a special product or use Chlorhexidine or 3% hydrogen peroxide). To give the skin a rest, you should:
- Refuse for 2-3 hours from taking a shower and bath.
- Limit any mechanical effects on the epidermis:
- don't rub
- do not resort to massage and other cosmetic procedures,
- to walk for several hours in loose clothing made from natural fabrics or without it at all,
- Do not wear underwear.
- During the day, do not use a hard washcloth, cosmetic lotions and deodorants.
- For 24 hours, do not visit the baths, saunas, solarium, do not sunbathe in the sun.
A day after the procedure, you can start using lotions and body creams, preferably with soothing components (chamomile, calendula, aloe, etc.). After 3-5 days, it is recommended to start applying the scrub 1-2 times a week. Such care will not only reduce the likelihood of irritation, but also avoid hair ingrowth.
In the cosmetic store you can buy special products designed for skin care after the procedure. Most of them have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and prevent the appearance of irritation.
Table: Overview of popular cosmetics to prevent irritation
|Title||Description||Estimated cost at the beginning of 2018 (in rubles)|
|Start Epil (Moisturizing Milk)||290–350|
|Aravia Professional (mousse after depilation)||350–400|
|Cristaline (body emulsion after depilation)||600–700|
|Depilflax (mousse after depilation)||550–600|
|Kapous (refreshing gel after depilation with menthol and camphor)||300–350|
|Depileve (oil after depilation)||1300–1500|
There are a large number of pharmacy drugs that are not directly aimed at combating irritation, but due to pharmacological properties they can cope with this problem. They can be:
- any ointments with an antiseptic effect (Boro Plus, Miramistin, Rescuer, Actovegin),
- disinfectants (chlorhexidine, hydrogen peroxide, levomycetin),
- soothing anti-burn drugs (Panthenol, Pantestin),
- baby powder,
- baby cream.
The same means are used: the selected drug is applied to irritated areas of the skin. The procedure should be repeated 2-3 times a day.
Some cosmetologists are of the opinion that the use of oily creams and ointments can only exacerbate the problem, therefore, it is recommended to give preference to means with a drying effect.
Chlorhexidine and hydrogen peroxide can be used for compresses. To do this, it is necessary to soak a cotton pad and apply to the affected area for 10-15 minutes.
One of the effective remedies against irritations are herbal decoctions. To prepare a composition of this type it is necessary:
- Pour 2 tablespoons of raw materials with a glass of boiling water.
- Soak in a steam bath for 5-10 minutes.
- Wait for cooling, filter.
Herbs with calming and healing effects are able to cope with the problem:
Decoctions are used in two ways:
- Rubbing. To do this, moisten a cotton pad with the composition and treat irritated skin. Repeated rubbing is recommended 2-3 times a day.
- Compresses To perform the procedure, moisten the gauze folded in several layers and apply it to the affected area for 10-15 minutes.
Happy owners of a healing plant can use its medicinal power against irritation. To do this, you must:
- Cut the aloe leaf, rinse with warm water and carefully remove the "spikes".
- Cut the workpiece longitudinally.
- Wipe the affected area.
- Turn the pulp with a ceramic knife or blender into pulp and put on the treated areas for 10-15 minutes.
The antiseptic and regenerative properties of oils will help to cope with irritation. To do this, use one of the following recipes:
- in 3 tablespoons of any unrefined cold pressed vegetable oil, mix 5 drops of tea or rosewood essential oil,
- to 10 ml of grape seed oil pour in the essential oils of chamomile (2 drops) and lavender (3 drops),
- mix a tablespoon of olive oil with 2-3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil.
One of these compounds should be wiped off irritated skin and after 30-40 minutes remove the remaining product with a clean cloth.
Video: the main ways to deal with irritation after depilation
If you have aloe at home, cut the leaf, cut in half and so that in the leaf inside lubricate the irritation place - and so on at night and in the morning .. A couple of days and everything went, or even faster ... It helps and does not dry anything.
What can I advise against irritation ... Cream for children, be sure to scrub after shaving, and I also read that dry antiperspirant helps anyone, anyone ... I haven’t tried it myself, but they say that it just works wonders :)
I use napkins intimo sano, they relieve irritation well, soothe the skin, and everything goes much faster with them.
And I discovered talcum powder for myself (you can use baby powder). Wonderfully helps!
It’s from moisturizing creams that Burenka really helps me. It is gentle, but nutritious, after it the irritation passes very quickly.
Lemon juice relieves irritation, apply immediately after shaving 🙂
The topic is quite relevant, so I will share my secret. Personally, in such cases, Ilon ointment helps me very well. Pimples and redness pass literally in a day. You just need to smear the skin immediately after shaving and that's it.
I have a terrible irritation in the bikini area than I have not tried, but when after shaving I smeared Sinaflan ointment for the night, there was no irritation, it even bleaches in those places, everything is purely such beauty. This ointment against allergic and inflammatory reactions, even against acne helps. Only smear at night and sleep without linen.
In the series “Wonderful basket” there is a cream after depilation to slow hair growth. I use helps. If I suddenly forget and become inflamed, then I rub the calendula with alcohol tincture and smear it with baby cream with celandine.
The only thing that helps me from irritation is Tsindol. It’s worth a penny and harmless. And she began to use Nivea shaving gel for sensitive skin. It seems that there is less irritation, it appears only if you put on tights after shaving in the first two days (then of course horror), then Tsindol comes to the rescue.
I do shugaring, the bikini zone and armpits are very difficult to endure this procedure, Radevit helps me in this situation. It removes irritation, the skin quickly calms down and heals.
I wipe with alcohol tincture or salicylic alcohol, then with baby powder. Low cost and great effect.
You try ointment Ilon to smear the skin. She always helps me out. There used to be terrible irritation both after the machine and after the epilator. Now there is no such thing.
I have a cream with aloe from Cleven. It’s called “cream after depilation”, but the result is not very good. True, a little better than if not smeared at all, but, alas, not really ... ..
* ANGEL *
Even the most thorough removal of hairs from the body does not guarantee smooth and delicate skin. The effect can ruin the irritation, causing not only aesthetic, but also physical discomfort. To avoid the occurrence of a problem, it is important to choose the appropriate method of procedure, prepare the skin, properly perform depilation and provide the epidermis with further care. If irritation still appears, pharmacy and folk remedies will come to the rescue.
How to relieve irritation?
There are many ways to help deal with this unpleasant phenomenon. There are medications or home prescriptions.
If you don’t want to fool your head and prepare potions, then buy something from the suggested list at the pharmacy:
- Hydrogen peroxide,
- tea tree oil or eucalyptus.
Any remedy that has anti-inflammatory and disinfectant effects is also suitable.
There are excellent folk remedies that will help to remove irritation after waxing. It:
- A decoction of herbs: chamomile, calendula, plantain, string, celandine. It can be used either alone or individually. There is an option to make alcohol tincture from the same plant material. After wiping with it all the affected areas.
- Agave or scarlet. The sheet is washed under clean water, cut. The pulp is rubbed with irritation.
- Sunflower or olive oil. It is also advisable for them to process the skin twice a day.
If irritation persists for a long time and multiple ulcers appear, you should seek the help of a cosmetologist or dermatologist.
For prevention should:
- monitor the cleanliness of the epidermis,
- attend only a trusted salon and an experienced craftsman,
- do not wear squeezing and coarse clothing after hair removal,
- refuse cosmetics for the first two days,
- do not rub the epilated areas with a washcloth,
- pre-scrub the epidermis,
- Do not visit the solarium, baths, pools, sports sections for 3-4 days after waxing,
- Do not mechanically affect the skin
- thoroughly disinfect the dermis and all instruments.
Also, do not use a razor between waxing procedures. If you have sensitive skin, then after shaving you will definitely get irritation.
To avoid irritation after waxing, you need to conduct quality preparation before the procedure, carry it out according to all the rules and take the rehabilitation period seriously. Any mechanical stress will cause this embarrassment.
How to relieve irritation after waxing
When waxing, material is used whose purpose is to adhere to the vegetation after cooling. Removing wax, we thereby remove the hairs along with the root.
It is important that for effective treatment this substance must be heated. Depending on the technology, the wax can be warm or hot.
When any hot object is applied to the skin, the body tries to get rid of excess heat. To do this, he has a mechanism for the expansion of blood vessels and sweating.
This explains the redness after the manipulation, which occurs in almost every person. Normally, this picture lasts for several hours.
However, symptoms of irritation (edema, hyperemia and itching) indicate a slightly different origin - the so-called histamine reaction. Its background is the response of the human defense system.
In this case, the individual perceives the removal of the rod as an external invasion and releases a special product - histamine. It is produced in the cells that surround the trauma.
The objective of this product is to thin the walls of blood vessels, expand them to exit the "warriors" of blood, aimed at the destruction of the "enemy".
Outwardly, this manifests itself as edema, redness and is accompanied by intense itching.
Almost everyone in their life has encountered one form or another of a similar situation. For example, with a mosquito bite, allergies to pollen, contact with nettles and other similar incidents.
But this does not mean at all that you are allergic to the wax used (although this possibility is not excluded, too). Some people are simply prone to such an answer, and such a mechanism can accompany them quite often.
How to treat?
In the body there is a natural medicine that is produced by the adrenal glands under stress - cortisol. But he appears a little after histamine, to give him a chance to do his job.
This is expressed as the spontaneous elimination of all the above symptoms.
In other words, in certain cases, this can go away on its own within 24 to 48 hours. During this time, it makes sense to apply cold to narrow the vessels.
If after this stage nothing has changed, then it's time to take action.
Taking antihistamines (clarithin, suprastin, and others) in most cases will be quite effective therapy. If the itching is too intense, then there is no reason to delay taking these medications.
Local use of hormonal ointments based on cortisol will instantly remove all signs of inflammation. But it should be remembered that this is an extreme measure, and the use of such creams should be limited in order to avoid side effects.
You can also prevent the appearance of the discussed picture by taking the medicine before the session.
A regular visit to the beautician will thin the follicle, which will eliminate the histamine reaction of the body.
In addition, this will make hair removal less painful. Do not forget to inform your healthcare professional about such an incident.
After waxing, how to anoint irritation? Traditional medicine has all sorts of recommendations in this case. Please note that home treatment is permissible only with mild skin irritation. You can also resort to them when there is no way to get to a specialist, but you need to remove the pain syndrome, but then you should still go to the clinic.
How long is the irritation after waxing? It depends on its severity, the duration of the process used to treat drugs.
A calming and healing agent is aloe juice. You can make an application with a finely chopped plant or compress by soaking in a napkin with juice. All this must be fixed with an elastic bandage. You need to apply for several days, until complete cure.
Herbal decoctions are used in the same way. Some people prefer to use herbal cubes, especially if it is irritation after waxing on the face. The most effective are chamomile, a series. For a decoction, take one tablespoon of any grass in half a glass. In addition to the use in the form of a compress, the decoction can be sprayed or used in the form of rubbing the skin.
Take two tablespoons of chamomile and yarrow. Take the broth inside and do compresses twice a day for ten days. This method is the most affordable and popular.
- mix three tablespoons of grass string and one tablespoon of cornflower. Brew, do a compress twice a day at least ten times, if irritation on the face after waxing,
- mix an equal amount of chamomile and birch leaf, brew. Apply until completely cured
- cosmetic oils well remove irritation of the skin (you need to add a little essential oil to them). It is necessary to do at least five procedures when irritation after waxing on the hands,
- prepare a cream of petroleum jelly (or cosmetic oil) and camphor, which will immediately have a beneficial effect. Four to six treatments are usually enough,
- pour vegetable oil on the bottom of the glass, add a little mustard powder. Lubricate affected areas. The duration of treatment should not be less than five times, only then will the irritation disappear after waxing on the legs,
- grind carrots and a small tomato in a mixer. Add some oil. Apply to the sore spot daily for ten days,
- add two teaspoons of cosmetic oil to a teaspoon of onion juice. Three to five times will be enough for significant relief if irritation in the intimate area after waxing,
- finely chop the garlic, mix with grated potatoes or potato juice. Smear the affected area several times a week,
- mix two tablespoons of cabbage juice with one teaspoon of lemon juice, add a little cosmetic oil. Conduct a five-day course of treatment if irritation after waxing on the legs,
- good celandine in any form (juice, broth, tincture). Apply every day until complete recovery (at least a week),
- mix chopped Kalanchoe with fir oil, make compresses, keep until completely dry. The treatment is carried out five to seven times, removes the effects of waxing, facial irritation,
- clay therapy (purchased at a pharmacy) and mineral compresses will not interfere.
How long does irritation last after waxing? It depends on the characteristics of the body and the therapy used.
Alternative methods can be combined with traditional medicine, but it is absolutely impossible to replace it with them. Therefore, if the irritation is extensive and complex, does not go away for a long time, you need to go to an appointment with a specialist. In most cases, only local treatment allows relieving irritation after waxing.
Cosmetic care products
Special cosmetics used before / after waxing are quite effective. The complex care includes an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, emollient and healing agents. In addition to the healing effect, the remedies are good as nourishing the skin and as preventive. Most have a good “side effect” - they prevent the appearance of ingrown hairs, which often accompanies irritation in the intimate area after waxing.
Even if there are no special cosmetic or pharmacological preparations with therapeutic effect at home, you can use cheap “improvised” products that are present in any medicine cabinet. This is hydrogen peroxide. It is necessary to take the most weakly concentrated in order to exclude a chemical burn of the skin, especially if it is irritation after waxing on the face.
Chlorhexidine and Miramistin are more powerful, they are more suitable if irritation appears after waxing in the bikini zone. But they are not enough in complicated cases, for which Streptocide powder or ready-made solution of Furacilin, Levomycetin is more appropriate. Of the ointments in this case, zinc, gentamicin or tetracycline are suitable. In extreme cases, iodine or alcohol is suitable.
There are many drugs that are not directly designed to combat skin irritation, but indirectly affecting in a healing way. Panthenol-based preparations (Bepanten, Panthenol), as well as Levomekol, Rescuer, BoroPlus, Pantestin possess such properties. All of these medications quickly remove irritation after waxing a bikini, the most difficult to treat.